The Water Cooler – Theft from Your Home or Your Vehicle

December 6, 2017 12:00 pm · 48 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Have you ever had something stolen from your vehicle or your home? If so, what was it, and was the person who stole the item(s) captured?

Talk about it….

Roz December 6, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Been very lucky. Nothing like that has happened to me.

Suzanne December 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Car stolen and purse stolen on separate occasions. No one caught. Neither case was even investigated.

The Professor December 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Unfortunately yes, but not recently.
In 2000, my wife had her window smashed at work (a church!) and lost a duffel bag of sweaty work out clothes. It was more of a nuisance cleaning up the glass. No insurance settlement because of a $500 deductible.
In 2001, my car was broken into at WC Bart. Broke the door lock, destroyed the steering column, stole a change purse from the arm rest. They did leave a flashlight behind that I still have. Damage was approximately $2,000 and I at the $500 deducible. The Bart cop said that my car was the third crappy mustang that they tried to steal from WC Bart that day!
2004, my car was broken into while parked in my driveway. They stole the change, a set of keys that wife left in the car, and the front plate of my stereo. No insurance here but we had to change our locks and get a new fob. Ate around $500 from that crap (fobs are ridiculously expensive).
2015-2017, had some mail thieves that kept hitting our street in Clayton. Didn’t lose anything of value there, but it was a royal pain. They finally caught the guy (it was reported on Claycord!) and he’s actually doing time for the theft and assorted parole violations. Thanks Officer Pike!

Oh yeah December 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Quite a few years ago, was on a long road trip. Stopped to look at the scenery and some waterfalls. Came back, and the trunk had been broken into. They took a big paper bag of stuff. Fortunately, it was just the trash from our trip. We were waiting to find a trash barrel to dump it in. 😉

Johnnywoop December 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Yes, wife’s wallet was stolen out of her purse a few years ago. Charges on 2 credit cards were fortunately covered by the banks. Reported to Concord and WC PD. Nothing they could really do. Nothing they wanted to do.
Parents had a set of golf clubs stolen out of their garage. Called PH PD and reported. The officer (very nicely) said that there isn’t much that can be done due to Prop 47. Even if they found the scum who did it, it would be a ticket and a notice to appear in court.

California is a haven for scum. No longer the golden state. No wonder there is a mass exodus of people fleeing the scum, horrible environment, incredibly high taxes, gas, cost of living and over burdened systems.

TIFOKCIS December 6, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Yes but it was my fault for having desirable items, having more than, leaving those items unattended, and the long list of how to blame the owner.

Suzanne December 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM

We shouldn’t have to take the blame. Remember the days when people could keep their homes unlocked, and the keys in their cars while they went shopping? Now it’s all our faults we get victimized.

Elvis December 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM

Blaming the victim gives the people who steal from others rationalization for continuing to be the scum in our society. It’s not their fault they can’t help themselves from stealing from you … it’s yours.

Geezer December 6, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Twice. Many many years ago, I worked in SF and drove a VW into the city everyday. One day I came out for lunch to my parked VW and found a note on the seat from a police officer who caught a guy popping the wing window on the VW and stealing my brief case. After the guy plead guilty and my brief case was no longer evidence, I got it back. Then about 4 or 5 years ago, I had my the lock cut off my locker at 24 hour fitness in San Ramon, and my wallet, credit cards, watch and money were stolen. I reported it to the SR Police. About 3 weeks later they caught the 2 guys who did it and I got a summons to appear in court as a witness. They plead out and the probation department made them pay me back about $300 at $5-$20 a month until it was paid back. It’s a whole other story about how they caught the guys…. Apparently they were hitting several health clubs and country clubs in the San Ramon/Danville area. So 2 beat cops heard that they had just hit one of the country clubs on their radio, so they played a hunch and thought they may try to hit the 24 hour fitness again next. So the went over the and arrested them as they pulled up.

