The Claycord Online Museum – A 74-year-old Thanksgiving Day Menu (Cigarettes Included)

November 22, 2017 14:00 pm · 5 comments

us_naval

us_naval_1

We’ve posted this one in the past, but love to post it around Thanksgiving.

This is a 74-year-old Thanksgiving Day menu from the U.S. Naval Barracks at Port Chicago.

Delicious, and you even get cigarettes for dinner!

Click on each photo for a larger view.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

RELATED STORY: The Claycord Online Museum – An Old Mess Hall Tray from the Concord Naval Weapons Station

Silva November 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Ooo! Cigarettes and candy too!

Steve Powers November 22, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Go Navy….. that’s a good Thanksgiving meal

Thankful girl November 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM

Thank us for posting the kinder gentler days of the past. Gemco. Montgomery Wards, and old Sears…

DD November 23, 2017 at 8:35 AM

Served in the Military for 30+ years and some of the best Thanksgiving meals I’ve had were at mess halls.

Cowellian November 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I can’t speak to the mess halls, but I have had some awesome Thanksgiving dinners onboard submarines. However, my very first Thanksgiving in the Navy was definitely my most memorable. I had just been transferred to New London, and had been there for about a week. I didn’t know anyone else on the base, and I did not have any plans.

Thanksgiving morning found me wandering around the base, when I saw an older Petty Officer struggling with several large bags of trash. He was just coming off of his duty shift, and taking out the trash was his last task before going home. So I volunteered to help him out. Then he invited me to his house for dinner. This was before cell-phones, so his wife had no idea that I was coming. But she was very gracious about the whole thing.

While she cooked dinner, we set-up (and tested) their sons’ train set, watched some football, and enjoyed some adult beverages. Along with having a great dinner, I learned that I belonged to a pretty amazing brotherhood.