CHP: Driver Ticketed for Going 105-MPH on Eastbound Hwy.4

January 11, 2018 10:00 am · 76 comments

The Contra Costa – CHP says “If you’re going to drive 105-mph at 2 a.m. on eastbound hwy.4 because you think there’s nobody on the roadway….think again. Bad move! Luckily the driver was not impaired and was issued a ticket for over 100 mph. Slow down people.”

QUESTION: How often do you see people drive what you believe to be over 100-mph on the freeways in Contra Costa County?

TIFOKCIS January 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM

On HWY 4 between here and HWY 80…………………a lot!

Connecting one low life crap area to another.

PO'd January 11, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Dead on. I travel that highway and can vouch that there are super aggressive drivers there and it seems that the CHP doesn’t patrol it all that much.
A definite misunderstanding of the laws of physics (inertia and coefficient of friction be damned) defines the drivers on 4.

Great Gonzo January 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM

How often do I see high speed speeders?

Far too often.

I used to be an EMT and would take it as a personal favor if most of these people would drive into a wall!

HolyMolyDoughnutShop January 11, 2018 at 10:17 AM

amazed they didn’t impound and charge with a felony.

WC resident January 11, 2018 at 10:37 AM

If you knew there was an automatic impound for 100 MPH or more would you pull over for a cop? Many people would not. You run for the ‘hood. If you get away then you have a cool story and youtube video for the homies. If you get caught they will impound the car anyway though you still get that cool story and youtube video which you monetize and likely make a profit.

Marmalade January 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Oh Cmon, if your gonna drive way over the speed limit then the middle of the night IS the time to do it. Driving 110 mph is not a hard thing to do with the power cars have now totally stock.
That guy was probably still in 3rd gear and had much more mph left.
You don’t buy 500+ hp cars to drive the speed limits on stretches of freeways.
I do not have a problem with how fast he was going.

So the other 2 cars he was racing with weren’t stopped cause they were going faster and further ahead. And yes there were 2 others…

Star Lord January 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Agreed.

As an owner of a car with around 550hp, getting up to those speeds does not take long at all. My car also feels extremely stable at 100+ as well.

I did 160+ on 24 years ago (different car) at 3 in the morning. There were no other cars so the only person I would have killed was myself if something happened.

Curlybird January 11, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Marmalade – like these youngsters even know how to change gears. Try slapping the stick and getting to 100 mph. Now that’s driving.

Concord wankster January 11, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Of course the mustang got smoked by 2 other cars which were probably chevys

RunnerDope January 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Most of the real muscle cars now are Dodges.

Concord Guy January 11, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Way too often. Highway 24 through Orinda and Lafayette can be really bad when traffic is light.

concord grape January 11, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Looks like a Mustang. Next time put it in high gear

Incognito January 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Highway 4 East and West, morning and night, 80 + all the time!

Dawg January 11, 2018 at 10:29 AM

I can remember driving across the Nevada desert on I 80 in a 69 Mustang Boss 302 at 130 mph in 1973 when Nevada didn’t have a maximum speed limit. It was really fun, then Nixon signed the national speed limit of 55 mph into law and spoiled all the fun.
In those days there wasn’t much traffic in Nevada and I was the only car on the road. I wouldn’t even think about driving that fast in California, too dangerous.

Ddt January 11, 2018 at 7:03 PM

A Ford cannot outrun a Hemi Charger

Todd January 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM

Actually, the current charger RT is considerably slower than the current mustang GT. The charger has a 0-60 of 5.1 seconds, while the mustang is 4.7 seconds, and is a much better handling vehicle.

jjshawk January 12, 2018 at 1:26 AM

Damn that $___head Nixon. He signed all kinds of BS, ..war on drugs, EPA, and taking us off the gold standard,…list goes on…

KingOfC January 11, 2018 at 10:31 AM

105? That’s it?, especially sober, that’s no big deal, maybe his wife’s water broke? Forgot to turn off the stove?

more tickets needed by CHP January 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM

This freeway, among others, is a racetrack. CHP needs to be out and giving more tickets. Along with the jerks who run red lights.

Anonymous January 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM

I just figured out that Marmalade just craves attention . Childish comments on everything from her.

