Every 15 Minutes Program at College Park High School Today – Expect to See Officers, Firefighters, and Ambulances Near School

March 20, 2018 9:27 am · 15 comments

Pleasant Hill Police, the California Highway Patrol, Contra Costa Fire, AMR and some dedicated College Park High School students will be taking part in the Every 15 Minutes program this morning at College Park High School.

This program highlights the dangers of drinking and driving and will involve a mock fatality collision scene at the high school.

This morning, you will see officers, firefighters, and ambulances responding to the school with lights and sirens, but don’t be alarmed. This is all part of the mock collision.

They are also scheduled to have a helicopter land on the baseball field, but that is also part of the mock collision.

photo: Claycord file photo

Oliver March 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Freaked me the hell out. A little more notice would have been nice. Especially with what just occurred in Maryland.

Simonpure March 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM

me me me me

Fred March 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Many kids see this as a joke because they know it’ll never happen to them

Rebecca March 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Until it does. 😔

Local Resident March 20, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Lousy weather for it, but its a great wake-up call.

They should open those up to the public, maybe make it mandatory for DUI offenders.

D March 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM

The weather was perfect; Tragedy does not wait for Sunshine.

Mika March 20, 2018 at 8:20 PM

all high schools should have this program. Anyone know how this program is paid for? Seems like it’s the wealthier schools who have this program.

Julie March 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM

Love this program👍🏻 So many schools around the California are participating In Every 15 Minutes. I have seen emotional affects from students and it does make them think twice.

TheOneAndOnly March 20, 2018 at 10:04 PM

Maybe alcohol should have a higher tax rate since its number one reason for these types of accidents… Why is cannabis 35% and cigarettes is what? 65% or something meanwhile alcohol is only 9.25%… yeah that makes sense…

Jkerr March 21, 2018 at 6:56 PM

Agreed

TraumaRx March 20, 2018 at 10:38 PM

Seatbelts saves lives.

Hmm March 21, 2018 at 3:17 PM

Can’t remember the last time Clayton Valley did one, anyone?

Vasquez March 21, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Drinking and driving is playing the fool… To a teenager death is a hypothetical. And a fool never stops foolish behavior until its to late.

Falcon March 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM

@ Mika
The CHP awards mini-grants from the Office of Traffic Safety to schools but that does not cover all of the expenses. It takes hundreds of volunteers, months and months of planning, and donations and sponsorships from local businesses.

Danielle March 25, 2018 at 7:31 AM

I remember this when I was a senior at College Park back in ’04-’05. It definitely made an impact on me. I will never forget hearing the letters family members wrote to their loved ones who had died due to drunk drivers. There wasn’t a dry eye in the gym during that part of the event.