The Water Cooler – Marijuana Dispensaries in Concord

December 11, 2017 12:00 pm · 78 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Are you in favor or against having marijuana dispensaries in Concord? Also, if you’re in favor of having them in the city, where do you think they should be allowed?

Talk about it….

Dave H December 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM

I’m in favor of having them in the city, zoned exactly as we have zoned alcohol permits of any nature.

Kenji December 11, 2017 at 9:35 PM

I agree with you.

Concord Mike December 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM

And what If Concord is the only city East of the Caldecott which permits retail sale? Do you want the addicts and users from all over the county driving and hanging out in your neighborhood?

Concord has more than its share of homeless addicts and street crime. Let some other city like Walnut Creek or Orinda take the hit on this one. Concord deserves better.

Kenji December 12, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Prop 64 passed with 60.96% of the vote here in Concord. As far as I’m concerned, the question of prohibition vs regulation is decided. Time to start working on the regulation.

ON DA December 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM

some or your supporters Dave do not realize that the cannabis plants have been all ready regulated for more than 120,000 years now.

Ricardoh December 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM

A couple of days ago a weed dispensary was broken into in San Francisco and six hundred thousand dollars of product was stolen.
The same will happen anywhere. They attract crime. Just another dumb democrat plan to worsen conditions for the public.

Fred December 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Yea like no one has ever robbed a liquor store.

Pony December 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Lets see – Super 8 liquor on Clayton was robbed I think last week. Fast n Easy on Treat was broken into in the last few weeks. Pot shops attract no more crime than liquor stores. I am not sure that Starbucks doesn’t attract more crime than a pot shop.

Concord Mike December 12, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Very true. Liquor stores are bad enough. Concord has too many all ready. Marijuana stores are much worse. Illegal at the federal level, they can only use cash.

AnonZ December 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Yes, anywhere.

Kentucky Derby December 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I’m not in favor of having marijuana dispensaries in any city. Drugs cause nothing but problems, especially crime. For those who think “tax benefits” – we’ll agree to disagree.

Fred December 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Unfortuantly prohibition didn’t work out either.

Bill December 11, 2017 at 1:34 PM

you can’t lump pot into the drug category. Drugs like meth etc.. cause nothing but problems. Your thinking is too narrow.

Dd December 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM

And what about pharmacies…. ?

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 6:37 AM

And, what do marijuana addicts go to jail for … I guess we’ll find out. My guess would be robbery, theft, burglery, anything that gets them the money to buy their drug of choice. Just like meth addicts. Yes, marijuana is a drug. Drug addicts don’t see the damage they do because … well …they’re high.

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 8:08 AM

If marijuana had any medicinal properties, my doctor would be prescribing it. He isn’t.

Cheech December 11, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Party on Wayne ! Party on Garth !

ON DA December 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM

OUTSIDE The city limits like Tim buck deplore. I don’t fund slavery.

Elwood December 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM

Could you please translate your post into English?

I don’t speak whatever language you’re using.

THE ANIMAL December 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM

As a medical marijuana user for severe sciatica I’m in favor of dispensaries
in town…………………………….

Nutcreek Frontier December 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM

No, selling the next generation down the river to fund budget deficits. I have no problem with actual medical marijuana, dispensed from say a hospital, or pharmacy, for cancer patients, but hate the stinky, scary homes in the neighborhood with sketchy people selling to 18 years old, who should be at their physical and mental peak. Oh, and of course, jumping in their cars to drive, yeah!

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM

In the 70s, my doctor told me drugs and alcohol make things ok that aren’t. Found out watching friends and relatives that he was right.

chuckie the troll December 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM

I would prefer to wait until the marijuana stores can get bank accounts. Large amounts of cash will attract thieves who might turn violent.

Location? Port Chicago Hwy near Hwy 4 so the scum from Pittsburg, Antioch, and Oakland can get there without driving through our neighborhoods.

Jay Dee December 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM

There’s plenty of scum in Concord too.

The Mamba December 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I’m in favor, I haven’t thought too much about where – I always figured it would be at the counter at liquor stores, I guess.

This Guy December 11, 2017 at 1:23 PM

cant wait they should put one next to taco bell since i always want taco bell when i have the munchies

anonymous December 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM

LOL!! Best reply

Zig Zag Man December 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM

I think they should sell it on Amazon, that would be far out man.

Jake December 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM

With drone delivery!

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 6:28 AM

It’s going to be so expensive, you won’t be able to afford it.

Original G December 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Don’t be surprised when groups of heavily armed persons do take over robberies of dispensaries and grow operations. FED rules are making legal POT a cash business which will promote criminal activity.

Ricardo December 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Like we need more stoned drivers wandering about the city, looking for the miracle cure.

nytemuvr December 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM

“I need a miracle everyday….” -GD

Potato Head December 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM

We’re here anyway, man, so like dude, uh, oh shoot I forgot what i wanted to say. Oh yeah, have you got any Doritos, man, cause like I got the munchies bad. I guess I’d better get in the car and drive like a crazed stoner to the 7-11.

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Think moobs! Gavin Newsome backed this. He wants to turn the gents into ladies.

