Public Urged to Get Flu Shots as Virus Spreads in Bay Area

January 20, 2018 10:00 am · 43 comments

As the flu spreads in the Bay Area, health officials are urging the public to get flu shots and take other precautions to avoid catching or spreading the flu.

The best way to ward off the flu is by getting vaccinated, according to the California Department of Public Health. Health officials say that even if a person does get the flu after having the shot, the severity
and duration of the illness is significantly reduced.

Other basic steps people can take include washing hands often, avoiding close contact with sick people and avoiding touching their eyes, nose or mouth.

Those who do get sick are advised to limit contact with others as much as possible, and to stay home from work for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone except to get medical care or other necessities.

Pregnant women, people age 65 or older, people with medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease and children younger than five – and especially those younger than two – are at high risk for
serious flu complications that can lead to hospitalization and even death, the health department said.

To late for me January 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Got my flu shot in November, got the flu 2 weeks ago. Wrong flavor of shot I guess.All better now.

Ano January 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM

The flu going around isn’t even one of the strains in the vaccine. Pregnant women please don’t get the flu shot . They have done zero research on the effects of a fetus. Doctors just push it so please do your research first. I get all other vaccines but just not the flu shot.

Marmalade January 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM

Just don’t go get the flu shot from all the pushing of media to do so. Use your own intel and pro and cons of the shot whether to get it. I don’t trust any doctor telling me to go get it, the flu going around the shot don’t even prevent, and when they tell you when you get the flu it won’t be as bad which is rubbish cause they don’t know that with so many variables.

Just toss a coin on the shot. It really don’t matter but for me I’m not shooting that crap into my body.

Silva January 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM

I did. I always do since my kid started bringing everything in the world home from school. I won’t go without it. It helps me. Even if this horrible flu going around isn’t addressed by the vaccine this year, I don’t want ANY of them.

Serious? January 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM

No, the best way to protect against the flu is to lock yourself up in your house for half a year. But, barring that, then washing your hands often and getting the shot.

Common sense January 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Yeah don’t pay $20 for the flu shot and spend $20,000 being hospitalized from the flu instead. Vaccines are out to get us!!

Marmalade January 20, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I’ve heard rumors around the CDC that the really bad strain of flu this year is made even worse with this year’s flu shot reacting with it. Hmmm think about it. I think a good number of all the people that have died this go round had the flu shot. Think about it…yea do that.

Clayton Squirrel January 21, 2018 at 10:36 PM

Doctors say that getting the flu shot lessens your chance of dying or being hospitalized even if you do contract the flu. The CDC has good information on their official website.

Kaiser offers the flu shot for free for their members. My Stanford and Kaiser doctors insist that I get it.

Mighty Quinn January 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Thursday 1/25, 3-6pm – MDUSD Adult Ed’s Health Fair offers FREE flu shots: http://mdae.mdusd.org/

Yves harlowe January 20, 2018 at 12:23 PM

What’s crap about a flu shot? Is it any more crap, than, say. whooping cough and tetanus vaccines? Smallpox? Polio? I grew up when parents were so thankful these vaccines were developed. They saved lives. Influenza kills a lot of people, too. I get it every year. Having had a few bouts of flu in the past when I didn’t get the vaccine, I prefer not getting the flu. I was really ill, and flu lasts longer than a cold. Now that I’m older, I really don’t want the flu, as deaths are higher among older people, as well the very young. Why take the risk?

Why? January 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM

I’d like to know why every one of my friends, who got the flu shot, have become deathly ill from the Flu.

Marmalade January 20, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Exactly, and the ones who didn’t get the shot and got the flu it wasn’t too bad vs the really bad cases.
As long as it’s still my choice (and if it wasn’t I probably still wouldn’t), I’m not getting it.

Yves harlowe January 20, 2018 at 12:55 PM

You can’t the flu from the vaccine. If you do get flu, it’s because you were already exposed, or got a strain that wasn’t covered by the vaccine. Neither my husband nor I have gotten flu in the years we got the shots. Last year, I got the vaccine, my husband didn’t he got really sick with the flu, and I was fine. So we both will continue getting them.

concord grape January 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM

You swing from your tree, I’ll swing from mine

Tallmelis January 20, 2018 at 2:04 PM

Why? It’s only 20-30% effective this year. We’d rather take our chances than inject something that won’t necessarily work anyways. I’m all for other vaccines that actually prevent the disease but the flu shot doesn’t prevent the sickness like other vaccines especially this years. Practice good and frequent hand washing and your chances lessen a lot.

