Unleashed Dog Bites Man in Lime Ridge Open Space on Sunday (PHOTOS)

March 12, 2018 10:00 am · 60 comments

Have you ever seen an off leash dog in Lime Ridge Open Space?

KC did on Sunday, and unfortunately, the dog bit him.

Here’s his story:

I would like to send a reminder to all dog walkers using Lime Ridge to please control your animals. Hiking on Sunday morning around 9:30 when I was bit by an unleashed Queensland Healer (cattle dog). It saw me and sprinted approximately 50 yards right for me and continued to nip at the back of my knee aggressively. I’m not really upset with the dog but with the owner. I’m sure he knows his dogs demeanor. Also, if you want your dog off leash go to Shell Ridge or your local dog park. I hike Lime Ridge daily and rarely see dogs on a leash, 99% of them are well behaved. But by law they are supposed to be leashed. I don’t understand why people do not think the law pertains to them? And one more thing please pick up after your pet.

Thanks for the story.

Here are the dog rules for Lime Ridge (below):

ARE DOGS ALLOWED IN LIME RIDGE OPEN SPACE?

Yes, although leash rules vary depending on what section you are in and rangers recommend dogs remain on leash at all times.

In the North Lime Ridge area, north of Ygnacio, dogs must be under positive voice and sight command or leashed at all times. Since cattle graze in this area, dogs chasing cattle can be a serious issue. Lately, there have been some negative dog vs. coyote encounters when dogs stray close to dens as well.

No dogs are allowed at any time in the center section of Lime Ridge south of Ygnacio. This is the Lime Ridge Wildlife Preserve area. South of the Preserve, dogs are allowed once again but on leash only.

CSS March 12, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Needs to be a “dog free zone”. Let’s get on this California politicians…

Dawg March 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM

When a dog is approaching you in an aggressive manner, turn and face the dog, stomp your foot, raise your arms as if you are going to hit the dog, and yell at it. The dog will usually stop in their tracks and retreat.

ME March 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM

True, but only if you really are confident in your stare down. I’ve seen fearful people panic in the distance, jumping up and down and waving they’re arms, screaming. That will attract a dog. Our little miss safety first dog saw this once in an off leash area and truly thought the man needed help so she trotted up to check on him. Then she realized he was nuts and walked away. It was truly a “what not to do” if you’re scared of dogs.

PitstopPenny March 12, 2018 at 8:28 PM

Not true. Your a fool.

Serious? March 14, 2018 at 7:03 PM

Says the person who cannot spell you’re……

Pitstop Penny March 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. People these days do whatever they want without consideration to others. A dog can bite at anytime or run off, as they are dogs. And picking up after their pets is another issue owners seem to neglect. I have two dogs of mine own and have found not everyone likes your dog or dogs. I work with a Lady who was attached as a child, she is terrified of dogs.
Please be a responsible pet owner.

Kirkwood March 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM

Re: >I don’t understand why people do not think the law pertains to them<

That me, myself, and I mindset evolved from the hippie era, in an already ultra-liberal city. The “If it feels good, do it” generation grew up, had kids, and their kids grew up and had kids, passing down and spreading the mindset that anything is ok as long as you don’t get caught, and if you do get caught it’s somebody else’s fault.

Dr Jellyfinger March 12, 2018 at 10:08 PM

This is beginning to sound “Clintonesque”

Cowellian March 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Four years ago, we were walking our dogs when we were attacked by an off-leash pit-bull. The leash squeezed my wife’s hand so hard that several bones broke, and she now has pins in her hand. In court, the irresponsible owner explained that must have been our dogs’ fault, because her dog was always well behaved. But then, pit-bull owners almost always say that. I don’t buy that nonsense, and neither did the judge.

Your mileage may vary.

Chicken Little March 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM

I’ve had my well-behaved, leashed Pit Bull attacked by a large, off-leash dog that I had to fight off while it’s owner basically watched and did nothing. It’s not always the Pits or their owners that are the problem.

Cowellian March 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Yeah, I said your mileage may vary. In our encounter, it was the off-leash pit-bull and the irresponsible owner that were the problem.

The common link here seems to be the off-leash dog.

Concernicus March 12, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Both times that I’ve been attacked by dogs (Once in elementary school, walking home, and second during high school, trying to walk to school), both dogs were completely unsupervised and not leashed. Both dogs were not pittbulls. A well trained pitt is infinitely less dangerous than an untrained, unsupervised dog of any sizable breed.
My brothers dog, a pitt mix (On a leash like a responsible owner should have ANY dog), was also attacked by a non-pitt that was off leash.

LEASH. YOUR. DOGS. BREED DOES NOT MATTER.
I hope lawsuits against dog owners whose dogs attack people/pets off leash become super popular. It seems like that may be the only way to get it through people’s heads that it’s not ok to let your dog off leash in public spaces that are not DESIGNATED leash-free zones.

SF oh March 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM

Wow – sorry to hear you were bitten. If I were you, I’d see a doctor about it. I love dogs but a pit bull came after me once in an open area and I was scared to death. Luckily, he just wanted me to keep moving and get out of his space, so he didn’t bite. I agree with you – it’s not the dog’s fault it’s the owner who doesn’t keep the dog under control. Hope you feel better soon.

old-school guy March 12, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Now that the rattlers are out and about, it’s probably a good idea to keep dogs on a leash while walking these trails.

Silva March 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM

You make a very good point.

The Mamba March 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Why is everyone getting bitten in Lime Ridge, what is going on up there?

bye bye bay March 12, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I always cary a some sort of weapon, be a walking stick, mace or knife. Not just for dogs but coyote’s, snakes or even hawks. Although you were in open space its always a good idea to carry some sort of protection. I often hike with my dogs and son. Being a outdoorsman. I know all the well there is wildlife that either attack out of fear or hunger. Be prepared as I always say.

Concord Guy March 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM

Good call. I’ve walked with an old golf club before.

Jojo Potato March 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM

@Pitstop Penny – very refreshing to hear from a dog owner who understands that not everyone else in the world loves your dog. I started to write more about this but I’ll leave at that. I wish more people felt the way you do.

Jojo Potato March 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM

@Dawg – Usually? On my bike I’ve had success with stopping, facing the dog and yelling “GO HOME” as loud as I could. But then there was that sublime moment out in North San Diego county when I took my right foot out of the pedal and brought it right up under that little cujo’s chin an flipped him onto his back as we were both going about 30 miles an hour. I can still remember his wail as he bounced down the highway. Perfect!

Julia March 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM

what an insanely STUPID thing to do. you sound so proud of yourself, too. speaks volumes about your mental capacity. and a cyclist, at that. I know what I’d like to do to cyclists with your mindset. sublime doesn’t even come close to describing it. idiots who take joy in hurting animals usually end up…in jail!

SF oh March 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM

I agree with Julia!

PitstopPenny March 13, 2018 at 7:49 PM

Omg how terrible!

nope March 14, 2018 at 12:39 AM

@Potato

hahahaa!!! I’m a dog lover, owner etc. I have no problem with your solution. If Fido wants to fight, well, Fido can have his fight.

We took our dogs to Mt. Devil, not knowing that there was a no dog policy, (But horses are ok?!? wtf) At least 3 crabby people with their walking poles and all, angrily scolded us, despite the dogs being on leashes.

and @julia, If an aggressive dog comes after me, I will defend myself, and my family. I suppose you would passively let the warm fuzzy animal chew on you? What would you suggest, hugs?
Nature can be harsh. Get over it.

nope March 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM

Optimally, dogs and their owners need at least basic obedience training. If you are around strangers with your dog, keep it on a leash. Which is best, as everyone wants to play lawsuit bingo these days. I’ve been bitten by dogs over the years, none of my own, they were not simple little nips. Guess what? The bites healed, and I have cool battle scars.

Sublime: of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe.

Serious? March 14, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Apparently we have some people on here who would say that if someone robs your home, you should stand by and let them shoot you. That is the equivalent of what you are saying. We have EVERY RIGHT to defend ourselves from a dog or person. In this instance, a dog was coming at a person aggressively. The dog DESERVES to be kicked for coming at a person like that. I would do the same thing. I carry a knife when I take my kids on walks. I would certainly stab, or try, any aggressive dog coming at me. With no thought and no remorse. I strongly dislike people like Julia, pitstop and SF.

anonamel March 12, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Don’t ever expose your backend to a heeler, lol.

I know it’s not funny for the person getting bitten, but I have a heeler mix and when we first got him and he got over excited, he tried to “herd” me and sometimes nipped at the back of my leg and sometimes gets me right in the butt. It still happens rarely, I honestly think he can’t help himself when he gets too worked up. He’s better about it now but my word those first few months we had him were awful!

ScreenName March 12, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Sure, your dog is just “nipping” and its just his “instinct” when he gets “excited”. It’s all fun and games until one day he gets “excited” and “nips” somebody’s child who needs to be “herded” and the child is traumatized and needs stitches. Dude, wake up. You have a biting dog, no matter what breed it is.