Russel Upsomgrub December 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM

No. Nowhere. Don’t encourage illegal activity.

Michael Langley December 11, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Yes, they should be allowed, but not unlimited locations. I suggest two central locations and allow two or three separate dispensaries at each location to promote competition. My suggested locations within city limits are 1950 Parkside Drive and 1350 Galindo Street.

Forsythe December 11, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Good idea! Let the new Mayor deal with the druggies.

Anne December 11, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Yes, it should be allowed! Anywhere liquor stores are legal.

Nature Lover December 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Against it. Don’t want it in my city or my neighborhood.

Vandy December 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM

I think that it would be great to have dispenaaries anywhere there could be a liquor store.

Anonymous December 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM

No thanks.

WC December 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Put them all on Diamond Blvd. That way they can brake into a car, steal some stuff and sell it so they have pot money. We don’t want them driving all over the place and polluting.

Eirk_Patrick December 11, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Diamond Blvd is in fact my favorite place to get rid of unwanted things

NoMoreFreeRide December 11, 2017 at 3:18 PM

No, No & more No!

Benjamin Beckwireds December 11, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Yes, on Monument Blvd….across the street from CPD.

JA December 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM

Ha! A few years back a prostitution ring was busted in the apartments on Galindo across from the CPD.

Concord74 December 11, 2017 at 3:23 PM

NEGATIVE!!! No site within city limits. Maybe it should be sited in the PD lobby!

Eirk_Patrick December 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM

They should be everywhere Walgreens & CVS are allowed to be. The state already took measures to keep marijuana from your kids, now parents just need to stop the ancient lies. If you don’t let people grow in their yards then give them a place to buy

sideline December 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM

I suggest that local pharmacies take over the sale. Since marijuana is considered “medicinal”, it only makes sense to me.

Anon December 11, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Please don’t put it in a sad, depressed, mostly vacant strip mall in a residential neighborhood. They have enough problems with homeless and druggies (home robberies and vehicle burglaries). I say put it in the Concord Police Deptartment’s lobby since the Chief of Police (Guy Swanger) suggested it be in a residential strip mall. Or maybe near his home since he is so sure it’s safe.

Anon 2 December 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM

I didn’t know Swanger had such a suggestion, but I am not at all surprised. His vision for Concord is to turn us into another Berkeley. I oppose any retail shops. Purchase should be made by delivery to a valid residential address only. Smoking in parks, on streets and sidewalks should be prohibited. The stuff really stinks. I know because my neighbors smoke in their backyards and my yard smells like a skunk. If it is so harmless and good for them, why don’t they smoke in their living rooms?

Concord Mike December 12, 2017 at 11:12 AM

I am concerned some on city staff and in CPD are seeing $$$$ in tax revenue and are pushing this idea. Do they even live in Concord and do they even care about long term quality of life here?

I think one of the requirements for high level positions in Concord should be residency.

Cellophane December 11, 2017 at 4:02 PM

I’d like to see dispensary’s in Concord, perhaps in more industrial areas where casual foot traffic is not common and where security can be very tight.

Pony December 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM

I don’t use pot but in favor of dispensaries. They should be anywhere it is legal to have a cigarette shop or liquor store. With meth possession being a misdemeanor, I think those users are much more likely to commit crime than pot users.

anon December 11, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Why would you spend more money at the store and pay taxes than buying it on the street when it’s cheaper.

Schmee December 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM

People who are against marijuana are no fun to hang out with guaranteed lol. Doubtful they have a sense of humor or an open mind or know how to have fun.

CSS December 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM

No, but if so, at CPD headquarters. CA is doomed!!!

Bill Cutting December 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Yes take out the homegrowers like donut said … believe it or not those are the bigger harm since most of them don’t pay taxes on their sales and bring in traffic around your neighborhoods. There are already legal delivery services going on already for card holders. This isn’t destroying California that would be the welfare and upcoming unfunded pensions. The over taxation to overpopulation mixed in with inflation for a decade would be more of the reason CA is being noodled like an object passing thru a black hole from the immense gravitational pull of democracy’s enivitable demise.

Dorothy December 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM

Not in favor of it anywhere for recreational use.

Elvis December 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Considering that some people will do anything for money, maybe the people in Concord city government who are in favor of marijuana dispensaries, and the income from taxing it that it would bring to the city, could volunteer to prostitute themselves instead to fill the city coffers.

Fritzhugh Ludlow December 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM

A Drive Through Dispensary and the Concord Pavilion is the solution!

Poor Richard December 11, 2017 at 9:07 PM

None.
I dislike being around self-impaired people.

"World Class" December 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Concord used to be a jazz meca, with the Concord Jazz Festival, and building the pavilion, and the Concord Records. We were on our way to being “world class”, in a real way, not in a stupid “let’s have Lenner build Milpitas North on the old weapons station” kind of way. What happened to all that? Maybe if we get some more reefer moving around here then the jazz scene will come back.

