Claycord – Talk About Whatever

February 23, 2018 19:04 pm · 103 comments

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Cowellian February 23, 2018 at 7:04 PM

Cowellian’s Second!
Our son and daughter-in-law have blessed us with our second granddaughter, and we are very happy!

KAD February 23, 2018 at 8:01 PM

How wonderful. So happy for you.

ConcordKate February 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM

Congrats Cowellian.. Peace to Claycordians tonight,

Shasta Daisy February 23, 2018 at 9:11 PM

Congratulations, 🎉 my friend.
You will always be #1 in my book.

Peace ✌🏼

Silva February 23, 2018 at 9:19 PM

What wonderful news, Cowellian! Enjoy!!

Still anon February 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM

Antler February 24, 2018 at 3:04 AM

Congratulations to all, and enjoy cuddling the new little one!

Chevelle girl February 24, 2018 at 9:10 AM

How exciting! Congrats!

Kentucky Derby February 24, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Congratulations Cowellian!

Concord Mike February 24, 2018 at 9:41 AM

Great news!!!

Dorothy February 24, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Congratulations to all 6 of you!

Mary Fouts February 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Congratulations Cowellian and family! Best wishes for a life of peace, good health, and happiness for your new granddaughter.

Pony February 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Congratulations Cowellian!!! 🙂

Shygurl February 26, 2018 at 7:59 PM

ClayDen February 27, 2018 at 11:20 PM

Congratulations! Grandchildren are great.

Our sixth granddaughter arrived a couple of weeks ago. We also have four grandsons.

Ex-Coastie February 23, 2018 at 7:09 PM

I’ve missed out on all the recent earthquakes. C’mon, make the earth move under my feet!

Mary Fouts February 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM

My husband Jim and I have also not felt one of them at our home in south PH. Also zero reaction from our dogs.

Wave February 23, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Wave first again!!

Scoob February 23, 2018 at 7:19 PM

Please don’t litter!

Marie February 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM

I drove through the state streets today ( off of Pine Hollow) and saw orange notices taped to a lot of the garage doors. What are those?

Silva February 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM

I had one on the garage door the other day in my neighborhood, it was a solicitation for painting numbers on the curb.

CSS February 23, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Get out of California ASAP to improve your lives. Heavy traffic, high cost of living, high taxes, political morons and rude people make it an easy decision.

BB February 24, 2018 at 7:37 AM

Ancient Mariner February 23, 2018 at 7:42 PM

Congratulations Cowellian!
I’m still waiting for my long-overdue promotion from Dad to Grandpa.

Concord Grape February 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Ha anyone received letters regarding MCE starting electricity service in Concord? Is this something to recoup losses due to the fires, in other words, sticking it to us?

Really ??? February 23, 2018 at 9:49 PM

You pose a good question. I too received one this week (in Concord). The letter was a bit vague on what their main purpose is.

WC resident February 23, 2018 at 11:03 PM

It has nothing to do with the fires.

MCE has been running in Walnut Creek for about a year.

They are an alternative to PG&E for generating electricity. The bill still comes from PG&E with PG&E billing you for electric transmission and the local connection to your home. There’s a page in the PG&E bill with the MCE stuff.

It’s extremely difficult to tell if MCE is cheaper or more expensive than PG&E. MCE’s home page at the moment claims “MCE is proud to announce that Light Green costs 2-5% less than PG&E, effective March 1st.” Note that just the electric generation would be 2-5% less than PG&E and that’s a small part of your total bill. For example, my February electric was $121.89 for PG&E electric and $48.69 for the MCE part. That means I’ll save between $0.99 to $2.56 on the March 2018 bill. While all of the information is available to the public it’s next to impossible for someone to translate the tariffs into what’s on your billing statement meaning I can’t figure out how much I actually save, if anything.

It’s also extremely difficult to tell if MCE is “greener” than PG&E. While MCE is supposed to be 50% renewable energy it turns out that PG&E is nearly always 100% renewable.

While it’s name is Marin Clean Energy MCE is more of a virtual company. They do not generate any electricity but instead buy it from others and are offering the electricity to people in a dozen or co cities in the Marin, Napa, and Contra Costa counties.

