The Water Cooler – Paranormal Activity

February 23, 2018 12:00 pm · 39 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it.

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Have you or someone you know ever witnessed any paranormal activity? Also, if you haven’t, do you believe in ghosts?

Talk about it….

WC resident February 23, 2018 at 12:25 PM

The ghosts are on the march. We have been having many earthquakes in the area. There were four today so far mostly in Danville and the last one in Diablo which we could feel in north WC.

What's In A Name? February 23, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Happy Halloween!

Leave it alone February 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Back in the day there was this place people said was haunted. Ooooh, scary, right? So we went, took “film” photos, had them developed, freaked out what was in the pictures, and eventually burned them due to the little fact that if you have things that expose the other side, the other side comes and visits you.

That old saying about playing with fire rang pretty true for us.

Willy February 23, 2018 at 12:53 PM

I bought a 90+ year old house, and the 1st thing on the disclosure document was that it’s haunted. Also had strangers approaching me asking if I knew the history. What I can say is it’s the warmest feeling home I’ve ever lived in.

Mimi (original) February 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Obviously the house had been waiting for you!

Willy February 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Silva February 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM

ZZ February 23, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Many, many times. Apparitions, strange sounds and voices, doppelgangers, orbs. Some scary, some aren’t.

Dawg February 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Yes, in the 70’s I lived in an old Victorian house in San Francisco that was haunted by a young woman. I would see her at night, I’d wake up and she would be standing over me in a white nightgown, and I could feel a breeze blowing through the window, although the window was closed.
During the day she would move things around and turn the lights on. I would come home from work and some of the lights were on and stuff in the kitchen was moved around. I put up with her shenanigans for about 10 years until I moved to Concord.
I miss that old house, when I bought it in 1973 it was $42,000 which was a little pricey in those days, little did I know that San Francisco Victorians would be worth millions today.

Lambie February 23, 2018 at 5:20 PM

With a ghost like yours, who needs Alexa. LOL

Dee February 23, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Yes a friend did from one of the places in Virginia City Nevada. There are actually a couple up there they say are haunted. Also hear that the Columbia Hotel in Columbia State Park by Sonora is also haunted

JazzMan February 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM

Yes. Too many weird things happen to discount them.

Elwood February 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM

I once saw a flying pig.

BURNBABYBURN February 23, 2018 at 5:02 PM

I did too. It was at a Pink Floyd concert at the Cow Palace.

The Mamba February 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Yes, I stayed in a beautiful ancient house in NJ one summer. I was on the third floor reading when I heard footsteps on the wooden staircase coming up from the second floor, where no one was staying. The steps came down the hall to outside my door, when the door suddenly blew open and a cold wind blew through the room. Not a window was open. I fled back to my bedroom, but didn’t get much sleep with the adrenaline rush. When our hosts were driving us to the airport a few days later, they asked, “So did you see the ghost?” Apparently, they’d had a lot of guests leave stories in their guestbook about nocturnal happenings.

THE ANIMAL February 23, 2018 at 2:34 PM

I’m a believer, Story is a former owner of my house who killed herself
was still here. There’s been to many odd happenings through the 43
years I’ve been here to not believe. She’s never been anything but a
good spirit……………………………………………..

Mimi (original) February 23, 2018 at 3:48 PM

My house was built in the earlier 1950’s and I’ve lived in it since 1997, but no interactions with spirits! Maybe all my dogs have scared them off.

Ano February 23, 2018 at 4:07 PM

I live by Clayton valley high school and my house is haunted . You can see shadows, orbs, and hear people playing in the playroom when everyone is asleep. 2 people have come over to witness it .

Cdm95 February 24, 2018 at 5:59 AM

Rumor has it the Clayton valley charter high school is actually haunted by an old school band there. You can find the story online if you search it up.

Justdontcare February 23, 2018 at 4:36 PM

The only spirits in our house are in bottles labeled 90 proof or 8-10% alcohol by volume.

Publius February 23, 2018 at 4:41 PM

Some of the old homes in Cowell were haunted by the spirits of the people who died as a result of accidents in the cement factory. It was a popular spot for Mt. Diablo High Students.

Julio February 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM

We have regular visits from my deceased father who died here. We can smell his pipe smoke and he turns lights on. Been going on for 15 years. We love it.

Charlie February 24, 2018 at 8:18 AM

That sounds very comforting actually.

