The Water Cooler – Cinemark Theater Bans Large Bags, Will Start Searching

February 22, 2018 12:00 pm · 64 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it.

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Starting today, the Cinemark movie theaters will ban large bags from their theaters. Diaper bags and purses will be ok, but they will have the ability to search.

Do you like this new rule, or do you think they’re overreacting?

Talk about it….

Kentucky Derby February 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM

I think they’re overreacting. They’re claiming security concerns, but I think they’re trying to ban people from bringing in their own snacks. If snacks are a concern, you can still put them in your purse.

If they start searching my purse just to see a movie, I’ll stop going to Cinemark theaters.

Dawg February 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM

I don’t have a purse.

Silva February 22, 2018 at 3:26 PM

I just bet you’re right. It’s probably about the snacks from outside too.😏

Simonpure February 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Why not. If your inconvenienced that much…stay home.

Reality says... February 22, 2018 at 12:47 PM

+1, if you don’t like being searched in any fashion stay away from the places that require it. Less people for me to have to wait in line behind. 🙂

AnonZ February 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM

That depends upon what are they searching for? Drinks and candy? No big deal. Guns, ok, but still a little overreacting.

annon February 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM

With the things that have happened with guns, I do not mind being searched, or having my purse searched.

Livin downtown February 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM

anon, Benjamin Franklin said it best.
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither.”

Pyrrhus February 22, 2018 at 4:57 PM

I don’t necessarily disagree with you @Living downton, but that quote is always taken out of context. Benjamin Franklin was actually referring to the Penns who wanted to send a lump sum of money to protect them during the French and Indian War instead of paying taxes and paying for a military defense.

Silva February 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Since they’ll get sued if the unthinkable happens, I guess we’ve come to that.

Rob February 22, 2018 at 12:33 PM

I don’t see any problem – it’s their business and I don’t carry large bags around and seriously why do you need some huge back to go watch a movie banging around people when trying to move in the seats, etc…

Hill February 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Kind of point less, you don’t need a large bag to bring in a gun. You can put enough guns and ammo in a jacket to harm a lot of people.
Also, not surching a purse or diaper bag is wrong, and some women have purses that are very large. It should be all bags or no bags.

Concernicus February 22, 2018 at 12:42 PM

It’s not “wrong” when you consider how many shooters are male. Don’t need anybody rooting around in my purse and knowing when I’m carrying a tampon, TYVM.

(And before someone says ‘put it in your pocket or jacket’–girl jeans rarely have pockets you can fit your fingers in much less a tampon, and jackets aren’t a much better option either.)

Simonpure February 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Diaper bags and purses will be ok, but they will have the ability to search.

Lo February 22, 2018 at 1:01 PM

It’s only in the last decade or so that they STOPPED doing this. As a younger person I remember them making us open our purses to check for “outside snacks” on a regular basis at ALL theaters.

Lambie February 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM

I’ve never seen that happen.

The Mamba February 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM

It won’t affect me, don’t care.

Starman February 22, 2018 at 1:05 PM

They will lose business they lost mine

Pfft February 22, 2018 at 2:42 PM

They won’t even know you’re gone.

Starman February 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Cinemark filing for bankruptcy soon

USA February 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Here ya go –

The video shows how easy it is to conceal weapons.

After watching this, do you still feel like checking bags is really an answer to anything other than deterring candy smugglers?

hehaseesaw February 22, 2018 at 1:09 PM

this is about snacks and drinks as well as video cameras not guns. Because people record cam versions of movies and upload them online. They also don’t like people getting candy outside for a dollar they rather have you pay 4-5 dollars from them lol. Cinemark wont be getting my money, ill go to the drive in or elsewhere.

Anon, too. February 23, 2018 at 9:39 PM

My question is if they search a purse and find a candy bar, what are they going to do? Are they allowed to confiscate it? What about if I bought it to consume later and happen to have it in my purse? And if I carry a video camera in my purse are you going to kick me out? Video cameras nowadays are easily small enough to carry in even the smallest of purses and can be used for a wide variety of purposes besides illegal movie pirating. Besides, everyone has a phone that can capture video these days. This policy might really check for guns, but as for the other things, they can really only shoot you dirty looks for bringing them in and if they really kick you out for it- as several have said, they’ll probably lose too much business.

Chicken Little February 22, 2018 at 1:17 PM

I quit going to movie theaters years ago, so I really don’t care. And if it makes naive people feel safer, have at it.

Marco February 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM

It was a Century Theatre that had the shooting in Colorado in 2012. They are trying to increase security . it has zero to do with bringing in snacks.

Doh February 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM

It absolutely has to do with checking for outside snacks. When a blockbuster is release the distributor collects all the tickets sale for a number of weeks. That number depends on the anticipated sales. When the second Star Wars film The Empire Strikes Back was released, it was a big deal. The distributor collected 4 weeks of tickets sales. The theater only made money on the snacks sold. I don’t believe the Aurora shooter purchased a ticket to enter. His guns would have been noticed when he handed over his ticket.

mike favar February 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Save your money. Watch the movie on dvd, blu ray, or streaming instead.

TheYellowRanger February 22, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Beat me to it. Movies come out on digital/disc so fast these days. I can wait 3 months.

Dorothy February 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Excuse to search for “forbidden” or “you didn’t buy that inside at our over inflated prices.” Security is secondary.

Not to worry, just wear something with large pockets instead.

Mike February 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM

So, what exactly will the pimply faced kid at the theater do if they find a patron with a firearm?

WC resident February 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM

They will pop a pimple.

