The Water Cooler – Should Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish Mascot Be Replaced?

February 9, 2018 12:00 pm · 78 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Some are saying Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish mascot is offensive, and should be replaced with another mascot.

QUESTION: Do you this the Fighting Irish mascot is offensive, or do you think it’s fine, even if a few people appear to be offended?

Talk about it….

Kentucky Derby February 9, 2018 at 12:07 PM

I’m Irish, and this isn’t offensive at all. People really need to thicken their skin, and not get so upset over the pettiest things. Notre Dame always has and always will be the “Fighting Irish.”

Reality says... February 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM

+1!

Same February 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Absolutely. I would recommend the Notre Dame Steamed Vegetables but my kids find that offensive so we might be stuck at an impasse here.

Yves harlowe February 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM

There will always be people offended by everything. Why cater to them?

Eric February 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Literally anything can be offensive these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if I woke up tomorrow to see people calling for McDonald’s to retire their mascot because Ronald McDonald is offensive towards the clown community.

chuckie the troll February 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM

I’m offended that people are offended. After problems like state and national government deficits, traffic congestion, drug abuse, and stray cats are solved…then we can worry about mascots!

Lucy February 9, 2018 at 12:36 PM

It’s only racist in the eyes of a racist

Dee February 9, 2018 at 12:54 PM

True I find the ones that yell racist is most are the biggest ones out there

Jojo Potato February 9, 2018 at 12:39 PM

Some are saying lots of things. Is that a reason to make a change like this? NO. As my Irish – American son in law says, just let us enjoy life, stop trying to make us something else.

The Mamba February 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM

I’m part Irish and I’ll be fine with it for a small annual fee based on merchandise sales and the right to call myself a victim in perpetuity, since that’s america’s most valuable currency these days.

chuckie the troll February 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Sorry. In order for you to remain a victim, I had to confiscate all proceeds from those sales.

Anon February 9, 2018 at 6:28 PM

^ Good one, Chuckie! Hahaha

ME February 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Sure and all mascots should be along the lines of butterflies and rainbows. The world is a sorry place these days. Man up people.

ME February 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Oh wait, saying “Man up” is now offensive too. But so would be “woman up” so no one can say, celebrate, or draw anything.

unclebrad February 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM

“Person up”?

T-Rex February 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM

“Person up” is offensive too. Because I associate as a lamp. Stop the assumptions. Gah! Haha

chuckie the troll February 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Even Mimes are feeling the pressure to conform.

Googlar February 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Some people who identify as An Expansive Ornate Building or other such silly things (It’s real, websearch it) may object to that. Perhaps “Self up”, but some identify as other-self. I think Man up is just fine, and if they don’t like it they can write about it on their tumblr.

Dee February 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Nope There is always going to be somebody “offended” by something and this going around changing stuff just because a few are offended by stuff that has been around longer than they have is just a bunch of BS.

THE ANIMAL February 9, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Not offensive, people are to damn PC these days…………..

Oracle February 13, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Definitely agree. Its pathetic.

Publius February 9, 2018 at 1:07 PM

I am part Irish and I think we should change it to the Perpetually Offended Snowflakes – That would take care of every contingency

Dawg February 9, 2018 at 1:10 PM

Why is it offensive? It’s a true statement, the Irish will fight for what they believe in. That’s why a lot of Irish immigrants became police officers in the late 19th and early 20th Century.

Bishop Estates February 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM

This is getting so ridiculous……

Barbie February 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM

No, I’m Irish. We aren’t offended by anything, cause were not wussies! Hence the name…Fighting Irish.

Pyrrhus February 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM

I’m not Irish and I don’t know the history of discrimination of the Irish in America, so I can’t say. However, from what I’ve heard from people of Irish descent is that the Fighting Irish is a point of pride. I know of the stereotypes, but don’t know the history behind it. However, I will say that The Fighting Irish is a lot different then say the Redskins. Calling a Native American a Redskin is more like calling an Irish person a Mic. Both are terribly offensive and racist and should not be used.

Dawg February 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM

I’m Irish and I’m not offended by mic, I’m also half Italian and I’m not offended by dago or wop either.

