Body Found at Newhall Park in Concord

January 19, 2018 13:15 pm · 59 comments

The body of an unidentified person was found at Newhall Park in Concord this morning.

Concord Police say the person committed suicide.

The person’s name will not be released.

If you feel you need help, please visit the Contra Costa Crisis Center webpage, call 1-800-273-8255, or text 741741 to chat with someone.

Potato Head January 19, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Sad. We’re dealing with the recent loss of a family member due to very advanced age, and that’s tough enough. A loss from a suicide has got to be way harder to accept.

KG January 19, 2018 at 1:26 PM

This is the peak suicide time of the year, right after the holidays. Check in with anyone you know is depressed or struggling with life.

Dave January 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Very sad. Thoughts are with the victim’s family and anyone out there struggling.

Lil ol' me January 19, 2018 at 1:35 PM

I’m sorry you felt that this was your only way out. I pray your family can heal. Rest peacefully

Clayton Black Glove January 19, 2018 at 1:54 PM

It’s so good to hear people care. God bless you

Buggrr January 19, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Yes it is. Thats all ppl should do.

Johnny January 19, 2018 at 2:07 PM

It was hard dealing with a friend of mine leaving eith questions during high school at Mt. Diablo High. My thoughts and prayers are with their family and friends.

#RiPDavidNguyen
(9.7.1989-4.12.2006)

Stoney January 19, 2018 at 7:11 PM

Rest In Peace.

ME January 19, 2018 at 2:16 PM

How sad. I can’t imagine the suffering someone must feel to be able to take their own life. I’ve known some people react with anger because of the pain the person causes friends and family, but the person who commits suicide is likely feeling 10x that pain in a way the rest of us can’t begin to understand. When I hear about these things, I always wish I could go give that person a good long hug–but you don’t know who that person is until its too late…

rw January 19, 2018 at 2:17 PM

What is it with this park and dead bodies???

Me January 21, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Right?!

Theresa January 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM

My sister in law took her own life right before Christmas. She was only 47.
I know personally how hard this is on a family. I pray for the family of this person. They were the child, grandchild, (friend, etc.) of someone. They were born and loved very much but somehow things went wrong. I pray for the family of this person during this time of loss. If you are depressed you only need to make one phone call to suicide prevention hotline.

Bishop Estates January 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM

I’m so sorry about your Sister, I cant imagine the loss you feel.

Shasta Daisy January 19, 2018 at 3:00 PM

A few years ago my nephew took his own life.
It has never been the same without him and it never will be.

Prayers to the family and friends.

Peace.

Dorothy January 19, 2018 at 6:51 PM

My step dad took his life in 2003. My brother in 2009. My granddaufhter in 2016. It is so hard when someone feels like they have no other way out.
The ones left behind are constantly asking themselves question like “what if I only…”
Help get the word out. Get training to help see the signs. NAMI is a great support. Help erase the stigma around mental health. I can say I am so happy that when I was suicidal that I did not follow through with my plan.

Cher January 20, 2018 at 12:01 AM

Dorothy, that is just too much for any one person to deal with. Your experience with this subject is so unusual and amazing. God bless your strength.

Concerned gma January 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM

I hear my grandson say quite often “I want to kill myself” and it irritates me. But instead of getting mad at him I try to just talk to him and tell him that I love him and that hurts me to hear him say that he’s not happy. I’m not sure what else I can do though. His Parents blew it off when I try to talk to them about it

Dawg January 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Call them, they can help you.

G January 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Concerned gma – maybe find out from him what really, really interests him and help him to get involved with that interest. Sports, animals, etc. Just a thought…

KAD January 19, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Below – G has a great idea. Please try it.

Brehbrah January 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM

That’s two bodies found down the street from me in the last few years. What’s happening to concord?! Even the nice areas suck now

Concernicus January 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Way to make it about you.

Consumer D January 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM

It’s the Human Condition. Concord is not immune from suicide or crime.

Marmalade January 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM

A lot of people believe the after life is much better than what they have currently.

Mimi (original) January 19, 2018 at 4:49 PM

This is heartbreaking news.

Dorothy January 19, 2018 at 6:51 PM

Sad that someone feels its their only way out of whatever brought them to this brink.

DawnN January 19, 2018 at 6:56 PM

Depression is tough. I suffer from depression. These last few months have been the hardest. I constantly think I just wish I could go to sleep and not wake up. I have reached out to hotlines, counselors, the county and I’m even medicated. It just seems hopeless. You just get to a point where you wonder yourself how will this end. The last couple days I’ve just been holding on as tight as I can praying to see a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel. I don’t even know how to fix me. People say shake it off. I wish it was that easy. I’m not a drug addict or have any kids. There’s not any resources out there for people in my situation. Sometimes we just need some guidance.

