Water Cooler – Your Favorite Breed of Dog

January 12, 2018 12:00 pm · 48 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What’s your favorite breed of dog, and why?

Talk about it….

Hugh January 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Doodles. Fo sho.

The Mamba January 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM

I like pugs and boston terriers, grew up with labs and they are great dogs too.

94521 January 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Doggie Dad January 12, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Border Collies, because they are so smart.

Antler January 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM

They actually do test out as the most intelligent breed in every scientific study I have seen!
We have never had one live with us, so I’m not sure how intolerable their high energy level might be in the home, however.

Be kind January 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM

WC Res January 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Cellophane January 12, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Dawg January 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM

Cats. Why? Because they don’t sniff your butt, they don’t drool all over you, they don’t hump your leg and they will automatically use a litter box without being trained. They are extremely low maintenance, you can go on a small vacation for 2 or 3 days and leave them home alone. As long as you leave them enough food, water and a clean litter box, they will be fine.
If I had to choose a dog, it would be a German Shepherd. Why? Because they are intelligent, loyal, protective and beautiful dogs. I’ve had a couple of German Shepherds in my lifetime and they were great animals.
I’m an animal lover, I like all animals, especially wild life, but I’m not too crazy about small yappy dogs, they are irritating and not as cute as their owners think they are.

Anon January 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM

All cats are bi-polar narcissists. No loyalty.

Concord Mike January 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Bichon Frise.

Great lapdog and great with little kids. Never bites. Never sheds. No BO.

15 lbs of cuteness.

Whitegirl fresh January 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Pitt-bulls!!! A dog is only smart as it’s owner!

Cowellian January 12, 2018 at 12:55 PM

Boston Terrors are great with children. We have had three of them and they were all wonderful dogs. But our current rescue Boxer mix is the sweetest animal I’ve ever known.

Mojodojo January 12, 2018 at 1:08 PM

A dog that has been rescued from the shelter

Mary Fouts January 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Agree! Rescue is also my favorite canine “breed”. Current dogs Sid (Pinole shelter alum) and Lexi (Antioch shelter alum).

Concord Res January 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Lab’s Black, Brown and Yellow love them all

TOB January 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Great Danes. Just don’t live long though but wonderful animal. Last one had his own Lazy Boy Chair. Too tall and big makes it hard to get up off the floor so most like to back up and sit like people do. Great family pets even in small areas. Gentle Giants and cowards. Bark and hide. Cartoons Marmaduke and Scooby Doo nail their traits and personalities.

Majority of the cats and dogs in my life time have been rescue animals. Including the Danes.

Roz January 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM

I would like to learn more about breeds of dogs, since I would like to have a dog or two again, with in the next 5 years. The only dog we owned was a Japanese Akita,..she was a smart and wonderful dog,..but I know there are many dogs to rescue to love. Lost our cat (almost 19 yr old) in December 2017, and the only other animals she liked around was Ferrets and baby Raccoons. She kind of looked like a Raccoon,..go figure!

Antler January 12, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Roz, that was one unique cat!
I am very fond of raccoons (well, of certain cats, too), and I hope you’ll tell us some stories about your experiences with them!

Dog Lover January 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM

CalOldBlue January 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM

What mojodojo said.

Make a difference in some poor discarded animal’s life. We love our two mutts and three cats… just the most recent in a long line of rescues.

Kentucky Derby January 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Golden Retriever – it’s a family dog. Cats rock! So does ARF!

Tokyo Spaceship January 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Mix for sure. Chow/Black Lab/? mix 30ish pounds. Great dog was extremely durable and very tough for his size . We have a Yorkiepoo and a Poodle now. They’re cool and all but it’s nice when they can protect your backyard as well.

Suzanne January 12, 2018 at 1:44 PM

One that is playful, smart (but a little stupid too) & cuddly. Basically an Odie type dog from the Garfield cartoons.

JazzMan January 12, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Ball Park.

Gladys Kravetz January 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Boxers they think they’re people.

Silva January 12, 2018 at 2:07 PM

I’ve had a poodle, a beagle, a German shepherd, a Great Dane, a Doberman, a pit/lab mix, and a couple of mutts. I loved them all, but if I ever get another dog I’ll just get one that needs a good home. Right now I’m happy with my three cats.

Antler January 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Sounds like a great plan. Did that one cat who was your mother’s and hated the move to a new house ever come around to being a happy camper?

Silva January 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM

I forgot two boxers.

