The Beacon Will Shine Bright on Mt. Diablo Tonight for Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

December 7, 2017 14:00 pm · 23 comments

Mount Diablo’s Beacon, nicknamed the ‘Eye of Diablo’, will be re-lit by survivors of Pearl Harbor on Dec.7 (tonight).

The lighting is to pay tribute to the lives that were lost and honor our surviving veterans of Pearl Harbor.

“The Beacon lighting is a tribute to those individuals that lost their lives at Pearl Harbor”, says Earl ’Chuck‘ Kohler, one of the few remaining survivors in Contra Costa County.

The Beacon on Mount Diablo was originally installed and illuminated in 1928 to aid in trans-continental aviation. It’s one of the four guiding beacons installed along the west coast by Standard Oil of CA and is the only one known to still be operational.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Beacon’s light was extinguished during the West Coast Blackout, for fear it may enable an attack on California. It stayed dark until Pearl Harbor Day 1964, when Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, Commander in Chief of Pacific Forces during World War II, relit the Beacon in a commemorative ceremony and suggested it be illuminated every December 7th to honor those who served and sacrificed.

Since that day, Pearl Harbor Veterans and their families have gathered every Dec.7 to see the Beacon light shine once again.

The Beacon now shines brighter than ever since it underwent an extensive restoration process in 2013 to ensure it continues to shine for many more years.

The Beacon is lit at sunset and shines all night on this single evening each year.

What:  Save Mount Diablo, the Sons & Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and California State Parks will light the “Eye of Diablo”, the Beacon atop Mount Diablo to memorialize Pearl Harbor Day. As the number of Survivors has decreased over the years, the number of people attending the ceremony in honor of these heroes has increased, including many sons and daughters vital to organizing the service.

When: Thursday, Wednesday, Dec.7, 2017

Reception at 3:00 pm, Ceremony at 3:45 pm, Beacon Lighting at 5:00 pm

Where: The ceremony will be held in the Oak Room of the Library Building at the California State East Bay Concord Campus, 4700 Ygnacio Valley Road, Concord.

Access:  Parking is available on Campus, and parking fees will be waived for this event.  The ceremony will be held in the Oak Room (with extra seating in the Redwood Room.) See Campus map.

Wave December 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM

God Bless America!

It makes sense to me December 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM

I second that !

WC December 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Awesome! Thank you vets!

CSS December 7, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Hooyah shipmates!!!

Silva December 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM

I hope Earl J. “Chuck” Kohler will be there. I’m going to miss the ceremony this year, I’ll be celebrating my Bday at the Paramount with Sheila E this time. If Chuck is there y’all are in for a real treat.

Dorothy December 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Looking forward to seeing it blaze!

Shasta Daisy December 7, 2017 at 4:11 PM

🇱🇷✌🏼

Clayton Black Glove December 7, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Thank all the service personal that served.
Now looking INTO the mind of a crazy Leader, NK, I hope he doesn’t use this memorial date to engage in any warfare.

Shining Bright December 7, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Thank you veterans who served and sacrificed their lives. The beacon is shining bright on this clear crisp night.

JG27 AD December 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM

6:15 PM… Don’t see it. Just the radio tower obstruction lights…
AD

JA December 7, 2017 at 6:24 PM

It’s 6:20pm and I don’t see the beacon. I can see the red beacons but not the white beacon usually lit on 12/7. Is there a problem?

Father Time December 7, 2017 at 7:08 PM

It’s shining brightly. You may want to looka little to the left to see the beacon.
God Bless America.

Susan Cooke-Erskine December 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM

My Dad was a Pearl Harbor Survivor & passed away at age 89 in 2012. This a wonderful tribute to all of the Survivors & their fellow comrades. God Bless America 🇺🇸

JA December 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Ok, it’s on now….

It makes sense to me December 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM

7:28 Can not see

Dr. Jellyfinger December 7, 2017 at 7:45 PM

It’s back on now…. I tripped over the cord & broke the plug.
Some old guy fixed it, no problem!
No wonder they call them “The Greatest Generation!”

JG27 AD December 7, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Ok… all is well…it’s shining brightly Salute !!!
AD

Person December 7, 2017 at 8:19 PM

Hmmm…looking out my kitchen window and I don’t see the light. What happened? 🤔

chuckie the troll December 7, 2017 at 9:12 PM

My Uncles was a Torpedoman Second Class on the USS Jarvis. They survived Pearl Harbor only to sink with all hands lost as part of the Guadalcanal Offensive. His Flag (48 stars) and the telegram to my grandparents is on the wall.

Kirkwood December 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM

I can see the light from my bedroom window, so much brighter than the old light. It’s a fitting memorial.

ClayDen December 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM

I finally made it this year and it was great. My Father was there on the USS San Francisco. Truly the Greatest Generation.

Cowellian December 8, 2017 at 8:16 AM

The Greatest Generation, Indeed!

USS San Francisco had a remarkable history. Several years ago we attended a Memorial Day ceremony at Land’s End, where the USS San Francisco Memorial is. They have the ship’s bridge wings there, with massive holes from brutal Japanese fire at the Battle of Guadalcanal.

ClayDen December 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM

@Cowellian

I have been there a few times, including Memorial Day ceremonies with my Father before he passed away. He was on the San Francisco during the Guadalcanal battle, which is the only battle where we lost two admirals.