Thieves Get Away with Laptop After Grab & Run in Concord

January 10, 2018 20:23 pm · 45 comments

Two thieves got away with a laptop after they snatched it from a customer at the Starbucks on Port Chicago Hwy. in Concord on Wednesday evening just before 8 p.m.

The suspects were described as two black males.

No injuries were reported.

Patricia January 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM

So many low lifes everywhere stealing other people’s
Stuff . Just lovely

Mika January 10, 2018 at 8:36 PM

Is there some way to lock a laptop to the tables?

Reality says... January 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM
biggus thinkus January 10, 2018 at 9:30 PM

boo.
my neighborhood. i really like living here, and make it a point to make
Not-Enemies here and everywhere i go.
not meaning to be potentially insensitive, but was the individual outside?
it’s a pretty open area. that said, 8pm (dark) in a small, visible, outdoor(?).
i’m sorry it happened, truly. race makes no difference.
there are turd suckers of every ethnicity!

krusader January 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM

our laws are just too soft for these low life pos’s. jail over crowdedness blah blah blah. why are taxpayers paying to house, feed and uphold rights for people who have no disregard for other people? i’d love to reform our jail system here and model it after a maximum security penitentiary in mexico or russia. we’ll see who shapes up real quick…

Anon January 10, 2018 at 9:48 PM

You can get pepper spray at Big 5. .I carry it at the ATM, going to my car, walking alone, and I keep it in my car. Buy the one with the dye in it.

Googlar January 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM

Nice way to get stabbed

Khloe January 11, 2018 at 12:54 AM

Chances are you will be the one who gets arrested.

Bitterman January 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM

LMFAO @ Goooooglar

It’s a little hard to stab something you can’t see…

And lets stop by a hardware store after Big 5 and get some rope to hang these turds.

Aa January 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Why would you get stabbed if you carry pepper spray??

Mika January 11, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Pepper spray? Get a can of wasp spray, it can shoot over ten feet.

Googlar January 12, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Bitterman, there were two suspects, and there’s no guarantee the spray will hit the eyes of both or incapacitate them enough to prevent escalated retaliation.

WC resident January 13, 2018 at 12:01 AM

@Googlar – 99% of the time if one perp goes down the rest scatter like rats or cockroaches. Pepper spray is safer to use in a Starbucks than a firearm when trying to deal with a rat or one or more Norwegians skittering about the shop.

Marmalade January 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM

Laws got nothing to do with theft. People will steal cause it’s so easy to do so. Most victims are stupid. Yes I said stupid. Victims in thefts like this are so unaware of themselves being an easy victim of a grab and run.
I told my daughter she had no business taking her laptop with her to Starbucks. I just told her go get your coffee and come back home or drink it there, you don’t need your friggin laptop at Starbucks. Basically I told her to get a life and quit living at Starbucks with your laptop.
Panera Bread is another prime spot for thieves to grab and run, those laptop users in there don’t have a clue, half of them walking off to refill or bathroom and leave laptop sitting there…stupid is as stupid does.

You simply can’t fix stupid, you are born that way.

NunYa January 10, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Thanks Dad!

Kentucky Derby January 11, 2018 at 6:49 AM

There are no victims – only volunteers? There are true victims, but people who set themselves up outnumber the others. Blaming the victim isn’t pulled out of thin blue air. There’s always a basis for it.

I agree people need to wise up. Criminals are opportunists, and without an opportunity, there is no crime.

Common sense is a learned behavior. Sadly, not everyone practices common sense and good judgment. Live and learn.

anon January 11, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Unlike her father who appears to stay at home all day smoking dope, surfing the internet, not washing his hands after using the toilet, and never using a brick and mortar retail store, Marmalade’s daughter may actually have a life.

Joe January 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Stupid Victim January 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM

Actually I was very aware of the guy who snatched my laptop the entire time he was in there. I was cautious and had my hands on my laptop the entire time, I looked down for, I kid you not, HALF a second and he grabbed the laptop, with charger and my earphones and all and RAN for it.
The dude was on my radar the whole time, and it’s hard to just assume that a black dude is just gonna snatch my stuff, because we all hate to assume and think the worst in people. There were so many factors involved, and i was actively thinking of ways to get out of that situation.But it happened SO quickly nobody knew what happened until he was out the door. We all carry valuables on us and we can’t live through life worrying about things that might not happen. Of course, that doesn’t mean no one should be cautious, which I Was.
Blaming the victim won’t get you anywhere, and distorts any logic that your argument could have. This is on par with the “Well, if her skirt wasn’t so short, she wouldn’t have gotten raped” argument. Useless.

It's Me January 11, 2018 at 4:50 PM

@Stupid Victim

Very sorry this happened to you! But I think this may have been a blessing in disguise. If you were to pack your stuff and leave, you could have been followed outside and they could have gotten away with your entire bag.
There is nothing wrong with confrontation. If you felt you were being eyeballed, you could have said something, loud for everyone to hear. Let them play the race card. Let them call you a racist. I’d much rather be called racist than have my dignity minus my laptop.

