UPDATE: 16-Year-Old Bicyclist Killed During Collision on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord

February 19, 2018 9:08 am · 42 comments

(by Janis Mara) – A cyclist was killed in a collision with a pickup truck on Willow Pass Road in Concord Sunday evening, police said.

The cyclist, a 16-year-old from Concord, was riding northbound in the west crosswalk across Willow Pass Road at Fry Way, police said. He was struck by a westbound pickup truck on Willow Pass Road driven by a 40-year-old Fairfield man around 6:51 p.m., according to police.

The cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the pickup truck called 911 and cooperated with officers when they arrived, police said. Alcohol and drugs are not believed to be a factor in the collision.

The cause of the collision is under investigation.

Anyone with information on the collision is asked to call Officer Matt Forristall at (925) 671-3172.

WC resident February 19, 2018 at 9:32 AM

RIP – I don’t know if that was the case with this kid but I’ve seen a fair number of them recently riding without helmets.

Concord Mike February 19, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Concerns me also. The police are not saying and I am not sure why.

Bruce "0le" D Ohlson February 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM

A 1″ thick, formed piece of styrofoam (AKA bike helmet) is not going to help when a 150 lb human is run over by a 3500 lb car. ~0le

WC resident February 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM

@Bruce – A helmet definitely will tilt the odds in the human’s favor. Most of the time the bicycle rider goes flying and is not run over or crushed by the vehicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLdnuLRZZUY is a typical compilation. What kills the person is the impact of their head with the car and/or pavement.

Pac Islander February 19, 2018 at 8:45 PM

Bruce, you would be surprised. The impact with the car isnt usually the killer, its the unprotected impact with the ground.

Faux Nudes February 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM

Seen one motorcycle get hit by a car – he flew thru the air and hit the street. I was also a rider on a bike that was hit by a car. I also flew thru the air and hit the street. Neither one of us was “run over”, Bruce. We both landed on the pavement, which caused our injuries. A helmet protects the brain box from smashing into the asphalt or concrete, so you need to have a little more expertise before voicing your opinion.

Shiloh February 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM

This is so very sad 😞. I feel for everyone. I always notice how HARD it is to see people in the dark. Especially with your headlights and everyone else’s, until someone is directly in your lights, it’s that much darker outside of your direct path.

Eudamonia February 19, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Please no victim blaming.

missimee February 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM

If the cyclist was going north in the western cross walk across Willow Pass and the vehicle was going west on Willow Pass, one of them was, more likely than not, crossing the road against a red light.

I nearly hit a jogger crossing Ygnacio at Ayers one morning. I was on Ayers turning right onto Ygnacio. Ygnacio had the green light. As the right lane was clear I started my turn only to see a jogger crossing YV against the light. I was able to avoid him, but really he couldn’t wait a minute or so until the light changed.

Me February 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Yep, somebody was going against the light.

TraumaRx February 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Helmets seriously reduce injury and increases your chance of survival. Same goes for seatbelts.

Old Otis February 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Sam February 19, 2018 at 12:07 PM

So very, very sad. My prayers for all.

Concordejet February 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM

RIP for the cyclist

I am a serious safety concern when crossing the street. I always pay close attention. Even there no cars crossing on green light. I always always wait for the crosswalk sign to change. I see bicyclist riding their bike reckless not waiting for green light to change and just take a chance to cross on red light.

Serious? February 19, 2018 at 2:54 PM

All well and good, but we need to know WHY. It is not just human nature, but helps us change things in the future. Did the bicyclist go against the light? Did the truck? It was dark. Did the cyclist have on reflective clothing? Were the trucks lights on? We DO need to know these things. It can help prevent this in the future. Your way would have a us, oh, poor boy and move on….. where is the justice in that? Poor boy, but could it also be poor tuck driver? Maybe the driver is the real victim. Maybe this kid shot out in front of him and now the driver is traumatized for the rest of his life? So, is the boy the TRUE victim, or is the driver? Your comment is very short sighted.

L February 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Rest in peace young man.

Concord Mike February 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM

I believe most posters here have great compassion and sorrow for the loss of life. The questions about how it happened and how such accidents can be avoided in the future also deserve to be asked and answered.

Bishop Estates February 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM

@ Serious

Again, someone’s Son just died. You can find out all the details later, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a tragedy for all involved.

Prinzrob February 19, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Serious?: Yes it is important to know what happened, and to make changes based on that information to ensure no one else dies on our streets. The police will investigate and report their conclusions, so until then any guesses about what occurred are unhelpful speculation at best, and victim blaming at worst.

I am sure the driver involved is suffering greatly due to this incident. Any involvement in a persons death must be terrifying, even when not at fault. However, the person who lost their life is the victim, in this and in every fatal incident, regardless of their actions before the crash.

MommaToTwo February 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM

Do we know what school this boy attended ? So sad for his family. I have a 15 year old that rides his bike to Concord High and am always telling him to make sure his lights are on and his helmet is on too.

RIP young man….

Serious? February 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Of course people are sad about this! Can we not be sad and still ask the questions that need to be asked? Can we not be compassionate to the people involved in trying to find out what happened to prevent similar incidents in the future? In that vein of thought, a mass shooter is also a victim when killed? Yet we never call them that. Seems hypocritical. I am well aware that someone died. But, his family is not the one doing the investigation. So why does that matter? And no one is is blaming anyone yet, just speculating on both sides. I have seen NO ONE “victim” blaming. But, I have seen a lot of posts saying NOT to victim blame. Seems like no one was in the first place! So, because this was someone we don’t know, and they died, we cannot talk about it? And I doubt that his family would be reading a comment column. That would be the last thing I would be doing, had this been my relative. The easiest thing for people to do, if they think they might be offended by a comment column, is to not read it. You are free to, of course, but you cannot control what other people think or say.