MCE does not own or operate any transmission lines nor do they provide electric service to anyone.

KAD February 23, 2018 at 11:52 PM

Does the letter mention opting out? I want to opt out because they do not offer the balanced payment plan. The balanced payment plan averages out your bills so they only change every 6 months, not monthly. I want to know what my bill is going to be and not have it change every month.

Opt out February 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM

You need to go to the MCE website to opt out. Just have your PG&E account number. A month or so ago I went on a bill calculator and at that time it said my bill would go up $6 a month. Right now I am a bit leery with claims that this will be cheaper. I also don’t like that we have to opt out, not in. This is counting on having people not being aware of the change and being forced into a program that will cost them more money in the long run. The whole premise of this service stinks of corruption. A company that doesn’t generate electricity has us buying a product they don’t create being distributed by a company that does generate electricity? No thank you, I’ve already opt out.

Roz February 24, 2018 at 7:23 AM

We did OPT OUT from MCE. If you don’t want a charge from MCE, it must be done 5 days before the start date. Ours was going to be April 1st 2018.

Here is some info to help you make your choose:

City Girl February 24, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Still quite thankful for my solar. In 18 months, I have saved quite a bit including on my gas bill which for February is $25. I use a portable heater (electric) to heat the room in which I spend most of my time so that I don’t have to pay for gas nor electricity For heat. I pay only for what my solar generates, and it is15.5 cents per KWH.

KAD February 24, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information. My letter arrived today.

apollo idol prudence February 23, 2018 at 8:02 PM

when will the weater stop being so damn cold; have to duct tape my nipples before they freeze off

Shasta Daisy February 23, 2018 at 9:10 PM

Not cold, BRISK and refreshing and perfect for hiking and star 🌟 gazing. Go outside and check out those beautiful stars ✨

Peace, my friend. ✌🏼

Justdontcare February 24, 2018 at 8:59 AM

Now I’d love to see that…

Silva February 24, 2018 at 7:03 PM

AAAaaaaaa HAHAHAHAHA hahahahaha !!!!!!! LOL!!

Silva February 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM

Atticus Thraxx February 23, 2018 at 9:34 PM

Don’t blink:

Fighting out of his weight class:

Cat tricks:

A good earth ground:

Cannot be contained:

And doe to Dais:

Damn seagulls:

Brakes failed:

Cats are little bastids it turns out:

Just barely made it:

Probably easier to do knowing it’s been done before:

Country BBQ. With thermite:

Believe it or not, it’s a moth:

Mt. Diablo from Richmond in the early sixties:

Adorable in a funny looking kinda way:

Even for a woodpecker that seems excessive:

Nobody panic:

Seems cruel:

Depressing calendar:

Good thing he had a helmet on. I guess:

A face full of leopard:

Gimme, you’re not even doin’ it right:

KAD February 24, 2018 at 1:02 AM

Thanks for another great set of videos. Love the Leopard and the dog taking the kitty away to do the feeding herself.

Silva February 24, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Thank you Atticus Thraxx for a LOT of really heartwarming GIFs! I too especially like mama dog. Some folks are just born to be mamas. A pet store I know of has a wet nurse rat. All hungry little mouths are welcome. And they don’t even have to be ratlets. Mice are gladly accepted. It’s her full time job. If you take one of her charges away she follows your hand to get it back. Refrigerator door man was funny too! So close it was almost like he somehow aimed it at himself.

Atticus Thraxx February 25, 2018 at 4:44 PM

I’m delighted you guys enjoy. 🙂
Next two weeks will likely be late and lite, my apologies in advance.
Congratulations Cowellian!

RANDOM TASK February 24, 2018 at 12:05 AM

Dr Jellyfinger February 24, 2018 at 1:42 AM

Junior Brown “Surf Medley” just because it’s so cool…..

I'm The Urban Spaceman February 24, 2018 at 11:12 PM

Awesome song/guitarist. Junior was my daughter’s 1st concert at 10 yrs old or so, in Marin, at Rancho Nicasio.

