UPDATE: Two Teens Arrested for Sexual Assault of Underage Girl

October 19, 2017 16:01 pm · 24 comments

Two underage teenage boys were arrested Wednesday night in connection with the sexual assault of an underage teenage girl that allegedly occurred in late September in unincorporated Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County sheriff’s deputies said today.

A letter that Carondelet High School, an all-girls Catholic school located at 1133 Winton Drive in Concord, sent out to families today confirmed that the victim was a Carondelet student.

It also stated that the alleged assault occurred off-campus, and one of the two suspects arrested is a student at the neighboring all-boys Catholic school De La Salle High.

Officials at De La Salle acknowledged media reports that a student had been arrested in the case in a letter sent out to parents around 1 p.m. today, but said they have not yet been contacted by law enforcement and have “very little” information about the investigation.

“Although we cannot comment on the incident, let us make ourselves clear: at De La Salle High School, we expect and demand respect for all persons,” the letter said.

Both schools are taking measures to address the investigation, and are calling town hall meetings for staff and faculty as well as gathering their students for discussions on behavior and consequences.

“We take the safety and well-being of our young women extremely seriously,” Carondelet principal Kevin Cushing said in a statement. “We have had ongoing conversations with our students and implemented programs in
partnership with De La Salle to educate all of our students around the global issues of sexual assault and creating an environment of mutual respect, and we will continue to do so.”

Investigators are asking anyone with additional information on the case to contact the sheriff’s sexual assault unit at (925) 313-2625. Anonymous tips can be reported at (866) 846-3592 or can be sent by email to tips@so.cccounty.us.

1 Jeff October 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Why does De La Salle continue to be in the news for this? What are they teaching over there behind those ivory gates ?

2 Piano Man October 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Billiy Joel said it, “Come out Virginia, don’t let ’em wait
You Catholic girls start much too late
Aw but sooner or later it comes down to faith
Oh I might as well be the one” (Only the good die young)

3 94519 October 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM

It is our innate culture , not the teaching institution. None of us seem to have the value for a life, or each other any more. My breast was grabbed by a boy while walking home from the grocery store in ’76. Nothing has changed. I reported it to parents and Concord Police. Total disregard for the VICTIM. And now, I have to live through a male with a crush on my niece threatening her and her family because he was “disrespected” when she did not reciprocate his feelings. Sexual abuse and predatory behavior knows no race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation or age. We are all equal.

4 Chicken Little October 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM

Yeah right, Jeff. Because stuff like this NEVER happens in other high schools. Actually, it’s just not news when it happens in other schools.

5 Anonymous October 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM

You shouldn’t point fingers at the teachers of this school. This happens at every high school, luckily the Caradolet girls are taught to speak up and tell someone, unlike other kids at other schools where they don’t because they are worried about their image. I praise the girl that spoke up, because again this happens all the time, to girls and boys.

6 Jeffy October 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM

You’re totally right, Jeff. Can’t believe it ONLY happens at this one high school. Genius.

7 Mr pink October 19, 2017 at 7:01 PM

I don’t even know what to say. People think they can just get away with anything and until we start cracking down either by legal means or personally things will never improve

8 Mich October 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM

AGAIN?!

9 Eds October 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM

At #5
Hearsay

Don’t bear false witness.

10 Drvrdadca October 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM

I have a student at one of these schools and from what I can gather it is a DLS varsity football player (supposedly a good one too).

Whether these allegations are true or not, does anyone think this pedo will be expelled?

Football means everything to DLS. Let’s sit back and see what happens.

11 Whsemanager October 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM

#10- Pedo? Read the article all 3 are underage. Not saying a rape ir assault didn’t occur but not a pedophile.

12 Khloe October 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM

If I got a dollar for every time I was sexually harassed I would be rich.

13 If you only knew! October 20, 2017 at 8:10 AM

Most parents and teachers have no idea to the extent of the drug and alcohol use in these high schools, including junior highs. A lot of these high school students their most valuable asset is there glassware (Bong) costing close to $1000. . Here’s an example of how nobody cares. There was a party in the Northgate neighborhood in a multimillion dollar house. An ambulance was called to the house on two different occasions for children who were not responsive (blacked out) a third ambulance was called after a student was assaulted and left in the driveway unconscious with a broken jaw. The party was never shutdown.
My heart bleeds for the victim and all the parents involved.

