Concord City Council to Consider Approving Contract for Body-Worn Cameras for Cops

February 12, 2018 16:00 pm · 25 comments

The Concord City Council on Tuesday will consider approving a $1,500,000 five-year contract with a company called ‘Axon’, who will provide body-worn cameras, in-car cameras, and the evidence.com storage solution to the Concord Police Department.

If approved, all sworn officers are expected to have body and dash-cams by September of 2018.

The council will also consider the approval of the expenditure of funds to Verizon Wireless in the amount of $56,216 for smart phones, cases, and chargers and the approval of the expenditure of funds to Verizon Wireless in the amount of $63,804 for an unlimited smart phone service plan.

TIFOKCIS February 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM

1.5 what?

Good Lord what a racket! In a prefect world cops would beat the crap out of perps and this certain prevents some actual justice.

Yeah fools, because the guy caught in the act isn’t guilty.

Star Lord February 12, 2018 at 6:50 PM

I’ve been pulled out of a store by the police before because I looked like someone they were looking for. They also detained me until they had their witness come by to see if I was the person they were looking for. I wasn’t. The cops aren’t always right.

I do not trust the police.

Cranky Taco February 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM

Did CPD just hit the lottery!?!
How can a concerned citizen get a voice in this city!

Xennial February 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM

“How can a concerned citizen get a voice in this city!”

As the article says: “The Concord City Council on Tuesday will consider approving ..”
Show up Tuesday 13 February at 6pm at city council chambers and speak, or write to the city council, or call, etc.

rich February 12, 2018 at 4:15 PM

What took so long. The officers need the protection.

Original G February 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Were specifications for these services put out to bid ?
If so how many bids were submitted ?

CSS February 12, 2018 at 4:29 PM

More taxes coming, thankfully we’re leaving California.

Mariner February 12, 2018 at 4:38 PM

No cameras! I’d rather see caught in the act thieves get beat up a bit with no cameras around.

Thatguy February 12, 2018 at 5:20 PM

I am happy to hear this. It will help our officers do their job. Hopefully it will lead to less time spent doing internal affair investigations, and maybe, just maybe, lead to more prosectuions.

Frank February 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM

$1.5 MILLION??? Holy crap! Concord must be doing VERY well, financially!

Serious? February 13, 2018 at 7:03 AM

Some of us are, but yet we still cannot keep up with all the freeloaders voting to take our money for themselves.

Local but not a local February 12, 2018 at 5:37 PM

I’m down for this. Promotes responsibility and awareness – no hearsay necessary.

Atticus Thraxx February 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM

As much as I admire and respect CPD, we pour one helluva alot of money into that department.
Fix the @&$#! roads!
#notme

Always Right February 13, 2018 at 9:10 PM

Agree. I just put a 4 camera system at my house purchased for $200 at Costco. Night vision, motion, full recording, remote viewing.

Dash cams with recording cost $100, and smaller wearable cameras with voice recording? Maybe $100. How does this morph into 1.5 million dollars?

Crazy.

Pony February 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Whoa. Just think once they are going to do with all that tax money if they ever open pot shops in this one horse town

mike February 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM

I could do that contract for several hundred thousand less. I’m not sure if they only contacted 1 company, but they should try some local mobile electronics experts for comparison. I would be happy to provide a quote…….

ZChicken Little February 13, 2018 at 4:04 AM

Axon is the industry standard in body cameras. Why spend almost as much on cheap Chinese knockoffs that don’t have nearly the same quality or support?

Hugh February 12, 2018 at 8:56 PM

Yeah no thanks. I trust cops to do their job. The only winner is the camera vendor.

Ahh isn't that how it's supposed to work? February 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM

@ Peter Quill

Let me get this straight. The police detained you because you look like the person they are looking for – doing their jobs. They do an infield show-up and when the Wit says nope, not him and they let you go – doing their jobs. Where is the problem?

How were the police to know you were NOT the person they were looking for without bringing the witness by?

FBR February 12, 2018 at 11:30 PM

How about we just hardwire the crooks with cameras instead?

TrentM February 13, 2018 at 1:11 AM

1.5 million is nothing compared to wrongful death lawsuit. Body cams have been shown to reduce complaints

Concord Res February 13, 2018 at 6:25 AM

Just think if you had to ware a camera for your job? My hope is this gets more guilt verdicts and helps protect the officers. If it does it was well worth the money.

Oracle February 13, 2018 at 8:28 AM

I hope this helps. I also hope that this protects both citizens and the officers. Lets keep everyone honest as much as we can.

Ricardo February 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM

I want to apply for the job of reviewing the tapes.

JustSayin2 February 13, 2018 at 8:33 PM

No cameras needed . Too much money get another bid. The money should be used to hire more officers and new vehicles.