Walnut Creek Unified School District Schools WILL Remain Open on Thursday & Friday

October 11, 2017 20:26 pm · 12 comments

1 Mary Fouts October 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Crazy! as I previously posted, I am only letting my dogs outside today to go potty, quickly. They both sneezed this afternoon and evening when going out. And this school district wants to submit our children to this can’t breathe mess? Shame on them! Smoke everywhere.

2 Kris October 11, 2017 at 8:50 PM

WHAT?! The only reason I can see for keeping the kids in school is that you don’t want to lose the $$$ with them out. I find it sad and difficult to believe that other districts are more concerned with our children’s health than our district. Heartbreaking. SHAME ON YOU!!!

3 Mom of the Horde October 11, 2017 at 9:05 PM

Cool your jets folks… it’s not the school district being greedy. They have workable plans in place to keep kids safe and at school, no point in closing the schools just because everywhere else is. If they close, they have to make that time up somewhere else, and I’m sure parents will whine if we lose a day or two off of spring break to make it up.

4 A. October 11, 2017 at 9:11 PM

Guess the schools staying open breathe different air than everyone else. Hope this changes! Very lame WCSD! 👎🏻

5 Coggins Square October 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM

The Walnut Creek School District IS NOT called Walnut Creek Unified School District. It is just called Walnut Creek School District as it only has K-8 schooling, and after finishing up at Walnut Creek Intermediate, the kids in that sector of Walnut Creek then move onto Las Lomas High School in the Acalanes Union High School District!! It is the same way in the 3 Lamorida cities, with each having its own K-8 school district, and then the teens attending Acalanes, Camplindo, and Miramonte High schools. I am sorry if I sound like a Rain Man.

6 Greg94528 October 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Frankly I think this is a smart move. The other school districts are over reacting in panic and not logic. The kids in school are probably going to breathe less bad air then they will at home playing outdoors or going to shopping centers and malls.

7 Parent October 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM

I see both sides of this. I’m a teacher and it was really hard walking outside today. Inside the classroom was fine, but the kids have to leave the room to go to the restroom and in middle school to go to each class. It got progressively worse throughout the day. As a parent, I’m concerned about all the kids walking to and from school. It’s a hard decision.

8 Kentucky Derby October 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM

As a parent who’s kids are grown, I understand both sides as well. As a parent, if your kids attend a school that’s open and you want your child to stay home, keep them home. Send a note saying you kept your child home for health reasons. It’s an excused absence.

9 Barbie Girl October 11, 2017 at 11:07 PM

High achievers.

10 concerned citizen October 12, 2017 at 12:36 AM

A lot of these kids walk to and from school, many of them probably have no other means of transportation (parents at work, etc)
Ridiculous, and not okay. Walking around Las Lomas from class to class before being marked late is already a pain, speed walking in smoky air that burns your eyes and nose?!
Somebody is not thinking this through.

11 Moni October 12, 2017 at 7:59 AM

I’m glad MDUSD, DVC and Martinez chose to close their schools today. Other schools and districts do what they think is best and I won’t denigrate them. As a retired teacher, I know the concerns, though.

12 Scott October 12, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Good lord,

For all of these parents who are saying the air quality is so bad all schools should be closed, I hope you are as vigilant with your kids when we have spare the air days throughout the county. I have seen kids riding there bikes and skateboarding all ready this morning. The only exception would be for kids with any respiratory issues, they should be protected on days like this.
And to the RN, you and I both know you are getting more people at the ER because of the news coverage regarding the air, and the over reacting parents who’s default is to go to the hospital.