14 Bitterman October 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Wake up people. This is not De La Salle’s doing. A couple POS SCUM BAGS do not define the school. My heart goes out to the victim and her family. I hope the DA punished these losers to the fullest.

15 Jojo Potato October 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM

I never understood that whole arrangement with De Le Salle and Carondelet across the street from each other. Isn’t that just increasing sexual tension by making it at a distance? I guess the Church has never been great at understanding about sex. My daughter got accepted to Carondelet but didn’t go because she couldn’t get the science classes she wanted soon enough. As my wife complained at the time “They don’t seem very flexible”. Well duh, I replied they are THE church. And why exactly does the girls school have a male principal? You figure it out.

16 Kentucky Derby October 20, 2017 at 1:26 PM

There’s a big difference between sexual tension and sexual assault. The latter is a crime.

17 Claytonite October 20, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Hey Jojo-the two schools share a lot of resources, including classes. It’s not as segregated as you seem to think. Your theory also doesn’t apply to YV. I don’t know what’s going on, but the DLS boys I know are polite and respectful, and BTW not all are Catholic. Perhaps this is even partially a case of more frequent reporting? It’s horrible in any case. My heart goes out to the girl and her family.

18 former football fan October 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Another football player. There is just such a negative side to it now. Football players are not held to the same standards as everyone else. Just look at the professionals. It is a trickle down effect. They think they can have anything they want.

19 Nutcreek Frontier October 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Am a proud mother of an honor student at Carondelet. While saddened that this issue has come up again, am happy to see that Carondelet has not swept it under the rug, and is supporting the young woman. I know the leadership of De La Salle is deeply concerned also about the character of their students. Perhaps it is time for a game-changer… if the allegations are proven true, De La Salle might consider a temporary suspension of their football program to underscore this behavior is not to be tolerated. Times are changing. De La Salle has an opportunity to be a leader on this issue. Would like to see YV also take a similar stance against rape.

20 Cynic October 20, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Nutcreek Frontier, why should hundreds of boys be punished for the behavior of 1? That makes absolutely no sense. How, exactly, would suspending the football program prevent this from happening again? This has nothing to do with football, but likely has everything to do with parenting and home life.

I guarantee the kid does not act like he can get away with whatever he wants when he is around the team and the coaches…neither his teammates nor the coaches would tolerate it, no matter how good he is at football. My guess is that he gets very preferential treatment and indulgence at home, though. Maybe more so because he is a good football player.

Sometimes kids are just bad people, and sometimes they are good kids and they just make bad decisions. Usually, though, in cases like this if you take a close look at the parents it is pretty clear where the breakdown has occurred. Remember the quotes from the dad after the last assault? Maybe De La Salle should screen the parents of the kids that they admit…

21 TIFOKCIS October 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Ideal draft picks for the NFL.

22 Cool Breeze October 21, 2017 at 5:10 AM

I have a daughter who will be at Carondelet in a couple years and I’m glad to know that the school teaches their girls to speak up. I’m also a DLS graduate and am saddened to hear that this situation has come up again. However, a few bad seeds should not define the whole school, let alone the football team. As a former athlete and coach st the school, I guarantee that this will be used as another teaching moment for every young man at the school, not just the football players or athletes. Nobody gets a pass and rightfully so. My heart goes out to the family of the young girl. As the father of a young daughter, I know how I would react if this happened to my child. To echo some of the earlier points above, learning to respect others begins at home and this appears to be failing to sink in with too many youth these days.

23 Nutcreek Frontier October 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Agreed that this behavior starts in the home and DLS doesn’t cause it. But unfortunately, two rapes in one year from one sports team is too many. Yes, if you are serious about stopping sexual assault, you do penalize the whole team for this behavior. Will stop assaults very quickly, if rapists know they will be accountable to their teammates. The army uses this kind of behavior modification, and it works. DLS has a teaching moment, and hope they take advantage of it. Have heard many parents voice this belief, there needs to be sanctions in the football program, to stop the raping by football players.

24 Marnalade October 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Unfortunately, they just appear to be doing what they see the professionals doing. Bad behavior at the professional level seems to be standard fare these days. And, the professionals seem to be getting away with it which is even more disturbing. If I had a daughter she would be warned to stay away from the football players for obvious reasons.