Um no January 20, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Dwindling off? Ha! Flu season can (and probably will this year) go well into March! Walk into any ER and you will see it’s not “dwindling off”.

Jerk January 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Per my friend who works as a Nurse at a medical center – they are promoting the flu shot year round.
She called it a scam.

Guy January 20, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Flu vaccines are made with Mercury. No thanks

Joatmeal January 20, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Y’all sound like my friends in the ’70’s who said your chance of injury was worse when wearing a seatbelt. Your opinions don’t support the science.

Concord Girl January 20, 2018 at 3:36 PM

The one time I got the flu shot I got the flu. Haven’t had the flu shot in 18 years and I haven’t gotten the flu since then. So…no thanks!

missy January 21, 2018 at 5:40 AM

This is the kind of irrefutable evidence we should all listen to.

WC resident January 21, 2018 at 10:37 PM

The one time Concord Girl got a flu shot she caught the flu but nobody else did. For the past 18 years everyone else has been catching the flu. Concord Girl should be getting regular flu shots.

hill January 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM

if big pharma says you need to take their shots its best to not question it. They are just looking out for your best interests.

America January 21, 2018 at 8:06 PM

I truly hope you are being sarcastic.

Sam January 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM

This years flu shot wasn’t a match to the flu virus going around. It’s a guessing game the CDC runs every year. They do the best they can and it’s the publics choice to either get the shot or not. Stay healthy America.

Anonymous January 20, 2018 at 4:14 PM

It’s ok if you don’t get a flu shot ,but it’s not ok to spread lies, unsubstantiated claims and straight lies. Instead please just let people make up their own minds and don’t risk having a death on your conscious. Have a great day Claycordians stay well and wash wash wash your hands.Flu shot recipient.

Cellophane January 20, 2018 at 4:40 PM

LIstening to people from around the country and the prospect that this flu is airborne, I’m going complete nerd and wearing a mask whenever I go out of the house.

I may look funny, I don’t care.

I wouldn’t wish this flu on (almost) anyone.

Wow January 20, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Some people sound like Bunch of idiots on here. If everyone got the flu shot we would not be having this issue.

TIFOKCIS January 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Well into 5 decades here in the Bay Area of Planet California and I’ve never had the flu.

So by your logic I am one of the idiots.

Captain Bebops January 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM

If everyone got the flu shot people would still get the flu. Big Pharma loves ya though and your gift basket should arrive soon! 😀

DONK January 20, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Im sorry but DO NOT GET THE FLU SHOT!!! DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MEDIA TELLING YOU WHAT THEY SAY YOU NEED IN YOUR BODY!!!

Yves harlowe January 20, 2018 at 9:10 PM

I don’t listen to the media. I got the shot because I’ve had the flu in the past.

Yep, it's me. January 20, 2018 at 10:31 PM

Just as big of an issue is people who are coming down with the flu or in the depths of sickness NOT STAYING HOME! Spare people your germs and quarantine yourself, wear masks, use precautions if you must go out for the doctor! No reason to be irresponsible and make others sick. Think people…..think! Kinda sick of stupid people.
I have a compromised immune system, get the flu shot knowing it’s hit and miss, and take ultra protective precautions……. Just wishing others would too.

hehaseesaw January 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM

yeah no kidding its always some clueless young parents with little brats coughing in the store playing next to you… its like get your lil booger rat away from me. Then they are like how dare you that lil booger rat is my little miracle and I say no more of a miracle than eating and having a turd come out your ass – its a chemical reaction thats all !!! It’s not a miracle if every nine months any yin yang in the world can drop a litter of these mewling cabbages on our planet. And just in case you haven’t seen the single mom statistics lately, the miracle is spreading like wild-fire. “Hallelujah!” Trailer parks and council flats all over the world just filling up with little miracles. Thunk, thunk, thunk, like frogs laying eggs. “Thunk, look at all my little miracles, thunk, filling up my trailer like a sardine can. Thunk. You know what would be a real miracle, if I could remember your daddy’s name, aargh, thunk. I guess I’ll have to call you Lorry Driver Junior. Thunk. That’s all I remember about your daddy was his fuzzy little pot-belly riding on top of me shooting his caffeine ridden semen into my belly to produce my little water-headed miracle baby, urgh. There’s your brother, Pizza Delivery Boy Junior.

