Air District Asks Bay Area Residents to Not Burn Wood Today

November 23, 2017 14:00 pm · 14 comments

(by Janis Mara) – The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is asking local residents not to burn wood in fireplaces and woodstoves today to prevent air quality from becoming unhealthy.

“We are asking residents in the Bay Area to help keep air pollution low this Thanksgiving by doing one significant thing – not burning wood indoors or outdoors,” Jack Broadbent, executive officer of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, said in a statement.

Stagnant weather conditions in the Bay Area are trapping wood smoke and fine particulate pollution close to the ground, degrading the region’s air quality, according to the agency.

A Winter Spare the Air Alert is not in effect, and wood burning is not illegal, the agency said. However, it is strongly discouraged.

Like cigarette smoke, wood smoke contains fine particles and carcinogenic substances that make the air unhealthy, according to the agency.

Wood smoke is a major source of air pollution in the Bay Area, the agency said. It is especially harmful to children, the elderly and people with respiratory conditions.

Bringit November 23, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Hahaha…

Ain’t gonna happen!

Badge1104 November 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Tuff. You`re too late……. the fire is already roaring…. it smells great and feels great!

It makes sense to me November 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Time to throw another log on the fire.

Angry Andy November 23, 2017 at 3:38 PM

yeah, we dont burn wood but the refineries are not shutting down….

I got my turkey on the Weber as I type!

And Im adding generous amounts of Hickory wood chips as it cooks.

Time to go add more wood chips!

Fred November 23, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Greg94528 November 23, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Ooopps! A little too late as I just lit our fire about a half hour ago and everyone’s enjoying it so. It kind of goes so well with the Thanksgiving holiday recollecting our thankfulness in this country, and pilgrim times, ‘Darnwell not going to put it out now! I gather this was a recommendation not an edict, so there’ll be no fine. This is a very special day with family and friends and the perfect weather for it so please don’t put a guilt trip on us for this one occasion.

Yves harlowe November 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Oh, this time we’re being “asked” not to burn. I’m already planning to have a nice cheerful fire this evening, so, sorry, Jack.

TIFOKCIS November 23, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Just for you Jack I wish it was cold enough to burn. Must really be something to be an indoctrinated hack with a little power.

Safety Second November 23, 2017 at 8:21 PM

Sorry Master…I don’t live on a plantation

Dk November 23, 2017 at 10:20 PM

I always burn a fire anytime I want.

The Mamba November 24, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Whoops.

Chicken Little November 24, 2017 at 2:11 PM

At least some of us did as asked and didn’t burn wood. Old tires put out way more heat when they burn, anyway.

CSS November 24, 2017 at 3:52 PM

Nice to see the “all about me” CA residents still exist. Where would CA be without them?

sideline November 25, 2017 at 6:08 AM

Why don’t we concentrate on the big polluters over by the refineries before picking on little ones?
Those big, non-dissolving, white clouds over there look scary. Can’t be good for the environment.