CLOSING: Take One Video in Pleasant Hill is Closing by Jan.20

January 12, 2018 10:00 am · 18 comments

The last known video store in the Claycord area (at least the last one we know about), is closing.

Take One Video, which rented DVDs and also offered video transfer and photography services, is closing after 34 years in business in Pleasant Hill.

The owners say they’ll still offer some of their services out of another location, but their movie rental business on Oak Park Blvd. will be closed forever.

The owners posted the following message on their website over the holiday:

First we want to thank everyone for supporting us over the years.  We will still be renting movies through the holidays.  Our last day to rent a movie will be December 31, 2017.  Meanwhile we are selling all of our inventory as well, and expect to be finished by January 20, 2018.  We will still offer our video transfer and photography services out of another location in Concord.  So come on in and browse around. Thanks again for the great years.

photo credit: David E. – yelp.com

Yves harlowe January 12, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Whenever I went to that shopping center, I always wondered how they stayed in business, considering the streaming services available now.

Cowellian January 12, 2018 at 11:02 AM

They are a vestige of a bygone time. At one time, not that long ago, There were Mom & Pop video stores all over the place. Then Blockbuster started forcing all the Mom & Pops out of Business. Blockbuster lost their edge when Hollywood Video featured DVDs. Then NetFlix started a subscription service, shipping videos straight to the home, so Blockbuster and Hollywood fell by the wayside. High bandwidth internet has made streaming video available to more and more homes. I don’t know if Netflix even ships videos anymore.

Stephen January 14, 2018 at 2:57 AM

Yes, Netflix still ships DVDs by mail; I always suggest that people do both the streaming and DVD plan because the latter library is bigger. There have been a number of movies I wanted to watch that wasn’t available for streaming, but were on DVD.

Bad Nombre January 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM

You can ‘rent’ DVDs for $1 or less at the flea market …

WC resident January 12, 2018 at 4:08 PM

They are free at the public library.

The Mamba January 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM

I’m really going to miss these guys, I valued their opinions and advice and the fact that they carry older movies you aren’t going to find in a Redbox. Not to mention a couple of special projects they’ve done for me over the years. Sad.

Be kind January 12, 2018 at 12:26 PM

That is a shame!

Dawg January 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM

You can get DVD and VHS videos at the library for free. If they don’t have a particular movie you are looking for, they will search every public library and some college libraries in the state and if they find it, they will order it for you.

WC resident January 12, 2018 at 4:21 PM

You can do the searching and ordering on line yourself from home. https://catalog.ccclib.org/ is for the Contra Costa County system and
http://csul.iii.com/search/X is for Link+ which is for many other library systems. While it’s not all public libraries in the state quite a few library systems in California and Nevada participate in Link+. As many college and some university libraries participate you can often track down unusual books. TheLink+ books and DVDs will be delivered to your local CCC Library and you pick it up from there.

When airline pilot Chesley Sullenberger landed (crashed?) his aircraft in New York’s Hudson River he had a Link+ book in his luggage. “Just Culture: Balancing Safety and Accountability” The library waived the water damage fee….

Captain Bebops January 12, 2018 at 1:13 PM

This location was Einstein Video until the owner decided the rental era was over and his computers crashed. I used to rent there a lot and the owner would have new releases available Friday instead of the following Tuesday street date. I only visited there once after it changed hands and name. I was surprised it was still in business.

Mary Fouts January 13, 2018 at 3:17 PM

My lasting memory of Einstein Video is shortly before they closed down. A law enforcement agency – can’t remember which, but was not PHPD – served a search warrant on the business. The search warrant servers were in plain clothes. PHPD got a 911 call that the store was being robbed, apparently caller saw plain clothes officers taking cash out of register.

PHPD responded and held the search warrant servers at gunpoint. I remember one of the search warrant servers, a black man, sued PHPD, something about racial profiling. Don’t know how it all turned out.

Sara M January 12, 2018 at 1:47 PM

They did a great job transferring my old home movies to DVD and flash drive and gave me a great deal. Glad they are keeping those services, and I highly recommend them!

Gitittogether January 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Never patronized this business, however it’s always a shame to see a legitimate business owner close his doors.

mike favar January 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM

Internet ordering & streaming has destroyed the video store business.

Captain Bebops January 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM

With streaming you don’t get late fees when you forget to return a video. 😀

That’s supposedly why Netflix got started as Hastings didn’t like a late fee that Blockbuster charged him on a late return.

Autumn January 12, 2018 at 10:35 PM

I worked at the location in Lafayette in the late 90’s! They didn’t even rent DVD’s yet! My how times have changed!

GregTheElder January 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM

I remember renting videos from here with my family in the 80s. I don’t remember what it was called back then, but it was before “Einstein” Anyone remember the magic store with all of the halloween masks?

WC resident January 15, 2018 at 12:25 AM

I thought the name was Einstein even in the 1980s as I regularly got videos from there in the mid 1980s through late 1990s.

The magic shop moved to Martinez though I’m now wondering if it’s still in business as I can’t find a web site for it.

The owner of the magic shop now also operates a restaurant Martinez where they do tricks at the tables. http://www.calmagic.com/ is the web site for that but the only mention of the store seems to be deep in this blog post.