Dawg December 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM

In the 70’s someone stole the 8-track from my Chevy.
In the 80’s I had a roommate that stole some stuff, I was gone on vacation and when I returned the roommate was gone and so was my VCR and a coin collection. The smell of death was strong and there were a million flies in the house. I thought for sure I was going to find a dead roommate in his bedroom, instead I found a half cooked turkey in the oven covered with maggots.
I used a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the files and cleaned out the oven. The cops found my VCR at the pawn shop that used to be on Salvio Street, but I never got the coin collection back. The worst part was, I had to pay the pawn ticket to get my VCR back and VCR’s were expensive in those days.

THE ANIMAL December 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Years ago I caught some dirtbag siphoning gas out of my ’73 Monte Carlo
needless to say he needed extensive dental work after I was done with
him………………….

Suzanne December 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Claycord – I like the reply button… now we don’t have to type “@ so and so”.
thanks

Dawg December 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM

I didn’t even notice it, thanks for pointing it out.

marinemom December 6, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Yep my house and he was caught my dog took a huge chunk out of his hide.

Cowellian December 6, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I love a happy ending!

MoJo December 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Had a Bear rip into the side of our tent and steal a daypack that had a small bag of trail mix. Found the demolished pack 200 feet away in a creek bed. $300 dollar tent and the pack were destroyed.

Kentucky Derby December 6, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Foonman December 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Stole my new car…….by the time I got it back…….it cost the insurance co. almost the price of the car to repair it. I understand things have changed now if the repair is 65% or so to repair, they now total the car. I wholesaled that car upon return…………….

Future Catlady December 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM

All of the above…:(

Had my house broken into and my things were never recovered.
Had my stereo ripped out of my car and never recovered
Had my car stolen from in front of my house. It was recovered a week later missing my stereo.

anonible December 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Four bikes, two sets of scuba equipment, a starter, radio/tapedeck, tool box, laundry soap, more. The condo complex sold blocks of property that in turn were let out to Section 8’ers. All of our fun stuff stolen while we were at work.

That was the beginning of my long journey to conservatism. We gave our lives to work in order to earn our way. Druggies steal and party while laughing at our foolishness. The latest insult is, illegals being handed my tax dollars, free housing, food and college. While labeling me a racist nazi for not accepting the inevitable.

Lambie December 6, 2017 at 10:10 PM

Laundry detergent? Gee whiz

Anonible December 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Lol. Yes. Laundry soap. The insult of it keeps my fire burning for zero tolerance. I have known up close and personal a few freeloaders disguised as addicts and victims of a disability. They laugh at honest and good people. They could sell your own garbage back to you.

The one thing I still miss is our anniversary axe. A really cool relic we found on a junk truck while camping on our first aniversary.

Chicken Little December 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM

I had my truck broken into in Oakland (imagine that) once. There was nothing of value in it, so they basically just dumped all the garbage out of my glovebox.

I caught a guy in my sister’s car once, trying to steal her stereo. I dragged him out of the car and held him for the police, while his accomplice drove off and left him, lol.

Concordejet December 6, 2017 at 5:27 PM

My heart was stolen

Jojo Potato December 6, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Had my Jeep stolen from West Oakland BART. I walked over to police HQ to report. Officer gets out a form and starts filling out the report. He knew the street address my heart, bad sign. A couple days later it was found. Took BART to Coliseum and pretty much ran to the tow yard as the sun was setting. The place was surrounded by fence topped with razor wire. The nice lady told me the car was actually at the other yard which was near Mac Arthur and if I just waited outside one of their trucks would come and take me over there. Then she closed the huge metal door and secured several locks, with me outside. Did I mention the sun was setting?

The truck came after a little while and I got in. Seems he had a call to handle and after that we would go to the other yard. Over by Lake Merritt we stopped and I waited while a guy got arrested and his car hooked up to the tow truck. Ah, Oakland.