Silva February 26, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Ooo, nice!! Very cool.

SF oh February 24, 2018 at 9:35 AM

I’ve been watching the Olympics, as I’ve done since I was a kid, and one commercial real stood out to me. It was for Diet Coke. Coca Cola has been running TV commercials for years and many have become well-known. Anyway, the first ad shows a woman walking and telling viewers to “…just do you, whatever it is”. Then she states that she drinks Diet Coke “.. because I can!”. The next Coke commercial shows a guy also stating something like, ‘it’s all about me’ or whatever. When I saw these commercials I thought, wow – this is sure different from “I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony…..”. I’m not criticizing the ad – the advertisers are spot on with this. I just found it interesting that the iconic Americana brand, Coke, has really tapped into American society today. That’s the attitude: narcissistic, uncaring, self-absorbed jerks.

Really ??? February 24, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Excellent commentary and insight. That didn’t even occur to me, but you are absolutely (sadly) right!

CSS February 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM

They’re just mirroring the California persona…

SF oh February 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM

My favorite Diet Coke commercial is still Robert Palmer singing ‘Simply Irresistible’. Which was most irresistible? The Coke or Robert Palmer? Now that was a good commercial! =:-D

Dorothy February 24, 2018 at 10:01 AM

No book report. Had to put the ones I was reading in order to pick 3 new ones to read and finish within a month or so. World Con (Sci Fi & Fantasy) members get to nominate and then later vote for Hugo awards.

Hugo awards are the Oscars of the Sci Fi & Fantasy world. World Con has been around since 1939. Long before Comic con and Cos play. I guess you could call those World Con’s offspring’s.

Jojo Potato February 24, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Glad to hear from Dorothy. I just finished “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, Phillip K Dick. Fun since it’s set in post nuclear war San Francisco. Lots of people have emigrated to Mars and there they have androids to help them. Those left behind have to deal with it as best they can. Our hero’s job is to kill those androids who have sneaked back to earth. Difficult to tell them apart from regular humans. Fun short read. I guess it was the novel that “Blade Runner” is based on. A movie that I am unlikely to ever see. Enjoy your reading.

Cowellian February 24, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Faux Nudes February 24, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Concord Traffic Lights

So, it’s been a while since the Public Works folks said they would work on retiming traffic lights around town. I haven’t seen any improvement, and some seem worse. If you come off 242 S at Grant and want to drive to Babel Lane, you can hit sequential red lights at least a dozen times. Today I was lucky in that I only was stopped at the off ramp light; at the light for the northbound offramp; at the hospital; at the post office; at Concord B; at Willow Pass; at the BART under-crossing; at Coventry; and at the bike trail. You should be able to drive all the way to Clayton without hitting a light, but our PW managers are lame.

And speaking of “freeway”: now there’s a term heading for extinction; I remember when we were told by Governor Brown (Daddy) all the major roadways in California would be forever free, but that was a load of manure – multiple taxes and now tolls! Like father, like son only worse!

Silva February 24, 2018 at 5:59 PM

I’m getting kinda used to Maila’s nice (toothless?) smile. She does look very sweet.

Dr Jellyfinger February 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM

she looks like she’d like to bite an appendage off.

Silva February 25, 2018 at 10:56 PM

You are right. Kinda demonic looking.

anon February 24, 2018 at 9:45 PM

Concord Police were called regarding a large party on Burnside Ct. that escalated into a large street fight. Shots were heard coming from a black vehicle. CPD and a CHP helicopter is on scene.
According to witnesses the shots heard were fireworks. February 24, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Thanks, anon!

What the ? February 24, 2018 at 9:52 PM

Police chase or what on concord blvd.. just ended? Still going? Do i hear a helicopter now?