RSD February 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Pyrrhus, you are the problem. Who are you to judge that using Redskin or Mic are “terribly offensive and racist” People like you need to stop equating things you don’t agree with as racist. It’s pathetic

The Professor February 9, 2018 at 1:41 PM

“Fightin’ Irish” sounds more menacing then “Pasty Skinned Ginger”.
At least my Irish (red headed) wife thinks so.

elviss February 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Something other than a cartoon depiction would be acceptable.

Crankytaco February 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Wait a sec, I am offended. Not sure why. Life is just so unfair. Can I have some money now to make me feel better?

McBabe February 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Ummmm no.. people need to loosen up a little

Elwood February 9, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Oh, please!

What’s next?

PETA objects to animal names (Lions, Tigers etc.)?

And how about them Warriors glorifying war?

chuckie the troll February 9, 2018 at 2:39 PM

If PETA had their way, corn dogs would be made out of corn. Maybe Medical Marijuana should be given out for free. People need to lighten up and chill.

O' Cowellian February 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM

I’m Irishish!
Let’s have a beer.
Then we’ll fight.
And then we’ll have another beer.

Bipitybobityboo February 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM

YES IF YOU’RE A CRY BABY SENSITIVE SOCOALIST LIBERAL RAT. NO IF YOU’RE ANYTHING ELSE

THE ANIMAL February 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM

I AGREE ……………………..

The Man February 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Notre Dame Snow Flakes sounds good to me.

old-school guy February 9, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Then they wouldn’t be the Fighting Irish. They’d be known as the push-over Irish.

idiots everywhere February 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Now that they admit women Fightin’ Joan d’Arc’s may be more appropriate given their French name.

STANDER February 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM

I have a feeling all of these liberally correct whiners all got trophies when they didn’t earn them.

djm February 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM

people need to relax. worry about something important. i mean really how can that mascot be offencive?

Michael Langley February 9, 2018 at 2:26 PM

I am amused by the immediate name-calling that some of the commentators used as their go to reactions. Did they know who or what prompted the question? It appears to be a throw away line, recently, by an ESPN “personality.”
Previously known as the Notre Dame Catholics, then the Notre Dame Ramblers, the Fighting Irish question was addressed by the University in a 2014 article published in the Scholastic. Before blowing a gasket pro or con the moniker, I suggest one read the following article: https://scholastic.nd.edu/issues/is-fighting-irish-offensive/

chuckie the troll February 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM

This crowd has plenty of spare gaskets, believe me. You need them to live in California.

Dawg February 9, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Take a chill pill and let people have their fun.

Michael February 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM

The only people talking about this are people who want it to be a thing to complain about.

Tommy Trojan February 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM

ABSOLUTELY! I also find their little effeminate Leprechaun that runs all over the place offensive to little people of the world. Get rid of them both.

SF oh February 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM

No – leave it as is. I feel I have a legitimate voice in this as I am an American whose ancestors came from Ireland. However, I am not
offended at all by the Notre Dame symbol. Probably because I am not a wimpy fool who is constantly in a state of outrage over something ridiculous or offended by something as insignificant as a cartoon character.

Chris Campos February 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM

Being a grad of Boston College, I inherently HATE that mascot although it has nothing to do with racism.

Mariner February 9, 2018 at 3:52 PM

I’m white and not offended by any of the silly crybabies spouting off about being offended by everything this century.

Joatmeal February 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Doesn’t bother me. The Lucky Charms commercials, now that’s a different story.

Pony February 9, 2018 at 4:44 PM

I find Touchdown Jesus much more offensive than a fighting Irishman.

Minkman February 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Definitely very offensive. Almost as bad as the crimson tide, the Miami hurricanes and the Tennessee volunteers.

sideline February 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM

What the heck is happening to this country?
Everybody is offended with everything and by anything. Get a grip America. Grow some balls.

Oracle February 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Potato Head February 9, 2018 at 5:51 PM

My grandparents came from southern Greece and I find the use of the word “Spartan” highly offensive! I could change my mind if the price was right, for I am a true American right wing pig!

John Wick February 9, 2018 at 6:47 PM

WTH is wrong with society today? So damn tired of everyone getting bent of over the smallest of things.

Mika February 9, 2018 at 7:12 PM

People who get offended offend me. Actually, they piss me off.