Sandy G. December 12, 2017 at 12:46 AM

Unless you can’t smoke and rely on edibles.

abigjoker December 12, 2017 at 6:08 AM

I’m against it for a few things.
1st: Cities that have legalized it have seen a 200% increase in death from auto accidents. People are driving under the influence of marijuana and we have no way of testing for how high a person is.
2nd: Sicknesses due to not properly testing the effect of Marijuana on the human brain. Example would be Scromits. Too much marijuana from constant use overloads the brain and cause the individual to scream uncontrollably while vomiting.
3rd: California is trying to become Tabaco free and advertise how dangerous second hand smoke is and yet has no problems allowing people to smoke Marijuana out in the open. What about contact high? What effect does it have on young children? The illusion of making it legal is making it ok for people to smoke it every ware. The state has not made any restrictions on its use.
Finally I do not understand why it is ok to build or have a marijuana dispensary within 600 yards of a school. Think about all the trouble and potential risk it brings.
In my opinion Marijuana should not be made legal until further testing has been conducted for the recreational use, proven testing is in place to test for how impaired an individual is when under the influence of marijuana, and restrictions are in place preventing people from 2nd hand contact. (You can’t walk any ware without seeing someone lighting up in plain sight.
And I hate the stink of it.

Concord Mike December 12, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Agree.

Plenty of credible studies show the mental damage caused by long term use. It is especially harmful to young people.

couch tomato December 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM

abigjoker said, “200% increase in death from auto accidents”

What is the source of this statement?

This might interest you: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/what-marijuana-legalization-did-to-car-accident-rates/

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM

Too bad some of you here jump on every little fad that comes along. This one is going to be very hard to jump off of … and everybody with a functioning brain does … eventually.

Scoob December 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM

I was in Salem Oregon recently and noticed there were pot stores all over the place. I did not see any criminal elements in the area. They just seemed like any other store. Pot has been legalized by the voters…

Potato Head December 12, 2017 at 8:08 AM

Wonderfully articulate comment! You’ve managed to lump people who use THC medicinally in with meth users (the tweakers to whom you referred, babe). The two drugs are just a tad different, so I recommend a little research for you. And why would it be important to eliminate the home growers? Five plants provide me with all the THC I need to reduce my back pain to manageable levels and eliminate my winter SAD. I can do that every year in a small garden plot and would not destroy the lives of any children, and would not be subjected to armed robbery by crazed thieves.

Perfect location December 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM

I love the idea, and the best location is right next to Concord PD. There is that empty lot right across the street and there is that other building that used to be a Yamaha dealership.

Concord Mike December 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Bad idea. That old Yamaha building is a short walk from the BART station. Picture what will happen to the BART station and surrounding neighborhoods when addicts and pushers arrive in droves to buy their weed.

Remember, it wiould be le a legal use, so the PD location is meaningless.

Dave December 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM

Concord Mike-How many beer pushers have the liquor stores brought?

Perfect location December 13, 2017 at 10:17 AM

The PD location is significant because it deters any major crime.

The proximity to bart is great actually because then you also deter people coming from outside of concord from driving out streets while high. Also hopefully deter people from smoking and driving as they leave.

What the city would need to do is build a well lit sidewalk between the dispensary and the BART station. Put a lot of security cameras out in plain sight. And adjust CPD staffing so there is a police officer on foot that patrols that area.

Dave December 12, 2017 at 11:46 PM

What most of you naysayers are not realizing is that the potential dispensary owners want to work with the PD to keep crime down too. Why would they want to make their own businesses vulnerable? Attend the city council meetings and see what your own PD is saying about dispensaries- they are more open minded than you are. Everyone involved in bringing legitimate cannabis businesses to Contra Costa wants on be on the up and up. The new regs are rather restrictive so it won’t be just your average Joe getting a license.

joebob December 14, 2017 at 8:14 AM

so much misinformation here.
1) dispensaries are not cash only. in berkely/oakland you can use your ATM and credit cards like any other store.
2)Elvis – your doctor needs to do research that has occurred post 70s. Marijuana has been shown to have profound medical uses in pain reduction, allaying chemo therapy side effects, epilepsy, etc. You need a doctor who has kept up with the last 50 years of research.
3) Marijuana users are not ‘addicts’, and the largest demographic growth in legal states has been senior citizens. It has never proven to be a ‘gateway’ drug.
4)berkely and oakland have seen no crime increase resulting from dispensaries, and have reaped millions in sales tax.

I could go on, but don’t have all morning to do research for people to lazy or unwilling to do their own.

Medical User December 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM

I got my medical cannabis card about a year ago at the very strong urging of my doctors. I am 61 years old and when I went to the cannabis specialist, there were several other patients in the waiting room. I was the youngest one there.

There are two active main ingredients in cannabis. THC is the one that gets you high. CBD is the one that reduces pain. I don’t smoke weed but take a CBD-intensive spray. I have to travel to Berkeley to get it and, yes, I pay for it with my ATM card. It would really be nice to not have to travel so far.

There is another important aspect to the overall cannabis debate. I can easily obtain a refill of my prescription for hydrocodone with only a $5 co-pay. Purchasing the equivalent amount of cannabis costs more than 20 times that and is not covered by insurance.