The Water Cooler – Clear Backpacks At Schools

April 16, 2018 12:00 pm · 46 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Do you think schools should make kids have clear backpacks to make it more difficult to hide weapons or drugs?

Talk about it….

Dawg April 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM

They shouldn’t allow backpacks at all, it’s bad for their back. Just look at their posture when walking with a heavy backpack strapped to them, a lot of kids walk slightly stooped over. It may not bother them now but when they start reaching 30 or 40, the chiropractor business will boom,.

AnonZ April 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM

So carrying 50 lbs of books in your arms is better?

Fred April 16, 2018 at 12:39 PM

When I went to school backpacks were for hiking.

T-Rex April 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Keep the books at school in your locker and stop giving homework. School is for learning. And home is for growing.

Suzanne April 16, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Fred, and kids that did wear backpacks to school usually got beat up at least once a week.

Cellophane April 16, 2018 at 2:50 PM

I thought all those books were online now. Guess not.

Any homework should be done online.

No books to load them down, no computers to lug around.

They can go home with dirty gym socks and a note pad.

Lynn April 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Hear Hear, T-Rex!

Suzanne April 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Hey, that’s the answer!

Snorkers April 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM

No, I think it’s demeaning. You can’t expect to create responsible adults by treating teenagers like they’re criminals. If we race to the bottom and dictate the lowest common denominator, we will get just that. Your bag, locker, etc is part of you, if you take it away, you will (at best) get compliant (but resentful) drones … which is the opposite of what you want.

Wrigleygum April 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM

I feel sorry for school kids, can’t even go to school and have fun anymore cause the school districts are having fits over security.

I remember elementary school with my pocket/hunting knives in my pack or Lost in in Space lunch box with my wrist rocket slingshot. After school we’d shoot our pellet rifles on the schools recess blacktop.

In high school in the 70s I had a rifle in my gun rack in my truck, no this wasn’t Ca of course but when I transferred to Ca my senior year I knew already what this state was all about and what the future looked like.

Clear backpacks? What a crock what’s next see thru clothes?

Mimi (original) April 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Always hated the whole overloaded backpack thing when my kid was in school!! But not enough books in class to go around necessitated their hauling their books back and forth and all around. As for CLEAR backpacks, Good Luck finding such a thing – the manufacturers are going to have to step up and create some! When I worked in retail we were issued clear zippered bags to use instead of our purses so they could be easily inspected upon entering and leaving the facility.

Simonpure April 16, 2018 at 3:53 PM

They already have them

The Mamba April 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM

We’re trading freedom for the illusion of security. No.

AnonZ April 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM

No. This is an idiotic band-aid idea thought up by morons.

Gitittogether April 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM

“lazy” morons at that…

Hmmmmm April 16, 2018 at 12:41 PM

That would certainly make it easier for other students to see who has something they want to steal………..

Ricardoh April 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Since you could easily hide a pistol in a clear backpack I doubt that would do any good. Make every entrance have a metal detecter if you are so inclined. At some point though you just have to hope for the best. If someone is set on shooting up a school and can’t get a weapon in they will wait for everyone to come out.

Simonpure April 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Is that a derringer in that Tampon box you have in that clear backpack? And whats wrapped in that PE shirt?

Simply silly

Spark Baldman April 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Com on Man! Dont they know that everytime we react with a rule that just makes it harder for everyone else to go about their daily lives, the criminal just finds a different way. See through pants next? Body searches?

Covfee April 16, 2018 at 12:52 PM

No, there is not a reason to force students to have clear backpacks. I can only recall about two dozen shootings over the last two years that injured or killed more than two people. That is out of approximately 50 million students in 100,000 schools; meaning while still tragic it is statistically insignificant. Drugs can be easily hidden on, or in, the student which would also negate the use of clear backpacks. Although I suppose you would be able to capture that elusive middle school student carrying bricks of heroin.

anon April 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM

A student at Olympic Continuation had 2 loaded pistols in the waistband of his jeans. Another student had a pistol in his jacket pocket. Metal detectors are the only way to keep guns and knives off campus. It works for night clubs, but then, adults need more protection at bars than children at school.

Concord Mike April 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Well said anon. Metal dectectors make more sense.

Dorothy April 16, 2018 at 1:29 PM

No, that is what school lockers are for. It would be like asking people who work to have clear briefcases and purses. Hey, let’s try that…

Oracle April 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Ridiculous and I don’t think that would make much difference. Weapons etc can be wrapped in things and hidden in the clear backpack. I think that is also an invasion of privacy too. I don’t know the answer for how to curb violence at schools, but its not that.

Rollo Tomasi April 16, 2018 at 3:52 PM

The Supreme Court has held that while 4th and 5th Amendment protections exist in public schools, the need for a safe and effective educational environment outweighs the expectation of privacy. All that is needed is a reasonable suspicion rather than probable cause and a search warrant.

Oracle April 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Agree!

