ALERT: All Mt. Diablo Unified School District Facilities Will Be Closed on Friday Due to Poor Air Quality

October 12, 2017 15:51 pm · 6 comments

No school on Friday for students in the Mt. Diablo Unified School District.

All facilities in the Mt. Diablo Unified School District will be closed on Friday, October 13, 2017.

Facilities are planned to reopen on Monday, October 16, 2017.

The following is from the MDUSD:

Dear Mt. Diablo Unified Families,

Mt. Diablo Unified School District continues to monitor air quality conditions as reported and forecasted by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), and AirNow from the National Weather Service.

Due to the current conditions, we will keep Mt. Diablo Unified facilities closed on Friday, October 13 in the interest of the health and safety of our students, staff, and visitors. Athletic events and contests will remain canceled until next week.

We are currently planning to reopen on Monday, October 16, with strict guidelines limiting outside activities. Campuses will be checked over the weekend, and we will send district staff to schools for extra support Monday. We will continue to monitor air quality and health advisories and warnings from these agencies and update you as conditions change.

1 The hobo October 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Martinez and Pittsburg closed too

2 Mr. Enigma October 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM

Yet, CVCHS will stay open when the adjacent CSU East Bay extension wont. To make matter worse they still want to press on with the football game after MDUSD has announced they are cancelling all sport activities.

Glad to see health and safety are a priority at CVCHS.

3 King Archie the Invincible October 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM

AQ was decent today up until about 4 PM. I started out with an N95 mask this morning and quickly realized I didn’t need it. I opened some windows at home and didn’t need to shut them for several hours. Sweet fresh air!

4 Must be Nice October 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM

At my house it was already bad when I took my dogs out at 6am.

5 Skyscraper October 12, 2017 at 9:02 PM

Back east, schools have “snow days” after a heavy snowstorm. Here in California, we have “smoke days”.

6 Mount Mom October 13, 2017 at 7:44 AM

CVCHS has some strange priorities! I think they will win by default if the other school is a no show or cancels hosting. At least in basketball as of last year that’s how it worked. I wonder if this would constitute special circumstances?