It’s 7 p.m. on Thanksgiving, Time to Light Up Mr. Christmas’ House on Olive Dr. in Concord

November 23, 2017 19:00 pm · 26 comments

Happy Thanksgiving, and welcome to the Christmas holiday season.

Mr. Christmas, who passed away in October at the age of 87, would light up his house on Olive Dr. in Concord every Thanksgiving at 7 p.m. for 36-years to kick off the holiday season.

This year, his house is dark, but his spirit is still shining bright.

It’s 7 p.m., so in an effort to keep his tradition alive, click ‘play’ on the video above and enjoy his show.

RELATED STORY: Bruce ‘Mr.Christmas’ Mertz Has Died – Longtime Concord Resident Had Spectacular Christmastime Light Show for 36-Years

Mr. Christmas fan November 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM

I wanted to think of a way to honor Mr. Christmas so I asked the city of Concord if they would consider dedicating the tree lighting to him this year. They thought it was a great idea and are going to say a few words about him during the ceremony.

Cindy Clark November 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM

We talked about Mr. Christmas at our Thanksgiving table. He will never be forgotten in our home and hearts!

Nancy November 23, 2017 at 7:55 PM

We all miss u. RIP

Anon November 23, 2017 at 8:16 PM

😢

Dorothy November 23, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Thank you for the video. I hope you will run it every year.

Anonymous November 23, 2017 at 8:48 PM

In the spirit. RIP Mr.Christmas. Thank you Mayor so kind and thoughtful.

claytonWF November 23, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Mr. Christmas will be missed…so enjoyed driving to his beautifully decorated house on Olive Drive every year. RIP, Mr. Christmas.

Santa's elf November 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM

no relatives, children, new home owners to keep it alive?

Anonymous trucker November 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Thank you for this post. I drove by his home Sunday night. While it was nice to see the star in the window, it was sad that it’s no longer lit up… Not even a porch light. Thank you Mr Christmas for the many years of joy. My family & I miss you. RIP

Silva November 23, 2017 at 9:33 PM

Thank you, Claycord.

Pittstop Penny November 23, 2017 at 9:56 PM

One year at band camp I ran around without clothes and sang in the rain.

Vicki Anderson November 23, 2017 at 10:31 PM

We reminisced tonight about how wonderful it was to have Mr Christmas down the street from our house

Taxpayer November 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM

RIP … Great family tradition driving by his place. Gonna miss it.

Just a thought November 24, 2017 at 7:56 AM

They should donate (or sell) the lights and decor to a local store or willing party to display in his honor and to continue the tradition.

just wondering November 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM

He touched so many lives, he will be greatly missed

Concord 1970 November 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Grew up down the street
Remember going by his house in the early 1980’s
I remember his blue Oldsmobile with the vanity
License plate saying MR XMAS

Ano November 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM

We should have a best holiday house In claycord award I’m his honor

navmilvet November 24, 2017 at 10:44 AM

I can still faintly remember over 20 years ago when I was at his house talking to him out front and he found out I was Navy vet and had electrical experience, he took me into the garage control room and showed me all the switching and timers and electrical engineering he had done to power everything and keep the lights in sync with the music. Must have spent over an hour that night talking about everything. Very impressive back then. Each year he would continue to take me in there to show me new things he had come up with.
He is missed…RIP “MR XMAS”

Valerie November 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM

Thank You Claycord for posting this? Went to Mr.Christmas’s house many years. Always put some $$$ in his container on the fence. It always brightened my Christmas. Got me in the mood. He will be greatly missed. God Bless Mr.Christmas. R. I. P.

Jo Ann Jo Ann November 25, 2017 at 12:25 AM

Oh yes, we always brought people, mainly neighborhood kids to see the the wonder of all those lights Mr Christmas always came out and we always put money in the box to keep this spirit of Christmas alive. I am glad they will honor him at the lighting ceremony down town. He won’t be forgotten.

Ano November 25, 2017 at 1:17 AM

Mr mayor , we need a best in claycord Award in his honor.

Ano November 25, 2017 at 1:18 AM

Mr mayor , we need a best in claycord Award in his honor. Houses can be submitted then we vote . Winner gets bragging rights .

Bringit November 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Lived here in WC since 1970 never heard of this house.

Michelle Kalehzan November 26, 2017 at 1:33 AM

Mr. Christmas – aka Bruce Mertz – was my great-uncle, and he was dearly loved and will be truly missed by all of our family. As a little girl I grew up in South Dakota just like my Uncle Bruce. He would visit us during his leaves from the military, and I have to say we thought he was the most fun uncle in the whole family. He was always filled with joy and just waited for the opportunity to make anyone laugh. I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful uncle who brought so much joy to his community, his family in California and South Dakota, and his daughters and grandchildren in England. He had a special way of bringing people together and helping us see the good in our world. Thank you for all these beautiful comments! The family is deeply touched. Until we see you again, we love you always, Mr. Christmas!

Melanie November 27, 2017 at 7:47 AM

There are so many nice stories in this post. Thanks everyone for sharing! Mr Christmas made all of our lives a little happier. We went to see his house every year and always appreciated his efforts for the community. I think it’s wonderful that Concord is going to honor him at the city’s tree lighting ceremony! Well deserved!

Elvis November 27, 2017 at 12:36 PM

There was a short video documentary (about 15 minutes) made about Mr. Mertz, a perfectly delightful man, and his Christmas gift to the community. You can find it here:

“Mr. Christmas” — https://vimeo.com/37746891