Motorcycle Crash On Hwy.242 In Concord Claims Life Of Brentwood Man – Pregnant Female Also Involved In Collision

April 20, 2018 12:33 pm · 75 comments

A motorcyclist has died after a crash on hwy.242 in Concord near Concord Ave., according to the California Highway Patrol.

The CHP says the victim, identified as a 37-year-old man from Brentwood, was ejected from the motorcycle and was trapped under a Infiniti SUV at about 6:45 this morning. Once the rider was removed from under the SUV, medical personnel on scene declared him deceased.

It appears that the rider of the motorcycle was splitting lanes between the #1 and #2 lanes of hwy.242 southbound in heavy traffic, according to the CHP. For an unknown reason, the rider quickly slowed down, causing him to veer right into the #2 lane, where he collided his motorcycle into the back of the Infiniti, the CHP said.

The pregnant driver of the Infiniti was transported to John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek for precautionary reasons. Neither her or her baby were injured.

It is unknown if alcohol or drugs are a factor in this collision, as it is still under investigation, the CHP said.

If anyone witnessed it or the events leading up to it, please contact Contra Costa CHP in Martinez, 925-646-4980. Thank you.

Sam April 20, 2018 at 12:56 PM

My heart goes out to this man and his family and friends. Its so tragic.

Common Sense April 20, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Lane splitting is insane

imho April 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM

The whole lane splitting thing is out of control, anyhow. Most recently, I see motorcyclists gesturing angrily at motorists who don’t move out of the way sufficiently in the opinion of the rider. Not all motorists are constantly looking in their side views in anticipation of a rider blowing by them.

Kirkwood April 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM

I also see riders wave thanks to those who move over a bit.

Concordmom April 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Every single day on my way home on Highway 24! There is this motorcyclist, who gets all the way to Concord on a black motorcycle. I’ve seen him kick peoples cars, hit people mirrror’s, flip people off. Hes dangerous and you can’t ever get his plate, because he goes too fast!

imho April 20, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Yes no doubt – you see that as well, Kirkwood.. Regardless, slitting introduces more problems – if traffic is under, say 30 mph on freeway, then ok and understandable – but if traffic is at or near limit, then chill out.

Martinez Rez April 21, 2018 at 9:59 AM

I’ve also seen some of the mirror hitting A hole motorcyclists while on the way home. I’ve seen the same Harley riding D bag on 24 gesturing with his middle finger and waving at drivers as though they are stupid. He splits lanes across the whole freeway and like the other comment, clearly assumes everyone should be looking for him. Some of these guys really are just looking for a fight.

Drivers that move all the way over into the emergency lane are freaking idiots. Its absolutely not needed, annoying and clearly done by someone that has no idea how much room a bike needs. If the guy on the bike is splitting lanes, hes doing so knowing what room he has. Cars that move all the way over and outside the lane don’t help at all. Now moving to one side of a lane to give a little clearance is all that is needed. But as a driver my goal is to get to work and home safely. If someone wants to split lanes I dont care. I don’t look for them, and I don’t disable anyone either. But if I see a bike I will definitely move to one side of the lane.

I ride motorcycles and I’ll split lanes in heavy traffic. From the perspective of a motorcyclist we see a crapton of people on their phones or just otherwise distracted. Its amazing how many people just don’t see anything that isn’t directly in front of their face, and with that I get why some of the motorcyclists turn into hotheads. Watching drivers I often wonder how some of these people tie their shoes.

One of the best things anyone can do is get out of the way of anyone else. Don’t be a jerk and be slow in the left lane. After a highway interchange get over!!! If you were slow in the right lane, well you are and ignorant slow prick in the left lane. If you think speeding should stop at 80mph and hold left lane, get the hell over!! Other speeding motorists have your same view but at a different speed cap. Let them go, they aren’t disabling you at all so if one of them was in front of you that guy isn’t a reason you’d be slowing down. Left to pass really should be a law in this state.

If a guy splits the right lanes hes an idiot. There is way too much happening on the right side. I feel bad for the motorcyclists family. Not him at all.

Laughingtothebank April 20, 2018 at 1:16 PM

So sorry to hear this. It’s tricky when you’re riding a motorcycle.

Suzanne April 20, 2018 at 1:27 PM

It is sad to imagine what his family is going through. Today, a beautiful day. Going about one’s business like any other day. Then…

Not saying it was his fault, but riders do need to be more cautious and SLOW DOWN when lane splitting. I don’t ride but I would never, ever trust the cars around me to pay attention or give me any space whatsoever.

