Man Apparently Steals ‘LimeBike’ in Concord, Attempts to Hide Logo (PHOTOS)

February 15, 2018 10:00 am · 58 comments

Earlier this week we reported on the new bicycle-sharing program called ‘LimeBike’, and today, it looks like we have our first stolen ‘LimeBike’.

This bike (same bike in both photos) was spotted in Concord on Wednesday.

The first picture came from Todd, who says the bike also had a security bit set in the basket.

The second photo came from Gary, who owns the MetroPCS store in Park & Shop on Willow Pass Rd. Gary says the guy who was riding the bike came in and tried to sell three stolen phones that were being tracked by their owner. The cops were called, but it’s unknown if the man was caught.

As you can tell, the person attempted to paint over the ‘LimeBike’ logo. The bikes do have GPS, and they also have a lock when your time’s up, so it appears the person found a way around the locking mechanism.

Thanks to Todd and Gary for the photos.

Rob February 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM

LOL – yeah – not sure that hiding the Logo was gonna fool anybody…

Blink February 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Great idea being foiled by ?????

Star Lord February 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Thieves like that should just have a bullet put in their head when they’re caught. Cheap and effective. They’re scum and have proven they can’t function as a part of a normal society.

AlwaysBePositive February 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM

wow…tough guy

ConcordMike February 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM

I agree. People would behave better.

Doesn't matter February 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM

And I’m thinking you need serious psychological help if that’s what you resort to.

cabbie February 17, 2018 at 12:41 AM

so like the death penalty for anything more than a parking ticket? sounds good to me

Cynical Scot February 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM

I mean… He’s not wrong…

OverWhelmed February 15, 2018 at 10:12 AM

And did you think they wouldn’t be stolen? Give me a break!

Suzanne February 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM

“I’ll just take this bright lime green and yellow bike and cover up the words. They’ll never figure out it was a Lime Bike”. duh.

Jeff February 15, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Meth is a hell of a drug

BART! February 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Why didn’t the cops come out if he is selling stolen cellphones? Maddening.

TheYellowRanger February 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Because petty theft / nonviolent criminals have an open season.

Jojo Potato February 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM

ROTFL – cut the lock off, not that hard. I’m keeping (an informal) log of where these things land. To help me out, please take more detail pictures of the rear brake and the GPS thing on the handlebars. Thanks!

WC resident February 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Where do you propose to keep the log? The same number is on the front handlebars, tag hanging off the seat, and at the top of the rear fender. I suspect the number is elsewhere but a picture of any of those spots will work.

2018-01-30 – 943-383 – Ygnacio Canal at Wiget Lane

2018-02-01 – 746-899 – Ygnacio Canal at Meander Drive

2018-02-04 – 281-010 – Ygnacio Canal at Walnut Ave. east of Naranja Drive

2018-02-08 – 539-893, 610-083, 943-899 (same bike as 2018-01-30) – Three bikes in the back parking lot of a building at Shadelands right next to the bridge over CC canal to the CC canal trail

2018-02-11 – No serial numbers as all photos were from a distance – Six bikes spotted. One bike next to the CC Canal immediate west of 680 freeway. It was parked in front of the Crossfit gym. The gym was closed at the time and so I assume the Lime people had dumped the bike there. Two bikes on the Ygnacio canal at Cherry lane. Two bikes in north end parking lot of Heather Farm park so that it’s near the CC canal trail. One bike on the Ygnacio canal at Arbolado Drive.

There are more from the 13th but I have not downloaded them from the camera yet. I had stopped taking pictures of the serial numbers as it seems there’s no value.

I chatted with a Limebike user riding in Heather Farm park. I did not know at the time that he had to pay by the 1/2 hour and so won’t do that again. He was from Seattle and so was already familiar with the bikes up there.

They have a $5 subscription per month program where you get 100 rides a month though I’ll need to look at the fine print to see if that’s 100 “rides” or “1/2 hour slots.” I don’t know if the program allows you to roll unused rides to the following month. If it’s per ride then that’s a sweet deal.

I’m wondering how long the bikes last given they are stored outdoors 24×7.

WC resident February 15, 2018 at 9:33 PM

More sightings for the informal log.

2018-02-13 – three bikes spotted though I only have the serial number of the last one.

Contra Costa Canal at Heather Farm baseball fields (north end of park)

Contra Costa Canal at Bancroft

Ygnacio Canal at Arbolado – 942-104

2018-02-15 eight bikes spotted
Contra Costa Canal at Crossfit – 856-200. This is the same bike that as on 2018-02-11.

Two bikes dumped in the grass next to the CC Canal at the southwest corner of YV high school. Both bikes were unlocked. I reported this to Limebike. 280-922 and 940-761

Two bikes on Arbolado Drive at the Ygnacio Canal. 942-104 and 852-835.

Three people riding limebikes on the CC Canal trail with one around Bancroft a couple at Oak Grove Rd. All of them were adults.

ProConcord February 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM

Sounds like you are more interested in tracking the bikes than the company – they already factored this into their business model.

Jojo Potato February 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Is it really stealing when a company dumps 500 bikes in WC? Why can’t he just grab one? I understand if you use your phone and get one then you are bound by their terms and conditions. But beyond that? I think they are fair game. Go for it!

Noj February 15, 2018 at 11:07 PM

Wow. Great logic. Got kids?

NuMerica February 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Wasn’t the attempt at this service proven to be a failure when in Asia all of the bikes were stolen?

RESEARCH before releasing failing services

AlwaysBePositive February 15, 2018 at 11:42 AM

uuhh, this is how capitalism works…

Reality says... February 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM
RANDOM TASK February 15, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Yet another dem proponent program that shows just who they are for and who they are being abused by

Ahhhh now how about a free sharing program for shopping carts right
Yet another example of dem socialist mentality
These systems may work in small countries or European countries where they are smaller and less freedoms and ruled
Here in America if you leave it out someone will take it
If you offer up free so one will abuse it
If you offer it up at all someone corrupts it and uses it for political gain

Simple answer work for what you want and stop expecting a gov to coddle your arse for life ….yet now we have the “oh I am for everyone “ people who want to give away everything because they want a free for everyone world

Does not work when people have freedom ask brave heart
Freedom will put do socialism every time because socialist are lacking one part they refuse to acknowledge ….When you make people not responsible for their own actions you create unrest and crime and a poor me mentality that evolves until you get complete unrest and lawlessness

MattfromConcord February 15, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Yikes. You took that a bit too far buddy.

AlwaysBePositive February 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM

rt…your desire to place everything in a political context is not only boring, in this case you are wrong…

Lime Bike is a business, not a program.

The Professor February 15, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Your comment is a biiiiiiiiit of a stretch, RT.
Not everything is political or a conspiracy.

Jeff February 15, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Yeah again right states wouldn’t have such a program. I suppose a right state with a large college campus might. You need to be able to think in order to have this kind of service.

PC February 15, 2018 at 11:21 AM

The criminal element is always with us. How we deal with them makes the difference. Inaction will only lead to more problems.

TIFOKCIS February 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Riding a bicycle is not for everyone and anyone capable of navigating the rental process doesn’t belong on a bike.

I think someone dumb enough to steal one of these dumb bikes is classic irony!

MattfromConcord February 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM

If these crooks can figure out how to disable the locking wheel on a shopingcart they can disable the locking device and gps on a ugly bicycle.

Anon February 15, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Always an A-hole out there ruining it for everyone else.

Mr. John February 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM

I’ll be curious what the response is when these bikes start getting tossed into traffic, off bridges, into canals, etc… I’ll also be shocked if there is not widespread theft of these bikes in the next 12 months once someone posts up the way to disable the GPS and locks.

Eudamonia February 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Imagine if we gave everyone a bike. The possibilities are endless!

T. Payne February 15, 2018 at 3:16 PM

More annoying people in my way while I’m driving. Yeah….

