Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff Issues Scam Alert

April 16, 2018 16:00 pm · 35 comments

The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff last week took a report from a resident who became a victim of a phone scam in which the caller claimed to be from the Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the scam happens when residents receive a phone call from a person who identifies himself as an employee of the Sheriff’s Office. The caller tells the residents that there are warrants for their arrest because they missed jury duty. The caller then directs the residents to pay money clear the warrants.

There are different variations of this, including scams involving the IRS or unpaid parking tickets.

The suspect attempts to make this appear legitimate by giving phony names or real names of employees, addresses, and fake case or warrant numbers.

Usually the suspect goes on to say the warrant could be cleared by getting a prepaid debit card or gift card at various local stores.

The Office of the Sheriff does not have people pay fines or fees by through re-loadable prepaid cards. Furthermore, the public is never contacted in this way.

Anyone receiving such a call should refuse to provide any personal information to the caller or simply hang up.

Please contact your local law enforcement agency and notify them of the incident.

Original G April 16, 2018 at 4:26 PM

Come and get me.
Click

Whatever April 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM

I’m conflicted on these, like the Nigerian prince emails.

Seems if you’re that stupid, then maybe you should be paying some sort of stupid tax in the form of pre-paid debit cards.

GBC April 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM

National averages 20% stupidity; California averages 60%+ stupidity…

BoycottTheCircus April 16, 2018 at 6:45 PM

@ whatever, you play stupid games you win stupid prizes

@GBC LoL

and why do people answer phone calls from people they don’t know!!! Maannnnnn…. if it is important they will leave a message, otherwise let it go to VM, DUH!

gg April 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Often the victims are elderly. They are not stupid but can be easily confused, making it easier to scare them and con them. It’s really sad.

Dee April 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Another one we have been getting calls from.. so it says on the ID on our phone is from Social Security. Problem with these knuckleheads is they call like on week ends and/or after 5 and we all know that is not gonna happen. Of course they leave no message either. And they will show a local area code

SpankyFortuna April 16, 2018 at 5:37 PM

GFY and hang up.

MoJo April 16, 2018 at 5:42 PM

Anyone who calls with legitimate business will leave a message. All calls are scams until proven otherwise. Call screening, caller ID and number blocking are our friends. Easy!

Dorothy April 16, 2018 at 5:47 PM

Don’t forget the new Medicare card scam. Just hang up, Medicare is not going to call or ask for money or anything else related to the new Medicare cards that will be mailed to people for the next 18 months.

L April 16, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Another one pops up on computer from micro soft or Apple …you respond and are told it’s going to cost whatever dollar amt they choose to fix computer …both mom and coworker each got these

Wrigleygum April 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Stupidity is not learned, you are born with it. You cannot become unstupid as you go through life.

BoycottTheCircus April 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Well said, thank you =)

Minkman April 16, 2018 at 9:36 PM

Well said from a pothead!

Wrigleygum April 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM

Pothead? That’s someone who uses pot, NOT a grower/seller.
Educate yourself…

TT April 17, 2018 at 3:32 PM

And you were born with a lot of it.

Christye Green April 16, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Another one that is irritating as hell isn’t a phone call. FedEx delivers an envelope with a single check in it. Routing and account numbers are all messed up and out of order. I wonder how many people fall for it.

I’ve gotten 2 for over $3000ea. Its so stupid, the checks look phony as hell!! I guess they’re paying FedEx to deliver them so they do. When it looks like a snake… it usually is.

con April 16, 2018 at 6:37 PM

Pge is getting turned off i got to get 300 in cash . Ill be there in 45mins to collect or i will turn ur power off last chance its friday you will be without power all weekend !

C L Alday April 16, 2018 at 7:37 PM

Today I received 2 voicemail messages saying just what you advised us about, that is if I don’t do ….., they will arrest me in 34 hours. Thank you for heads up on this scam. The phone number was (508)499-6495. I will now block it from my phone. Many thanks again!

C L Alday

Bipitybobityboo April 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM

Sounds like Jerry Brown needs more money

Badge1104 April 16, 2018 at 8:45 PM

I can’t believe that the authorities can’t stop these phone calls and the fraud display of false identification on the caller ID. ( US Gov, etc)

Concord Res April 17, 2018 at 8:02 AM

I had a call like this and they said they were going to arrest me at my office in front of my Co-workers. I said as long as you know where I work I will be waiting for you along with my Co-worker who are listening on the speaker phone the caller hung up. The problem is I have seen people pay and then call to ask if I think it is a scam. If you are in doubt call the police or sheriffs office.

Bad Nombre April 17, 2018 at 8:22 AM

I’ve had messages left twice by an electronic ‘woman’ claiming that I am being sued by the IRS. Still waiting to meet the process server.

Lately I am also getting calls from some number in New York but with the ID appearing in Arabic script spelling out “Amrika”. No messages.

Nothing good can come of answering the phone.

Concordejet April 17, 2018 at 10:29 AM

I just continue to get difference apps that blocks unwanted callers but, those things keep getting outdated. I just do not answer the phone and let the voicemail get the phone they do not leave a voicemail.

Wrigleygum April 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM

Well when you answer your phone from a blocked number or a name you never heard of, your ripe picking for a spam call.
If you don’t have caller ID get out of your cave and get it, otherwise be prepared to get crap calls.

Cowellian April 17, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Our cell phones still use the 925 area codes, so we get a lot of telemarketers calling from 925. AT&T Coll protect does a good job of blocking them, and if a call gets through, one click can block that number, too. I recently checked the logs, and it blocked the same number 12 times in one day.

I use NoMoRobo on our home phone, and it does a fair job of blocking telemarketers. In order to add a new number to their list, I have to copy the number and paste it in NoMoRobo’s site.

Mamma Jamma April 17, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Not all victims of these scams are “stupid”. Some are elderly and have diminished cognitive ability. They are easy prey for scammers.

Kirkwood April 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Good point!

The Professor April 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM

I hate it when the elderly are abused like this.

But does Grandpa really believe that he has a warrant for his arrest?

Kentucky Derby April 17, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Professor, these scammers do target the elderly, and no, they’re not stupid. Nor do they really think he/she has a warrant. Medication can cause confusion, and so can age.

Are people really that stupid that this has to be explained?

Just advise your elderly relatives not to pick up the phone if they don’t recognize the number.

CALLER ID.

Pidge April 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM

I can make all these scams stop. Just send me a $100 iTunes gift card and I’ll help you out.

Cowellian April 17, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Thanks, Pidge,
I appreciate the offer!
If you’ll just post your address, mother’s maiden name and the last four digits of your Social Security number, I’ll get that iTunes card right in the mail.

Rollo Tomasi April 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM

$100 of iTunes? I hope you have a way of converting that to cash. I couldn’t spend that on iTunes in a lifetime.

Kirkwood April 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Ringer is off, everything goes to machine. If I recognize the voice on the other end I pick up. If I see the msg light when walking by, I play and delete.

Nope April 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM

It’s fun to just mess with them when they call

Jen April 18, 2018 at 12:57 PM

1. Grandpa thinks he’s got warrent cause Grandpa is freaking wily.
2. There are websites where you can trade gift cards: for example iTunes gift cards
3. https://www.donotcall.gov/ THIS!!! The FTCs/the governments national do not call registry. If someone calls you and you tell them you’re on the list they hang up pretty quickly because if caught they can be fined a substantial sum. Sorry that it doesn’t really help with all the scam calls out there though.