My thoughts and prayers are with the person and their loved ones. And I hope they can see past their hurt and know it was the only option that person felt they could be free.

Jeff January 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Hi Dawn. I wish you the very best of luck. I’ve been in your shoes. It’s hard when most people don’t understand what you’re going through. What really helped me other then Zoloft was eating healthier, excercise and a book by dr. Burns called the feel good handbook. Hang in there. It will get better.

Really ??? January 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Yes, DawnN., remember you’re not alone! So many people in your community, myself included, have felt what you are feeling. Please don’t give up hope and faith. I’m praying for you.

Cher January 20, 2018 at 12:07 AM

The commenters are so right Dawn. The struggle is real, and especially hard at your age. We have so many things going on in our bodies and minds that are chemical, don’t be hard on yourself for not being able to just automatically pick yourself up. But I found focus on music or books or just something you might enjoy. The winter months are hard on our psyche so maybe so time in the tanning booth, or special lighting. Also be sure to take vitamins. Not kidding. But improving the way you feel about yourself also comes from self improvement so just pick a thing and be sure to do it. HUGS.

Silva January 20, 2018 at 9:03 AM

Dawn, I only have to think of how hurt my grandson would be if I checked out. Before him, It was my mom that I could not do that too, It would’ve messed her up bad, but she’s gone now. I bet there’s someone you know who’s spirit would be forever crushed if you were to leave us. That person, or even someone else within your circle may not be able to go on either. I’m not trying to make you feel guilty, just offering some real reasons to hang on. I know it’s really rough. My father committed suicide in 1961, back when they didn’t have as much understanding of depression as now. If you have insurance and are able, maybe you can keep working with your doctor regarding adjusting your medication(s), and don’t give up till you’re better. You may have to share with him or her how awful you really feel, and keep working on it till you get a good result. This still could be a very fixable brain chemistry imbalance. Keep on reaching out. Tell your trusted people. A big strong hug to you.

Rozeanjel January 20, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Dawn N,
When some I loved committed suicide I felt like you did for some time. I was on meds and tried several other things including counseling. Those were temporarily slightly helpful but the thing that has helped the most is joining a church and learning the bible. It has been hands down the biggest change in my feelings and is stemming from my heart which makes it permanent change.
Most Christian churches have their sermons online these days. You can watch to see if you like their style and if the pastor is speaking truth which God says you’ll know when you hear it. Grace Bible Church in PH is wonderfully bible based but old fashioned for some. I love it. You are welcome to visit. Services are at 9 or 11:15. You can watch them online at graceforus.org. Please, please talk to people who know and love you or someone who can help you and let them know how you are feeling. I know it seems impossible to ever feel any better but it really is possible. I’ll be praying for you. God bless you. Lots of love, Dawn H

Rozeanjel January 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM

I should say “slightly” old fashioned as we are moving towards changing some with our vast youth members.
Dawn N, again Please ask God to guide you to where He wants you. Ask Him to show you He’s real. Put yourself around His people. He will show you His grace, mercy and love.

WC resident January 22, 2018 at 12:16 AM

The correct title for the book that Jeff mentioned is “The Feeling Good Handbook” by David D. Burns. I have not read that one but a look at Burn’s Wikipedia article shows that he’s influenced by and uses cognitive behavioral therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of those things that seems like a good idea. Another plus for it is that, unlike medications, there are few to no side affects.

Sam January 19, 2018 at 8:25 PM

So very, very heartbreaking. Prayers to them and their loved ones….Dawn, you are in my prayers. Please don’t give up. Keep searching, praying. Take Jeff’s advice. God bless you.

Ricardo January 19, 2018 at 8:47 PM

DawnN; PLEASE HANG ON. I’m not religious, but since you have been praying maybe talking to someone who preaches your faith. Having lost a child one learns the value of life. Please don’t throw it away. Keep trying and keep searching, someone will have the right answer for you. Someday you will look back and think how far off your thoughts became and hopefully just smile. I wish you all the luck in the world in your
serious struggle.

ming January 19, 2018 at 10:03 PM

Praying for the family of the deceased.
Rest in Peace.

Dawn, Jeff has some good advice. You’re doing the right thing by reaching out. Prayers are good.
I will pray for you. God bless you.

Dawn Nelson January 19, 2018 at 11:27 PM

Thank you all! Jeff I looked the book up and started reading it.

Publius January 20, 2018 at 12:12 AM

I had a friend who suffered from depression for a number of years and one day he went to Children’s Hospital with his brother to see his nephew. When he saw so many children who were struggling so hard to be just a little bit more normal and how they had such positive attitudes he literally fell to his knees and told God he was going to help those kids and he became a therapist.He said that after that day he seldom if ever had a depressive moment and if he did he would always think of the children he worked with.
Not all depression can be so easily relieved but sometimes it can me ameliorated by thinking of where we are in the great scheme of the cosmos.