Cellophane February 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM

When has stealing ever been deemed an acceptable behavior?

Only here in the land of the left.

Some of the commenters here should be ashamed of themselves.

Jeff February 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Where in right states do they have programs like this? They don’t. That’s why there so bored and so easily manipulated

The Mamba February 15, 2018 at 1:53 PM

That paint job to cover it up is all time, how did the store employee know???

The Professor February 15, 2018 at 2:10 PM

It might be an honest mistake. The suspect is color blind and thought he was riding his grey bicycle.

Cbrisr February 15, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Someone should have just ridden off with the stolen bike, haha…

Potato Head February 15, 2018 at 10:01 PM

Anyone who thinks like you is a suspect. Claycord: give the PD this clown’s IP address so they can track him down.

Mimi (original) February 15, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Saw my first LIME BIKE last night outside the Safeway on Patterson in Pleasant Hill. I wonder if this will really catch on?

Lambie February 15, 2018 at 7:38 PM

What happens when you ride to pick to go grocery shopping, then someone else rides it away before you finish shopping?

Kenji February 15, 2018 at 8:46 PM

The idea of dockless bike share is to saturate the area with so many bikes that you’re sure to find another one.

chuckie the troll February 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Who could have foreseen this…except pretty much everyone who visits this site? Of course those bikes are going to be stolen. And of course people who steal them will commit other crimes. And of course they will spend no time in jail.

Kirkwood February 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM

I noticed only half as many LimeBikes around Shadelands today as last week. There was one at a door at Kaiser (SL) and 4 at the same door today.

Jeff February 15, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I saw 7 kids riding them yesterday right by yv

Kirkwood February 16, 2018 at 11:09 AM

According to the sign on the bike, the first ride is free.

NoMoreFreeRide February 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM

Look at Monument I saw the same kid riding in different locations. There obviously a way around the lock. Nice experiment but wrong location.

Playhard February 15, 2018 at 7:00 PM

Such a great idea having a bike share in the area, but to bad this is the world we live in.

J. February 15, 2018 at 9:44 PM

The ride is ended when you set the lock. If you do not set the lock, anybody can ride it on your dime.

Potato Head February 15, 2018 at 9:57 PM

I believe I saw this bike on the Heather Farms section of the canal trail system yesterday. Abandoned.. Maybe at Oak Grove.

Jojo Potato February 15, 2018 at 10:03 PM

“security bit set in the basket”. Oh! I finally get it. You mean like driver bits used to circumvent bolts/screws with security features to make them hard to remove. Like torx head with a post in the middle. Looks a lot like the set selling at Harbor Freight for about $7. You can judge a man by his tools. This guys a real go getter!

Voice of reason February 16, 2018 at 12:33 AM

It’s only a matter of time…we can start our own Facebook page on putting the lime light on the lime bike. Photos of all our lime bike finds…

Citizen February 16, 2018 at 12:34 AM

Such a dumb move! Idiots just have to try to ruin a neat system!
So predictable!

Laughingtothebank February 17, 2018 at 8:10 AM

What a nightmare!

Local but not a local February 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM

I feel like whoever set this up really wanted to believe in humanity.

Jojo Potato February 19, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, they believe in the monetary value of tracking humanity. That’s the beauty of this system, exact end to end tracking of every trip. That’s worth money to the company when they sell the data. Remember, on the internet, you are the product.

WC resident February 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM

I’m wondering if Limebike has repositioned their bikes. They are no longer being left along the canal trails. I have seen two bikes that were ridden into residential neighborhoods and parked on the grass/median in front of homes. Another was left on the CC canal trail but about 1200 feet from the nearest street. It seemed like an odd place to stop. Still another was taken to Target WC’s bike rack in the lower parking lot. I was wondering if the GPS radio and/or cell signal works down under the building.

I have also spotted a fair number of bikes that were left unlocked. I guess people either don’t know they need to lock it to end a ride or don’t care that it costs $2 per hour. Maybe someone’s figured out how to get the lock to trip and remain unlocked.