Nearly 100,000 Ride To Work On ‘Bike To Work Day’ In The Bay Area

May 14, 2018 14:00 pm · 19 comments

Nearly 100,000 people participated in Bike to Work Day on Thursday, according to event organizers.

The 24th annual event, presented by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, 511.org and Kaiser Permanente, saw thousands of commuters in the Bay Area bike to work on what was a good day for riding weather-wise, event organizers said. Many of the riders stopped at “energizer” stations to pick up treats and a tote bag of giveaways across the region on bikes instead of driving or taking public transport.

“It’s very practical for people to ride their bike to work when you live within a few miles of their job, as I do,” MTC Commissioner Jake Mackenize said in a statement.

The event is scheduled in conjunction with National Bike Month.

S May 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM

How did they arrive at this number? I didn’t not notice any increase of bike riders during my morning nor evening drive…

Whatever May 14, 2018 at 4:09 PM

They were tallying the number of cyclists that stopped at the stations that were set up. I did notice the increased number of cyclists. Maybe you didn’t see them because they were riding on the regional trail system or were taking BART.

Anonymous May 14, 2018 at 2:28 PM

The median commute distance for people who live Contra Costa county is like 9 miles and about 6 miles for people who work in CCC. So with good bike infrastructure a large portion of those who live and work in the county could bike to work.

martinezmike May 14, 2018 at 2:30 PM

And I thought it was “look silly in a helmet day”

Mimi (original) May 15, 2018 at 9:20 AM

LOLOLOL!

old-school guy May 14, 2018 at 2:30 PM

I wonder how many of them got back into their cars this morning.

Pedalin' Pinhead May 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Probably most of them. Doesn’t mean the whole thing was a bust. Public behavior, public attitudes, public policy, sometimes these things change over night, most times it’s a long slog over decades with countless unrecognized people putting one foot in front of the other to try and make a difference. I think the “bicycle movement” is very much in the the outreach and education phase. Significant actual infrastructure will come later.

I am an oddity. I never saw a reason to STOP riding a bike. That was almost fifty years ago. I am perplexed that so many adults just kind of gave it up as soon as they got a driver’s license. Or how many people just never learned. (???!!!). I have enjoyed decades of enhanced finances, physical and mental health, and general quality of life because of the humble bicycle. I strongly urge folks to give it a try.

Whatever May 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM

Thanks Pinhead. I got back on my bike a few years ago and am enjoying all the benefits you describe.

JazzMan May 14, 2018 at 6:21 PM

Thanks PP. I totally agree. Can’t understand why more don’t ride. So many positive reasons.

Jojo Potato May 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Too bad the station at cc canal and IHT had run out of bags. But I did enjoy talking to the great guys from EBRP and CCTA. Sorry that not everyone can enjoy our great riding.

WC resident May 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM

If you want a bag I might be able to give you the one I got last year. It’s a messenger bike bag styled bag. I ended up never using it as I prefer a backpack if I’m going to carry stuff.

Kenji May 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Jojo, drop a line to Smitty at Bike Concord. I think BC has some bags left over.

Newellian May 14, 2018 at 2:42 PM

I thought it was “wear tight, unflattering shorts day”……..

Captain Concord May 14, 2018 at 3:27 PM

I ride to work most days and I saw two or three times as many people riding on Thursday as I usually do.

Green, cheap, fun, and healthy.

Whatever May 14, 2018 at 4:11 PM

I live a nice 6 mile bike ride from my job. There’s two.

TIFOKCIS May 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM

The closet thing I saw to a bicycle was a woman pushing a baby stroller. I gave her a green, cheap, fun high five and she flipped me off. I’ll include healthy next year.

WC resident May 14, 2018 at 6:31 PM

The tally included people on foot walking dogs, jogging, etc. and people on bicycles out for exercise. I chatted with the guy with the counter at the station that was at the intersection of the Contra Costa Canal trail and Iron Horse Trail. He had over 500 in the morning and was in the high 400s for the evening shift. Let’s put them at 1,000 even meaning 1% of all the bicyclists tallied that day passed through that intersection in the morning/afternoon.

Some stations were open all day. This one only had coverage in the morning and afternoon/early evening shifts.

ClayDen May 14, 2018 at 6:39 PM

The shortest commute I’ve ever had is 29 miles each way, so biking to work has never been an option, nor has been BART. But then I choose to live in Clayton and jobs that require my skills aren’t close or convenient to BART. Life is full of trade-offs.

joatmeal May 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM

Electric-assist bikes will make longer commutes much easier. We still have to figure out how to separate cars and bikes. I rode my bike to work for years until I changed jobs. I miss my old bike commute.