RANDOM TASK April 16, 2018 at 1:33 PM

mr or mrs wriggly gum …your quote below

sooo for many many years like 30 years kids in school have not had any fun
teachers have been politically directing them

districts have been bussing in troubled kids to good schools so those kids are threatened and on guard every day

social standings as well divide kids and parents do their part by forcing after school activities on children making them easy targets when they don’t measure up to the others

now with cell phones it is even worse because after school before school on weekend kids can be bashed and taunted and slandered and sent anything and everything over their phones and don’t act like your kids don’t have one

Simonpure April 18, 2018 at 7:01 AM

Now we know why you always use caps. Only used one this time. Should have been seven. 🙂

Hill April 16, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Our kids are growing up in a world where zero privacy and less freedom is normal. The kids that are born now, don’t know what they are missing.

Ed W April 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM

No to clear backpacks or metal detectors in the schools. How about not allowing cell phones to be on during class….get rid of the distraction and allow teachers to teach.

Foonman April 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM

I don’t think this would expose the mentally ill…….

Ahh, No April 16, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Won’t work, just something to make people feel like something is being done. The Parkland shooter just walked on campus with his gun, it wasn’t hiding in a backpack.
Have 2 kids in middle school, their backpacks are so full they usually don’t even last the whole year as they break under the wear and tear. And they don’t have lockers in school, maybe they do in HS but not in Middle.

Kirkwood April 16, 2018 at 3:59 PM

I can’t think of anything to prevent a kid from bringing a gun into school until some psychological means is discovered. The less smart kids will be caught when they brag about their possession. Clear backpacks won’t help much. The only remotely practical thing that might be to fence the campus and restrict entry through narrow entrances with metal detectors and random backpack searches but that’s pretty drastic.

What’s really going to happen is nothing at all.

Nick April 16, 2018 at 4:22 PM

i used to skateboard from DVC home to Clayton (yes city of clayton) with a 50lb backpack of books, 4 days a week, if i can do it so can these lame kids today, they dont know how good they have it these days.

chuckie the troll April 16, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Install TSA gates at all schools. Must have valid ID. They can check EVERYTHING, pat you down, take you into a back room for questioning or a more thorough ‘search’, etc…it may be a little intrusive. But hey, giving up a few rights and freedoms for safety and security never hurt anyone, right?

It makes sense to me April 16, 2018 at 4:53 PM

They will just put clothes or books on the outside and will put guns knifes in the center. All it does is create a false sense of security.

Silva April 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I was going to say I was glad this was in the past for me, then in a flash I remembered I am a gran. It will never be over. We did not carry backpacks untill I was at college, we just carried the books, and we all had lockers then. We did not often need all of them on the same evening. A 6th grade schoolmate of my son had soft tissue separate from his sternum due to his backpack being so heavy with everything he was expected to carry every day. He was no frail kid, either. It was a tough injury to let heal, he had to not move his upper body in many ways for about 10 months, which in itself was usually almost impossible, and then not use a backpack after that. I bet a lot of clear backpacks would go semi translucent and look awful before very long. I am not seeing clear plastic being sturdy like heavy woven fabric. I bet kids would hate it.

Puffandstuff April 16, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Yes! If it saves one life it’s worth it.

Mika April 16, 2018 at 9:43 PM

Ridiculous! People can be ingenious hiding drugs on their person, weapons too. Clear backpacks – no!

Jess April 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM

Wait until the guys at school check out my stash of tampons and pads in my clear bag!
Yeah…. no.

I’m sick of clear bags being a thing. I had to buy one for a festival because they don’t allow my usual festival bag because of the size and the chain strap. (As if I’m going to hurt anyone!) It’s ugly and it’s not good quality and I hate the idea of someone knowing exactly where to slip their hand to steal my wallet. And where do the feminine products go? I feel like an inner makeup bag defeats their whole purpose. But it’s what I’m gonna have to do!

They’re flimsy, it won’t last an entire year. And with all the heavy textbooks, I’m sure it will break and everything will fall to the floor. And as another poster mentioned they’re going to get really dirty. They’re kids, they’re not going to keep their bags clean. Mine would be a HUGE mess with crap stuck to the bottom.

Anyway. if a deranged someone wanted to bring a weapon to school, they’re going to think of ways around this.

Taggit April 16, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Somehow my generation got through K-12 and four years of college without backpacks. Kind of proves you really don’t need them.

Ancient Mariner April 16, 2018 at 10:50 PM

1969, London: took a switchblade knife to school (illegal in England). My math teacher borrowed it to slice some papers, told me not to bring it to school again. No big deal, never made the newspapers. Let kids be kids.

Silva April 17, 2018 at 7:26 AM

Good and sharp too!

OverWhelmed April 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM

How about we just bring Jesus back to school? It seems since He was expelled we have had nothing but issues across the country. Seems to get worse every year. How about we bring the pledge allegiance back to school. Might create a class of kids who have something to believe in besides shame, ignorance, violence, and other drugs. Give them something to work for.
When you have a generation of kids that have nothing to live for this is what happens. Now, the state politicians can do anything because there is no hope in them.

Hmmmmm April 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM

AMEN!! BRING HIM BACK!! Since we took religion out of schools, everything has literally gone to hell in a handbasket!

Jess April 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM