$50K Reward to Identify East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker – Man Responsible for 45 Rapes and 12 Murders – Four Rapes in Concord, Walnut Creek

March 13, 2018 14:00 pm · 17 comments

fbi

The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward and National Campaign to identify the man known as the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker, who also goes by the name “Golden State Killer”.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office, and Contra Costa Sheriff’s Department reminds you of a national campaign to help identify the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer, a violent serial burglar, rapist, and murderer who terrorized multiple communities in California throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

The digital media campaign includes the launch of a webpage, www.fbi.gov/EastAreaRapist; digital billboards throughout the country; social media outreach on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube; and audio broadcasts via podcasts and radio PSAs. The public can play an active role in helping law enforcement find the subject by sharing links to the website and official social media content.Law enforcement asks the public to consider the following information when reviewing information about the case:

Did they live in one of the areas of criminal activity and remember someone in the area who matches the physical description of the subject or may have been known to spend a considerable amount of time in the areas?
Have they discovered a hidden collection of items among the belongings of a friend or family member—notably coins and jewelry—as described on the FBI webpage about the crimes?

The subject, who may be 60-75 years old now, was described as a white male standing approximately 5’10” tall and having blond or light brown hair and an athletic build. He may have had an interest or training in military or law enforcement techniques, as he was familiar and proficient with firearms.

People who know the subject may not believe him capable of such crimes. He may not have exhibited violent tendencies or have a criminal history.

Detectives have DNA evidence from some of the crime scenes that can either positively link or exclude a suspect. This enables investigators to quickly exclude innocent parties, and the public should not hesitate to provide information—even if it is the name or address of an individual who resided in the areas of the crimes—as many parties will be quickly excluded by a simple, non-invasive test.

Between 1976 and 1986, this single subject committed 12 homicides, approximately 45 rapes, and multiple residential burglaries in the state of California. All the crimes have been linked by DNA and/or details of the crimes. His victims ranged in age from 13 to 41 and included women home alone, woman at home with their children, and couples.

The subject was active in the greater Sacramento area from June 1976 to February 1978.

Burglaries and rapes began occurring in the Sacramento area during the summer of 1976. During these crimes, the subject would ransack the homes of his victims and take small items such as coins, jewelry, and identification. These cases include the homes of families, couples, and single women; burglaries in a neighborhood tended to precede clusters of sexual assaults. On February 2, 1978, Rancho Cordova couple Sergeant Brian Maggiore and his wife, Katie, were on an evening walk with their dog and were chased by the subject who overcame the couple and shot at close range.

His activity continued primarily in the East Bay Area of Northern California in 1979, and, by October 1979, his activity escalated into rapes and homicides/attempted homicides along the California Coast with homicides in Goleta (October 10, 1979; December 3, 1979; and July 27, 1981); Ventura (March 16, 1980); Laguna Niguel (August 19, 1980); and Irvine (February 6, 1981 and May 5, 1986). During the commission of the homicides, the subject tied up both victims, raped the female victim, and then murdered the couple.

After July 1981, no associated incidents are known to have been reported for five years. In 1986, an 18-year-old woman was raped and murdered in Irvine. No additional crimes have been connected to the subject after this incident.

A graphic illustrating the general location of these crimes is available on the FBI’s webpage.

The following is a listing of local law enforcement agencies who have investigated a crime believed to have been committed by the subject and the number of crimes in their jurisdictions:

eastarearapist

Law enforcement is seeking any information that may help identify the subject, dubbed the East Area Rapist in Sacramento. He has also been called the Original Night Stalker, Diamond Knot Killer, and, more recently, the Golden State Killer.

Individuals with information about the subject may call 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324). Additionally, information may be submitted to the FBI’s online tip line at tips.fbi.gov.

The Mamba March 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM

You forgot the other descriptive feature, his tiny unit! Seriously…

tita March 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM

That is “why” he is so mad at the world…God didn’t give him one….

Cup of Joe March 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM

And why all the sudden interest in solving this? The guys probably dead or retired in South America.
Good luck tho, I’d think the resources would be better used for current crimes in this century instead.

The Professor March 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM

The interest rises from a series that just started called “The Golden State Killer: It’s Not Over”. I think it is on Discovery. Basically, it’s some detectives/investigators who decided to tackle the cold case.

Sign from Above March 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM

@ Cup of Joe: Makes sense on the surface. But realize, many of his victims are probably still tormented by what this animal did to them. An arrest would bring a huge sense of closure. Considering the scope of these crimes, the expenditure is justified. I’m sure you’d feel the same way if someone close to you was a victim.

Cup of Joe March 13, 2018 at 5:29 PM

D6@sign from above
I had a member of my family murdered 45 years ago and they never were caught and honestly I really don’t care at this point or even 20 years ago to suddenly drag it all up again even if they found the killer. You simply can’t dwell on it forever.

Sign from Above March 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM

That’s you’re prerogative and I’m perfectly good with that. But that’s not the case for everyone, especially the victims themselves. My guess is that this guy is probably dead.

Dr Jellyfinger March 14, 2018 at 8:18 PM

I could dwell on it forever… I don’t think there’s any way I couldn’t.

Hope they find him March 13, 2018 at 3:10 PM

This man terrorized my neighborhood by raping my two friends (that were sisters), ages 13 and 14, in Carmichael. I lived in fear at night from that day forward. I feel fortunate that they weren’t killed.

The Professor March 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM

I remember this guy from when I was a kid. One of the rape victims went to my school in WC in ’78 or ’79. At the time, it wasn’t known for sure if the perp was the Golden State Killer or another prolific rapist that they named “Stinky”. Apparently DNA has since confirmed that it was the work of the GSK. He was/is a nasty, twisted dude.

Silva March 13, 2018 at 8:46 PM

I used to work with a woman who had been terrorized in her home, but all night by Stinky. Funny name, but that guy was no joke.

evelyn freitas March 13, 2018 at 6:24 PM

@ The MAMBA, that explains why he used a di—–to rape the Stockton victim. had to look it it up did not know what is was. He was a vicious attacker, and left fear to anyone who knew the victims or lived near.

Cindy March 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Makes me wonder if he was the prowler lurking around my house on Darlene drive back in late 78 or early 79! Scary

Kentucky Derby March 14, 2018 at 9:17 AM

I remember GSK and Stinky, hoping he wouldn’t terrorize my neighborhood. I’ve been watching the coverage of GSK. Not sure what the sudden interest is. With DNA, it’s never too late to catch anyone.

anon March 14, 2018 at 1:59 PM

I remember this well. I lived in Sacramento when it was occurring there. Our apartment complex hired security to patrol and a friend was stopped when walking through the complex to visit me. My employer also provided self defense instruction to the employees. It was frightening.

Gayl Belfor March 14, 2018 at 6:31 PM

My German Shepherd took a piece of of someone who attacked a neighbor in Concord at the time (1979) …. best dog ever 🙂

local girl March 14, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Lets hope this deranged SOB is dead…Peace to all the victims.