U.S.P.S. Letter Carriers Will Be Delivering As Early As 5 a.m. During Holiday Season

December 13, 2017 10:00 am · 18 comments

Letter carriers for the U.S. Postal Service will be delivering packages and letters as early as 5 a.m. in some parts of the San Francisco Bay Area during the holiday season, postal officials said.

Carriers will start as early as 5 a.m. during the weeks of Dec. 11 and Dec. 18, the two busiest weeks of the year, according to postal officials.

The Bay-Valley District includes the East Bay, north to Napa, east to Fairfield, and the South Bay, including San Jose to King City and the coast from Big Sur to Santa Cruz, postal officials said.

The postal service expects a more than 10 percent increase in package volume this holiday season. Postal officials expect a total of 850 million packages, 100 million more than last year, to be delivered between
Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.

ClayDen December 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM

So I guess that is why there was a package on my porch when I left at 0545 this morning.

Dawg December 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Since when did the Bay Area extend to Napa, Fairfield, Big Sur, King City and Santa Cruz? I mean, who decides the boundaries? At this rate the Bay Area will soon extend to Sacramento, Bakersfield and Clear Lake.

Kurt Larson December 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Pretty sure it says Bay-Valley District.
Not the Bay Area. Looks like the U.S.
Postal Service has their own defined districts.

Captain Bebops December 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM

I got a mail delivery yesterday morning at 6:51 AM according to my security camera. Safer for them at that time than delivering late at night.

Drvrdadca December 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM

I saw USPS delivering this morning at 7am. Took package to the house while he left the back of the truck open, with boxes visible. Not too bright.

Chester E. Kitty December 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM

That is way too early! My dog woke me up the other night barking at 4:57 a.m. and it was the mail carrier putting a package on my neighbor’s porch. The bad thing is if they leave via the garage when they go to work, they would not even know the package was there. No mail should be delivered before 7 a.m. or after 6 p.m. in my opinion! And don’t even get me started on the people that Amazon contracts with ….

Mel December 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM

As long as they actually come to deliver my mail, any thing is a-ok with me. But, coming on a regular basis would be a change for us….

Pony December 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM

I’ll still won’t see my mail before 3pm on a good day. More likely about 8pm

anon December 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Last Saturday I didn’t get any mail but then on Sunday I got mail delivery.

Linda December 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM

They should only be delivering 10 hours tops. The USPS is ridiculous for making their carriers deliver for over 12 hours a day just so people can get their Christmas items. No consideration for the carriers!

Bob Foo December 13, 2017 at 11:26 PM

My lord, you people complain about everything.

John D December 15, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Well said !

WhoMe? December 14, 2017 at 7:12 AM

The USPS made 3 separate deliveries to my home yesterday. One was regular mail (in the mail box), another was a package on my porch, then later a small package in my mail box.

In talking with them, she stated they were happy to do the the last leg of Amazons or anyone’s deliveries. Happy to have the work. Last year, a USPS truck made a last leg delivery on a SUNDAY, and the dude said they were working lots of OT, and also happy to have the work.

Barbie Girl December 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Yep, our mail carrier was up and about very early this cold morning. Good job!

Kirkwood December 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

The Post Office Dept. doesn’t pay very well and I’m happy to see the employees have the opportunity for some overtime money for the Holidays.

Elvis December 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Mine doesn’t. I had to go out with a flashlight in the dark last night which I really don’t appreciate because I don’t feel safe rattling around on the street with a flashlight in the dark. I would not have known except that I just happened to be monitoring the security camera when I saw him go by in the dark.

For thirty years our mail came at precisely 12:00 noon Monday through Saturday. You could set your clock by him. He also kept kitty treats with him and a cat in the neighborhood would chase him up and back down the street waiting for him to stop so he could get his treat. If I didn’t have enough postage on a letter I had left in the box for pickup (back them you could safely leave your mail in the box for pickup), he would bring it to the door and tell me (I was sick at the time and a little spacey).

Now, I really never know when the mail is going to be delivered because somedays it is at 3 pm and some other days it is at 6 pm. Odd to me that the route varies that much day to day.

JustMe December 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM

i would love anything that causes me to get mail earlier. Right now I’m getting mail after 7pm or 8pm at night.

It really sucks!

Gary December 14, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Oh goodie. Who needs sleep.