The Water Cooler – Children & Soda

April 18, 2018 12:00 pm · 32 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Do you let your kids drink soda? If so, what age were they when they started drinking it?

Talk about it….

Nature Rules! April 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM

No, and even processed fruit juices are bad. Beer and wine provide a much more essential element – quiet around the house!

(It’s a joke, all you busy body buttinskies!)

AnonZ April 18, 2018 at 12:08 PM

My kids probably drank soda at 4-5 years old. It wasn’t a big deal, they didn’t get it all the time and actually, as grown ups, all three drink very little soda.

Ano April 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM

No my kids don’t drink soda or even much juice. My 17 year old said she is so glad I did that . She is my health nut

Wrigleygum April 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM

We put diet Dr Pepper in both our kids bottles. They had a soft drink everyday from probably that point on, now both in their mid 30s and not one health issue with either.
We had wine everynight with dinner and I think they were having some starting at age 12 or so. Kids in many European countries drink wine starting in early teens.
Neither of our kids became alkys or fat either

Parents nowadays are so overbearing with food and drinks. Must suck to be a kid nowdays.

Rollo Tomasi April 18, 2018 at 1:43 PM

“Kids in many European countries drink wine starting in early teens.”

I always chuckle when someone uses that reasoning. We fought a revolution to get away from many European ideals. Its not always wrong, but not much of a foundation for an argument.

Cowellian April 18, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Rollo, I never cared about European standards, but we chose to let our kids have wine as teenagers. They were only allowed wine at home, and only if they weren’t going out later. And I never served alcohol to any child who wasn’t my own. And we served it in Flintstone’s mugs, just to keep things in perspective.

Rollo Tomasi April 18, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Cowellian, no value judgment on the wine thing. Just find it odd when people say “Well, in European countries…”

WGAF

Nature Rules! April 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM

No, Rollo, the founding fathers fought a revolution to free themselves of servitude to a foreign master. Your ego overrides your mental acuity and your grasp of history.

Rollo Tomasi April 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Gee Nature, thanks for the crucial civics and culture lesson. Now go put on your speedo and ride your bike downtown for an espresso.

NinjaNurse April 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Wow, really? Diet Dr Pepper in a bottle? That’s really tacky and unhealthy. Any cavities? Soda is proven to cause heart disease and is loaded with sugar. Even diet is bad. We don’t drink soda. Water, milk and fresh squeezed juice at my house.

Hill April 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM

I was probably around 6, even at 12 it was a treat that I had to split a can with my brother. When I hit my late teens and had access I drank it a lot for a few years. Now I have a soda a few times a year and usually not even a full one.

Dorothy April 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM

My kids, now in their 50’s, seldom got soda of any kind because that was an extra expense. They now prefer beer to soda but they started that in their late teens.

Going to tell a story about their first beers. One of them bought a 6 pack, or had someone get it for them, and put it in the frig, bottom shelf, as far back as it could go. I saw it anyhow, removed it, and put it in the washing machine. They never found it and later I gave it to my brother. To this day they will not admit to trying to hide it there.

Wrigleygum April 18, 2018 at 1:19 PM

They probably had hard stuff more hidden, the beer was only a decoy…lol

Rollo Tomasi April 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Exactly. They knew you’d find the six-pack, and hoped that it would distract you from finding the bourbon.

The Mamba April 18, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Only Mountain Dew before their pageants.

Lili April 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM

We were not allowed to drink soda when I was a kid so I repeated that cycle with my kids No soda in the house They canhave soda if we are over at a friends house or a party

Lambie April 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM

Those were my rules too 🙂

Cowellian April 18, 2018 at 1:25 PM

When we were young, we rarely had sodas due to the expense. I do remember my Grandmother used to have cases of Cokes delivered to her house. As teenagers, we would get sodas when we dined out, and when I visited my Dad’s office, I’d always get a Dr Pepper from his Coke machine. My job at Coca Cola pretty much cured me of drinking sodas, except for a rare root beer.

Our kids got milk at meals, but were allowed sodas from time-to-time. Now, only one still drinks sodas on a regular basis, but he doesn’t drink coffee. I have no idea where he got those genes.

MovingOutOfCa April 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM

My kids were allowed soda in moderation. When they became teeenager’s, they bought it on their own. I have some hidden in the garage, for guest. I have it a couple times a year, and never finish it.

Roz April 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM

For some reason, we didn’t have a taste for soda, so our daughter only had soda when we dined-out,…about 4 times a year. In fact, she started enjoying coffee with a bit of sugar & cream around 6th grade as her drink of choice.

Mr. John April 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM

We give my 2 year old a few sips here and there, but we will not stock soda at home for him – ever. We’ll also discourage him from drinking it when away from home, but I think soda will be a bit changed in the 5 to 10 years before he is given the opportunity to buy it on a regular basis.

Silva April 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM

We didn’t have soda at our house when I was a kid. My mom would let me get when we dined out on occasion. My grandma had cases of different kinds of soda in her basement all the time, but she was on the other side of the country. Funny how we for a while had Funny Face drink packets which were made up ONLY of harmful chemicals, and they were DELICIOUS. I tried not to by sugary juice and chemical water for my boy, but his father can’t live without it, so I was soundly overruled in my efforts to feed my kid only nutritious stuff.

anonymous April 18, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Yes, we allowed sodas. They were probably around 5 years old. Today, they prefer water but still occasionally have a soda.

Nature Rules! April 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Come to think of it, shouldn’t the folks who make Coca Cola be charged with consumer fraud. I believe they removed the coca many years ago, so they have been advertising falsely for many decades.

Lambie April 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM

What about regular vs diet soda for children?

S April 18, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Kool-Aid Kool-Aid Taste Great, Kool-Aid Kool-Aid Can’t Wait….

Judas April 18, 2018 at 7:25 PM

Sparingly.

Gitittogether April 18, 2018 at 9:21 PM

My son used to crave McDonalds happy meals…which come with soda. He didn’t have a preference and usually picked sprite…and then never drank it. Soon learned he didn’t care for the food either, it was the toy he wanted.

Michael Langley April 18, 2018 at 11:45 PM

We always thought of soda as a luxury item. Probably a holdover from my own childhood when it took six Nehi bottle caps to get into the Texan Theater in downtown Kilgore. Could not afford the sodas, but my brother and I would stop by the filling station every Saturday and fish out the bottle caps from the Nehi cooler in front. My cousin Norman brought his from home because his family was well off and could buy soda. His dad had a government job; a Postal Clerk.

Justifiable Languor April 19, 2018 at 7:19 AM

Soda is not sustenance.

We had pop around, but more likely would hit the hose when outside-which was most of the time. None of us got sick from hose water.

As for the kids, it was home made lemonade. With sugar, so I guess the health advantages were cancelled out. Haha.

Josette April 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Grew up mainly on Kool-Aid but we camped up in Humboldt county for a month every summer. Folks would buy cases of Shasta soda…my favorite was black cherry. These days it’s strictly water or flavored sparkling water.

Dr Jellyfinger April 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM