CLOSED: Black Diamond Brewing Company on Bates Ave. in Concord

October 17, 2017 13:16 pm · 37 comments

Black Diamond Brewing Company on Bates Ave. in Concord has closed after 23 years in business, according to a post on their website this morning.

The business posted the following message:

“Due to unfortunate circumstances the locks have been changed and Black Diamond Brewery is closed for the foreseeable future. Thank you to everyone who supported us during our 23 year run!”

Black Diamond hosted a ‘last-minute’ wedding reception yesterday for a couple who were victims of the North Bay fires.

The previous venue they planned to have their reception at suffered major damage. Black Diamond said ‘Just doing what we can, after all “one team one dream” right. Always glad to help another out.’

1 Ryan October 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM

No more Rampage!! I will miss you old friend.

2 Suzanne October 17, 2017 at 2:50 PM

How sad. A sampling of things to come following the fire, unfortunately. Hope they can return some day.

3 King Archie the Invincible October 17, 2017 at 3:22 PM

“the locks have been changed”… Who changed them – a landlord? a disgruntled spouse? Al Capone? And why? Rent dispute? Property going condo? Some government agency? We need the facts.

4 Mr. Pink October 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM

I thought Black Diamond was in Walnut Creek?

5 Steven October 17, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Epidemic ales is better. Just up the street on Mason Circle. Check them out.

6 Waffles October 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Black Diamond in Walnut Creek was replaced by Faultline, which was replaced by Pyramid, and is now Sauced.

I didn’t care for Black Diamond’s beer, but I wonder why they closed.

7 Eudamonia October 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Noooo! This is terrible news. Where will we get our Rampage?

8 Inside info? October 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM

@ Suzanne

Black Diamond is a Concord business. I’m not seeing the connection to fires out of the county. Can you expand please?

9 94519 October 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Was just there last week……glad I had one last visit. Always enjoyed the company and the beer. Thanks Guys!

10 Cowellian October 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Weren’t they on Todos Santos Plaza several years ago, or am I confusing them with another brew-pub?

11 Mr. Pink October 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM

thx waffles.

12 It would seem they where "NOT" paying their rent!!! October 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Why is ANYBODY surprised?

13 dave October 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Black Diamond in Walnut Creek was replaced by Faultline, which was replaced by Pyramid, and is Maserati Of Walnut Creek

14 mike favar October 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Too much competition perhaps? I like Calcraft Brewing’s Oaktown Brown better!

15 Stew October 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM

It has nothing to do with north bay fires.
When the brew pub was in Walnut Creek it was north main, not downtown. In the Harley Davidson spot.
Pretty sure the building (and much of that area) is owned by the same people who owned the brewery.
More likely the closure is due to expanding costs and sagging popularity of the beer.

16 Growerofgreen October 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM

Many people are leaving the beer biz…to guess what…weed biz! Yes too much money to be made vs beer and Jan 1 it’s retail legal!

17 WC resident October 17, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Any thoughts on that beer place that opened up in Shadelands? Calicraft Brewing Company. http://www.calicraft.com/ I’ve never been there but they always seem to have a crowd of customers.

18 Yes!!! October 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Sauced is horrible.

19 apollo idol prudence October 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Cowellian – you’re thinking EJ Phairs. There’s also Hop Grenade that opened a couple of years ago also in Todos Santos plaza.

Black Diamond hasnt been in Walnut Creek for almost a decade

The beer revolution is dying. Epidemic hasnt sky rocketed. The twon new breweries in MTZ tho not opened do not have a clamoring following

its end of the road

20 Peter Criss October 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Out on the streets for a living
Picture’s only begun
Your day is sorrow and madness
Got you under their thumb

Whoo, black diamond
Whoo, black diamond

21 Hugh October 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM

#17, interesting, I didn’t know there was a taproom back there. Will have to check it out. I like Calicraft beers, am a fan of their Kolsch style which you see on tap at a lot of local restaurants.

22 Nick A October 18, 2017 at 12:09 AM

Personally, I was never a fan of their beers however it’s still sad to see an independent brewery go. As the market has become saturated, I am not too surprised to see some of the older micros disappear. Lots of those brewers believe it was their great product that made them successful in the past when it was really a lack of regional competition at the time. Well, times have changed.

23 Suzanne October 18, 2017 at 7:28 AM

@8 – I misread

24 Sign from Above October 18, 2017 at 7:29 AM

@#17 I’ve been to Calicraft a few times. Not impressed. The woman that is typical there is rude and not at all customer friendly. The beer is just so-so. Epidemic on the other hand (right down the street from BD is great. VERY firendly staff and their beer is incredible. Sorry to see BD close, but Epidemic can handle the business.

25 Mark October 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM

Black Diamond was in Walnut Creek at the corner of Overlook and North main. The location was taken over by Maguire’s(SP?) Harley Davidson when Black diamond moved to bates in Concord and yes at that time, Rent was the issue.
This location was only one and a Half blocks from where Far m Cree was located. Farm Creek closed for a number of reasons City of Walnut Creek hassles being one.

26 Dr. Know October 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Black Diamond was on North Main and Parkside Drive in Walnut Creek about 12 years ago. It was never down on Locust where Pyramid Ale House was. The poster earlier above is mistaken.

Black Diamond in WC had some really good food for pub food and the bands that played there on Saturday nights were amazing! The Beer was actually brewed on the premises and you could sit at the bar and see all of the tanks through a huge glass wall. Closed down because management couldn’t handle the staff anymore, and the waitresses were filing sexual harassment suits on the managers, who they were having sex with afterhours on the premises. It was out of control and the owners didn’t want to face any liability. They closed it.

Calicraft is run by a Cal alum by the name of Blaine Landberg.

The Beer is pretty good and comes in all sorts of varieties from a Kolsch to Pisners, to several IPA’s and a Double IPA. There is no brewery on site. The beer making is contracted out to Dan Gordon (formerly Gordon Biersch) in San Jose and Heretic Brewing up in Fairfield.

Great location in the Shadelands Ranch office park and plenty of parking. Kid, Dog, and Family friendly. Good tunes inside with tracks fro Spotify along with one big screen for watching a game. Almost gets too nuts on the weekends!

27 Shoulda Coulda October 18, 2017 at 9:21 AM

@Mark

That was North Main / Parkside Dr.

28 Jeffery Hudson October 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM

I was at Black Diamond last Thursday. I work two blocks from the building.
It was my understanding that the owners of the brewery owned the building. It was also my understanding that the ownership had just recently changed.
The Walnut Creek site is the Jaguar Distributorship now. I miss that place ’cause they had good food!

Waitresses? I must be going at the wrong times because I never saw waitresses.

29 Olivera Alum October 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Their Blonde Ale was my favorite! They had it on tap st Rocco’s Pizza. I remember the brewery restaurant way back when and had a few fun nights out there dancing to dj and live bands. Fundamentals were awesome!

30 Cowellian October 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Thanks, Apollo,
We went there once. I thought they were way too loud, and I really didn’t care for their fish & chips.

31 Just protect my life, liberty and property please. October 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM

@Jeffery Hudson – The previous Walnut Creek location is not Jaguar. Jaguar is still in the same spot it has been in for decades. Harley expanded into the Parkside location after Black Diamond moved and Bentley/Maserati/Alfa Dealership is in the building now.

32 Old school October 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Weren’t they on South Broadway across from the mall before moving to North Main?

33 Adam October 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Wow, horrible news. This tap room was one of the best kept secrets of the area. I’ll miss you guys, and I’ll miss some of the best beer I’ve ever had. Uggggg…

34 rocco October 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Joe, if you read this, thanks for the great beer at Rocco’s for the last 18 years !!!

35 JustSayin2 October 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM

It was owned byw the Garaventas of Concord Disposal

36 Ranchgirl October 20, 2017 at 7:24 AM

I was told they file for bankruptcy. Too bad. I really liked their beers and the fact that they brew themselves, on site. Calicraft is ok, but they contract out their brewing. Epidemic is ok. Hit and miss with their brews. None of my friends particularly care for their beer, so we don’t go.

37 The Uninvited Barman October 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Black Diamond restaurant was up on North Main where the Maserati dealership is now. It was open for 10 years and provided live music and dancing to the Walnut Creek divorcées. Good beer was brewed ONSITE, not like other Walnut Creek pubs. After 10 years slumlord Michael Stead jacked up the lease and the Italian garbage men owners said “You will never make money unless you own the land”. They packed up thier 100k in brewing equipment and took it to thier garbage sorting facility. That’s the place off Bates where the Mexicans will sort through your blue bin to cash in you CA CRV you are too lazy to get. They had a tap room there and sold kegs for a little over a decade. The rest is Claycord history. Thank you Tim and Joe for all the memories.