National Weather Service: Looks Like Mostly Dry Conditions Until at Least Dec.22

December 9, 2017 19:00 pm · 17 comments

The National Weather Service in the Bay Area says ‘confidence remains moderate to high that below normal precipitation will continue for much of the Western United States for the 8 to 14 day period.’

Original G December 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Good chance to work in the garden, get ready for Spring and perhaps plant cold weather crops. Checking out to 18th no Westerly onshore wind flow.

Dorothy December 9, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Dry, dryer, driest, the drought is back.

Fidget December 9, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Good!
Don’t want rain, don’t like rain!

The Grouch December 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM

Right! Lord knows we don’t need: 1) water for drinking; 2) water for agriculture; 3) water for our gardens; 4) water for our spas; 5) water for our pools; 6) water to wash our cars; 7) water for the salmon and trout that live in the rivers and lakes; 8) water to fight fires. Did I miss anything for which we don’t need water?
So, what’s your plan? Desalination for all those things for which we don’t need water? Build a pipeline and import it from the north? I think nature’s way is best. Too bad it seems to be changing. California’s going to get much warmer and drier, so I guess you win. Too bad it’s a losing hand!

Captain Bebops December 10, 2017 at 10:09 AM

We’ve already had some rain and more will probably be coming. When I lived in the Bay Area briefly from 1969-70 November and December were mild and balmy but January the monsoons hit. We need the rain though I supposed “convenient rain” would be if it just rained overnight. I recall the summer of 1991 there was rain here some mornings.

What I don’t like is this unusually cold weather. PG&E has to be licking their chops. It’s from the jet stream that also dumped snow in the southern states. Don’t need snow around here. People can’t even drive right when it’s dry.

Elvis December 10, 2017 at 7:07 AM

No, just his hair.

Fidget December 10, 2017 at 8:09 AM

We’ll just move if Ca becomes a desert wasteland from all the fires and water problems. plenty of other places to move to…

The Grouch December 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Another great plan! I’m sure all the folks into whose states and countries all 35+ million Californians try to move will just love having us there to suck up their limited resources. Study ecology much?

I’d really like to read that you’re being extremely sarcastic in your comments, but so far I’m not getting that impression. Trolling, perhaps?

Badge1104 December 10, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Normal weather cycles for this “Mediterrainian” climate here in California. Same with the fires. It’s been happening for eons. They don’t always cycle the same every year…but more like 8 to 12 year cycles…with some 200 year
Over~cycles.
I am going to enjoy this Christmas time without rain. We’ll get plenty in January.

The Grouch December 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM

The severity and frequency have increased, which should be cause for concern. I like your optimism about January, but back in 2011 it rained like crazy in late November and early December; then, Rosemary Orosco on Channel 2 weather said we were fortunate that the rain was going away. It did: for over 60 days, and the 5-year drought was on. I hope the water managers kept track reservoir levels, just in case.

Fidget December 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM

@ the Grouch
No not being sarcastic at all in comments. I don’t care what the masses of Ca do or where they go these are my concerns, never have been never will. We have moved before when we no longer liked where we were, you act like it’s some big deal to move when it’s time for a change..it’s not.

Fidget December 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM

@ Grouch
99% of the masses in Ca will stay where they are no matter what’s going on. For the 1%’ers that can just pickup and relocate on a whim, congratulations you are not controlled by outside sources to stay put where you are hell or high water you obviously have achieved your goals.
For us each area we have left we venture into a nicer area that is still enjoyable and there are hundreds if not thousands of prime nice areas left to enjoy away from problems, all it takes is money to do it…

CSS December 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM

No water for people but there will be water to grow marijuana. CA priorities are messed up. Leaving this cesspool is on the “To Do” list…

Fidget December 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM

@CSS
LOL…water for 420 growing….I’ll use my water any way I want to…

wesley mouch December 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Standing high pressure over the Great Basin due to jet stream location. Once it shifts, the rains will return.

Frank December 11, 2017 at 9:20 PM

An adult comment…how refreshing.

Dorothy December 10, 2017 at 11:04 PM

Time to start lining up rain dancers again.