Silva February 25, 2018 at 2:14 PM

The History of Clam Chowder, an unsolicited history lesson.
The word ‘chowder’ has its roots in the Latin word ‘calderia’ which first meant ‘a place for warming things’ and then later was known as a cooking pot. The word calderia also gave us the word cauldron, which is ‘chaudiere’ in French. The Oxford English Dictionary traces the word ‘chowder’ to the fishing villages along the coast of France, from Bordeaux to Brittany, as well as the Cornwall region of southwestern England. According to legend, when the ships returned from the sea, every village would stage a welcoming celebration, complete with a large ‘chaudiere,’ which was prepared in advance of the sailors’ return and ready to add the fresh fish they had caught. By the middle of the 1800s, chowder had become a popular dish throughout the northeastern United States. Clams and shellfish were added to the chowder because they were so easy to find along the Eastern seaboard.

I am typing on a Mexican keyboard. I can t find the apostrophy key. It s very complicated. It s loaded with Windows 7 in Spanish, too. It thinks I m misspelling everything I write in English. I may be!

Inytemuvr February 25, 2018 at 4:02 PM

KAD March 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM

I enjoyed that Silva – Any more or is this the last one?

JazzMan February 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM

I noticed about a week or two ago that Vic Stewart’s steak restaurant was closed. Today it was totally torn down. When did they close?

Shasta Daisy February 25, 2018 at 7:24 PM
Jojo Potato February 25, 2018 at 8:36 PM

January 14th. Google is your friend sometimes.

Dr Jellyfinger February 25, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Silva… are you in Mexico or do you just have a Mexican keyboard up here in Gringo Land?

Silva February 25, 2018 at 10:51 PM

It is a spare. I am here. My normal laptop is having wireless card troubles, maybe. I cannot connect wirelessly too far away from the router in the living room. I tripped over the ethernet cable and yanked it out, and part of the end is missing, so I guess I need a new one, or no more conjunctions. This keyboard is completely crazy. If I hold shift and select a symbol, it types an entirely different symbol than what is on the key. Maybe I will find the apostrophe through trial and error. I cannot find parentheses, semicolon, quotation marks, or any other useful item. To type the AT sign which is on the q key, I looked it up once. I think it was alt and q, but now when I do it I get an a with two dots over it. I think It has gone bonkers.

Silva February 26, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Oh, jeez, I just let windows do 168 updates to it, and now the internet is in Spanish.

Dr Jellyfinger February 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM

Fergie’s rendition of the national anthem…. even the dogs agree… just awful!

Silva February 25, 2018 at 11:00 PM

You adopted Maila!!😍

Justifiable Languor February 26, 2018 at 7:53 AM

How do I look back at past weeks postings? The Quicklinks threads from past weeks, etc..

Justifiable Languor February 26, 2018 at 11:53 AM

Figured it out

Joe February 26, 2018 at 8:02 AM

Good morning
I’m wondering what’s the problem with delivery of my news paper from the East bay times is , and is any one Elis in my area receiving a paper ? We are on Cowell rd just north of Treat Blvd. It started Sunday with a no show 1st call,to customer service, Monday no paper again #2 call Tuesday paper was delivered two house away go figure another call #3 Wednesday got a paper to our house “Holy cow” they got it right. Thursday no paper call number #4 this time they said they will get me a paper today made the call just after 7 am , when i called back #5 after 2 or three hours they change their story, sorry you won’t get the paper today and it may take more time to get your paper , even though this has been on going sense Sunday ,Ok “Holy Toledo” how hard is it to get a news paper to your home after calling #5 times ? Is this Local news I think it is but I won’t be able to read it because I have no paper .I regret paying for a year of news paper when the customer service is so poor in resolving this issue .In closing I’ll be sitting at driveway with my laptop reading online news on Claycord hoping for the news print I read each morning when and if i get the paper , wish me luck Joseph M 🙂 UP Date again No Sunday paper WEEK TWO , Got online this time requested a paper still no paper SUNDAY PAPER and now here it is MONDAY Guess what NO PAPER ! At this point customer service is Nonexistent as i struggle to receive a paper deviled to my home

Dr Jellyfinger February 26, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Stop subscribing…. you are just encouraging them.

Jojo Potato February 26, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Get the online version. That’s what they want you to do. So take a deep breath, relax and read it online.

Cowellian February 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM

I canceled my subscription to the CoCo Times when they replaced my paperboy with an adult in a car. I had many of the same complaints you did. The funny thing is that they continued to deliver the paper, even after I stopped paying for it. Apparently, I was worth more as an advertising target than as a paying customer.