DawnN January 20, 2018 at 3:02 AM

Publius thank you. I often think about that. That there’s always someone out there that is having a harder time than I am.

Thank you all again. Your words have helped.

Cecilia January 20, 2018 at 12:53 AM

This was my worst nightmare come true, that I would wake up to my family on the news in this park. You will be missed forever. RIP KJQ. We love you.

Rojo January 20, 2018 at 1:27 AM

Keep ya head up Cecilia my prayers go out to ya and the fam.

Really ??? January 20, 2018 at 3:21 AM

I am so sorry for you and your family’s loss, Cecilia. Sending love and prayers your way.

L January 22, 2018 at 2:44 PM

I’m so sorry Cecilia, he was a great person, I’ve known him about 17 years. My condolences to you and your family.

Sam January 20, 2018 at 6:17 AM

I am so very, very sorry for your loss Cecilia. I will pray for your loved one and you.

Ryan January 20, 2018 at 9:07 AM

Which area of the park?

ming January 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Hi Dawn,

The sun is shining today. I hope you’re able to enjoy it. Although it’s a little cold, only in the 50’s today, a little walk for just a few minutes even just out in your own yard can make you feel better.
Please make sure to dress warm.
As you can see, there are a lot of people out there who do care.
I wish you the very best! I also am a “huggy” person.
great big hug to you! Yes of course, I will keep praying.

Concernicus January 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM

I’ve been living with depression for about 20 years, now. It doesn’t get easier with time or, in my personal case, treatment. If any young people (Teens especially) are reading this, don’t take that to mean that you shouldn’t ask for help if you need it. Even if you don’t think it will help, it just might. If I could travel in time, I would go back to when it started and demand help. The best chance you have of getting out of it is to catch it early. Otherwise…it could really end up a lifelong condition. It doesn’t fix itself.

My sympathies to the loved ones of the deceased. May they recover and move on with expedience… I know I’d want that for mine.

B January 20, 2018 at 1:53 PM

RIP Ken

old school January 20, 2018 at 2:30 PM

in the “good ol 70sdays” when someone gets the courage to actually say they want to kill themselves people would invite them to do something,,, even if you don’t know them. They are lonely and need a friend. Everyone needs to actually be physically there for people you can say whatever in texts and its empty.dang electronics .so something we all can practice to talk with people when your our. chat in line, at the park. your conversation could mean a person could see a chance to live. it’s wonderful that y’all care I’m just saying lets try to put the phones down and communicate with one another. I do miss when concord was small, everyone knew everyone .people were kind and actually showed they cared.

B January 20, 2018 at 3:24 PM

I agree, in concept, but with so many homeless, drug addicted and schizophrenic people on the streets in Concord, if you engage a person, you might soon regret it. Nonetheless, if a person speaks to me, I look him in the eye and respond. Usually it is pleasant and I’m glad I did, but I’ve been approached by creepy people while waiting in line, pumping gas, walking to my car and it is unpleasant. These people are everywhere in Concord. Concord Ave. by the airport, up and down Clayton Rd., and especially downtown.

Wow January 21, 2018 at 1:46 AM

Drug addicts homeless and scizophrenic ? Ok.. what are you getting at b?

B January 21, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Figure it out, Wow. The poster has encouraged us to talk to strangers while we are in line or at the park. I’ve had bad experiences while walking my dog, being approached by drunk, drugged up and crazy people who ask for money or who want to chat while really drunk. They won’t go away. It isn’t a Mayberry type encounter. What are you getting at Wow?

L January 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM

He was not homeless, a drug addict or schizophrenic, he was a father, husband and friend, don’t assume what you know nothing about!!!!

B January 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM

I made no assumption about the dead man at all. I was responding to a post made by Old School. You assumed otherwise.

L January 22, 2018 at 10:53 PM

I apologize B, i just saw those words and didn’t pay attention to the rest. Once again, I’m sorry for not paying closer attention. I knew him for 17+ years and thought i was defending him.

Chicken Little January 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM

This is very sad news. My sincere condolences to those he left behind.

elviss January 21, 2018 at 7:01 PM

Condolences to the family. To those battling this sort of depression, I’m no expert, but taking a class in something new might be helpful. I suggest something new because depression generally makes you lose interest in things you previously liked to do. I think it is helpful to remember that most things in life are temporary and, if a situation is unbearable, it will likely change as everything eventually does … just like the seasons. “This too shall pass.”

Rock January 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM

I grew up with this guy and have known him over 30 years, he leaves behind a wife and a daughter. It’s sad to know he was struggling with depression and took his own life. He was one of the toughest guys I’ve ever known and he will be missed. RIP KJQ. A real ass dude from Solano Side. I hope his family finds some sort of peace in this tragedy.