CHP Goes All Out with Enforcement During Thanksgiving Weekend

November 22, 2017 16:00 pm · 19 comments

(by Janis Mara) – During Thanksgiving weekend, one of the country’s busiest travel times, the California Highway Patrol is going all out with enforcement to help forestall tragedies starting today, the agency said.

All available CHP officers will be on patrol in a maximum enforcement period beginning at 6:01 p.m. today and ending at 11:59 p.m. Sunday, according to the CHP.

Additionally, the CHP is urging drivers to wear their seat belts. Among the 27 people killed in 2016 Thanksgiving crashes in CHP jurisdictions, 14 were not wearing seat belts, according to the agency’s data.

“Whether you are driving across the street or across the country for your Thanksgiving gathering, it is imperative to wear your seat belt,” Warren Stanley, the CHP’s acting commissioner, said in a statement.

“Wearing a seat belt is essential every day of the year, but we do not want to have festivities ruined as a result of people not buckling up for their trips,” Stanley said.

Jerk November 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM

LOL, what a Joke.
Where are all of the Much Needed Patrols during Non-Holidays???

CSS November 22, 2017 at 5:06 PM

So what are they doing on non holidays? Probably more enforcement because holidays are O/T?

Bringit November 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Wait, so they aren’t doing maximum enforcement on non holiday times? I can’t remember the last time I even saw a CHP on any freeway or city street.

GRX November 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM

I’ll drink to that.

Seriously, don’t drink n drive.

If you do over-drink, an Uber ride is waaaay cheaper than a DUI.

Shoulda Coulda November 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM

The CHP does not get overtime for working
a holiday. Maximum enforcement means
that 80% of all uniformed officers will be
out on the road. They do this because they
know more people will be traveling and
are trying to make it safer for everyone
to get home.

Sclayton November 22, 2017 at 9:20 PM

Hey Jerk and bring it, CHP is hiring! Why don’t you sign up? Since according to you you aren’t happy with their service.

Maybe November 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM

I see chp cruising on the highways all the time. What I never see are chp with a car pulled over writing a ticket.
I travel to Oregon frequently and I see people getting tickets quite often. What I do notice is it’s very rare to see anyone going way over the limit on Oregon highways. I think enforcement really works.

Bringit November 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM

@SClayton
Sorry but any CHP job would have been WAY below my standard of living and financial enjoyment pay wise.
Where did you read I wasnt happy with their service?

Darwin November 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM

I got this from a CHP officer at Starbucks, he said, “do you know what CHP stands for? Coffee House Patrol.” We both laughed and went on our way. Great sense of humor.

WC November 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM

#1. They had some weasel from there on KRON last night whining about not burning wood in your fireplace even though it isn’t a spare the air day.

Bringit November 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM

@WC
I’m surprised the fire Dept hasn’t been called, we have 4 smokers going on back patio and the whole Ct is full of smoke. Even if it was a spare air day they’d still be going. Hopefully that weasel on KRON lives in our Ct.

Maybe November 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM

King Archie. I see them often on highway 4. Probably on their way from the station to Starbucks in Martinez.

Bringit November 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Yea the CHP loves to Lidar between Morello and Pine exits. That stretch from Pacheco blvd to Alhambra in both directions was my own personal racetrack and tuning road for 40 years.

Nokeem November 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Don’t forget about robberies during holidays. Glad to hear patrol for drunk drivers, but don’t forget abt patrolling the neighborhoods.

Nokeem November 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM

I saw a truck tailgating a CHP pickup on 680SB a week ago yesterday. Couldn’t believe it! Thought maybe tailgating Mexican Food Supply truck knew who was driving CHP pickup, but it sure looked bad.

Silva November 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM

The fire departments actually know the difference between cooking smoke and a fire.

Bringit November 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM

@Silva
Yea the fire department might know bbq smoke difference but neighbors don’t.

Anon November 24, 2017 at 8:43 AM

It’s too bad they aren’t this passionate about catching thieves and other criminals.

L November 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Saw one cup on thanksgiving night had a car pulled over at 680/242, traveled to San Mateo and back, Antioch and back over past few days and that is the only chp car I’ve seen since wednesday????