Cher April 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM

SO SAD! The traffic through there is terrible too. The left lanes are doing 90 and the right lanes are doing 40. I also hate lane splitting. I think motorcycles should have the shoulder to drive on. It is so unsafe out there. And lane splitting is just an accident waiting to happen.

chuckie the troll April 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM

I HATE lane-splitting, especially during the commute. Had too many close calls with them. And when an accident does happen the driver of the car is traumatized and faces a possible civil suit.

Theresa April 20, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Very sad tragedy. I don’t understand why lane splitting is legal, it’s more like suicidal with the way people drive now days and the rude asses who don’t give the bikes room. It would be so much safer to just let the bikes travel on the shoulder during heavy traffic instead of them taking fatal chances. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends. Be safe to all the ones on bikes.

JD April 20, 2018 at 8:49 PM

I feel bad for the woman driving the SUV. Lane splitting is NOT legal. My sympathy goes to the woman, not the cyclist.

Stupid Should Hurt April 21, 2018 at 6:27 AM

JD: Lane splitting IS legal in California. Check your facts first. Obviously, you know nothing about motorcycles or motorcyclists.

JazzMan April 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Sorry for the loss. I’ve always said lane splitting is dangerous.

Whitebike Mike April 20, 2018 at 2:06 PM

I have to add my 2 cents on this one-
Lane splitting is legal.
As a motorcycle rider you are not entitled to that “lane”.
Cars are not required to look behind them.
Not all cars are not looking for you to come flying by.
You need to split lanes at a speed where you will be able to react to someone changing lanes or texting or whatever.
In todays traffic, the motorcycle will beat the car home everytime
…unless you get your ass run over!

Purple Queen April 20, 2018 at 7:04 PM

Excellent synopsis Whitebike Mike! Now that everybody got the facts use some common sense on the road. That is all!

Bruce Mazur April 20, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Don’t know why those guys lanesplitt all the time.Very dangerous.

Gitittogether April 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM

RIP. May have been a driver in the #1 lane was driving solo (illegally) and thought the motorcyclist was a cop, so veered in front of him and he veered right. Yep, a lot of supposing, but that’s happened to me. Regardless, the caliber of drivers (bikes or cars) bet Antioch & Pleasanton is horrendous.

just me April 20, 2018 at 6:31 PM

WRONG!!! This was not on Highway 4 there is no carpool lane here.

It's Time... April 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM

I think it’s time for designated motorcycle lanes for freeways. RIP rider.

Commuter April 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM

This was the saddest thing I have ever seen and my prayers go out for him and his family. Yes! he was lane splitting but was doing nothing wrong. The bike in front of him went by fine but the tow truck that he passed got too close to him and hit the poor man with the back of the flat beds tire. I was right behind this and it was like it happened in slow motion. I hope they find the tow truck that left the scene. My advice to the bikers, just drive safe and get to you destination its not worth the couple minuets you save.

Shiloh April 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM

The tow truck got too close? If the rider was lane splitting, then he is the one who got too close. It’s like making a right turn on a red. It’s legal, but only when you can safely do it. I wouldn’t lane split next to a tow truck – they’re huge! They are about as wide as the lane.

just me April 20, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Shiloh what is your problem???You are addressing the witness that saw the whole thing. You are an idiot.

Sam April 20, 2018 at 7:12 PM

Jusr Me – There is no cause to call someone an idiot for merely asking a question. This sounds like nothing more than a horrible accident. It also serves as a reminder that motorcyclists splitting lanes need to be extra careful. Most people dont expect another vehicle to be in there lane driving between them and the car next to them. Im sorry but the motorcyclist made an unfortunatel mistake. The tow trucker probably never even knew motorcyclist had collided with his vehicle.

Lil ol' me April 20, 2018 at 7:23 PM

@just me
Lol!

Commuter April 21, 2018 at 7:35 AM

The tow truck knew that he hit the bike because he pulled over got out looked got back in his car and took off. I didn’t even get the plate cause I was more concerned about the biker and trying to help him. So yes I seen exactly what happened and and accident maybe what it started as but a hit an run is what it turned into. And yes I wish I would have got the plate put I thought the tow truck was going to help assist.

Vic April 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM

Lane splitting is not a requirement. If a rider wants to take this chance, this gamble its their right but if they get hurt or killed they know thats a possibility

Brodie April 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM

Commuter did u report all that.

Commuter April 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM

Brodie
I’m so sorry for your and your families loss. Your brother will definitely be with me forever. As yes I reported everything I’m hoping that the bike that he was right in back of had a cam usually the street bikes do. CHP said they were going to speak to him as well.

P-Reign April 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM

first of all RIP to the rider . . . also thoughts / prayers for the driver of the SUV very traumatic start to her day

from what I recall lane splitting was originally made legal to avoid damage to the air-cooled motorcycle engines (not good for them to sit and idle in traffic – leads to severe overheating). . . . these days i rarely (never?) see anything but water-cooled motorcycles lane splitting . . . . maybe the time has come to change the law??

$.02

P-Reign

Rollo Tomasi April 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM

Lane splitting was only somewhat recently made legal. Prior to that, the law had never formally addressed the practice. That is, it wasn’t illegal, so riders did it.

Chicken Little April 20, 2018 at 6:14 PM

So, P-Reign, you never see any Harleys splitting lanes?

Martinez Rez April 21, 2018 at 10:39 PM

P-Reign!!!!!! Great idea!!!! Changing the law always works!!!!!!!

Lets see. Its illegal to speed. Illegal to be on your phone while driving. Illegal to drink and drive. I don’t have all day so lets start with these three. Have you seen, been a victim or been the offender in any of these? I have. I bet you have. Perhaps you roll a stop sign. We’ve all done something we’d rather not admit.

Follow the law to a T? Perhaps you are the one and only golden exception. I have a strange feeling you aren’t. Yeah changing the law doesn’t fix actions. Common sense does and its free. So lets go spend a sh!t load of money changing the law that no one will follow. F’n genius! Watch out guys!, Mother Teresa is on a roll…

Moon Dog April 20, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Lane splitting is all bad !!! When you see a Harley flying down the Freeway on the other side of the Yellow stripe that’s me .. much safer ..R.I.P Bro

Lover of motorcycles April 20, 2018 at 3:50 PM

I’m guessing all those people who have opinions on splitting lanes are not motorcycle riders or you would know why it is safer and why we do it. Every time someone dies everyone on this website is an expert on things they know nothing about.

Imagine this. I’m a passenger on a bike. I’m in stopped traffic and get rear ended because someone is on their phone not paying attention. You think that’s safer than splitting lanes for me? Nope.

I ride and I’m in the insurance business. I deal with accidents everyday. So yea you bet your ass we’re splitting lanes.

Any questions look up the Berkeley study done on lane splitting (if done properly)

Nunya April 20, 2018 at 4:51 PM

So your argument is that is dangerous raiding bike if you don’t split lanes. Stop riding a bike! Problem solved…

Opps, except you don’t waanaaaaaaaa!!!

P-Reign April 20, 2018 at 4:54 PM

you are incorrect in your generalization some motorcycle riders choose not to split lanes because it doesn’t feel safe and they do not trust the distracted automobile drivers around them . . . just as you criticize those on this website for becoming “experts” based on a small sample size of accidents / deaths (while lane-splitting) ironic that you cite only one study as the gospel for why lane-splitting is safer??
very interesting study though

a couple statements from the study you referenced:
LSM (lane-splitting motorcycle) accidents are 2.6% likely to be rear-end accidents vs 4.6% for non-LSM
However, LSM accidents are 38% likely to have rear-ended another vehicle vs 16% for non-LSM

For me the slight advantage in trying to avoid being rear-ended while NOT lane-splitting is hardly worth the greatly increased likelihood of rear-ending another vehicle.

as always statistics can be interpreted in a million different ways . . . . my point is that some of us against lane-splitting (and no, i am NOT typically a fan of increased government involvement) actually do ride / have ridden

P-Reign

Lover of motorcycles April 21, 2018 at 12:35 AM

You clearly don’t live a life on two wheels nunya or you would understand why it’s so enjoyable. Everyone can share the road safely. We all hope for that on a daily basis ❤️

Lover of motorcycles April 21, 2018 at 12:50 AM

P-reign you are correct because the other factor is air cooled motors.

I’m not in college anymore (although I spent 5 years in college graduating with two degrees) so I don’t feel the need to submit multiple sources.

And I CAN generalize that we do what we need to do for safety because these people are my friends and family. We do what we need to do to stay alive while enjoying the full meaning of Life on two wheels. It’s not for everyone but respect it because we have families who love us too.

Elaine Leon April 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM

DEVASTATING

Ane April 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM

I always move to the left when I am on the fast lane. Its safer for me and give them more room. They always wave when I do that. Now I also see how some drivers get closer like they should not be on the road.

Non Native April 20, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Ride a bike, split lanes, pay the price. They don’t call them Murdercycles for no reason.

Lynn April 20, 2018 at 6:01 PM

I actually had him pass me on the freeway not even 30 seconds before this had happened. I see him every morning and evening on my commute home. He was being safe as he could be. It’s just so sad that this had happened. My prayers go out to the family.

R April 20, 2018 at 6:03 PM

I thought lane-splitting originally was allowed when motorcycles were water cooled and they would overheat sitting in traffic. My understanding is that many are oil-cooled now. I’m not against lane splitting but many people driving are not looking for motorcyclists to be doing this and the motorcyclists that I’ve witnessed are whipping in and out of traffic because they can. Traffic can be moving at a decent pace not stopped and some folks on their bikes come flying through so if you’re doing 65 and they may be doing 70-80 there’s not a lot of time to react once you see them in your rearview mirror. I am so sorry for this guy and his family and I’m so sorry for the gal who was driving the SUV. It’s just tragic all the way around.

R April 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM

correction on my post. I meant to say air air-cooled in my reasoning why I thought bikes originally could split lines. Not water cooled.

just me April 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM

No such thing as an oil cooled bike.

Andy April 20, 2018 at 6:23 PM

My condolences to the rider, his family, and his friends. I ride that stretch of hwy every morning usually splitting lanes. It’s tight there and there’s a lip between lanes one and two. I went by the scene while the bike and SUV were still there. Very sad for all involved.

Gieg April 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM

I used to ride with a guy that lane splitters pissed him off So bad, he just wanted to open his door into one- what an asshole! I chewed his ass out of course. I told him I hope he got a chance to do that, and get caught. I hoped he had to learn how bad he wrecked the lives of the guy’s family. Then hoped he had plenty prison time to think about what he done with his asshole attitude. Point fingers all you want, but be more watchful all of you! There are too many people on the roads that do NOT pay enough attention, and Every One is responsible for being careful. That means Looking for potential hazards- those May Become an emergency!!!! PLEASE pay enough attention that accidents stop happening all together

hogriderjay April 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Just like anything else common sense must be used in all motorcycle riding. I have ridden my bike hundreds of thousand of miles. I have a rule to never go over 25 or 30 mph splitting lanes. With a 800 pound Harley it is extremely difficult to sit with stop and go traffic. Lane splitting is legal and a must for me. But I do see a lot of abuse by riders. More education is needed. I can definitely say that 99.9% of CA motorists are extremely courteous to bikers splitting lanes and i appreciate that. Myself..I always thank them and I try to be a good biker for the sake of others. That poor guy who died..I feel horrible. But dont blame lane splitting laws.

alex April 20, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Why would he suddenly brake? because some moron in a car probably merged without looking… caused an accident then took off running to get away. Find it hard to believe there was no witness at all? was the road EMPTY?

Anyway people who ride bikes should be prepared to lose their life. Honestly when i ride i always think about not making it home, and thats OK. I take my chances. Why do you even want to be 100% of time safe?! what is the purpose of life then? Simply existing in the safety bubble? I dont get it. take some risks for once, enjoy the life while it lasts.

RIP rider.

crittymancritty April 20, 2018 at 8:57 PM

@concordmom….im that guy on the black motorcycle, and if ya swerve hella fast without even using your signal to jump in the lane next to you just because its going 5 miles per hour faster then your damn right im slappin your mirror or flippin you off. People want to do stupid unsafe lane changes putting motorcyclists at risk all to get a couple car length’s ahead in traffic. And don’t hate on us because we are getting home in less than half the time as people in cars … I know its sucks for the people stuck in traffic, as they watch us fly on by, but thats their choice to sit in that mess….

Taggit April 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM

You know what? I’m the car behind the car behind you waiting at the signal.

crittymancritty April 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM

good for you. You want a prize or something

Just me April 23, 2018 at 6:49 AM

Tell em how it is critter

Coobie April 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM

If lane splitting is for air cooled motors why can’t old VWs lane split ? Just saying

Cool story bro April 20, 2018 at 9:43 PM

I bet you wouldn’t be slapping mirrors without a clean lane to split to get away. Punks. I’m cautious of bikes, and I’ve had my mirror slapped multiple times. Get over yourselves. So many entitled assholes.

Just me April 23, 2018 at 6:53 AM

If the man you are referring to is who I think he is he is a big corn fed mofo and he would not require a way to get away. He isnt afraid to tangle with anybody.

WC resident April 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM

@Cool story bro – I’ve never had my mirrors, nor any part of my car slapped. It’s time to look into your mirror.

Dawn April 20, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Here is a mathematical fact for ALL motorists, bikers or vehicles: You can NEVER go faster than the average speed of the traffic!! Ponder that while trying to get somewhere faster during commute traffic on a freeway.

Same April 21, 2018 at 5:22 AM

Everyone should get rear and front facing dashcams.

JTB April 21, 2018 at 7:45 AM

My condolences to the family of the motorcyclist & I hope the mom & baby-to-be are both healthy & recuperate quickly.