Chicken Little March 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM

My old boss had one years ago that used to do the same thing. I couldn’t even could how many times that little s**t bit me.

Concernicus March 12, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Your dogs behavior and mannerisms aren’t anyone else’s job to manage. YOU are the owner, it’s YOUR job to monitor YOUR animal and make sure it doesn’t pose a threat (Or nuisance) to others.

Reason March 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM

@ScreenName

I work on a lot of dog bite cases. There is a difference between a nip from a dog that is acting out its herding instinct and a bite from a dog that is acting out aggression. The herding nip is usually to the legs or hips and isn’t deep and doesn’t tear the flesh– usually doesn’t require stitches. A bite can be to any part of the body and, often the face, and is much deeper and tears the flesh.

Bottom line, a dog that nips needs to be properly restrained just like dogs that bite.

Khloe March 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM

The majority of dog owners are good people. However, you have the occasional idiots who bring their aggressive dogs out off leash and ruin it for everybody. I feel really bad for the guy who got bit. that’s just awful!

Bad Nombre March 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Time to post some signs at Lime Ridge advising visitors to be sure their Tetanus shots are up to date.

True March 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Heelers are working dogs, gotta train them at a young age mine is 3 years old and a very smart intelligent dog. The herding come from instinct see something moving gotta put it in line.

Ivanthetrollible March 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM

People who run their dogs off leash best be prepared for someone to kill it. Had I been the one hiking in Limeridge the dog would be dead. End of story. I believe this specific site ran the story about that exact instance happening on Contra Costa a few years ago, and then there’s the lady in Dana Estates who’s dog was killing in her front yard. And where is animal control in all this?

whatever March 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM

My dog is under voice control (unless he sees a squirrel) if off leash and then only if it is an open space where dogs off leash are allowed.
Ivan I hope that your comment meant that you would kill a dog if attacked and defending yourself. That is one thing. But if you meant that you would kill my dog, a member of my family if he is off leash and we crossed paths somewhere that is a serious threat and it is you that needs to be controlled.

It March 12, 2018 at 1:50 PM

I hope you got a Tetanus shot for that!

Heelers are Lovely Dogs, March 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM

but not especially good pets. Same is true for Dalmatians.

Spruce Tree March 12, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Ah yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff that pisses me off. Even if your dog is “friendly”, ALL DOGS ARE UNPREDICTABLE. Dogs’ moods can change in a millisecond and suddenly your sweet as can be Lab is pissed off at something.

We just got a shelter dog- German Shepherd, sweet girl, gets along with people but reactive towards other dogs. One night we’re walking her and this guy was walking his terrier off leash in our neighborhood (the leash law applies to you too dude) and I prayed that this dog would not approach our dog because my dog was already going ballistic.

Just because your dog is “friendly” off leash, doesn’t mean it SHOULD be off leash. Your dog can run right up to my dog, who isn’t friendly. How would you feel about not having a leash on your dog to restrain him and not let the situation escalate? Exactly.

nope March 14, 2018 at 1:02 AM

agree. Even my best trained dog, had moments (at least one I can think of) that she acted out of character, and was aggressive for a second. She did instantly obey when I commanded her to lay down. Dog training is not difficult. It simply requires a time investment that many people are unwilling to put in.

Moomoo March 12, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Dog people are silly.

Mimi (original) March 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM

I hate seeing dogs off leash! They are essentially wild animals and animal’s instincts and disposition can turn on a dime! Or they can run off after something and get hurt themselves. It’s a pity we have to have leash laws but with so many ignorant and self-centered owners they are necessary.

Cautiously Informed March 12, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Let’s see- Leash and keep dog under control; or, let dog run free and possibly bite someone, and then face getting sued. Boy, that’s a tough one.

Person March 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM

👍 Exactly!

Jersey girl March 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM

So refreshing to see that other people feel the same way as I do. Tired of the rules apply to everyone but me attitude. I’ve asked so many people to leash their dogs and get a f___ you look and most don’t even have a leash. Hope people start obeying the rules and regulations of lime ridge and life.

Jojo Potato March 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Re: having a leash. One day on the canal path I was getting hassled by an off leash dog. So I asked the owner: “where’s the leash”. He pulled a leash out of his pocket and said “right here”. What could I do? Just shook my head and moved on.

Mystic Mystic March 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Pepper spray and a good walking stick. They work well on both an aggressive dog and also on an aggressive owner who may not like you trying to fend off their aggressive dog.

