Vehicle -vs- Bicyclist on Willow Pass Rd. at Fry Way in Concord

February 18, 2018 21:30 pm · 19 comments

A vehicle struck a bicyclist on Willow Pass Rd. at Fry Way in Concord on Sunday evening.

The collision occurred around 7 p.m.

A body appears to be covered up by a yellow tarp at the entrance to the Park & Shop shopping center on Willow Pass at Fry Way, according to witnesses and pictures from the scene.

A death hasn’t been confirmed by the Concord Police Department.

photo credit: Josh Cagle www.eyesaerialphotography.com

Annaye February 18, 2018 at 9:37 PM

That’s crazy 😩

Bonez February 18, 2018 at 9:48 PM

That’s to bad.
I drove by and saw them taking photos if the body and then loading it into the body bag so it appears they are deceased. RIP

Mika February 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM

Bike riders are always in a dangerous position when they ride in the street. Cars do not give them their right of way or look out for them. On the other and, bikers need to respects the laws as well.

I'm The Urban Spaceman February 18, 2018 at 11:49 PM

Since BART is nearby, Cyclists in this area need well lit streets, Bike Lanes and Lights…headlights & those flashing red lights from behind, anything that brings attention to Motorists.
My condolences to all involved.

Kira February 19, 2018 at 6:25 AM

Well, that’s massively disconcerting. That’s really close where I live.

D.V. Guy February 19, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Really sad to see, many local folks riding in that area don’t have reflective/safety gear when riding after dark.
I’m not saying this was the cause in the current riders death but, We ALL need to slow down and take a moment to look for the cyclist flying off the curb riding the wrong way in black clothes after dark. If we can do this, safely ridden bikes will be easy to spot and avoid. Be aware, look around please.

Agree February 19, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Coming home from work last Friday I saw exactly that; a woman riding a bike up a residential block, wearing dark clothes and absolutely no light on the bike, no reflective material, nothing. Thank gawd she was riding towards me but on the far left of the road.
This was on Kaski Lane about 40 feet before Cowell (she was heading toward Cowell, a very busy street during rush hour). This “intersection” (Kaski and Cowell) is very dangerous. Very dim lighting, you can barely see Kaski. There is a slight hill on Kaski, so you don’t see oncoming traffic. Cowell is curved, so again, you don’t see oncoming traffic until it’s really close. I’ve seen bad crashes here.
If you are on a bike, avoid this intersection, get lights AND reflectors on your bike, and please wear reflective clothes.
Same goes if you are out walking. And please put something on your dog too that is reflective. I leave home in the dark and come home in the dark; you cannot be seen easily.

Yves Harlowe February 19, 2018 at 9:42 AM

I’ve seen many cyclists at night without much in the way of lights OR reflective clothing. I’ve had one or two close calls, and saw them in time to hit the brakes. It’s terrifying.

Pedalin' Pinhead February 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM

@ D.V. Guy, Agree, and Yves Harlowe, I agree with all of you. I have that exact same experience driving on that stretch of Cowell Rd in the dark at rush hour. Actually ALL of Cowell Rd is pretty sketchy for bikes at night. And pedestrians, if you must walk on Cowell Rd, or the shoulder of ANY busy road without sidewalks, PLEASE walk opposing traffic. I know it sucks to have endless headlights in your face (I know, I do it all the time) but you’re going to need every split second to react if a car drifts out of the lane.
What kills me is that with modern LEDs and batteries you can get an incredibly visible, very tiny, and very long-lasting flashing red for almost no money. Sometimes they’re even given away free as swag. A headlight that actually throws light to see where your going is more, but there is no excuse to not have up to code illumination on a bike these days.

Starman February 19, 2018 at 9:08 AM

They enforce tickets for cars in this city but seldom do they enforce bicycle safety. The bicycles get to do what ever they please. There are ten times more tickets for cars then there are for bikes. Not a surprise when one gets hit. They also don’t Inforce the helmet laws the easiest one to Inforce. I saw 6 bike riders the other day at different places and not one had a helmet.

Starman February 19, 2018 at 9:16 AM

I will bet this rider had no helmet eather

anon February 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Not a surprise when one gets hit.

Concord Grape February 19, 2018 at 9:48 AM

 In California, anyone under the age of 18 must wear a helmet when riding a bicycle on a street, bikeway or public bicycle path or trail. This includes children who are sitting in restraining seats or are being towed in a trailer behind the bicycle. The law also requires anyone under 18 to wear a helmet when riding a scooter, skateboard or when using inline skates. Bidwell Park, Chico, and El Cerrito require all people, no matter what age, to wear helmets when riding a bicycle.

Cowellian February 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM

We were hit by a cyclist at that very intersection. We were on Fry Way, waiting to turn onto Willow Pass, when some idiot on a bike ran into us and went flying over our hood. Not only was he on the sidewalk, he was on the wrong side of the road. Luckily, he hit right at the wheel and didn’t damage the car. He got up, swore at us, and started walking his bike.

Serious? February 19, 2018 at 2:57 PM

This is why dash cams are so important. 90 out of 100 times it is the fault of the bike. But, they usually try to blame the car. Lucky for you he just walked off and swore instead of trying to wrongfully sue, in our sue happy state.

KathyB February 19, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Concord is the worst city to bike in. They have few bike lanes–some streets actually have the bike lane sign in the MIDDLE of the road because there are NO sidewalks or shoulders. I obey all traffic signs and have lights, reflective clothing, and I still get honked at at least once a ride by a motorist who resents having to share the road. I’m told by the City to”ride on the walkway,” Really? That’s the answer?

KathyB February 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Concord is the worst city to bike in. They have few bike lanes-some streets actually have the like lane sign in the MIDDLE of the road because there are NO sidewalks or shoulders . I obey all traffic signs and have lights, reflective clothing, and I still get honked at at least once a ride by a motorist who resents having to share the road. I’m told by the City to”ride on the walkway,” Really? That’s the answer?

bike vs truck February 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM

Hi Kathy I completely agree with your comments however this 16 year old teenage boy that was hit by a truck & was riding his bike in a crosswalk. Regardless if there are bike lanes or not there are crosswalks over there by Park & Shop. However the rule is for all bike people are to walk their bikes across the crosswalk which most of them dont, so depending on the situation this could be a 50 %at fault (bicyclist) & 51 automobile. It’s sad that this young man lost his life over this.

Be gentle February 19, 2018 at 9:45 PM

I NEVER RIDE ON CITY STREETS.