Rattle Snake Bites 33-Year-Old Man in Lime Ridge Open Space

March 11, 2018 17:51 pm · 24 comments

A rattle snake bit a 33-year-old man in Lime Ridge Open Space in Concord, near Maple Gate Ct. in the Crystyl Ranch neighborhood, according to Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

The incident occurred around 4:40 p.m.

The man was transported to the hospital, his condition is unknown at this time.

CSS March 11, 2018 at 6:01 PM

OMG, California politicians better make the state a “snake free zone”

Cellophane March 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Now how they gonna be able to do that when all politicians are snakes?

Marianne March 11, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Gone for a couple of days and the rattlesnakes start biting. Oh me oh my.

Sinn Feiner March 11, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Man I was just riding my bike up there this morning on the canal trail

Badge1104 March 11, 2018 at 6:23 PM

Seems early in the year for the rattlesnakes to be coming out already. I guess with such a gorgeous warm day they’re starting to.

Cellophane March 11, 2018 at 6:29 PM

The babies are out now and they’re more potent than the larger snakes.

Ya gotta be careful.

No one can protect you but you.

Jim gooch March 12, 2018 at 12:36 PM

I’m a trained docent at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, and I fell compelled to correct your myth about baby rattlers. They have the same chemical composition in their venom as their adult counterparts. The fact that their venom glands are substantially smaller than larger snakes, makes them less dangerous by shear volume of available venom to inject.

Shasta Daisy March 11, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Whooo, I was hiking in CR today and saw a baby snake! I have learned to respect their territory…took a quick photo and moved on. I told other hikers that I passed to be aware. I wasn’t sure if it was a rattlesnake or gopher snake but I let him enjoy the sun on the trails, just as I was.

Sharing nature.

Peace.

I’ll send our Mayor a photo.

Silva March 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Oo, I can’t wait! Thank you.🙂

Ian March 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM

It’s not a rattlesnake… It’s a corn snake.

lunmycats March 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM

Sinn, the snakes live here/there. They won’t jump up & bite you on bike! Trust me. Why are people so afraid? Watch for them & be mindful they here too. Stay out of tall grass where you cannot see where your feet are going. You would be surprised what lives on Lime Ridge alone with all those hikers walking by!!!

I'm The Urban Spaceman March 12, 2018 at 12:50 AM

Great advice to stay out of the grasses, as Ticks lurk there as well.

Life, Liberty and Property March 11, 2018 at 11:00 PM

Don’t tread on me.

Pleasant Hillbilly March 12, 2018 at 2:01 AM

It’s sad how quickly people make this into a political thing. It’s sick a man is severely hurt and the first thing you think of is oh here is a moment to make a joke about politics get a damn life.

Randy March 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM

It is their life. Sad

The Snake March 12, 2018 at 4:11 AM

Hey there. Just a silly ol’ snake, hanging out in limeridge. Ooh no! Somebody stepped in my space. Better give it all I’ve got. Call 911, I bit him good.

The Mamba March 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM

You’re supposed to rattle first! We had a deal!

High Cost March 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM

I encountered one on Wednesday laying acrossed the trail. I couldn’t encourage him to move along, and walking around him was less than ideal with electric fence on one side and him staring at me as I walked in the high grass on the other. There’s a high price to pay if you get bit a rattlesnake $160,000 and 5 days in ICU. Don’t mess with them!

The Mamba March 12, 2018 at 8:15 AM

Please keep us updated on his condition, scary stuff. I’d love to hear more about how it happened as well. The advice to sit down and try to relax while someone goes for help has always struck me as… challenging after being bitten by a snake.

Shasta Daisy March 12, 2018 at 9:58 AM

Yes, please an update on his condition would be greatly appreciated.
I am guilty of hiking in tall grasses to get that one photo of a beautiful wildflower. I did yesterday!

After sharing my photo online, I am pretty sure it was a gopher snake that I saw yesterday.

Peace.
Respect wildlife.

Barbie Girl March 12, 2018 at 11:13 PM

Maybe you can toss it a dog biscuit. Oh, wrong biter. :0)

Dr Jellyfinger March 13, 2018 at 12:05 AM

You can fish for snakes just by using a Beanie Baby or fuzzy cat toy as a lure. Snake bites & gets snagged…. it’s great sport!
But taking them off the toy is the tricky part.

Silva March 13, 2018 at 7:45 AM

Tromp loudly so they know you’re coming!

Stater of the Obvious March 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM

more worried about ticks than snakes this year. I went hiking in Briones this weekend and pulled 4 out of the dog and found 2 in my socks.