The Water Cooler – Do You Still Use the Yellow Pages?

January 11, 2018 12:00 pm · 28 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Do you still use the Yellow Pages, or does it go straight to the recycling bin when you find one in your driveway?

Talk about it….

Dawg January 11, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Yes I do, but I also use the Internet. I depends on what I’m looking for and the Yellow Pages also have coupons in the back.

Nirk_Patrick January 11, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Junk mail in book form

Simonpure January 11, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Haven’t received one in years

USA January 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Yes, still use them. They make great door stops, and they are also very handy on the workbench for drilling projects. Also, the pages are removable so you can spread them out for small spray paint projects too!

On a serious note, if you are a business and advertising in the phone book, you need to talk to your kids and have them get to work on your Google search result listings.

AnonZ January 11, 2018 at 12:19 PM

No. I’m surprised they even publish it any longer. Every time it lands on my driveway, I toss it.

Wave January 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM

What are Yellow Pages???

Lambie January 11, 2018 at 8:06 PM

Pages that are yellow

Whatever January 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM

No, and I couldn’t be happier about it.

As a small business owner, the YP held a gun to our heads for decades charging exorbitant prices to participate in their monopoly. Every year the ad prices went up 10%, pay it or you risk falling to the back of your section and getting buried. The sales people were smug jerks, knowing there was no alternative.

The internet has driven them out of business and I’m not at all upset about it. The problem now is Yelp has taken over their shady sales practices, if you don’t pay for advertising on Yelp your star rating is lowered and the 5 star reviews are buried.

The YP aren’t even thick enough to sit your grandkids on so they can eat at the big table, there truly is no use for that book.

USA January 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Correct. Yelp is nothing more than a scam. If you don’t pay them, they filter your best reviews down. Pay them, and magically they reappear up top. But they will swear it’s just their algorithms. Instead, invest your time in Google Reviews. The 20 something crowd has been jumping ship from Yelp to Google over the last few years. Where they go, everyone follows 😉

Pleasant Jenny January 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Absolutely correct on both YP & Yelp, “Whatever”.

It took me years to convince my old fashioned business owners/employers to stop throwing their money at the YP Thieves. The last salesman they dealt with could have killed me with his eye daggers when he smugly came in for annual renewal and they cancelled everything instead. He knew it was me pushing for them to finally do so for years!

Don’t even get me started on Yelp. I won’t pay them a dime. I have had some success in approaching a couple of “you’ll never make me happy” customers who have posted to remove their posts with threats of defamation of character.

Cowellian January 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM

Straight to recycling!

Even back when we were in Concord, we didn’t use the Yellow pages. For several years, when the new one came in, It got stuck beside the microwave, while the old one went in the recycling. When I realized that I was recycling unused books, I decided they weren’t worth saving.

chuckie the troll January 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM

Another vote for recycling. They are going the way of the horse and buggy.

Concordejet January 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM

both yellow page and 411 will be gone soon

Wesley Mouch January 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Yes, as fire starter on spare the air days… wink, wink.

Hill January 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Is there is a real resone to have them any more? Seems like a waste, money , time , trees and trash fill.

Incognito January 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM

I have to admit, I keep a current one in the house. Although it’s collecting dust.

I also use the old ones to put in the bottom of my Grandfather clocks so in the event one of the cords holding the weights breaks loose, the weight will hit the phone book and not my hardwood floors. Seems trivial, but one of my Grandfather clocks has three weights and the heaviest one weights 26 pounds! Recycle, repurpose, reuse!

WC resident January 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM

I use them once a year. I compare the old one to the new one and notice it’s another 1/8th of an inch thinner than before. I then toss the old one.

When hiring a service company such as a plumber or tree cutting I will look to see if they advertise in the yellow pages. It’s a clue that they are likely an older and more established business.

I took a look at the one we got a few weeks ago and noticed it does not have the residential section. There’s a note on page 5 about that they have not included the residential listings since July 2013. You can view them on line at http://www.realpageslive.com You can order a printed copy and once you order it they will send you a printed copy each year. On line at realpageslive it looks like they still manufacture phone books with the residential section the way they used to but no longer ship it to everyone by default.

Anon January 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM

As a fire starter.

Dorothy January 11, 2018 at 3:15 PM

I use the paper YPs because I try not to do searched on the internet. Like Dawg, I then go on the internet to see if they have a website. No website, no business. If they have a contact box, I will leave a message in it about what I need. No response, no business. Sometime I have to go back to the paper YPs to get more business names to check out.

I do know some business’ have been surprised when I say I found them in the YPs.

Rob January 11, 2018 at 3:24 PM

LOL – I got a yellow pages on my doorstep – I saved it and when my younger nephew came over I showed it to him. He looked at it – and finally said – interesting a book with places and their phone numbers.

To which he then added….

So how often do they update it when information changes….

Yup….

Mimi (original) January 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM

Even 10 years ago, when I knew a guy who made his living selling YP ads I wondered how he kept afloat! I rarely used the YP back in the day, but when I did, it was from the BIG PHONE COMPANY book, not the local YP skinny offerings.

It's Me January 11, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Yellow pages… what’s that? Asian kids working for elected representatives in DC?
Oh lighten up! Just making a joke!

CSS January 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM

Lol

Elwood January 11, 2018 at 11:24 PM

The what?

Share the Road with Me January 12, 2018 at 6:40 AM

Haven’t used it in years. Received a postcard not too long ago asking to contact them if I wanted the YP delivered; at least they are not automatically dropping them on the driveway anymore – such a waste. Hated throwing it out.

Half full January 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM

My rabbits love them. Great toy. And safe

Barbie Girl January 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM

My art professor used them to wipe printing ink off the grids. So I would always bring ours to class. Now it goes straight to the trash .

Doh January 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM

I look at Yelp reviews with a skeptic eye. Most are reliable. However, when I investigate telemarketers they refer to their great Yelp reviews. I have found and reported on contractors with a license that doesn’t have workman’s comp because they “certify they have no full time employees.” The office address is a Mailbox Etc. or similar PO box. I have reported some to Yelp and they respond because I didn’t hire the suspect contractor they take down my review.