Person January 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM

Agree! I think Marm is a guy though…with a girly username.

Keep all three barrels up January 12, 2018 at 7:01 AM

I was thinking the same thing!!! Every thread there’s something. LOL

Cowellian January 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM

After 65,000 miles, my daughter needed a new set of tires. The salesman tried to impress her with tires rated at 120 mph. She just rolled her eyes at him.

335 January 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Every night on the road around that time, vehicles are driving at a high rate of speed. 23152s are called in however CHP is not in the present area and cannot always be in the area as there are other locations they need to be at as well.

Doh January 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM

I have never seen the worst speeder at 100, maybe 90. There are far too many cars on the road to go that fast. But I don’t drive on 80 at 3 AM either and I never do 100.

OH YEAH!!! January 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM

See them all the time on 680N in the morning between San Ramon and Concord! Pretty dangerous out there, esp if you’re trying to drive only within 5-10 miles higher than the speed limit!

Anon January 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM

No problems…. this type of activity will be used to justify Drone patrols.
It’s the IMBECILES who ruin it for everyone.
Until then – everyone should have a dash cam.

Barlie January 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM

I typically do 80mph on Saturdays bout noon. The cars in the hammer lane fly by doing 90+ all the time. This is nothing new. Its when they start weaving in & out of traffic that things get crazy. Their speed usually exceeds their driving skills.

The Grant January 11, 2018 at 11:40 AM

They probably weave in and out of traffic because someone ahead of them in the fast lane 1) won’t move over and allow the faster vehicle to pass, 2) car in the fast lane is not going fast in the first place (I see Prius drivers in the fast lane on highway 24 all the time putting along leaving 10 car lengths ahead of them).

old-school guy January 12, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Thank you for observing VC 21650.

ME January 11, 2018 at 11:35 AM

I did 110 once on 280 around midnight HOPING to get pulled over. It didn’t work though.

There was only one other car on the the road and they were following me closely no matter what I did. I got really freaked out and thought I could either out run their SUV or at least get pulled over. I didn’t have a cell phone at the time. The person still chased me on and off the freeway. Finally I went really fast then slammed on the breaks so they’d pass me and took an off ramp and made a bunch of turns into a neighborhood. Scary night.

Mimi (original) January 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM

Oh, ME – I had a similar experience many years ago on a dark night on 280 N through Los Altos and Palo Alto. Apparently my little Opel GT ticked someone off and they started dogging my tail. As a single lady of about 24 at the time I was totally freaked out. Got to a point on the freeway that curved this way then that way and sped up and went down an offramp, took a couple of quick turns into a neighborhood and turned the lights off. They missed my last turn and sped by. I have to tell you, I almost pee’d my pants, this was during the time of the Hillside Strangler (I think he was called) in the Santa Cruz mountains and I was sure he was after me!!

Chester E. Kitty January 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM

On Highway 4 … ALL THE TIME!!! I don’t care what time it is … people on Highway 4 drive like ‘bats out of hell’. And I NEVER see the police. I really wish they would patrol more often … between Martinez and Antioch is the worse.

Sandi January 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Every single day I see someone going over 100 on highway 4 . I never see a highway patrol, ever.

George January 11, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Well at least the car wasn’t stolen and the driver wasn’t high!

Dorothy January 11, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Not impaired? Is mindless high speed driving/racing not impaired judgment?

Harley January 11, 2018 at 12:08 PM

I go 100+ all the time. I understand y’all are scared or whatever but just move over and let the big boys through.

Also I’m surprised that mustang didn’t kill anyone.

Jerk January 11, 2018 at 7:54 PM

Your Harley DonorCycle can actually get up to 100 – Shocking!
Get a ZX14

Coggins Square January 11, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Speeding and aggressive driving is a serious pandemic in this region that is putting people’s lives in unnecessary danger. I am so grateful to have had an outstanding driver’s ed. teacher at Safestway Driving School when I took Driver’s ed. back in the summer of 1993, as Mr. Raab was a very caring, but very strict man who taught his students the importance of being good drivers, and being good citizens in general. Even though Mr. Raab could be very scary and intimidating, it was to help you realize that making bad choices while driving and life in general has consequences, and sometimes those consequences can be very severe.