Then into the tow yard. The Jeep wouldn’t start. We looked under the hood and the battery was gone. Since the tow guy and I were good buddies by this time he helped me push my car into a legal parking spot on the street. BART back to WC.

Next day, walked over to auto parts store, bought a battery and got on BART. Had a couple tools in a paper bag and sat with the battery on my lap to Mac Arthur. Feeling pretty silly. Walked over to my car, plopped in the battery and the car started right up. No need to remember the key because the steering column was trashed and I could just stick my finger in the hole and slide the switch. I said thank you to the tow guy who was now an even better friend and drove home. Did finally get the column and lock fixed but not needing a key was pretty convenient in the meantime. Any early form of keyless lock I guess.

That’s my story.

Idiots of Concord Blvd December 6, 2017 at 5:44 PM

We the people of Concord Blvd area 3300 block are fed up with the morons that use merging right lane to pass people that have been waiting in left lane the right lane is a merge lane and not to wait until last minute to cut off residents of their own street do you drive like that on your own street morons ? The right lane is not a slingshot to pass wait your turn to merge and don’t be aggressive driving when you are the merger moron . Oh yeah and use the damn turning signals that came equipped on your p.o.s

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 6:46 PM

That area needs to be busted down to 20mph or less. Same with Treat blvd. north bound after Mel’s diner.

Chicken Little December 6, 2017 at 7:03 PM

Finally, a poster who lives up to his/her name.

Keep all three barrels up December 7, 2017 at 8:12 AM

I couldn’t agree more. We live close by and continuously hear horns blowing and people yelling profanities at each other every day.Learn how to use the zipper system people.

The Professor December 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM

So they stole your right of way?

This comment is why the Mayor has a “Talk about whatever” section once per week. Give your screed a try there and see if anyone cares.

anonymous December 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Yes, out of my vehicle….a “friend” took items in the middle of the night and went on to use my identity for years to buy cars, rent apartments, etc. all without me knowing until I tried to move to a new apartment and found the lovely, HORRIBLE credit record she had created for me. Should have had the b!tch prosecuted to the full extent, but found out so many years after the original theft.

Shygurl December 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Once I had my car broken into, driver side window. Tossed everything in my glovebox, there was a phone in console, it was on the front seat. Didn’t take anything, I was amazed because there was a nice diamond ring in the ash tray. Was still there.cqlled cpd, acted like it was just too much trouble to come out. Another time someone took my license plate….reported it, officer came by….nothing happened.

lindoda December 6, 2017 at 6:44 PM

3 times over the last 10 years. We have a work vehicle. Finally installed security cameras. Low priority crime so very little support from the police community, however, costs us many 100’s of dollars per incident, time lost from work and time to make reports with little results. A real shame for a local small business.

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM

Your reports aren’t in vain. With proper documentation many private insurance companies will take your case and there is a reward fund setup for such an event. The statute of limitations do not expire. Don’t believe every thing you hear these days.

Silva December 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Where do I start?

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Just the facts Maam.

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 7:41 PM

I’ve had males on several occasions casing out my vehicles when I’ve left my daughter waiting in the car for a few moments while I was frequenting a store.

Needless to say extremely unnerving for my daughter and self.

The perps were not detained and case CLOSED.

Thieves suck December 6, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Had a radar detector stolen once, and had my car stolen out of my driveway. Both in Pleasant Hill. Found the car in Pacheco parked in the middle of the street. Tweakers left other people’s stolen stuff in my car. Turned it in to the cops who traced it back to the owners. Thieves got busted a week later after a short chase, and sent to jail.

Had another worm steal my stereo and we demanded the police take prints although they did not seem to want to. Thankfully this paid off. The little turd was caught and had to pay us back per court order.

Dorothy December 6, 2017 at 9:17 PM

That’s why my family and I moved away from SF in 1983. Culprit was caught but pleaded guilty when he found out I was in court to identify my stuff.