Kentucky Derby February 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM

If it only had to do with “security” they would have made this decision in 2012. It’s 2018, and I think they’re trying to stop you from bringing in snacks, and security is secondary.

Snacks is where they MAKE THEIR MONEY. Businesses are in business to make money – period. Don’t be naïve.

M February 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM

The word you’re looking for is searching. Not surching.

ConcordMike February 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Maybe metal detectors would do much better around all doorways. But that won’t prevent one or more people from rushing the complex and enter to shoot up a theater. What about bombs? Bottom line is this about mental health and the loss of family values.

Chicken Little February 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM

Metal detectors won’t detect contraband snacks.

BITE_ME February 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM

What about KFC buckets. It’s not a bag.

Rob February 22, 2018 at 2:07 PM

It is amazing how people suddenly won’t go to see a movie if they can’t bring their huge bag along as it might be looked into…

If you can’t see a movie with some massive bag – great – we don’t want folks trying to move through the seats lugging some huge bag that’s smacking folks with each step.

Foonman February 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM

They own the business and they make the rules……..don’t like it don’t go….or maybe here in California, there may be some state law against owning your business…..

Yahooboi February 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM

I dont like it. I now know what movie theatres not to go to anymore. Sorry I bring my own snacks, but now you lose my business.

anon February 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM

At least they are trying to do something not like our schools still doing nothing.

AlwaysBePositive February 22, 2018 at 2:46 PM

You are incorrect.

Kirkwood February 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM

You mean people bring crying/smelly babies into theaters?

NunYa February 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM

They can just hide them in their purses with their dogs, cats and birds.

SF oh February 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM

This policy is in place for sporting events and concerts. Having it in movie theatres is fine too.

Silly Putty February 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to smuggle in candy and sodas? Aint NO WAY I’m payin what they charge for those things! I will, however, order a bucket-o-popcorn. 🙂

RANDOM TASK February 22, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Incognito February 22, 2018 at 4:26 PM

Where there is a will, there is a way…
If you want to sneak in your own candy and/or a gun, you’ll find a way, don’t need a backpack or a large purse.

Mimi (original) February 22, 2018 at 4:32 PM

If I can’t take my own water and snacks in anymore, it’s just another reason (aside from the exorbitant cost of movies!) to stay home and watch movies at my leisure, where I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom, get a snack, take a quick nap, you name it! Home is the best theatre!

Pony February 22, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Just another good reason not to go to an overprice movie theater.

Lambie February 22, 2018 at 5:58 PM

They need to reduce the snack prices.
The large bags could be students with backpacks going to the movie after school.

Pulse February 22, 2018 at 8:17 PM

There banning large bags, not GUNS or food.

JazzMan February 22, 2018 at 9:10 PM

If you’re not doing anything illegal, you got nothing to worry about. I’d rather be safe. I still have ways to bring in my snacks, cuz being a male I don’t have a purse.

Commish7 February 23, 2018 at 6:45 AM

Well I’m boycotting! It’s far too nosey, and overreacting. When the airlines started this, I decided never to fly again. Now I’m boycotting all movie theaters. Cuz anyone who supports this crap is a spineless pussy little sheeple who loves being under government control….

SL February 23, 2018 at 7:01 AM

@Kentucky Derby.. so now they’re the problem because you chose to go against their policy of no outside food? Entitlement has gotten out of hand! I’m sure they could careless if you went! Like @Simonpure says..Stay home!!

Kentucky Derby February 23, 2018 at 9:23 AM

I like my privacy, and they don’t need to look in my purse. I’m not sneaking in snacks (I don’t eat at the movies) and yes, I will go elsewhere. Most theaters aren’t stupid enough to invade your privacy.

If this was all about security, they would’ve made this decision in 2012. Wise up.

D.V. Guy February 23, 2018 at 7:16 AM

Who cares, I don’t spend my money on that crap anyway. If you want effective securing of any area CAVITY SEARCHES are required…….just saying………… I can hear it now……..HEY that wasn’t a snicker…………………

Ricardus February 23, 2018 at 8:08 AM

It’s a 2-3 hour movie. Just bring a “small bag” and you should be okay LOL. I wonder how they will determine what a “big bag” is since “size matters”.

What's In A Name? February 23, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Cinemark thinks we can’t be trusted to be around each other. It’s just that simple. Many have commented here that the searches wouldn’t bother them, but if the majority businesses searched customers due to liability concerns, it would signify a breakdown of society.

Popcorn and Soda February 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM

As long as they don’t take my bag of microwave popped popcorn and can of soda that I brought from home, all is good. I can’t afford to pay $20 for a bucket of popcorn and soda.

Ano February 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM

They must be forgetting that we 5 other theaters in our area. We will just go there. My everyday purse is 20 inches x 20 inches and carries my diabetes meds.

Right Here Right Now February 23, 2018 at 11:50 AM

I hope they hire ex-TSA workers to do the searching. Then the theater can trade their shooting lawsuits for battery lawsuits. People wake up. The systems that at one time protected us are not looking out for us anymore. You go the movies, YOU take the responsibility of ensuring your safety.

macawlady February 23, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Some people need to bring their own food due to health issues. Diabetes, etc.

Town February 23, 2018 at 2:14 PM

This becomes policy about the same time they get permission to serve beer and wine. If guns were the real concern why didn’t they do it after the Colorado theater shooting?

slagheap February 23, 2018 at 6:15 PM

excellent idea. the chain is stepping up with a proactive policy instead of waiting for the inevitable.