Of course, after the fact everyone has great ideas and I’m not the first or the last to promote them. But again, just wanted to say I am sorry. I go to that Starbucks often, and it’s a pretty crappy feeling knowing that anyone could be next.

biggus thinkus January 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM

hey Victim,
i was wrong in most assumptions. well played and very well
communicated to us. thank you for (honestly) letting us know how
it went. being inside. … dude. i certainly can’t fault you one bit.
b a l l s y move on their part. i live close, i’ll buy you a beer.

robert January 12, 2018 at 12:09 AM

the way you talk about your daughter why wouldn’t she spend her time at starbucks?and if she is stupid,well the apple is pretty close to the tree.

Chris January 10, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Why is everyone always trying to point a finger? People are jerks and thieves. It’s not political. Teach your kids right from wrong and stop blaming everyone for the problem. Robbery is a crime and hopefully they’ll be caught and prosecuted.

Town January 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM

When politicians pass a law making it a slap on the wrist, people are going to make it political.

G. January 11, 2018 at 9:24 AM

@TOWN That’s a bit short sighted. There is a reason people choose to commit crimes, and unfortunately the punishment (or a perceived lack there of) is certainly not that reason… If these criminals are as stupid as society at large has assumed, don’t you doubt they would be able to think far enough ahead to choose their crimes based on punishment?

Original G January 11, 2018 at 12:02 AM

For some reason kneecaps comes to mind.

Clayton Black Glove January 11, 2018 at 12:11 AM

Laws have EVERYTHING to do with these Victims getting hammered by young juveniles and adults that take please bargains to lighten their sentences. If We The People stood strong and firm with what the Law executes, providing each crime has a different sentence, things would change extremely. Go out and Vote. Don’t get deceived by these proposition that save your tax dollars and lack on judicial consequences

NoMoreFreeRide January 11, 2018 at 7:48 AM

If you don’t believe that go to Singapore!

anon January 11, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Off with their heads!

Reality says... January 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think please bargains are the problem…but maybe plea bargains are?

Clayton Black Glove January 11, 2018 at 12:31 AM

Should have proof read my post. It’s the Law has
And plea bargains. Sorry didn’t have my glasses on.

Khloe January 11, 2018 at 12:51 AM

You sure hit the nail on the head. Anything under $1000 is a freebie, aka: a misdemeanor, so why not.

Clayton Black Glove January 11, 2018 at 1:08 AM

It’s not pointing fingers, It’s stating a fact. There’s many children and adolescents that DON’T have both mom and dad Teaching them to be good. Programs, and mentoring are what these poor, hopeless juviles and children NEED. That’s when our judicial system can help. Those that show interest for change, those the Law can handle without Any bargains

Silva January 11, 2018 at 5:41 AM

This reminds me that I lost a lovely acquaintance when he tried to get his laptop back from the thief in a similar situation.

Town January 11, 2018 at 8:13 AM

You are more likely to get charged of a crime for fighting back 😉 I also bet at least 10 people just watched it happen and did nothing.

ClayCat January 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM

SF Chronicle Prop 47 article from LA District Attorney contact indicates crime increase:

Joe January 11, 2018 at 11:06 AM

That’s an opinion article. Not facts. Violent crime has also increased, and has nothing to do with Prop 47.

NunYa January 12, 2018 at 4:06 AM

Might be opinion but if you think all crime isn’t related, i.e. lack of courtesy for others, then you might want to take a good hard look around.

Anonsense January 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM

So, what is the solution? Personally, I don’t want these thieves to get off with a slap on the wrist but I also don’t want thousands of my tax dollars spent housing inmates at some billionaires for-profit prison over a laptop worth a few hundred bucks. Do you EVER propose a better option or just complain?

Great Gonzo January 11, 2018 at 11:10 AM

OK, here is a solution, like it or not I do not care.

Loosen the laws to allow citizens who are robbed to be able to take the criminal in custody. Expand citizens so it is not the automatic conviction of a crime if the citizen makes a mistake in anyway. Punishment should fit the crime, jail and/or prison does not work for snatch and grabs economically so bring back public flogging! Thieves, young punks, beginner criminals who never got anything heavier than a twenty dollar bill laid on them need to get some stout leather bent over them! Laid on by a BIG deputy with a will! Make the crook pay a form of restitution is what I am saying.

To those who do not like it, go away at least I came up with a solution.

ChuckStir January 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM

Town, you want to be the hero and confront these two and possibly get injured or killed over a laptop.

Application January 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Wish there was an application that enabled you to blow up the laptop if stolen. Bet that would deter people.

Sinn Feiner January 11, 2018 at 6:38 PM

We’re not allowed to discuss that.

AWFUL January 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM

yea anon, it’s very simple. Three strikes rule did what it was meant to do. Some (liberals) will cry that it would be unfair to give somebody a third strike for stealing a candy bar. I disagree. If you already have two strikes and you are moronic enough to steal something, you don’t deserve to be running around outside. LOCK HER UP!!!

Be kind January 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM

I am so tired of thieves ripping us off. I wish they would all get caught and sent to an island all by themselves.