The Water Cooler – Has the Smoke Affected Your Health?

October 12, 2017 12:00 pm · 28 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Has the smoke from the wildfires in the North Bay affected your health? If so,
what symptoms are you experiencing? Also, do you remember a time when the air quality/smoke was this bad in Contra Costa County?

Talk about it….

1 AnonZ October 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Don’t remember a time it was worse. No I don’t have any health issues from it.

2 Dorothy October 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Not yet. Been taking my allergy meds because there is no telling what is in the smoke.

3 Concordejet October 12, 2017 at 12:48 PM

No not me. It is cold outside today in WC now for now I cannot see smoke in WC no trouble breathing at all but others, might have issue

My friend had to be evacuated from home in Santa Rosa and went straight to sacramento cause she and her kids have asthma

4 Mount Mom October 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Absolutely!! I had really hardcore asthma as a kid, like we had a nebulizer and oxygen at home and I still frequented the ER. I also took a ton of daily meds. I luckily I have been able to outgrow overcome this for the most part but I have been hitting my inhaler the past few days and my throat feels and sounds like I’m getting laryngitis. 😕but still blessed to have a home! 2017 has been such a rough year!

5 Roz October 12, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Don’t remember a time worst than with these fires now.
No bad health issues from it, but yes, drier eyes and sinus, loss of appetite, and a bit tired. Been drinking more water. Not working in the yard for now.

6 TIFOKCIS October 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Yes I am unhealthy now.

Mild headache, asthma bug’n, eyes burn……………..unhealthy…….for gawds sake really?

Sorry my inner victim isn’t activated.

7 lunch lady October 12, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Yes, I have had a hard time. Eyes, nose and my throat but most of all my head has hurt with a headache for days.
Thank you for asking. Many people are having problems.

8 No...took shorter walks October 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM

I usually walk 5 miles a day… yesterday probably only 2 miles…no noticeable effects.

9 Future Catlady October 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Yes it certainly has affected me. I feel as though I have smoked half a pack of cigarettes 😉 Seriously, I’ve had a sinus headache most of the week and my eyes are burning despite using eye drops. Hopefully things simmer down soon.

10 Harrumph October 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Not being able to go outside is hazardous to my health

11 BarneyRubble October 12, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Nope didn’t let it, we went to Hawaii as soon as it all started. Figured why stick around for the headaches.

12 Clayton Squirrel October 12, 2017 at 1:51 PM

No, I’ve been out every day since Monday as I’m getting stronger. I haven’t been out of the house for three days in a row in over a year!

13 jules October 12, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Had itchy, watery eyes and sneezing but bought a few portable air cleaners for around the house and have been fine since.

14 No Thanks October 12, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Yesterday was pretty bad in WC. Today is better, but Oakland was still pretty bad. Snotty, congested, sore eyes. Come on RAIN!

15 Giddyup October 12, 2017 at 2:12 PM

I can’t remember worse smoke pollution. It actually looks and smells better today. I was forced to go out yesterday and while the smoke smells “woodsy,” it also has hints of man-made materials, and synthetic, rubbery notes. I’m guessing, too, that because it is a wildfire there may be poison oak and poison ivy oils floating in the haze. It is bothersome to me, but I didn’t lose my house in it, so I’m not complaining about my little problems. And, my little problems seem minuscule by comparison.

16 Incognito October 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Headache and sore throat.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected. I have many friends who have lost everything, and even though it may be just considered “stuff”, your house and your possessions are your “life” and “memories”. Very sad.

17 Rollo Tomasi October 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM

18 Kirkwood October 12, 2017 at 3:21 PM

The rice farmers up in the Colusa area used to burn their stubble throughout October and orchardists burned their prunings. The wind is always from the north in the Fall and this area and East into the valley used to be smokey, but much of the time the smoke stayed above 2000 ft.
Also, when the wind was right (or wrong) Claycord used to receive the strong rotten odor from the Antioch paper mill.

19 Silva October 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM

My asthma has kicked up a few notches, and yesterday was the worst. I stayed inside for the most part. I’ve never seen this much smoke, and it was acrid and nasty, not just vegetation smells in there. What a disastrous fire season. I know three families who had to leave their homes. I was so relieved to know they could go back, and their homes were still there. So very sad for so many others.

20 Original G October 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM

This time the number of fires, their sizes and down slope off shore air flows have made for worst I can remember. Have been in area since 1950s. Keeping house closed up and UVC running as needed.

Fires on Mt. Diablo 6,000 acres in 1977 and Morgan Fire 3,100 acres in 2013 both caused temporary air problems. Half the neighborhood were gathered around the scanner listening for hours to Fire frequencies, Air attack frequencies and watching air drops.

21 Elwood October 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Pray for rain!

22 Pony October 12, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Where I went to grade school in the early 60’s (before pollution control) we lived 1,000 feet or so from a PetroChem plant to the south and 600 from the city garbage burner to the west. Yesterday was the first time since we moved from there that I have seem anything near the pollution.

23 Lambie October 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I have burning eyes & slight cough.
I can’t remember the air being this bad.

24 Zipper October 12, 2017 at 7:41 PM

All this smoke has ruined the taste of my cigarettes.

25 tulaby October 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM

no effects.

26 Be gentle October 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Yes! I have a mask 😷 that I wear when leaving my place!
I have a new sinus pressure thing happening!

27 Concernicus October 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM

@Chad I don’t think the leafblowers are there because they love their job that much: They probably need the paycheck that badly.

Eyes burn and got some weird sinus action going on. Dreading having to go out in it today for food + meds. Definitely don’t remember fire smoke being this heavy or full of nasty other-than-wood elements. Hope this is a wake-up call to manufacturers to stop putting the worst chemicals in their products…couches, plaster, etc… lest we all have to breathe it!!
I feel the most sorry for animals and sensitive humans, or people w/o tightly sealed homes/filtration units.This has got to be the worst for them.

28 tita October 13, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Eyes burn…runny nose BUT WE will survive….Home not on fire, clean water to drink, and loved ones safe….and I will not complain ….