Marmalade January 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Important rule of thumb and just being smart is…

IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT STAY IN THE SLOW LANE! I’ll appreciate it.

Sherry Alldredge January 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM

I drive a Mustang on Hwy 4 at @ 2 in the morning. People will try to challenge me to race. I usually go between 75-80 mph. But some of these fools drive by so quickly, that my car will shake. No, I will not race. I value my life, my car, and my lower insurance rates. If anything, I’ll drive slower just in fear of seeing these fools in an accident ahead.

Harley January 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Get a volvo.

Darktailz January 12, 2018 at 2:39 AM

Define “challenge” did they honk their horn or flash there high berms?

Reality says... January 11, 2018 at 12:59 PM

I drive 100+ any time I pass through hwy 4, I’m not trying to get shot!!! The sooner I can get out of that area the better…especially at 2am.

Ignorance January 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM

What’s sad is that living in Antioch is much safer than living in concord which I did for 11 years then moved to Antioch and have never felt safer. People don’t actually get shot here. Concord has more crime than out here. So please educate yourself before letting your ignorance get in the way.

SpankyFortuna January 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM

100mph on the Autobahn daily.

Harley January 11, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Let’s all have a race tonight on HWY 4 at 2AM. The password is VROOM

BITE_ME January 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM

If a person has to drive 15 MPH on a road that has a limit of 65 with commuter traffic,
Then said person can drive 115MPH on the same road with No traffic.

Incognito January 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM

I’ve done 168 in less than 8 seconds and in a 1/4 mile…. saved this experience and did it at a drag track!

Marmalade January 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM

I track drag raced for decades…its boring at the track. Street was more fun and can do it 24/7 vs many more and different style racing.
There was and still is a lot of street racers around here that utilize freeways as there tracks. It goes on everywhere.

MLE January 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM

I used to drive like that, now when I see people doing the same I think “what an asshole I used to be”.

ming January 11, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Nascar is coming up soon:)

Anon Figures January 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM

If you want to drive your car fast do it on a track, not the freeway.

I don’t care if you put your own life in danger but don’t put me and my family in jeopardy because for your stupidity!

Harley January 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Keep your family in the slow lane.

Publius January 11, 2018 at 3:20 PM

LA used to have Midnight Runners when hi powered cars would get out and drive the freeways at plus 120mph routinely. Don’t know if they still do that but when I came up here there were these idiots who didn’t know how to drive at the limit much less anything over the limit. NorCal drivers suck!

Debbie January 11, 2018 at 3:33 PM

I witness racetrack driving every time I drive that freeway! I have to once or twice a week, but avoid hwy.4 when I can by taking back roads.

Person January 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM

I see it regularly, that’s cruising speed on that ghetto freeway! I rarely see CHP though, so this makes my day!
Now stay out there & get more. Make a presence!

The Man January 11, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Gonzo, with your comment about wishing those people would run into a cement wall I can understand why you no longer are a EMT.

The Mamba January 11, 2018 at 8:33 PM

Any other tickets we should know about? *rolls eyes*

Googlar January 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM

Oh who cares. All modern cars, and many older ones, can handle perfectly well at that speed. With nobody else on the freeway there’s no danger to anyone but the driver. Only thing that’s bad about is is that it is against the law, but sometimes the laws aren’t right.

Be honest, can you drive safely at 75ph? What about 85? What about 95? What about 105 on an empty four lane freeway? If you can’t you suck at driving.

dk January 11, 2018 at 9:22 PM

That is AWESOME !!! I wish they could catch all of the POS drivers I se on HWY 4 !!!
I bet that is going to be a very expensive ticket !!!

Cautiously Informed January 11, 2018 at 9:49 PM

When will automobile manufacturers start being held responsible for producing dangerous super high performance vehicles? When will auto dealerships start being held responsible for selling dangerous super high performance vehicles to people that aren’t qualified to handle them? It happens with many many other consumer products, so why not automobiles?

jjshawk January 12, 2018 at 12:59 AM

It’s the owner/operator of the car that should be held responsible for being stupid, not the car manufacturer for building a desirable product.

Cautiously Informed January 12, 2018 at 1:39 PM

jjshawk,
It’s sarcasm.