Concord Res March 12, 2018 at 5:45 PM

We have seen dogs on the trail with no owner in sight and they have attacked the bike riders.

dltravers March 12, 2018 at 7:17 PM

It used to be a lovely place to walk a dog years ago but now almost everybody has their dogs off leash. I will not go there anymore. CPD need to start enforcing the rules there.

Scoob March 12, 2018 at 7:37 PM

From what I can see, this qualifies as a dog bite, which is very serious. You should see your doctor. They are required by law to report the dog as a biter. You don’t say whether you talked to the dog owner, or got his/her contact information. If you did, the dog will be registered, and if it attacks again it will be euthanized. I have carried a knife every day since 1976 when a huge German Shepherd attacked me. I sure hope I never have to hurt a dog that is attacking me, but I will without hesitation. Dawg’s advice is correct, face the dog and stand your ground. You can Google “Contra Costa Aggressive Dog law” to learn about the county law passed in November 2005.

Skippy March 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM

A nip is not a bite. A bite would involve upper and lower teeth, be round in shape and have deep puncture wounds. A mouthy dog is not necessarily a biter. When my dog was a pup he accidentally nipped my elderly mom bc he was mouthy and her skin so thin. We got medical attn but it was not reported bc it was not a sign of aggression, just a learning puppy with sharp baby teeth.

Mitch March 12, 2018 at 7:38 PM

Every time we hike Montecito, we see at least 3 people with dogs, which is 3 too many since dogs aren’t allowed.

AJ March 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM

People, for the safety of yourself, your dog, me, and my dog, keep your dogs leashed, PLEASE! Oh, and just because YOUR dog is friendly, you selfish %$/#, it doesn’t mean mine is! Again, PLEASE keep them LEASHED and away. We just rescued a wonderful family member, but are still figuring out whether there is some leash aggression. This poor dog deserves a good life and I am doing all I can to give him that, please think of him and the joy your dog brings to you and the life they deserve when you want to take him off leash. There are places for that!

CollegeCollage March 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM

Actually trail head signs say NO DOGS. It has been this way for years even though it is a rule that is not followed. Just like bikes are only allowed on the fire trails and bikes go where ever they please.

Frito Bandito. March 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM

Glad to see that Safeway has started banning all animals except “Service Dogs”…used to see Dogs and Cats being walked and driven around there in the shopping carts. Other business that let Dogs be walked on a leash on the property are just open to lawsuits from other customers when they get bit…P.S. I have had Dog and Cats as family members all My life.

Mystic Mystic March 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM

Ah, the “service dog” quandary! I work at a city-run facility that has a large sign stating dogs are not allowed by city ordinance, yet every so often we get an expert on service dogs tell us we have to allow them to bring their dog to the area because it is a service dog. The American with Disabilities Act states only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and IIIa, and it must individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. We can ask what training the dog has received, and what task it can perform, but cannot ask about the person’s disability. (This sounds really dumb because once we know what task the dog can perform, we should pretty much know what disability the person has, but that’s what the law says!). We’ve been threatened with lawsuits because we strictly enforce this requirement but we’re on solid ground. So, no emotional support animals folks, because that’s what a pet is!

Dr Jellyfinger March 12, 2018 at 10:14 PM

I never go outside without a couple of Milkbone Doggie Treats in my pocket. Aggressive dog encounter? I toss a treat up to them & we are best friends forever!…. or at least until I run out of treats.

BeeBee March 13, 2018 at 7:40 AM

Wife and I often walk at Newhall park. Even though there is an enclosed area for dogs, there’s almost always dogs off leash. One day, the police sat in the parking lot while a guy was playing with his dog off leash right in front of them. They just ignored him. Then there are the same people who never have their dog leashed. And Mr. jogger NEVER picks up after his dog, which is, of course, unleashed. On days when the dog part is closed, people think it’s an excuse to let their dogs go where ever they want!
We’ve stopped walking the canal trail (aka dog poop trail) because it’s gotton so disgusting. Unfortunately, it’s not just dogs pooping there either!

Skippy March 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Sounds like he was trying to herd you, being a herding dog. They nip at legs of animals to get them to move. There was a man bitten by a rattler in Lime Ridge recently. Perhaps the dog was tying to move you away from danger? Don’t assume aggression. Dogs are smart and usually want to assist humans.

Keep all three barrels up March 15, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Ok. I’m trying to get where you’re going with this. Please stop trying to justify why the dog nipped or bit this person. This dog isn’t Lassie trying to save Timmy from the dangerous well. Yes it’s a hearding breed and yes SOME hearding dogs still have an instinct to heard. But many do not. This just sounds like an unattended dog that bit someone and should of been on a leash. I hope they checked to make sure this dog has had all of its shots!