Caltrans Releases Bicycle, Pedestrian Plan To Improve Transport

April 20, 2018 10:00 am · 14 comments

Caltrans has released its first-ever bicycle and pedestrian plan to improve and organize “active transportation” methods in California.

The plan sets a goal of creating safe biking and walking conditions on California roads for people of all ages, abilities and incomes by 2040.

The agency also wants to double the amount of walking, triple bicycle use and double transit usage between 2010 and 2020.

Caltrans’ goals are closely tied to the state’s climate strategy with hopes of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030.

The Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 – known as the gas tax – is financing Caltrans with $1 billion to carry out the project over the next ten years.

California residents can access the plan online at http://www.dot.ca.gov/activecalifornia/theplan.html.

RANDOM TASK April 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM

LOL WAS WAITING FOR THIS ….the dems never fail to abuse power or scam a tax hike

So a road tax that all the dems promised would go to repairing roads

Obviously being used for a dem campaign propaganda stunt

NO BIG SURPRISE HERE 50 years of dem control and power has led to out right lying and corruption on a level where they don’t even hide it anymore

Let’s take a guess on November for another tax ploy or fund or fee to pay for roads again.

Welcome to communist socialism …you blame trump for communism your promoting and voting for it everyday good work

Cellophane April 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM

So much for fixing our roads and bridges.

Ellen Teapot April 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM

This plan will help Contra Costa County and East Bay Parks keep expanding and improving our trail system. We have great north-south links with the Iron Horse Trail and Contra Costa Canal Trail, but there’s no good, safe east-west route through Concord and to Martinez. Smaller projects like painting bike lanes and adding soft-hit posts can also make a big impact for not that much money compared to, say, the fancy new express lanes on I-680.

Pedalin' Pinhead April 20, 2018 at 2:37 PM

@Ellen Teapot. Agreed, there are many frustrating “no go zones” for bicyclists and pedestrians. I bike and walk a lot, and it is interesting to me that some areas that are perfectly cyclable are virtually unwalkable, and vice versa.

I could go on and on with examples, but I recently added another item to my mental collection of reasons Concord’s streets are broken. I was on foot headed roughly from Newhall Park to Cowell Park. The sun went down. My usual and preferred route would take me out the back of the park, by Mel’s Diner, continue on the trail and through Markham Park and over a dicey but short shoulder of Cowell Rd to Babel Ln. Knowing the gist of the security issues Markham Park has had in recent years, I didn’t want to be the guy caught in a police search light while “just passing through” .

So what are the other options that are legal, and SAFE? Cowell Rd between Cape Cod and Babel is out the question. Bicycling is no problem, but I wouldn’t walk that stretch even in broad daylight. People do, and it gives me the willies every time. Joan Ave is fine, except for where it’s not. There are multiple sections that barely have room for two cars to pass, it’s dark, and the place where the people go is sometimes a ditch.

Clayton Rd has sidewalks. Not pleasant, but it has sidewalks. It’s also way in the heck over there. I wasn’t over there, I was over here.

Concord Blvd also has dark, dangerous parts with no sidewalks. There is no through alternative route between Clayton Rd and Concord Blvd.

So the ONLY legal, and almost safe, way to walk from the east end of town towards downtown is to take Clayton Rd all the way?! Not exactly what you would call, “family friendly” . Remember that the police can and will give you a ticket for riding on the sidewalk, should you attempt that route on your bike.

The same dilemma occurs as I continue towards BART and downtown. Not walking on Cowell Rd at ANY hour. No sidewalks, barely a shoulder, fast cars. Do what everybody does, “trespass” through Cowell Park, “trespass” on the Canal Trail, and through the neighborhood to BART? Or go way out of my way to Clayton Rd up Babel Ln, sort of cheating because I know I can use the relative safety of the El Dorado Dr short cut, and avoid the dark, sidewalk-less stretch of Babel?

Sorry for the long rant. Larger point is, I am fleet of foot and can overcome these obstacles. For many people, this ain’t Pamplona and they didn’t sign up for this “Running of the Cars: Concord Edition”. People of all ages and abilities should be able to safely traverse the majority of Concord’s streets, and I don’t mean going in circles in their little neighborhood bubbles. I mean being able to walk or ride from where they live to downtown, to BART, to the hospital, and to OTHER CITIES. How about just getting from where you live to where somebody else lives?

Next Week: Ygnacio Valley Rd and the Incredible Living Wall that isn’t really living anymore. A heart-warming tale of disappearing sidewalks, degraded hospital access, and a high-rise habitat made especially for rodents.

Trever April 20, 2018 at 3:17 PM

@Ellen Teapot – Those “fancy new Express Lanes”… Lexus Lanes… well they actually generate substantial money, from drivers & fines, for MTC to use in their so incredibly wise and prudent fashion. s/

Patty April 20, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Vote NO on RM3 in June. This $3 increase in bridge tolls will also NOT be used to improve the bridges or fix potholes. Vote NO

chuckie the troll April 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Where did my comment go???

I KNEW this would happen. Tax bikes, walking/running shoes, skateboards, in-line skates, etc…and make THEM pay for their trails.

You can always tell when a politician or bureaucrat lies…their mouth moves.

Pedalin' Pinhead April 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Chuckie, my personal, and admittedly self-serving opinion is that bicycles should continue to be allowed to fly “under the radar” as they always have been. But I recognize that “tax and regulate” bikes is a completely valid opinion, just one I don’t agree with.

However, you’ve got to be kidding me when you lump walking/running in with biking, skating, etc. Walking is the natural state of homo sapiens. Would some pseudo-religious, sovereign citizen, ‘Murica banter help? Walking and running is a God given right. Like the right to breathe, the right to see sky. No mere Constitution can grant or take away that right. Only a Godless, communist dupe would even for a moment CONSIDER enacting public policy that would in any way impede a citizen’s Divinely Chartered Right to walk His creation both near and far. And Lo, so unto you it has been spake.

Newellian April 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM

I am so sick of Big Lying Governement and Gov Moonbeam trying to tell me how to get around by either walking or bicycling. Keep your hands off of my cars! I keep saying DRIP! (Don’t Return Incumbent Politicians)

Jojo Potato April 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM

I apologize for saying something pro cyclist (myself). All I was trying to say was that a person should read the document before expressing their opinion. Is that so radical that it can’t be seen here?

Original G April 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Not filled with confidence.

Isn’t it about time some sane responsible adults be elected to public office to rein in this Out of Control Utopian fantasy mindset ?

Get Off My Lawn April 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Let’s hope the gas tax repeal hits the ballot in November! We all knew these funds would be used for anything but roads because drivers must be eliminated. If CA hadn’t diverted all the funds we’ve already been paying for decades for road repairs Jerry would not have had to stick it to us again. Jerry Brown promised he would never raise taxes without putting it to a vote. He was dishonest, so let’s hope we still get a chance to vote on it.

I’m all for bike and pedestrian safety, but there will always be a need for cars, trucks and decent roads for them to drive on. I need to haul loads of stuff with me for work each day and there is no way that is going to fit in a bike basket, over YVR in any weather. I can’t carry it on BART or the bus either.

Mimi (original) April 20, 2018 at 4:42 PM

As long as I continue to ride my adult tricycle I will continue to ride it ON THE SIDEWALK! I have no desire to become a flying saucer due to an erratic driver.

Nunya April 20, 2018 at 4:53 PM

What a f$%^ing lie!

The gas tax is going to all the Democrats stupid majority’s special projects like the bullet train to nowhere. This must be a Russian bot post!

LOL!