In California people aren’t responsible for their own actions. Fat people aren’t fat because they eat too much, it’s the fast food and soda pop industries fault. It’s not the criminals fault that they commit crimes, it’s they systems fault. People don’t shoot people, guns shoot people. You need to slow down your hot rod, roll down the window and take a look outside.

biggus thinkus January 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM

i drive what the freeway allows.
if i can roll a safe, comfortable 80, why not?
especially if i’m with the flow of traffic.
rule #1, don’t be the fastest car in the pack.
rule #2, don’t pull a prius and drive a vehicle in a way it
can’t handle safely (see all above prius comments)

ClayDen January 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM

I don’t see people over 100 very often, but I’m usually not on the freeway in the middle of the night. If this guy was racing others, then I wish they had gotten the others too. If you want to drive that fast and race other people, go to a track day (which you can do at Sears Point, Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and other tracks). I do see people driving recklessly at 80-90, weaving in and out and being a moving hazard fairly frequently.

Back when Nevada had no speed limits, I averaged 100 MPH for 400 miles, and that included slowing down for a few small towns and a gas stop. However, my car had a 4 point harness (with a 3″ lap belt), a roll bar that was legal for road racing, fire extinguisher and we were wearing crash helmets. No problem. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve slowed down some, but still like to go quickly through the twisties when the conditions are right. BTW, my small sedan that is capable of about 130 MPH has ultra high performance summer tires (and high performance shocks) that are rated for 186 MPH. I have them not because I need the top speed capability, but because they improve the handling and braking, including in wet weather, which improves the accident avoidance capability. A few years ago we were driving north on I-15 in Utah and the traffic was rolling at 15 over the speed limit, as is typical on many California highways. However, the speed limit on that stretch was 80, so we were cruising at 95 and everything seemed perfectly normal and safe, obeying the basic speed law.

YourMom January 11, 2018 at 10:25 PM

I commute to Antioch and if you’re not driving 80mph then you’re a hazard. It’s scary.

jjshawk January 12, 2018 at 12:37 AM

100mph is not that fast, if there is no traffic, and most of the cars built in the last 10 years are safe to drive at those speeds. I can respect strict enforcement, when other people are put at risk without their permission. However, their should be a time and place for one to enjoy the capabilities of their car, with the pedal to the floor ( for all I care, until the car runs out of gas), if he/she chooses to do so. Rural areas, with long, straight roads should have a higher, or no speed limit. If a driver rolls their car up into a ball, that’s on them, as long as it’s just the driver that pays the price.

The focus should be on red-light runners. Now, those are some of the most dangerous motorists.

Marmalade January 12, 2018 at 8:50 AM

100 is the old 60. I’ll drive whatever speed I want wherever I want. Matter of fact I always have.
If you don’t like vehicles whizzing by you at 80+ on your right then get in the slow lanes and get your butts out of the fast lane.

Aspirin January 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM

100 mph: Big fine.

Stupid.

Thelma January 12, 2018 at 10:40 AM

Everyday!

Expensive Ticket January 12, 2018 at 1:56 PM

If ticketed at 100 or more, cited for reckless driving good luck with your insurance or finding insurance other than the General and paying a fortune for bare bones insurance. Slightly below a DUI pay for years. Cool if you want to risk that, but financially can and will haunt you for years. I’m not picking a side just sharing consequence of getting caught. Know too that other Police can cite you on Hwy. I was cited by Concord PD on Hwy 4 going up the Willow Pass Grade 15 yrs ago. Some idiots think they know more than the law think not their jurisdiction. Even BART can cite you. No joke. Whether they do or don’t depends on their mood.

Tokyo Spaceship January 12, 2018 at 1:56 PM

maybe he was testing out his new chrome muffler bearings

ClayDen January 12, 2018 at 3:00 PM

Or maybe he got his framistan rebuilt or got a new quill vent.

Tokyo Spaceship January 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Best way to make the most of a track day is to show up with a ballpark tune in it. Hard to get that around here outside hwy 4 at night.

Mary from Concord January 12, 2018 at 5:53 PM

I see it all the time. The Antioch Oakley Brentwood people live so far in the boonies they have to speed so their commute seems shorter. They also are priced out of Concord because Concord is the new Danville.