DIRTY DINING – Dozens of Cockroaches Found Inside American Kitchen Restaurant in Lafayette

December 5, 2017 15:33 pm · 32 comments

American Kitchen, located at 71 Lafayette Circle in Lafayette was closed this week due to a vermin infestation.

The Contra Costa County Health Department released their observations to Claycord.com. They say live cockroaches, along with nests, were found under the food preparation table.

Other findings from the routine inspection are shown below.

• Minor violation – Plumbing; fixtures, back flow devices, drainage
  • Minor violation – Food contact surfaces: clean and sanitized
  • Minor violation – Equipment, utensils and linens: storage and use
  • MAJOR violation – No insects, rodents, birds or animals present
  • MAJOR violation – Time as a public health control; procedures & records
  • Minor violation – Floors, walls and ceiling: built, maintained and clean
  • Minor violation – Nonfood contact surfaces clean
  • Minor violation – Equipment/utensils-approved; installed; clean; good repair; capacity (e.g. sinks, CO2tanks, etc)
  • Minor violation – Proper hot and cold holding temperatures
  • Minor violation – Thermometers provided and accurate

UPDATE: The restaurant has been reinspected by the Health Department and is back open.

RELATED STORIES:

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Badge1104 December 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Claycord! You`re ruining our appetite to eat out! 😉 but we thank you for the information as it is important. I think we’re going to eat at home tonight!

Me Say December 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM

HaHa my thoughts too 😉

Carissa December 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM

This is all gross AF but ***thank you*** to the health department inspectors and the good citizens that are reporting unhealthy dining conditions. Y’all the real MVPs.

Shoulda Coulda December 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM

How many home kitchens would be
shut down if they were inspected?

Anne Noise December 6, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Sorry, but how many home kitchens have cockroaches?!

NunYa December 5, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Are they closed for “remodeling” as well? LOL

hill December 5, 2017 at 4:45 PM

we should lower our standards, getting hard to find an open restaurant.

SmartA December 5, 2017 at 5:00 PM

But I thought there are no vermin allowed in Lafayette.

Deplorable December 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Who’s working in the kitchens?

Lambie December 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM

“MAJOR violation – No insects, rodents, birds or animals present”

I thought it was a good thing to not have insects, rodents, birds or animals present. LOL

Drvrdadca December 6, 2017 at 8:24 AM

I’ve been wondering the same thing – How is not having vermin a violation?

Dorothy December 5, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Eeek! It’s getting worse out there. Guess I’ll make a trip to the frozen food section at the store and cross my fingers.

chuckie the troll December 5, 2017 at 6:43 PM

I’m starting to get concerned that my favorite restaurants will be closed for Christmas!

BTW- Anyone in Claycord ever smoke a roach?

Frito Bandito December 5, 2017 at 6:46 PM

La Cuca Rocha, La cuca Rocha!

Me December 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM

The owner of that place is a d-bag. To be fair, It is in a super old building, not that this is an excuse, but it does make maintenance a lot more work. But you have to be willing to do the work if you are going to feed people.

Julia December 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM

out of curiosity…I took at look at the yelp reviews for this place. I have been curious about it since I’ve driven by a few times..it’s been a handful of different restaurants in at least a dozen years. Anyway, the owner (Victor) sounds like a right d. bag…he obviously does not know customer service, is argumentative with customers when they have food that is subpar, etc etc. The reviews are quite revealing as to what type of dude runs this place. Not surprised at the cockroach reveal here. He is one himself.

mike favar December 5, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Thanks for posting this valuable information.

Ken December 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Oh.
My.
God.

We ate there on Saturday.
(bbbaaarrrffff)

Cdm95 December 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Someone should send those health inspectors to cold stone in Pleasant Hill. Saw a bunch of cockroaches there last month walking near the toppings and floor and even the cold counter where they mix your ice cream. Really disgusting and we walked out the moment we saw that. Apparently it’s been going on for a few months maybe longer

Me Say December 5, 2017 at 10:30 PM

Perhaps you should’ve called the CCCHD *headsmack*

Mel December 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM

Who do you think sends the inspectors? They usually operate via report! Call it in!

WC resident December 5, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Cockroaches? I’m glad something was picking up the dirt in that place.

@Cdm95 #16 – report the cockroach sighting at http://cchealth.org/eh/complaint-form.php

Elvis December 5, 2017 at 10:35 PM

It’s becomming a barf-o-mania out there.

Snicklefritz December 6, 2017 at 3:51 AM

My job at the Marriott at the Berkeley Marina when I was 16 doing room service was to wipe all the Roach spots off the silverware when I was not running trays of food up to Honeymooners and the Bromances.

Papa roach December 6, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Don’t know this guy but roaches are unfortunately very common. They get imported into restaurants from a variety of places and if you’re not constantly vigilant, you will quickly experience an infestation. More restaurants, grocery stores, big retailers and apartment buildings than you would expect have experienced this. You have to have an exterminator scheduled on a regular basis or you’re going to have an issue. I’m not an exterminator but I’m in the food biz and I know the little critters get brought in by employees in their personal belongings (jackets, lunchbox etc) and shipments from vendors (on the pallets).

There’s really no excuse for them but you have to have traps out at all times ready to declare war the instant you catch one or it’s over.

Health inspectors can give restaurants time to make corrections for a lot of violations but not for roaches. Instant death for a food business.

NinjaNurse December 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM

How disgusting. I used to eat at New Lim’s Garden in Concord. Never got sick from their food. But one time when it was raining their ceiling was leaking drops of water onto my head so we had to move to a different table. Red Flag! It’s just safer to eat at home…especially if you have food allergies and the waiters don’t even understand what you’re saying.They also had tons of boxes stacked up behind their aquarium. That will cause vermin to hide out in there for sure. Gross.

Shelly December 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM

The restaurant is still open! What’s going on here?

CLAYCORD.com December 6, 2017 at 8:28 AM

The restaurant was reinspected and reopened by the health department.

Mel December 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM

If people would stop going there, it would never re-open. People choose to not be informed….

Julia December 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM

I visited yelp out of curiousity about this place…after reading the first page of reviews (all I could stomach) with a lot of comments from customers about the behavior of the owner (Victor) in response to concerns about food…and his replies were nauseating. Rude, condescending. He sounds like he should not be in a service business. So…glad I read all this on that place. reading the yelp reviews, posting a review there of my own and then getting a response on yelp from Victor! who replied that his place was open, and the health inspection was because a disgruntled worker had revenge…all of this leads me to think that this restaurant is nasty. not worth a single visit to see if the food that day, is edible. well rounded ick and ewww. Owner, food, conditions. nope.

Hugh December 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Thanks HD. I’m glad we have a functional team there. If it were up to the right wing folks on this board, we should just let 100s of people get food poisoning so the free market will dictate that nobody should eat there.

ON DA December 6, 2017 at 6:42 PM