49 Citations Issued To Drivers On Kirker Pass Rd., Railroad Ave. This Morning

April 25, 2018 15:18 pm · 40 comments

49 citations were issued to drivers on Kirker Pass Rd. and Railroad Ave. in Pittsburg this morning between 7 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., according to Pittsburg Police.

20 of the 49 citations were for talking/texting on cell phones while driving, according to police.

ChuckStir April 25, 2018 at 3:31 PM

If every city had officers dedicated to ticketing those on cell phones while driving the cities would never go broke. Face it, cell phones are only behind oxygen and food as a necessity these days.

Frank April 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Yeah…good job.

Cowellian April 25, 2018 at 3:45 PM

If I remember correctly, cell phone violations in California are not considered moving violations and don’t result in points on your driving record.

Ricardus April 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Wow, this law needs to change. I’m down with “Making a cellphone violation a point on your driving record” proposition.

Slappy April 25, 2018 at 10:37 PM

You are correct, and that absolutely needs to change.

Jack up the fines, too.

Klishnor April 26, 2018 at 4:28 AM

In the UK you get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone when driving. If you passed your driving test in the last 2 years you’ll just lose your licence and have to pay for a provisional licence and then a re-test.
12 or more points within three years and you are banned from driving for 6 months (first offence), 12 months (second) or 24 months (third and subsequent). Similar levels of punishment apply throughout the EU, and points in one country apply in all the others.

TheYellowRanger April 25, 2018 at 3:50 PM

Seriously about time. Most people don’t care about the law unless it is enforced.

Maryann April 25, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Good, long overdue

Stove April 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Saw many people getting pulled over this morning on my way into work, it really slowed down the commute into work with so may cops around, saw about 4 bike cops. But keep up the work getting the cell phoners off the road.

Kirker_Pass April 25, 2018 at 5:48 PM

There as an accident at Hess this morning; don’t know what time you were going through though.

Notyouraverage April 25, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Can you check single passagers in the 🔷️from pittsburg to walnut creek please!

Wildcat April 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Had a lady run a stop sign in front of me yesterday on the way to work on Landana. Yacking up a storm in her cell phone.
Today a woman almost drive up on the sidewalk down from Concord High, again yacking in her cell.

Nunya April 25, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Keep up the good work!

Ricardus April 25, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Love this. Thanks Concord PD.

BagsFlyFree April 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Cash overpass… Keep it up PD’s!

BFF Out!

ClayDen April 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Good job. Talking/texting on cell phones is dangerous enough on most roads, but in traffic and on Kirker Pass it is unconscionable.

Both hands on the wheel, full attention on the road.

Blink April 25, 2018 at 5:45 PM

That’s great keep up good work

Kirker_Pass April 25, 2018 at 5:47 PM

They could have issued 49 more if they would have been there this afternoon. I hope they keep ticketing these crazy people who drive 80 up there.

Cowellian April 25, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Apparently, HOV violations are also considered non-moving violations.

I don’t know how much money the City would get from these tickets. The fine is a fairly small percentage of the overall cost of a ticket. There are a lot of fees added to each ticket, and each fee goes to a specific agency.

Sal April 25, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Good work, thanks CPD.Target red light runners next please.

BroncoDonco April 25, 2018 at 5:59 PM

@Ricardus, Pittsburg PD….was the major police department participating.

ScreenName April 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM

I am so happy to hear all those nasty car phone talkers and texters are getting their just deserts. Of course, I’ll be grousing about the law when I get a ticket doing the same thing.

Chester E. Kitty April 25, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Good work PD! People drive like idiots on this road!

chuckie the troll April 25, 2018 at 8:07 PM

Is this where I say, “About time!”?

When law enforcement professionals finish their work on Kirker Pass, they should concentrate on Treat and Clayton Road.

Matt April 25, 2018 at 9:31 PM

Still won’t stop me from texting or watching movies while I drive.

Same April 26, 2018 at 5:35 AM

Yes, I enjoy a good movie and a nap while I drive too. Perhaps you meant listening to a movie?

Cowellian April 26, 2018 at 7:30 AM

Did you ever dream that you were driving across Kirker Pass, and wake up to discover you were?

Nature Rules! April 25, 2018 at 11:05 PM

Like this a lot! Now let’s get some crosswalk stings going in Concord: Oakland by the BART station; Navaronne Way and Treat; Cowell Road and Concord B. where they cross the canal trail. Crank up all traffic violations by a factor of 10 – a $100 fine becomes $1000 – and watch the reckless suddenly find they can actually obey the laws.

Citizen April 26, 2018 at 7:42 AM

We need to make distracted driving a moving violation! Penalize the heck out these monsters!

Concord74 April 26, 2018 at 8:05 AM

What is needed is to make the citation a moving violation so their insurance are impacted. That won’t discourage them from continuing the violation but their insurance will go up.
This is going to trigger an up-tick of applications to enroll in law schools. All this activity will benefit those online colleges and law schools overall! I remember reading a number of years ago a quote that “…laws are made to be broken!…”! This was printed in the Times a number of years ago when a young smart-aleck was asked about law-breaking.
The reply by “KLISHNOR” bears good info that maybe the US should embrace.

Concord Guy April 26, 2018 at 9:01 AM

Then there are those who drive 50+ mph on Clayton Road, weaving in and out of lanes without signaling.

Snozzerama April 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM

I’ve got a ticket texting while driving, went to court to fight it and officer didn’t show. Judge saved me for last hoping officer would get there then it came my turn. Judge asked me “I don’t suppose you’d like to reschedule would you?” I laughed and said noooe. Judge was pretty pissed by his tone of voice I got off the ticket. This was my second texting ticket and both were dismissed.
I was mad I couldn’t actually argue with the officer in court.
Always go to court, you got a good chance the officer won’t show.

Mimi (original) April 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Every day I’m amazed at how many people driving are STILL holding their cell phones and talking!! How long has the law been in place?? I have a cell phone holder tucked into a corner of my windshield so that I can get WAZE instructions and see whose calls/texts I’m missing. People remain stupid…

Snozzerama April 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Most people don’t care about motor vehicle laws such as phone on your ear or texting. Just take a look around while your driving or at a light, NO ONE CARES and I’m one of them.

Lisa April 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM

YES… April is Nationals Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Pittsburg, Antioch, Oakley and Brentwood police departments are participating!!!

Snozzerama April 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM

“April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month” mentioned above…

Don’t mean a thing to me just like any other National observance month of some sort doesn’t either.

People Pleaser April 26, 2018 at 6:30 PM

As I was sitting in stopped traffic today, I was wondering how bad traffic would be if we could take all illegal drivers off the road. People driving without licenses, out of registration vehicles, no insurance, illegal immigrants, etc….How bad would the traffic be then?

Big John April 28, 2018 at 6:43 AM

When is concord pd going to issue tickets on concord side of kirker pass

Big Johnson April 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM

Law enforcement should think about doing some inforcement on Treat Blvd between Clayton Road and Bancroft during the week beginning at 6 a.m. I’m surprised that between the speeding, illegal lane changes and cell phone use there aren’t more accidents every day.

JustMe April 29, 2018 at 7:21 PM

It seems as if more and more people are on their phones these days, especially at stops. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been behind someone during a green light, and they’ve failed to notice because they were on their phone.

The other day, I noticed a driver watching a video on their phone in the morning, on their way to work. It’s crazy. I’m glad they’re cracking down on Kirker Pass and Railroad. I think they need to watch Ygancio and Clayton Rd. I can’t tell you how many times people are speeding on those roads, especially early morning and late at night. Some don’t even respond to traffic lights, which is extremely dangerous.