Barbie Girl February 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM

Yep. One night, I was home alone with my kids, when my son who was around three pointed at the hallway and said, “Mommy those people are mad at you” I said, you see people? “Uh huh.” What do they look like? He said, “They’re Black.” Then about a year later, my daughter who was about 18 months old started pointing and laughing at something above our bed . She said, “they’re funny!” I said, Who? She said, “They’re my friends. ” This went on for months. Also, toys would go off in the middle of the night even when I moved them to the attic. My son wouldn’t sleep in his room until high school. To this day, he sleeps with the TV on. Oooooooooooooo

Silva February 23, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Nothing like that used to happen around me when I was young. I used to hang out in cemeteries too. Now dead friends and relatives visit and talk to me. Sometimes it’s really super important and life changing, but they told me when I was asleep, but try and try as I might, I couldn’t remember what it was upon awakening. It’s better when they tell me things when I’m awake. The most famous and least familiar dead person who visited was George Harrison!!

Jeff February 23, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Several, many actually, I’m a Concord native and I think my sister having “not” just one but two Ouija boards, she got at two different birthday parties in the ’60’s, we all think that stirred something up, too many to explain in detail, but my mom made her get rid of them but they kept reappearing. If anyone is interested watch the “Dead Files” on Comcast channel 71 Saturday two shows 10-12.

Lambie February 23, 2018 at 5:24 PM

A near-death experience.

Possible contact via dream. I had a dream of someone dying, at the time they died. I didn’t find be out until a few days later. The death was unexpected.

I wouldn’t mind a harmless encounter 🙂

Dorothy February 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM

Yes, experienced some unexplained happenings. But no, don’t believe in ghosts.

Cowellian February 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, just because I can’t explain something, that doesn’t make it magic.

Kentucky Derby February 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I don’t believe in the paranormal, but as a kid I had fun with Ouija boards. My friends and I would contact the dead. Usually our grandparents. My mom owned an antique store in downtown Martinez, and she swears she heard ghosts. Very common in downtown Martinez. They used to have a ghost walk. My cousin told me there were ghosts in her home in Southern CA. I’ve been told you have to experience before becoming a believer. Wow.

Lizzie February 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM

When I was a teenager, a friend of mines mother and grandmother believed in “spirits”. At the time they lived in La Honda on a ranch, no-one near for a few miles. One night we were getting ready for bed and we heard the back screen door open and the kitchen light came on. We heard voices and Michelle says “it’s just my Uncle JR, he always comes by to say goodnight to my Grandma”.The next day, I found out that JR had died years before. Needless to say, I was a little freaked out. That night at dinner, we were sitting at the dinner table and Grandma would not allow us to eat until everyone was seated. There were only 4 of us and we were all seated. One by one each dinning room chair creaked as if someone was sitting down. When all was “present” we ate dinner. When we were all done, Grandma put her hand on her shoulder, as if someone was touching her, nodded, smiled and said “Thank you” as if someone was thanking her for the meal. I thought it was wierd, but didn’t think much about it until I became an adult. Now, many years later, I respect the “the other side” and freak out every time I hear the X-files music…Go figure.

Edi Birsan February 23, 2018 at 9:22 PM

Do not believe in ghosts.
as for paranormal, My brother in law and I some 50 years ago did a whole paranormal set up on one of his co-workers that was convinced that his house was haunted and had an exorcism done by an Eastern Orthodox priest, that night I played the part of the ghost.

Fritzhugh Ludlow February 23, 2018 at 10:22 PM

In answer to the first question: need to answer the second question….P.S. this reply is Ghostwritten.

Dr Jellyfinger February 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM

I actually saw an object fly off a shelf and hit the wall on the opposite side of the room…. I was looking directly at it when it happened. This was at a business in Concord back in the late 70’s. It frightened 5 or 6 of us that saw it happen… made one of the girls cry. I still can’t explain it…..

YO YO MAN February 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM

Boo !

Maribel February 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM

I believe in ghosts. The unrested walk the earth.

slagheap February 24, 2018 at 11:25 AM

total, 100%, unadulterated, complete hokum, right along with the other great hoax, astrology.

nytemuvr February 24, 2018 at 12:30 PM

That’s right, that’s why I’ll stick with numerology and phenology.

ONIWY February 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Haven’t seen him for myself, but the story is that Abraham Lincoln is a very persistent visitor at the White House. He was spotted by a very surprised Winston Churchill, who was taking a bath at the time. Also appeared at the door after knocking politely, and scared Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands so badly that she actually fainted.