AAA To Offer First ‘Tipsy Tow’ For 4/20 After Marijuana Legalization In California

April 19, 2018 17:00 pm · 17 comments

Free “tipsy tow” services will be available Friday during California’s first 4/20 cannabis day with legalized recreational marijuana, according to AAA.

Services will be available from 4:20 p.m. Friday to 4:20 a.m. Saturday. Tow trucks will provide a free ride home and a vehicle tow up to 10 miles. A standard towing rate will apply to any longer distance.

AAA officials said people do not have to be AAA members to use the service and anyone can call (800) AAA-HELP and say they need a “tipsy tow.”

Tipsy tow services have always been available on days like New Year’s Eve and St. Patrick’s Day since the 1990s, but AAA officials said this is the first marijuana-related campaign since dispensaries in California
began selling recreational marijuana on Jan. 1.

The non-profit AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that fatal crashes involving drivers who had recently used marijuana doubled in Washington after the state legalized the drug.

kate April 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Nice!!😉

GBC April 19, 2018 at 7:35 PM

Nice that we’re leaving this moronic State…

Randy April 19, 2018 at 8:24 PM

Gbc whete you going?

Get Off My Lawn April 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM

“California’s first 4/20 cannabis day” Really??? As far as I know 4/20 has been a thing for decades. I remember people smoking out of gas mask bongs on the steps of the library during my college years at UC. And in CA you could argue every day is a cannabis holiday. Just be safe, people.

readbetter April 19, 2018 at 7:06 PM

read article again – the rest of sentence said, “with legalized recreational marijuana”

Chris April 19, 2018 at 7:16 PM

I thought it was April 1st for a second. I had to check the date! lol Not that it is a bad idea, but 4:20 Am to 4:20 PM? At least AAA has a sense of humor.

Wrigleygum April 19, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Last tow truck driver we saw was smoking weed while he had a car hooked up…

Jimbo April 19, 2018 at 7:26 PM

Are they going to stop at Taco Bell on the way home?

Anon April 19, 2018 at 9:04 PM

Hahahaha

Steven Powers April 19, 2018 at 9:35 PM

Another made up fake holiday?… no thanks it’s just another Friday

BB April 20, 2018 at 7:03 AM

It’s a celebration much like a beer or wine fest not a holiday

Steven Powers April 19, 2018 at 9:43 PM

The first time someone said happy 4 20 I had no idea what they were talking about….. Merry Christmas that’s a holiday and actually a date to celebrate

Breakfast Beer April 20, 2018 at 6:50 AM

Until I saw this I had no idea the significance of Super Troopers 2 coming up tonight, now it all makes sense

TJ April 20, 2018 at 7:25 AM

The scary thing is that most of the potheads that I’ve spoken to are convinced they drive BETTER when high, not worse, and they think it is nothing like drunk driving. It is very concerning to hear this…… especially since I lost two of my best friends in a terrible car accident many years ago because both of them were driving high. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people smoking weed while driving, just stupid and dangerous.

It makes sense to me April 20, 2018 at 8:13 AM

No need to be responsible when your out, Just get blasted and call a tow truck that others are paying for, nothing is free. So instead of that tow truck being at a accident or helping a senior change a tire, it’s enabling one to get high.

Concord Res April 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM

The guy who crossed the center line and hit me head on 30 years ago was stoned and had a suspended license for DUI the people who drive drunk and stoned won’t use this service.

Simonpure April 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM