UPDATE: Apparent Cardiac Arrest Leads to Fatal Solo Wreck on I-680

December 12, 2017 17:19 pm · 15 comments

A 45-year-old driver died Monday evening after suffering apparent cardiac arrest and crashing his vehicle into the center divider on northbound Interstate Highway 680 in Danville, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The solo-vehicle crash was reported on northbound Highway 680 just south of El Cerro Boulevard at 5:08 p.m.

Firefighters arrived on scene and found an unconscious man behind the wheel. He was transported to a hospital and pronounced dead, according to the CHP.

Witnesses said he was driving erratically for a moment before his vehicle struck the center divider.

The victim has been identified, but his name is being withheld pending notification of his next of kin, according to the Contra Costa County coroner’s office.

Cellophane December 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM

How incredibly sad.

Prayers to family and friends.

Palermo December 12, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Awful way to go

claytonWF December 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM

So very young…prayers and thoughts to this young man’s family.

Ashley December 12, 2017 at 6:43 PM

OMG and young too! Prayers to the family.

Schmee December 12, 2017 at 6:56 PM

What good is saving for retirement when you can drop dead tomorrow. Live large and let the banks write it off. Having kids now there’s the problem

Sam December 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM

This is heartbreaking. I’m praying for all who loved him.

Anon December 12, 2017 at 8:50 PM

I passed by this last night and got a very sad feeling came over me. It was as if I knew this person was not going home to his family last night. I saw the firefighter working so hard performing CPR on him.i have never had such an overwhelming feeling before… I cried the whole way Home Knowing how hard this would be for his family..
I am so sorry for his family.. but he had a number of people around him and taking care of him .he was not alone… I hope that helps s bit..

Doris Ward December 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt experience. It made it less painful knowing good people cared.

Anon2 December 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM

Deepest condolences to his friends and family. May he RIP. Too young.

hehaseesaw December 12, 2017 at 11:14 PM

What a tragedy! These cars with auto driving really need to come down in price for older people can afford them. They could have some detection software built in where the car can go into self drive mode and take over safely pulling him aside off the road and call 911 for you with gps location to find you.

R.I.P Dude!

anon December 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Seriously??? That’s what you have to offer on this post??

Good point December 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Not sure what the problem with this post is. I mean the cost is the cost, but given that we are ALL time bombs piloting torpedoes, it makes sense!

cb December 13, 2017 at 5:51 AM

hehaseesaw, he was 45.

TJ December 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM

Being around that age myself – 45 – reading this is a bit unnerving….. so sad. My condolences to his family and friends. I hope it isn’t anyone I know 🙁
Mayor – will you be posting the name when it is released?

Silva December 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM

This happened to my friend. she was 37.