Ancient Mariner December 6, 2017 at 10:21 PM

My Hudson Wasp broke down in the outskirts of Sacramento some decades ago.
Like this, but not as nice:

When I got back to it someone had stolen the battery.
It was 6V, not 12. I expect they were disappointed when they tried to use it.

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Let's See Now December 7, 2017 at 3:53 AM

When I was still living at home back in 1988, my mom was at work and my dad was at home. My dad was gone for 1/2 hour in the morning and in that 30 minutes, our house got broken into; the thieves crawled through a small bathroom window. The went through my parents room and took my grandparents watches and other jewelry, then then went into my room and went through all my stuff.

In the 90s, my friends and I were in San Jose at a club. When I came out to my car I noticed that there were finger prints on my window (someone tried to push the window down or something, but I didn’t think anything of it (didn’t realize that someone did get in my car and took a credit card out of my walnut — left my purse under the seat — didn’t know better. A few days later, the credit card company called me asking about the large charges on my credit card. The charges were made at Nordstrom’s in Palo Alto, I was living in Concord. I said that I don’t shop at Nordstrom’s and especially not in Palo Alto; the credit card company covered it, but I had to go to SJPD to file a report. Eventually SJPD did catch the thieves.

Elvis December 7, 2017 at 7:04 AM

A huge branch off of a Plum tree in my backyard just disappeared one day while I was gone. A large Oak branch I was going to cut up for firewood stolen from the backyard while I was gone. They would have had to make entry through my locked garage. And, the kicker … the Clayton Police came to my door one day asking if I had security cameras because they said a package had been stolen off a neighbors porch. I’m sure they know who it is that is trespassing on my property while I’m gone. It would be funny, except it isn’t. If they think they are being helpful, they aren’t. They are treating me as if I were a lesser member of the species without rights or privileges they certainly enjoy fully. How would they like it if I did the same to them? The lack of respect and empathy they have shown me indicates an arrogant, self-centered obscessional thinking that they think know what is best for me better than I do. Oh right … and they’re part of that group who blame the victim to rationalize their scum-sucking criminal behavior. I’ve been called it before by this group and I’m sure they consider me a real b**ch for saying anything here about it. Clayton is corrupt beyond belief if these things are allowed to happen here and condoned by the Police and city government. I hate what this town has become. Disgusting.

Elvis December 7, 2017 at 7:29 AM

In short, if it doesn’t belong to you, keep your effing hands off of it.

Silva December 7, 2017 at 11:07 AM

The first time I can recall, my mom noticed her clock radio was gone from her nightstand one day, and I looked for my radio and it was gone too. A couple of weeks later I mentioned it to the guy I was dating, because it was so weird. They were very basic old radios, and not another thing was out of place. A couple more weeks passed, and I got a letter at summer camp from my mom saying she’d come home from work to find them in a brown paper bag in the front walkway when she came home from work. When I saw the guy I was dating again I told him, and he said that he’d told the two local bad boys to give them back. It was pretty funny.

WC resident December 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM

I think the guy you were dating took and returned the clocks. Did he have any other fetishes that you wish to share with us?

couch tomato December 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Rims stolen from my car parked right out in front of my condo. Came out in the morning and found my car balancing on two cinder blocks. Must have been pros because they did not set off my car alarm which was sometimes triggered by trucks driving by. Insurance replaced rims (minus deductible). Car now has wheel locks.

jjshawk December 7, 2017 at 10:05 PM

F___ thieves! They deserve to be cut in half! These c##nts make bad choice, after bad choice, and in the end, they forget how to be decent human beings, and most almost never make things right with the people they screw over. Growing up with a few people that had pissed their lives away, I have seen the progression.

I have had stolen; a nice bike, and a car audio unit, both of which were locked up. The bike still pisses me off to this day. The car audio system was a cheap P.O.S., don’t miss it that much. However, my car’s electrical system was never the same, kept blowing fuses, some things stopped working all together. Again, F___ thieves, I don’t care about their sad, sad, stories.