The Water Cooler – Free Stuff on the Curb

April 19, 2018 12:00 pm · 46 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Do you think it’s acceptable to put unwanted items on the curb in an effort to give them away? If so, have you ever done it? If not, do you think it brings down the look of the neighborhood?

Talk about it….

Simonpure April 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM

Only if it’s nice stuff. I leave it for one day. If no takers I call for a pick-up but usually it’s gone in a matter of minutes.

PH Worry-wart April 19, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Yes, same here.

martinezmike April 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM

NO! Unwanted items should not be placed on the curb. They should be placed in the middle of the street where people can’t ignore them.

Mimi (original) April 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM

I have both placed things on the curb and picked things up that were placed on the curb. I’m not a big fan of it, but as long as it’s not really nasty looking and the property owner removes it after a day if no one has picked it up, I think it’s okay.

NinjaNurse April 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I think it’s fine if it doesn’t sit there for more than 24 hours and it isn’t junk. I used to live on a busy street. I would put something out and it would be gone within 2 hours usually.

Kentucky Derby April 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM

I agree with only if it’s nice things. If it’s junk – take it to the dump.

When we lived in San Diego, I remember seeing furniture that was picked up within 5 minutes. Like our next door neighbors marble tables and complete living room set.

I would never do it myself.

Bishop Estates April 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Only irritates me if residents don’t clean it up if no one has picked it up after 3+ days.

Ahh, No April 19, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Yes, I’ll put stuff outside if its still in good condition. Why not, it helps someone else and prevents tossing it in a landfill. If its there for more than a day, which it never does, I would toss it.

frenchdawg April 20, 2018 at 7:37 AM

Side Line Critic April 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM

My father had a trick when placing unwanted items on the curb. Never say “Free”. Put a sign on the item with a price, say; “$10, Inquire Within”.

Gone in minutes….

Badge1104 April 19, 2018 at 6:31 PM

So true! Once I was trying to get rid of a lawn mower and I put it out with a free sign on it over the weekend. no one took it. then I put a $10 price tag sign on it and someone bought it within an hour. funny thing, Human Nature.

Nature Rules! April 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM

I like it, as long as the owner removes anything that doesn’t get claimed after a few days. A neighbor put up a “free” sign and I found a Coleman propane lantern (needed a globe and mantles), a Luhr Jensen smoker, several large clay pots, and some tools a few years ago. SCORE!

Nature rules neighbor April 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Im glad you liked them neighbor

Nature Rules! April 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Dover Way?

Dee April 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Yes we have and the stuff is usually gone by the end of the day. Usually stuff that is usable or needs minor repair. Like when we moved put some office stuff out and it was gone pretty fast.

ME April 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM

I’m not a fan but that’s exactly what it looks like we’re doing right now!
SA was supposed to pick up but they cancelled without contacting us. And they said they won’t be in the area for awhile.

We tried Goodwill last month. With out looking at what we had we were told they were only taking adult clothes. Today I was told on the phone that person was likely just being lazy and to try again.

Just a Person April 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM

I recently had that experience also, they told me they would not take brand new clothes (still had tags on them), before they remodeled never had a problem dropping stuff off, now they are really picky or lazy which ever is the case

Hill April 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM

Have left some stuff with a free sign, but it’s always been in my drive way and gone with in a few hours. I wouldn’t leave something that’s garbage or on the curb. If it’s not gone by the end of the day, I would bring it in and find another way to get rid of it.

Captain Bebops April 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM

They’re making it harder and harder to get rid of things you no longer want. Many of the drop off places have closed and dump fees have gone through the roof. Usually stuff that gets put on the curb for free around here gets picked up and if not carted off who knows where. Maybe the solution is to not buy anything anymore. 😀

WC resident April 19, 2018 at 1:14 PM

We have one neighbor who leaves junk out for several weeks at a time. Who wants a couch with a missing cushion that’s been sitting the rain for a week? It sits there for a few more weeks… Fortunately, it’s around the corner from and mostly out of sight from where I live.

Most of the neighbors though leave out nice stuff and the person posts on Nextdoor and/or craigslist. It’s gone within a couple of hours. Anything that’s not gone by the next day seems to then get tossed by most people.

Semi-related is that twice a year the garbage company has a recycle/reuse day where we can leave stuff out. The Jawas and scavengers seem to know the garbage schedule on their web site as they go through and take the better things.

Then there’s the fly-by-night people who leave notices on the mailbox about “free pickup” and that they will be in the the area the following day. Those are always scammers operating without a business license. Sometimes these people will postal mail the flier.

Wrigleygum April 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Nope our neighborhood don’t allow it, paid too much for our house in a clean gated area to look like we are in Antioch.

Just me April 19, 2018 at 4:45 PM

Good for you snob a$$. Go back in your gate. I have never seen stuff on the sidewalk with a free sign while driving in Antioch. So any people here are always ripping on Antioch. I live here in Concord and this town is so full of tweeker scum that’s it’s embarassing and you guys ripon Antioch.

