Claycord Online Museum – TG&Y in Concord, Walnut Creek

November 21, 2017 14:00 pm · 17 comments

wpid-20150916_125949.jpg

Here’s an ad from TG&Y in 1975.

TG&Y was located on Clayton Rd. in Concord (in the TJ Maxx shopping center), and also in Walnut Creek, in the Ygnacio Plaza Shopping Center.

At its peak, TG&Y had more than 900 stores in 29 states.

If you always wondered what the letters TG&Y stand for, it was named for its three founders: Rawdon E. Tomlinson, Enoch L. “Les” Gosselin, and Raymond A. Young.

Always remember, the best buy is at TG&Y.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Dorothy November 21, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Enjoyed the ad for T, G&Y. Polyester double-knit as it was then is now the bane of stash sales.

Mag November 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM

I wonder if Wayne Harder is still wed?

Alfred November 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM

We used to go there a lot and also when ever we went there we always had to go to Thrifty and get our $.05 cent ice cream scoop. I was never a fan of those ice cream cones they had they always got soggy around the rim so gave it to a family member to finish to this day prefer the sugar cones.

Badge1104 November 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Look at those prices!!!!!!
No wonder I made it by back then with my first job on my own.It was near minimum wage. I even had an apartment for $125 a month off Clayton Road, and had a car payment of only $120 a month… and save a little.

Chester Kitty November 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM

@Mag … Haha! I was just thinking the same thing!!!

By the way, see the ad for Hilson’s right next to the TG&Y ad? Hilson’s was where Half Price Books is now. Miss all those old stores!

Silva November 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Dorothy, Yes! Useless then as now.

Who is this Wayne Harder?

AnonZ November 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM

Loved TG&Y!!

LOL I wondered the same thing Mag #2.

Badge1104 November 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM

I see the article next to it from The Guild that was offering a bus trip to Sacramento old town for $10 that included lunch at a restaurant there~with the proceeds going to do the hospital to help buy equipment! Amazing!
Gee Claycord, now you have me going down memory lane! Regarding the ad for ladies polyester pant suits, I remember a lady at work then wore her brand new orange pantsuit when a co-worker walking that accidentally had part of his cigarette ash fall off and when it hit her pant suit, the material disintegrated right away revealing bare skin as it melted away. of course she was very mad to say the least!

Bob Foo November 22, 2017 at 7:46 AM

Badge,

What kind of car was it?

Suzanne November 22, 2017 at 7:46 AM

We had a TG&Y in Dublin when I was growing up. Always smelled like popcorn.

Suzanne November 22, 2017 at 8:21 AM

#6 & 7, Look to the left of the ad. Pic of Wayne Harders wed.

JazzMan November 22, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Jokingly called it They Gyp You. 😁

Chef Curry November 22, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Looks like the bride is terrified to be marrying Wayne.

Kentucky Derby November 22, 2017 at 9:54 AM

TG&Y was a great store!

Silva November 22, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Suzanne, Got it. Haha!!!

Did I Say That Out Loud November 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Lordy, I miss those prices. Yeah, we made less an hour – far less, but the percentage of your wages to housing and groceries wasn’t as crazy.

Alf November 22, 2017 at 8:28 PM

@ Chef Curry

I’m tellin u. If I had a time machine, I’d go back and say something at that wedding. Old Wayne has crazy eyes. Lol