Silva January 22, 2018 at 12:19 AM

😁

B January 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM

The flu has an incubation period of 1 to 4 days and it is contagious during incubation, before the symptoms appear. You can be walking around infecting other people, being totally unaware you are about to get sick. Can’t win.

Jerk January 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Same goes for those vaccinated – they shed the virus for 3+ weeks.
St Judes Childrens Hospital will not allow anyone recently vaccinated in the NICU or Cancer recovery areas.

Clayton Squirrel January 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM

People who have been vaccinated for the flu are not contagious for the flu from the shot because it is a dead virus. Oncology nurses at Kaiser walk around the chemotherapy unit vaccinating chemo recipients and their friends right then and there because it is so important to protect the immunocompromised patients as much as possible. The live nasal vaccine is not used in the US because it was shown to be ineffective. Read the CDC website for more facts.

Yves harlowe January 22, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Clayton squirrel is right. Flu vaccines in this country don’t use live virus, so you don’t “shed virus” after getting vaccinated. You aren’t in any way contagious after getting vaccinated unless you are already infected with the flu or get infected right after getting the shot. It takes your immune system a period of time to build up immunity to the flu after receiving the vaccine.

Harvey Tilkin January 22, 2018 at 11:44 AM

The Flu

I was released from the hospital testerday after a bad case of the flu. Here is what I learned. Please do this for yourself. Get
familiar with the symptoms. If you feel they are getting worse don’t hesitate. They won’t get better without treatment. Call 911 and have an ambulance take you to emergency. Otherwise you’ll be waiting for hours along with several hundred other Flu suffers. If treatment starts immediately your chance of quick recovery are enhanced. This past week I started to feel a few symptoms. I was starting to lose strength and stamina. My bones started to ache. By Thursday afternoon there was no question. Called 911 and arrived at the Hospital And treatment started immediately. Within 4-5 hours I started to free better. By Friday morning everything bad was leaving and every good was returning. By Friday afternoon I was told I was being released tomorrow..Saturday. I was in the hospital from 6:15 Thursday until tomorrow about 3:pm. Amazing as to how sick I was when I came in. Several reasons for this very quick recovery are: I had a flu shot In October which strengthened my systems ability to fight off the virus. The amazing medical team at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek. Who knew just what to do and had the equipment to do it with.
And finally my own decision to get to the hospital quickly to start treatment. This is long I know,but I just had to share it. Flu is ugly but death is uglier.

Duchess of Martinez January 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM

H3N2 is the strain that’s causing all the uproar in the media. I’m under the impression this is a variant of a flu from swine and vice versa. When getting a flu shot just ask what strain you are getting and what strain is being seen in the community. According to this article the current vaccine may lessen your symptoms if you contract it.

Wash your hands and wipe down door knobs and anything hands and mouths typically touch (phones, cell phones, countertops etc) If you have kids, elderly or those with medical issues in your home or life than clean more often. Be mindful of those around you in crowded places with enclosed or recirculated ventilation (elevators, airplanes, grocery markets, trains, buses). Stay clear of those sneezing and coughing and clean things you touch – use those towelettes on carts, wipe down the table and area on your airplane etc

Jstlies1 January 23, 2018 at 1:49 AM

The last time I got the flu (around 1996 or so), I ended in the hospital with complications (previously unknown asthma, pneumonia & broncitis. Five days later I was home but unable to work for another week. I was previously healthy, 46 years old. I have gotten a flu shot every year since then and (knock on wood) haven’t had the flu. At my age I can’t handle being that sick and spend another week in a hospital. As for mercury, do some research. Fish has a worse type and more of it. You can also get a shot from a single dose vial without any preservatives.

Jerk January 23, 2018 at 5:49 PM

Huge difference between mercury injected vs consuming through the digestive system.

My Father in law was a religious flu shot recipient until the final one almost took His life – One month in the hospital with guillain-barré syndrome