Wrigleygum April 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM

That’s right people rip on Antioch because it’s Antioch. Obviously you haven’t driven around most of Antioch. You can’t drive thru Antioch on highway 4 glancing out your window and say “hey Antioch isn’t bad at all” haha…yes it is. Pick an exit and drive around…
Oh yeah there is tweaker scum in Concord as you say, but not in the better neighborhoods…obviously not where you are apparently.

MVP April 19, 2018 at 7:17 PM

@Wrigleygum-completely agree….if I decide to live in a private community…I should not be seeing junk on the curbs…Antioch is straight garbage.

Jerk April 19, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Sorry, when the New “residents” of Antioch Elected the Former Mayor (who Ruined Antioch with runaway growth BTW) to the City Council.
What more needs to be said.

I put my hands to the plow, didn’t live beyond my means (seems to be an issue in East County) and got out of there.

Justifiable anger April 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Antioch used to be a decent place to live. It is only in the last 15 years of so that city managers started relocating ‘welfare recipients’ from Richmond.

Now there are drug houses in the once nice neighborhoods near Dear Valley High. You may have also noticed the rising crime wave in the surrounding areas. Pittsburgh is actually nice compared to Antioch, now.

MVP April 20, 2018 at 1:32 PM

@Justifiable Anger-The San Marco area is nice, the rest of Pittsburgh is still pretty trash.

Justifiable anger April 20, 2018 at 3:09 PM

MVP: More information is always good.

Suzanne April 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM

I’ve never left anything out. I don’t mind if others do and agree it should not be for more than a day or two. I have reported neighbors who have left crap sitting for a week. Yes, we’re that kind of neighbor 😉

Willing to bet the people who leave junk sitting out for days are the same people who are tossing that junk onto rural roads in the middle of the night.

I like Side Line Critic’s idea. And so true!

Concordejet April 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM

anytime I find free nice stuff to pick up on the curb I sell it on craigslist or on ebay. Berkeley is the best place for that.

Roz April 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM

I don’t have a issue with it. I have found some cool stuff and I have put out stuff and it was gone in a day.

Bad Nombre April 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM

I find that a listing on Craigslist in the Free section results in swift removal of what ever gets set out there. I have to admit that I get mildly upset when my neighbor sets HIS stuff on MY curb but Craigslist takes care of it faster then taking it up with him.

Just me April 19, 2018 at 4:46 PM

On YOUR curb ???

Barge April 19, 2018 at 2:25 PM

I love Larry the cable guy’s story. He said that he put a couch out with a “FREE “ and no one took it. Then he changed the sign to “crossed out” $50, now $25 and somebody paid him $25.

The Mamba April 19, 2018 at 3:03 PM

I hate it.

THE ANIMAL April 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Left the ex-wife and no one took her so had to divorce her……………..

MVP April 19, 2018 at 7:17 PM

SAVAGE MODE

Momo April 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM

Absolutely not!!! We live on denkinger and people are constantly dumping their stuff by the canal… so trashy

Shoulda Coulda April 19, 2018 at 6:10 PM

How about just wrapping up your unwanted stuff
and leave it on your porch. The Porch Pirates will
make sure it’s gone and you don’t have to carry
it all the way to the sidewalk.

Litigator April 19, 2018 at 7:00 PM

I sure wish the people at the corner of Ayers and Sutherland would stop leaving junk and garbage out on the corner. It may be “free” but it is junk and should be in the trash.

tulaby April 19, 2018 at 8:13 PM

One day max.

Dorothy April 19, 2018 at 9:06 PM

My friend in SF says if you want to get rid of it, outside is the way to go. Over here, I’ve only seen some of the neighbors try that with no takers. I guess a lot depends on where you live and what kind of people will see the whatever sitting outside.

This of course is not counting things you add to your front yard that suddenly disappear that you would rather stayed in your yard.

sideline April 20, 2018 at 6:24 AM

Dispose of trash the correct way; have a garage sale or put in trash.

Concordmom April 20, 2018 at 8:35 AM

Free stuff rocks. I’ve done it and taken stuff. It’s great way to recycle stuff you don’t want, and you never know what people are looking for!

Beth McCoy April 21, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Totally agree! I’m a teacher and have gotten two bookshelves for my classroom this way. 😃

Lizzie April 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM

True story– A neighbor was moving at the same another was getting new carpet installed. They live on a private Lane and over the weekend had a “moving sale”. On Monday morning they placed a sign at the end of their street That said “all stuff leftover is free”… The people installing the carpet had placed items outside, nothing big, end tables etc…and when the carpet installers went to move everything back in, it was gone. My neighbors got their carpet “free” because of this. And my other neighbor had nothing left to haul away. I’m sure it was at the flea market the following weekend… We still talk about this, some 10 years later…