My local paper subscription includes both digital and print, but I canceled the print version because their customer service is so bad.

KAD February 26, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Joe – At least you got a paper. I have been waiting since Oct for my first delivery of the Sunday only delivery. Call every week. Still nothing changes. No paper.

Shasta Daisy February 26, 2018 at 8:12 AM

Rain drops are falling on my head…..

AlwaysBePositive February 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM

What does Claycord do to verify that posters on these threads are actual people?

Kentucky Derby February 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM

What else would we be besides people? Do you think we’re from another planet? I can see how some comments might lead you to that impression.

AlwaysBePositive February 26, 2018 at 11:24 AM

I’m interested in ‘bot’ prevention. I heard an interesting conversation about their intrusion into local chat boards.

Justifiable Languor February 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Does a bot have any distinctions from a human as far as postings go?

Kentucky Derby February 26, 2018 at 11:53 AM

I understand bot prevention. CAPTCHA can separate people from robots. I can tell from the tone of comments that these are people – not robots. If you’re complaining about the city council, or arguing politics, or complaining about parties near the Concord Pavilion, or whining about Concord going downhill or commenting how you’re not going to a restaurant because the health department closed it down – sounds like real people to me. Having grown up in Concord, I can tell if someone “knows Concord.”

I believe people here are real. And they live in the Claycord area, grew up in the Claycord area – or both. get more than enough real traffic.

Justifiable Languor February 27, 2018 at 10:52 AM

That’s a good explanation. I never thought about bots on a local blog. Weird.

Original G February 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Finally …. so this is why I’ve never won one of those, was doing it all wrong.

Original G February 26, 2018 at 4:28 PM

We’re getting fair amount of hail here in West Clayton.

Weather radar shows it’s snowing / hailing on Mt. Diablo.

Go Martinez February 27, 2018 at 7:33 AM

Today’s the day the winner will be announced for the Small Business Revolution. Good Luck Martinez…

Kentucky Derby February 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM

I hope Martinez wins! I voted every day!

Original G February 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM

In this case probably would not have hurt to have someone with a portable radio following in a vehicle behind, that and being a little more to the left would not have hurt either. Glad no one was next to it.

Torsion is said to be the twisting of an object due to an applied torque.

Silva February 28, 2018 at 8:21 PM

Coulda been worse!

Oeiginal G February 27, 2018 at 11:03 PM

CHP fixed wing aircraft circling over Clayton

Anon-2-U February 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM

Wondering February 28, 2018 at 7:07 PM

What happened at Olympic High School today?

City Girl February 28, 2018 at 7:54 PM

I take that back. It wasn’t a gun it was TWO loaded guns! The 18-year-old student is Alejandra Cortes, a gangbanger, who had previously been arrested for weapons violations. Nice…..

Dr Jellyfinger February 28, 2018 at 8:34 PM

High speed chase on hwy 24 heading east! CHP has been chasing this cat all the way from Merced.

Dr Jellyfinger March 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM
Jojo Potato February 28, 2018 at 9:32 PM

Remember that guy with the mule(s)? He’s recently been in San Diego county. Somehow comforting to know he’s still wandering. See:

Cafe girl March 1, 2018 at 6:50 AM

Anybody know anything about West St being extended through the back of Concord High

KAD March 2, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Yes, it has to do with the development of the Naval Weapons Station.

macawlady March 1, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a Mt. Diablo Cam that is still operational. Heard about the snow and have used cams in the past to view it – all the ones I know about now seem to be defunct. (Might not be viewable today anyway, due to the rain) Anyone know?

elviss March 1, 2018 at 9:27 PM

There is nothing much to see at the moment, but here is one webcam of Mt. Diablo.

Jojo Potato March 2, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Beautiful day out on the bike. About 11:00 got a blast of ( smallsh ) hail in Pleasant Hill. Whoo Hoo! That’ll wake you up. Nice to see some weather happening.

KAD March 2, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Last. I lasted somewhere else also. Can you find it or do you care?