5th Consecutive Winter Spare the Air Alert Issued for Tuesday

December 11, 2017 19:00 pm · 15 comments

A fifth consecutive Winter Spare the Air Alert has been issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District for Tuesday because of continued dry and calm weather conditions that are creating unhealthy air quality in the region.

The burning of wood, manufactured fire logs or any other type of solid fuel indoors or outdoors is prohibited on Winter Spare the Air days, according to the air district.

The weather conditions are creating a temperature inversion that “acts like a lid, causing unhealthy air pollution to build up,” air district officials said.

Wood smoke is the largest source of air pollution in the Bay Area during the winter and can be especially harmful to children, the elderly and those with respiratory conditions, according to the air district.

Exemptions are available for residents that do not have permanently installed heating and use woodstoves or fireplaces as their only source of heat.

First-time violators can take a wood smoke awareness class in lieu of paying a $100 ticket, while subsequent violations will result in fines of $500 or higher, air district officials said.

People can find out whether a Winter Spare the Air Alert has been issued by texting “START” to 817-57, visiting www.baaqmd.gov or www.sparetheair.org, calling (877) 4-NO-BURN, signing up for phone alerts at (800) 430-1515 or downloading Spare the Air iPhone and Android apps.

TIFOKCIS December 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM

How about a study and report on the smoke Jack blows?

Potato Head December 11, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Howling winds all day today here in the Diablo area. Monitoring data shows the AQ today all around the Bay Area was good to moderate, but they’re forecasting only moderate levels tomorrow. They dry lab the data, or fudge it outright to meet federal standards, yet their policies ignore federal standards for pollution control. Stoves that meet federal guidelines are blamed, yet diesel trucks and refineries that do not are allowed unrestricted activity. I burn my certified clean stove for 3 hours a day. It releases about 3 grams per hour (PM 2), while an older diesel truck discharges about 0,5 grams per mile. I don’t think there’s too many diesel trucks that run less than 20 miles, but I’m the problem.

BAAQMD Hater December 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM

Jack Broadbent can come and take the fireplace match out of my cold dead fingers. This is America and I will have a fire in my fireplace if I damn well choose.

Fidget December 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM

So I figure 3/4 of the bay area population never even hears about this. If I didn’t come on here occasionally I’d never even know about spare the air days. I asked 4 of my kids who are in their 20s and 30s if they knew what they were and all 3 said nope what are they the other one said Yea it’s basically a joke.
So there you have it….I’d guess not many people watch local news…

KAD December 11, 2017 at 10:56 PM

This is not a joke. It is very serious. There are certain areas of Gregory Gardens in Pleasant Hill I have to stay away from in the winter. There is so much wood burning smoke, I can not breathe. Because no one is watching the news there are a lot of ignorant people out there.

Fidget December 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM

@KAD
So people are ignorant if they don’t watch the news? I would say those are pretty good people..The NEWS is a joke nowdays, having to watch an hour of crap to hear one decent newstory.
You’d never survive living in Tahoe basin as the smoke is thick from all the wood burning and we all love it.

WC December 12, 2017 at 8:27 AM

More BS. Compared to the 1960’s the air is about immaculate.

Incognito December 12, 2017 at 8:47 AM

I am wondering what percentage of the population in the Bay Area actually uses their fireplaces. From the people I’ve talked to, most can’t be bothered because it’s a hassle to clean it out and the cost of purchasing firewood is another issue.

Also, if this is such an issue, why is it not all Counties are included in the requirement to not burn on spare the air days?

Fred P. December 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Given the slant by the “news” organizations and the left tilt of this states politics, anything generated by bureaucracies in this state is suspect.

@kad – so stay away from those areas. Why “penalize” all 9 Bay Area counties?

Fidget December 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM

It’s not such an issue but all the tree huggers and the agency want you to think so. If it was such a ongoing issue new houses being built wouldn’t have fireplaces and I heard one year Gov Brown-noser was talking about that.

Elvis December 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM

It’a a perfectly beautiful day out. The air is clean. I went out and took lots of deep breaths because indoor air pollution is much worse than the outdoor variety.

WC December 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM

If you get a fine, do you really have to pay it? Does BAAQMD have any legal authority to require payment?

They whipped everyone to a frenzy about it, that’s for sure. I drive in the south bay and seen tons of chimneys on non-spare the air days. Not one is being used. Stupid agency, stupid warning. If it’s so bad the airports, ports and only essential vehicles should be on the road.

Newellian December 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Isn’t it time for Lord Broadbent to slither back into his hole in the ground? He’s seen his shadow……

Fidget December 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM

@WC
No BAAQMD cannot legally collect fines. I’ve been to court and watched people get fines dismissed several times. The whole fine thing is a scam telling people they can’t have a wood burning fire in their house, what is this Russia rule come to California? Ca thinks they can just run all over people violating their rights.

Fred P. December 12, 2017 at 9:20 PM

@fidget… then how do they get away telling people what the fines are? If they can’t collect, them, they’re essentially lying…

Need to shut that bureaucracy down,….. permanently.