Retired Atty February 9, 2018 at 7:14 PM

One of my closest friends is very very liberal; marched in the million woman march, and embraces the me-too movement. She is Irish with an O’ last name. She also went to Notre Dame. When I told her about this issue, she just hung her head and whispered “this is ridiculous.” If even she objects to a change…leave it alone.

Serious? February 10, 2018 at 4:17 PM

That says something, because the Me Too movement is ridiculous. I am surprised that if she subscribes to that, that she finds ANYTHING ridiculous!

Vasquez February 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM

I’m Irish and the mascot reflects the grit and determination of the Irish culture. Leave the mascot the H alone. He’s perfect as he stands.

D.V. Guy February 9, 2018 at 7:42 PM

Hey guys, white people don’t get to whine……if you want to see a real minority the Irish are it, blonde or red hair with blue eyes is rare world wide.

I do have an Irish joke!…….There’s these two Paddy’s leaving the pub………….
……really…it could happen!!

America February 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Get a life snowflakes!!!

EastBayJen February 9, 2018 at 7:58 PM

Will it never end?? Once we replace every “human” offensive thing, they Will be on the animals since we kill them for food. Pretty soon it will be bad to eat meat. Why do people want to control everything? Revolutions bring great things, but going through them is HORRIBLE!

michele white February 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM

Dawg, I’m with you! Grew up in the “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me” era. I’m mic, frog and limey. I enjoy jokes about different cultures–it takes a keen sense of humor. A lot of dull whiners out there these days.

Oracle February 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM

I agree with you.

Tim February 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM

Absolutely not. I have it tattooed on my arm. Proud of my heritage and love Notre Dame

greg February 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM

I’m Irish and I think some people need to put their mind to constructive things other than tearing tradition down. Get a life. Thicken the skin

Mariner February 10, 2018 at 12:35 PM

I’m Irish and I could care less about my heritage.
I think people are crazy that make so much hoopla about their heritage no matter what it is.

Serious? February 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM

Especially if they escaping the land of their heritage for better prospects. Why hang on to that culture when it never got you what you wanted in the first place!?

CalOldBlue February 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM

Really people? One bonehead on ESPN over a week ago speculates some people may be offended by the mascot… nobody else has advocated changing the mascot, except Fox News decides to throw one of their hissy fits about political correctness run wild… and now it’s a Thing. It is NOT a Thing. It has NEVER BEEN a Thing, except in the minds of people who want to get worked up over political correctness. There is no movement to do this, other than that one idiot on ESPN trying to draw attention to himself and his network. Fox, the right wing echo chamber, and all of us bought into it, because why waste an opportunity for a little outrage, right?. We really really really need to take it down a notch and not get all bothered every time Fox thinks we should be bothered about something. The only snowflakes in THIS room are people losing their stuff over a nothingburger.

Cowellian February 10, 2018 at 2:29 PM

Nice rant, but you didn’t answer the question.

CalOldBlue February 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM

OK; so I AM of Irish descent, and I can see that it is a cartoonish caricature, but quite frankly personally I don’t care if it stays or goes. Now try to touch Oski and there will be hell to pay.

Serious? February 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM

You missed the point. This is merely to point out how crazy the PC movement has been and to pontificate on where it might stop. I see this as kind of in jest, because why would there ever be a problem? The answer is THERE WOULD NOT.Normal white people don’t get up in arms about things like this. That is the point.

Irish And Proud February 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM

The Irish strong and not offended by petty issues. Go Fighting Irish!!!

jjshawk February 11, 2018 at 12:49 AM

Please….., stop with all the P. C. Bull$__t! Leave the Fighting Irish, Redskins, and whatever athletic teams with controversial names alone. I have Irish and Native American ancestry, and have a hard time finding racism in either team’s name. Maybe, Notre Dame, should replace the “Fighting Irish” mascot, with Conor McGregor’s face, who is, in fact, a true real-life Irish fighting champion! Lighten up America!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Y’all cross your legs, hold your noses and fart! you could clear out your minds” [Mario Van Peebles as, Stitch Jones, Heartbreak Ridge (1986)].

dinkydau February 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM

What about tall people who have a gene problem are angry because of the name of the football team NY Giants. They need to change the name. I am not all but I get offended

Oracle February 12, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Personal opinion: I think its funny/sort of adorable. People are offended by everything these days. I say to not cater to the “pc police” and just ignore them. The problem will only get worse if these people are catered to.