FYI – Lane splitting is legal. effective Jan. 1, 2017. CVC 21658.1 defines lane splitting. Here are the links to CHP’s safety guidelines for lane splitting:

Please think twice before you speak about something you may or may not know anything about. There are at least two families out there today that won’t be enjoying their day today like you & I are. One has lost a loved one & the other is most likely still worried about the health of their unborn baby & Mom. With that being said, I hope everyone has a safe & happy weekend & that you never have to experience anything like what happened yesterday.

Randy April 21, 2018 at 9:29 AM

If you’re lane splitting rev your engine so I know you’re coming and I will make extra space.

Tammy Guzman April 21, 2018 at 9:32 AM

R.I.P.
My heart goes out to family and friends… and Thank God the pregnant woman and her baby is ok..

Shane April 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM

I drive a sprinter van for my full time job all around the greater sf bay area and the lane splitting has became horrible! I have to say yes 50% of motorcyclist wave in a common courtesy that you are moving over for them, but then there’s the other half that are overly rude, aggresive, and just honestly plain ignorant. I don’t care how fast my bike was, I would never want to play chicken with a 13 ft sprinter van if I’m on a bike. One sudden wrong move and you are a sad story.

Brodie April 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM

This is that man’s brother. Let me fill u in on the character my brother was. Most solid tough straight forward character there is… u have anything bad to say come holler at me in person. Lane splitting is legal is the people that can’t ur don’t know how to ride that have no care for us motorcyclists out there. He was a father friend an son he was my best friend. Was noted he was riding sensible and was for unknown reasons push to the right. I don’t blame anyone. But if he was in fact hit by a tow truck an he left the scene would love to meet u brotha an deal with you 1 on 1. I love you B never forgotten. 4/10/81-4/20/18 my angel.

Mathew April 22, 2018 at 12:01 AM

Man Brodie I’m so sorry I don’t even know what else to say send some love to your folks from me and hope to see everyone soon

con April 21, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Brodie sorry for your loss. Less then 1 percent of people have ever been on a bike. They dont give a s*** about anyone”s fam

Bull April 21, 2018 at 8:57 PM

I Ride I don’t kick cars or swear at people . Have loud pipes . Some people are in there own world. And don’t see bikes. Most people show considerate respect. . We all need not be daredevils in cars or bikes. sorry for the family’s loss. God bless drive safe. Weez l

SFwhitegirl49 April 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM

My heart goes out to this man and his family and friends. I can’t imagine what his family & friends are going through;
It’s such a tragic. Thank the lord that the women & her unborn child are o.k. to the Miss:Im sorry that you had to experience such a horrific thing, something that you will stay with you forever. I’m sorry. 🌱
God bless everyone. ⚘⚘⚘

SFwhitegirl49 April 21, 2018 at 10:51 PM

To all of you who lost someone dear to you the ones you truly love never leave you as long as you keep them in your memories and in your hearts. I don’t know what you believe, but I truly think there is an afterlife where we will be reunited with our loved ones. When that day comes, I intend to meet them not with regret, but happiness and the knowledge I spent everyday living my life to the very best of my ability. I hope and pray to God gives them rest for I believe he is a kind loving being I know that no words of mine can give comfort but at least know there is one other soul out there who does care for your loss. Every human life is precious and means something to somebody to someone. Even if you don’t realize it, there is always going to be someone that cares. So, let us not be sorrow, but instead rejoice⚘

Coreen April 21, 2018 at 11:07 PM

@Commuter have you told all this to the CHP? If not will you please contact the nearest CHP office to you and let them know what you saw? Also, you made a comment you didn’t get the plate of the tow truck driver… did you by any chance see or remember the name of the tow truck company? That might be beneficial as well….

Commuter April 22, 2018 at 8:10 AM

@Coreen yes I spoke to CHP and let them know everything. At that time they were questioning is a tow truck was involved or not. Some people mentioned it some didn’t. I was the car right in back of the tow truck and bike in lane #1 and next to the SUV in lane #2 so yes there was definitely a tow truck. And I did give the company name of it I remember it being. Hopefully they actually look into it or go back through the cameras on Highway 4.

Mathew April 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM

R.I.P cousin you were too young , my heart goes out to my aunt uncle and his brother his kids my whole family it’s tragic so sad I don’t know what to say but I’m sorry for your loss all our loss

Magoo April 23, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Lane splitting is legal , I have been riding over fifty years, I don’t speed between cars like I see alot of bikes doing . To me that is insane. If traffic is moving at 25mph I’m happy not to split lanes. And I believe that loud pipes save lives. RIp brother.