Keep all three barrels up February 20, 2018 at 7:30 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I haven’t seen anyone blame anyone. Just lots of questions.

Kentucky Derby February 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM

I wasn’t there, but one of the two probably went against the light. It’s impossible for both of them to have the right of way. That’s not the way crosswalks work.

How can it be avoided? Well, you can not ride your bike in the dark. Or don’t go against the red light. And wear a helmet, which will reduce the chances of head trauma.

Concernicus February 20, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Drivers need to be extra vigilant at night, too. They’re operating a several thousand pound vehicle that has the ability to maim or kill somebody, and that’s not a responsibility that should be taken lightly. I’ve seen more than my fair share of distracted/inattentive drivers who’ve come within a hair of hitting somebody who had the right of way. It’s like they forgot that pedestrians and bicyclists exist.

PitstopPenny February 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM

I agree with you Baby Mac. No compassion left in people anymore.
Everyone is ready to point the finger or be “right”.
RIP. I wish comfort to his family and friends.

Pac Islander February 19, 2018 at 8:48 PM

I wish Concord PD would do more jaywalking and bicycle infraction stings downtown. It is getting really bad and the attitude of the jaywalkers is borderline violent.

The city council and our current mayor always said Oakland was their model city…They are getting it.

I feel bad for the driver and the kids family.

Donald February 19, 2018 at 8:56 PM

“Serious?” : Just google “safest pedestrian crossings” and there’s the answer to all of your scenarios. Go pitch it to the city. This is a local tragedy and the families do indeed read these comments. Don’t be so cold.

Serious? February 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM

Who is being cold? The only people being cold are ones like who who are trying to thwart community discussion because you say so. Everyone on this comment section is being compassionate to the VICTIMS of this tragedy. Unfortunately, there is also the crowd shouting at us and bullying us not to “victim blame” when no one is doing any such thing! It is like, for some reason, you don’t believe that someone could be compassionate while also finding out what happened. Very strange, this type of behavior.

Be gentle February 19, 2018 at 9:47 PM

I am so very sorry. Prayers for the family.

Anonamel February 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM

My worst nightmare. I am a vigilant driver but on more than one occasion I’ve had close calls pedestrians and cyclists at night. If you are one to walk or bike at night…even with reflective clothing and lights, we can’t see you as well as you think we can. Heartbreaking

Shiloh February 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Yes, exactly this

grandmato3 February 20, 2018 at 6:37 AM

My deep condolences to this boys family, this is a life changing tragedy for them. We can find out at another time what happened, this is not the place nor the time.

AnonZ February 20, 2018 at 8:17 AM

So sorry for this families loss.

I’m not saying this kid did this, but I almost hit a guy running across the middle of Clayton Road one day last week at 430am. He jumped out from the center median right in front of my car and luckily, he was running so he had just cleared my passenger fender as I went by. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DON’T WATCH FOR HEADLIGHTS AND WAIT UNTIL THEY GO BY INSTEAD OF JUMPING OUT AND RUNNING ACROSS 6 LANES OF TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF A CAR! DOH!!

Concernicus February 20, 2018 at 9:13 AM

Uh, it’s impatience, mostly. These are the same people who’ll approach a crosswalk at a busy intersection and not bother pressing the button to cross, and just walk out hoping the light won’t turn while they’re crossing.

WC resident February 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Perhaps you were driving much faster than the pedestrian expected and so it was likely closer than either of you would have liked. The pedestrian may have expected you to stop, as the law requires, rather than blowing through.

Shiloh February 20, 2018 at 4:49 PM

You think the pedestrian thought that a car would stop in the middle of Clayton Rd for a jaywalking runner they couldn’t even see?

WC resident February 20, 2018 at 8:09 PM

@Shiloh – There’s usually two sides to a story. The way AnonZ wrote it the pedestrian could easily have been walking in a crosswalk under a street light in plain view. He then ran out of the lane when he saw that AnonZ had no intention of stopping.

Mr White February 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Ban all bikes, write your congressman! Say no to the schwinn convention.

Silva February 20, 2018 at 8:33 PM

Synal M February 21, 2018 at 9:18 AM

To me it’s heart breaking no news covered this I mean it was a child at the end of the day as a parent of a teenager I just don’t know what I would do if I heard this news I would be devastated . Not only did I hear about this i was there when this happened no I didn’t see the crash I was coming out of pik n pac store and heard a Big Bang!!!!! I get in my car get to the light and see the aftermath I pulled over and called the police . And waited there until they came ! Rip little angel

Concerned February 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Most operators of vehicles are consentrating on the road and their surroundings. If someone jumps out or rides out between two vehicles it makes it difficult for the vehicle operator to see or have ample time to stop.Thoughts and prayers to both families!!

Joe Strickland February 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Cyclists and I mean all who are on two wheels need to be reminded that they are invisible day or night! I commute everyday on a bicycle and am constantly reminded of how invisible I am. Not the fault of any motorist! Just know that cyclists can’t be heard or seen.