The Water Cooler – Real Christmas Tree or Fake Christmas Tree?

December 13, 2017 12:00 pm · 27 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Do you prefer a real Christmas tree or a fake Christmas tree? Either way, tell us why!

Talk about it….

AnonZ December 13, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Real, because when we were growing up, my brother was allergic to pine and we always had to have a fake one.

Future Catlady December 13, 2017 at 12:14 PM

At this stage in my life I am content with an artificial tree. I used to get real trees while I was raising my kids. As much as I like the scent of the real trees, it seemed like I was vacuuming up pine needles from my living room and car long after Christmas.

Suzanne December 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM

And I’m still vacuuming needles from my cheap fake tree long after Christmas. It’s just like having a real one! 🙂

Suzanne December 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Prefer real, but go with fake…. and pre-lit. Spent too many years trying to put strings of lights on the tree perfectly. Now I don’t care. Once my authentic, 7ft fake,pre-lit tree’s lights stop working, I’ll downgrade further to a 4ft. Pre-lit, of course.

Antler December 13, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Suzanne, that is the same route my husband and I have taken. Our artificial tree looks really beautiful when its four sections are assembled (a 7′ pre-lit fir variety), I do miss the scent of a real tree, though, so we bought an evergreen jarred candle from Orvis (or maybe from a hunting or nature magazine) awhile back. It works!

Strad December 13, 2017 at 12:34 PM

I’d like to have stores put up either along with Christmas decorations and lights.

Elf December 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM

No Christmas tree. Allergic

idiot hater December 13, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Fake, money saver & my spouse is allergic to the sap. Just easier with the lights already on. The only problem is storage. W/out basements in CA homes it is sometimes difficult to find the space for storage.

Dawg December 13, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Neither, I live alone now. The kids are grown and the wife died so I don’t put up a tree anymore, but when I did it was a real one. If I was still putting them up for Christmas I would probably go for a nice fake one that looks real. That way I don’t have to worry about fires, throwing it away after Christmas and shopping for a tree every year.

Mr. John December 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM

We went to artificial this year (a nice one from Costco), but I think in the future I want to do both – fake inside and then a real one in the yard that I’ll plant soon and put in a submerged confined base to keep it from growing too big. That way we can have a bit of both experiences.

Simonpure December 13, 2017 at 1:02 PM

We do real…gonna bring in the Norfolk Island Pine this weekend. It’s about 3 feet tall this year.

claytonWF December 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM

Have gotten fake for about 5 years now…I get too stressed out over putting the lights on it. Just take down from the attic and put the two pieces together. Easy peasy!!

anon December 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Real!!! Fakes end up in our landfills and try to rot, but they never will. This year we cut down our own tree in Los Gatos so we don’t feed the market of needlessly cutting down trees, transporting them and hoping they’ll sell.

Kentucky Derby December 13, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Real. We enjoy picking out a tree, and they smell nice. Real trees are genuine.

THE ANIMAL December 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM

No tree, it’s just me here so no sense in killing one…………………

Anon December 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Artificial. We have little room and this way I was able to find one just the right size, and having it prelit was a huge bonus. Easy to take down, put in the storage bag and up into the rafters until next year. We went with the better material in order to get the best ‘life-like’ appearance. A bonus is that this better material doesn’t leave a mess like the cheap trees.

When we decide to get a new one, we will RECYCLE this one… Fake trees don’t have to fill up a landfill if their owners took the time to put them in the recycle bin…

Mimi (original) December 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM

I, too, have very limited space, and found a small “ornament” tree a few years ago. No greenery but I can see all my sweet miniature glass ornaments! I get candles, etc. that have the pine or fir scent to give a whiff of Christmas!

Incognito December 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Grew up having a fake tree…

Had a real tree for many years… switched to fake after the year we had a real tree that tried out so quickly we had to take it down Christmas Day for fear of having a fire. Love the smell of a real tree.

Two years ago, I invested in a high-quality fake tree from Balsam Hill – money well-spent. Lovely tree, you’d have to touch it to see if it was real or not. I spend two hours just putting 2400 lights on my 6-foot tree, and yes, there are times I question if I am nuts or not. In the end, I love the outcome and it makes it worth it.

Real or fake… it doesn’t matter, it all in how it’s decorated.

Merry Christmas!

california native December 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM

We had a real tree every year as our boys were growing and would go as a family to pick out or cut down each year. However as the boys got older and involved in sports, etc. and the husbands shift work got challenging to get time to do this together as a family, we finally broke down and bought an artificial tree. Purchased it the day after Christmas at KMart. Original price of tree was $350 and we got it for $75.00. It is pre-lit with white lights and puts together very easily…3 pieces. I used to spend about 3 hours stringing the lights and then a couple more hours hanging the decorations. Love our artificial tree that it’s so easy and looks beautiful! I do however miss the smell of a real tree…but I have a fresh wreath on my front door that smells so good!

Dorothy December 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM

We had fake for years since my mom was allergic to the real ones. Now that the real ones cost so much I have a fake, prelighted tree.

Lambie December 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM

We had a fake tree many years ago. I had to put it together, string the lights & decorate. Every year, after putting the tree together my hands would hurt, I guess I was allergic to the fake tree. When we moved we donated it to the church at the end of the block. We have had a real tree ever since. These days we pick out the tree and put the tree up. I string the lights and the kids add the ornaments.

Fidget December 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM

I prefer no tree at all, I’m not a ba humbug I’m just not religious at all and thank all the hoopla over Christmas is ridiculous.

Me2 December 13, 2017 at 6:25 PM

We went with a Balsam Hill 9ft for pine tree. It’s the most realistic tree you can get for an artificial tree. It sets up in less than 5 minutes and is pre wired for lights.

J. December 13, 2017 at 9:37 PM

FAF

Ano December 14, 2017 at 1:58 AM

We do both . My son is autistic and loves the lights so the fake one goes up November 1st . We go get a real one December 1st. This year it’s flocked pink!

Silva December 14, 2017 at 9:08 AM

In the late 60s my mom bought a fake tree at Monkey Wards, that looked like a beautiful REAL pine tree. It fooled everyone. The only thing missing was the pine tree smell, and we remedied that with pine or cedar oil. It spent most of the year in it’s box in the garage. It was a fairly large box, full of branches of all sizes, and they were richly covered in needles. After I was grown and gone she offered it to me, and I foolishly said no. I guess at that moment I didn’t imagine where I’d put it, but I’m still kicking myself. It was the best I’ve ever seen. My mate of 30 + years always insists on a live tree, and since he’s willing to do all the sweeping up, I enjoy it. We have ornaments from my childhood onward, nothing expensive or particularly collectible, but pretty. They are really a collection of happy memories, and they are a joy to see at this time of year.

Anonamiss December 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I hate plastic trees. They cannot be recycled when they are old and worn out and contribute to more landfill waste. I bought a live tree this year and plan on planting it in my garden. It’s a smaller one but smells great and looks awesome with my vintage decorations. 🙂