Silva January 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Antler, He finally got his groove back! It took a good three years, but he’s a large furry mass of raw quivering nerves no more!😊

HolyMolyDoughnutShop January 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM

hate all you want but I’ve never met a more emotionally in tune animal than a pitbull.

former football fan January 12, 2018 at 2:33 PM

German Shepherd

THE ANIMAL January 12, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Rottweiler , just like Pit bulls when raised right they are loving loyal
dogs. Great family dogs. Only stupid people make them mean……………

Anon January 12, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Shelties and Golden Retrievers- but rescued not bred.

Anon January 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Corgi, Sheltie, Aussie, Border

Gitittogether January 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM

The sweetest dog I ever knew was a Boxer. Miss her.

Phillip Horton January 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Rescues of course. I have had many breeds. Love pits and Goldens, Labs ect… But there is nothing like an Anatolian Shepherd. So fearless. Huge, stubborn at times. Think for themselves and super intuitive. Highest bite strength of any dog. Natural born guardians for thousands of years. Known as Kangal also. I DO NOT recommend you run out and get one…… They have special needs!

Antler January 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Largest hunting dog/pet we ever had was a beautifully-dispositioned Vizsla….. deep rust color! He knew how to take care of protecting us to the extent that when we had a nighttime house fire, he decided not to let the Fire Chief out of his car. So (follow this now), the dog’s name was “Chief”, and I’m storming toward the driveway in my bathrobe and am loudly commanding, “CHIEF!!! HERE!!! GET BACK IN THE HOUSE!!!”
And the firemen, who had arrived first and had already put out the fire, were bent double laughing!

Smartest, funniest dog we ever had found us when she ended up shivering in the corner of our back yard while trying to escape fireworks. She was in bad shape…. as in being completely matted, dirty, and flea-infested. I took her to a groomer, who found a purebred miniature black poodle under there. Then on to the vet, who gave exam and meds, etc. No-one ever looked for her at local vets or animal control, and no-one answered newspaper ads or called re the signs we posted all around. So we loved little “Muppet” for over 20 years!

The most beloved purebred breed for us has been our many generations of Brittanys (upland game pointing dogs). Each has been a gentle, loyal companion and excellent AKC field trial champion! Ours just happened to have bright rust-colored spots on white coat patterns, referred to as “orange and white” on papers.

Pony January 12, 2018 at 5:28 PM

German Shepherds and Rottweilers. Nothing like a 90 – 150 lb lapdog 🙂

Larry January 12, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Australian Shepherds you dont’ train them they train you!

Dog lover January 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM

I had a perfect dog. She had a big heart, very good manners, a soft mouth and a large vocabulary. Springer Spaniel mix. 🐾👍

Shasta Daisy January 12, 2018 at 9:13 PM

jjshawk January 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM

German Shepherd, Doberman Pinscher, Husky, and Pitbull (when raised by kind owners, goes for most dogs in general),

That one guy January 13, 2018 at 6:48 AM

By ‘breed of dog’ i assume we’re talking ‘domesticated canine’. In which case: a dog aint no better than its master. Period. As for my favorite breed, my family has only owned one breed of dog as long as i lived at home. There’s only been one breed of dog since i left the nest. I own that same one and only breed today. I used that breed of dog as my personal jungle gym when i was a toddler. And those dogs (God bless their hearts) sat there and dealt with it till one of my parents took notice and pry’d me off. Never once was i bitten, nipped, scratched, mauled, or even barked at. Worst injury was a wicked tail lash to the eye ball….. But thats to be expected when youre only 2 and a half to 3 feet tall lol. Before i was a toddler, way back when i was still a wee little baby, if my parents let u hold me, you were shadowed by 240 lbs between 3 sets of paws that made sure you knew they met business because they never took their eyes off me……

Anywho, im a man. Which makes EVERY dog my best friend. Regardless of the breed. Thats just how i feel. However, like i said above, ive only ever owned one breed of dog. Dont plan on ever owning any other breed.

Dog is man’s best friend. Pit bull is man’s best dog… But, that’s just how i feel

Woof January 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Golden Retrievers – Best family dog. Not an aggressive bone in their bodies. Only want to please and be with their owners.

rubyvee January 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Rescue, which is a synonym for pit bulls these days. Bless you posters who dare to buck the tide and acknowledge what wonderful “mutts” they are.

George January 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Queensland Heeler … tough, smart and never a dull moment!

Kalani January 15, 2018 at 12:11 AM

English bull terrier….they are just good dogs,a little bull headed,but good dogs