QUESTION: Have You Ever Gone Out to Eat for Thanksgiving Dinner?

November 23, 2017 16:00 pm · 30 comments

eating

Today marks the 228th annual Thanksgiving Day holiday.

QUESTION: Have you ever gone out to eat for Thanksgiving dinner? If so, when & where?

Cellophane November 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM

As far as I’m concerned, eating out on Thanksgiving or any other holiday is the only way to go.

Dawg November 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Once, years ago. I was in Reno and went looking for a buffet that wasn’t serving turkey because I can have turkey anytime and when I eat out I like something different. In those days the buffets in Reno had good food at a very reasonable price. After checking every popular casino and all-you-can-eat restaurants I had to settle for turkey because every one of them was serving the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Charlie November 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Yes, a couple years ago to Claim Jumper and had a wonderful prime rib dinner with all of the trimmings. They gave choices of prime rib, ham or turkey. Great service and good food. Hate cooking turkey dinner.

Julio November 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM

No Way!

Lambie November 23, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Yes, one year we went to Hudson’s in Oakland, now closed. It was.very good.

Bringit November 23, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Yes and after doing a home get together this year we are going back to eating out. The heck with cooking up all that food, cleanup, prep and so on. No thanks! So I’d much rather go out or to someone else’s house and leave. Easy peasy.

MeCrazyWoman November 23, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Went out for dinner today, 1st time on Thanksgiving. Kitchen demo started on Monday. Without a kitchen I had to eat out. Went to Stanford’s in Walnut Creek. Nice dinner 😊

Concord74 November 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Yes – blasphemy!!

Went to CLAIM JUMPER and was provided a great choice of entrée. My wife has no interest to cook and I did not want to cook this year. So, we went to CLAIM JUMPER and the service was great but not so the food. The turkey was like what you see when it is compressed in a roll. It tasted good but strange.

Pittstop Penny November 23, 2017 at 7:35 PM

Yes we eat Chinese out every year. We go ice skating on the pond on our farm. It’s Thebes eat just relaxing and taking with our family.

Pittstop Penny November 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Yes we eat Chinese out every year. We go ice skating on the pond on our farm. It’s nice to eat and just relax and talking with our family.

CalOldBlue November 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Was in Boston on a business trip about three years ago over Thanksgiving week. Had a memorable meal on Thanksgiving in an Italian/Seafood restaurant in the North End, followed by a walk back to the hotel in lightly-falling snow. Hint: if you have to fly during that period, fly on Thanksgiving Day; not nearly as manic as the days before and after.

Star Lord November 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Yep. Went to Vic Stewart’s in Walnut Creek with the girlfriend (it’s also her b-day today) and her parents earlier this evening. Food was delicious.

RunnerDope November 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM

I disagree that today is the 228th annual Thanksgiving Day holiday.

The holiday was celebrated intermittently from 1789 until it was made an annual event by Lincoln in 1863.

KAD November 23, 2017 at 10:28 PM

One year yes. The Thanksgiving after the 1989 earthquake. We were driving to Nashville from San Francisco. I was moving out of state. The earthquake scared me that much. We stopped in some small town for the night and there were no restaurants of any kind open. I had dinner out of a vending machine. It was a really bad experience.

Today was wonderful. I cooked for family. The grandson was here which made it extra special. Very thankful for everything.

J. November 23, 2017 at 11:31 PM

Of course.
Jack’s in Pleasant Hill,
The Berkeley Inn. But, normally, no.

I saw that Urban Plates and Zio Fraedo’s were open for TG dinner. Fraedo’s had Prime Rib for $60. McDonald’s and Jack-in-the-Box were perennially open too, as was the Taco Bell/KFC (until 4 p.m.) in Oakland on Telegraph Avenue.

Gary Benton November 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM

No. Have been blessed to be able to have a Thanksgiving meal with family and friends in our home or the home of a relative or family friend.

Publius November 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM

Claremont Hotel…..very good

Be gentle November 24, 2017 at 3:48 AM

We did the take out Thanksgiving at Black Angus (very good) and take out one year at Black Bear Diner. (Not so good) We had to do take out because our friend was criticaly ill with COPD! So we brought the Thanksgiving home to him!

Silva November 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

My mom raised me alone and was a salaried worker at a demanding, often life or death job that was not 9-5, and to say cooking wasn’t really her thing, is putting it nicely, though she had her moments. Yes we did, and some were very memorable. Had Duck a L’Orange in a fancy place in JL Square once, We went to Vallejo for a dinner hosted by some famous chef du jour which mustn’t have been that memorable. We went to the Nut Tree in Vacaville for a wonderful meal. Then we figured out there were recent immigrants establishments that didn’t close on Thanksgiving (and Christmas). Now I have descendants who expect a family dinner with all the trimmings, which is a good opportunity to get them here.

Kentucky Derby November 24, 2017 at 10:06 AM

No, but I understand why others do. If you don’t have family and friends in the area. Or you don’t like to cook, or just looking for the convenience of a restaurant. Thank goodness for restaurants that are open. Everyone should have a place to go and a nice meal on Thanksgiving.

The Mamba November 24, 2017 at 11:24 AM

No, there’s a couple of people that do and they’ve been carefully disinvited over the years.

Justconcordperson November 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Went to Clairmont two years ago as someones guest. Great traditional faire, plus a salmon that was awesome. That being said, my daughter in laws smoked salmon appetizer with accurements yesterday was better.

Went to Grand Island Mansion years ago with Husband when we were alone for thanksgiving. We got all dressed up and it was a lovely drive up the river and great dinner. Came home and had some sweet potatoe pie a neighbor had made for us. Yum.

Dorie November 24, 2017 at 2:22 PM

Yes 2 years in a row now

JustMe November 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Yes! As family has dwindled in the area, and everyone has moved out of state, there’s just two of us now, so we’ve gone out the last few years.

In the past, we’ve gone to Black Angus, which has been pretty good during Thanksgiving– usually for steak, but because it’s closed (apparently temporarily, even though there’s a for sale sign in front of the parking lot), this year we went to Claim Jumper and it was absolutely amazing! I’ve never had a great turkey diner in a restaurant until now. I’m always weary anytime is mass-made, but I did go early, so that wasn’t the case yesterday. My only criticism of Claim Jumper is that they give you too much food.

Shiloh November 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Never, ever have. Lucky to have a huge, wonderful meal with our huge extended family every year. Others who aren’t so lucky are always welcome, too, which is fun 🙂

Sue November 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Willie Birds in Santa Rosa, was delicious!

8066 November 24, 2017 at 7:54 PM

A couple of years went to Brennan’s in Berkeley in the old SP Station. It was and is excellent all of the time.

jjshawk November 24, 2017 at 11:31 PM

Yes. I went to Hard Rock Cafe, Lake Tahoe. The turkey was dry as f___, but had the best flavor ever. Also, I did spend a Thanksgiving in Cozumel, Mexico, great experience, great food/drinks, great people!

Regular Guy November 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM

My son previously worked at a high-end restaurant that was open for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, it was an all hands on deck situation and it was not optional to be there. So, he had to give up his Thanksgiving so that the company could make a few extra bucks. (By the way, there was no shift differential for working this holiday)

94521 November 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Maybe when I’m old and no longer have any family. Otherwise, NO!