Clayton Valley Charter High School WILL Have School on Thursday and Friday

October 11, 2017 19:59 pm · 88 comments

If your child goes to Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord, they will have school on Thursday and Friday.

The following message is from CVCHS:

SCHOOL IS OPEN THURSDAY AND FRIDAY!

Please note, school will be open with classes in session on Thursday (10/12) and Friday (10/13).
Students will remain indoors during class and be provided with indoor areas for brunch and lunch. After school athletic practices and events will, however, be cancelled.

RELATED STORIES:

1 Triggered CV Student October 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM

As i said, The fact that every school around us is closed, yet CV is not, really goes to show how much priority CV puts on its students. Nooooo, we need that one extra day of health problems so Dave Linzey can repaint the football field.

2 CV Student October 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM

Thank you CV admin for considering our health at this time. I’m glad I’m just a dollar sign to you rather than a human being. Good luck with this one ladies and gentlemen

3 Silva October 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Awful.

4 Student October 11, 2017 at 8:11 PM

Can’t wait to get lung cancer.. Sarcasm. There were many students today that were having problems; mostly asthma. Going to school shouldn’t be required for them. As a matter of fact, since we have benchmarks, it would be better for the school to cancel since there are many students not going.

5 anon October 11, 2017 at 8:12 PM

So they can cancel the parade and practices today, and the football game for tomorrow, but not school?

6 Mr.Wonderful October 11, 2017 at 8:12 PM

No school = No money. All CV wants is $$$.

7 Pissed CVCHS Parent October 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM

EVERY OTHER SCHOOL IS CLOSED BECAUSE OF HAZARDOUS AIR THAT COULD EFFECT OUR CHILDRENS HEALTH BUT CV IS STILL HAVING SCHOOL SO THEY CAN MAKE AN EXTRA BUCK

8 WhoDatGurl October 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Y’all were warned for YEARS and yet you did nothing to run this jerk out of town.

9 Matt October 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM

I do believe that there is something to be said about the fact that all other schools in the Mount Diablo Unified School District (and even Martinez Unified) have cancelled classes for the safety of their students, and that Clayton Valley Charter students are still required to go to class. It is interesting to note how charter schools are paid according to enrollment (that is, average daily attendance). Something tells me that the school might be placing the want for more money from the government (most likely to add to the ever-growing budget of the school’s football team) over the well-being of its student body. If this is the case, this is truly disheartening and I think that the school’s administration team should rethink this decision, as northerly winds are forecast to increase, bringing more unhealthy air from the wildfires into the area. Disgusting.

10 Cv parent October 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM

This is ridiculous our kids should not be allowed at school. Cv really doesn’t care about anyone’s health. Shame on all cv admin

11 Cv student October 11, 2017 at 8:17 PM

Thanks CV!! While all the schools around us deemed it unsafe to be in school, you thought it would be a good idea to keep us in school, where there isn’t possibly enough room for the 2200 student of the overpopulated campus to remain inside at all times. I wonder if it has anything to do with the benchmark tests that are going on this week…

12 student October 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM

This school is mostly outdoors how do they think they can provide enough indoor space for us without putting everyone in classrooms for brunch and lunch? it bothers me that all other schools don’t have school tomorrow yet we do. is our health not important enough? what are the admin trying to prove? that they have the power and authority to make us attend school when Concord’s air quality is labeled as “unhealthy”? way to go CV you really seem to care about our well being.

13 cv parent October 11, 2017 at 8:19 PM

i don’t think any student should attend school

14 Go Pitt October 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Pittsburg and Antioch Unified are also closed. Come on CV!

15 Mary Fouts October 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM

I am only letting my dogs outside today to go potty, quickly. They both sneezed this afternoon and evening when going out. And CVCHS wants to submit our children to this can’t breathe mess? Shame on them! Smoke everywhere.

16 Patricia October 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM

My son will
Probably stay home

17 CVCHS MOM October 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM

what a disgrace!!

18 Cv parent October 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM

This is extremely disgusting of the administration to do, the fact that they don’t care about the moneymakers (students) is really disheartening. If your student goes to Clayton Valley keep them at home! It’s very unsafe and it’s the right thing to do. They claim that “Students will remain indoors” but that’s simply a false statement, the hallways are very small and aren’t air conditioned. There’s no room for the students to be during lunch and brunch but outdoors, the very small hallways, and the cafeteria. Keep that in mind parents. Your childs health is more important then a day of school.

19 Lamont October 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Parents – keep; them home!

20 CVCHS MOM October 11, 2017 at 8:30 PM

we just got a robo call. how nice of them. they are keeping hallways and classrooms open so kids dont have to be outside. Idiots!!!

21 CDB CV Parent October 11, 2017 at 8:33 PM

My daughter didn’t feel well when CV made them stay outside for lunch today, this is so pathetic that CV is risking the health and well being of our kids. I’m so disappointed with this administration.

22 Garth Andrews October 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM

I have no problem using my real name. I am absolutely disgusted with this decision.

23 Pissed student October 11, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Let’s all have a standoff in the parking lot dont go to class everyone

24 Karen October 11, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Parents could over ride that decision by keeping their kids home “sick’. Just sayin’

25 cvchs mom October 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM

My kid will stay home, a very much unexcused absence. No $ for Dave.

26 It's me October 11, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Pittsburg and Antioch don’t have school on 10/12/27. Friday is to be determined

27 It's me October 11, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Oops. Meant 10/12/17

28 Go for it October 11, 2017 at 8:40 PM

You wanted a charter so bad…..

29 cvchs mom October 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM

@Karen, don’t call in sick, tell them you are keeping them out because of the smoke.

@Pissed Student, just don’t go, don’t risk your health standing outside.

30 Insuranceman October 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM

More lemon pledge

31 A mad yet confusion mom October 11, 2017 at 8:46 PM

I am confusion why Davey making my kid go out to school when coughing like a cow.

32 Anon October 11, 2017 at 8:47 PM

DVC and LMC canceled classes tomorrow

33 CDB CV Parent October 11, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Kids have benchmarks tomorrow so they can’t stay home it will effect their grades.

34 Pittsburg Pirates October 11, 2017 at 8:50 PM

I think it’s very sad how CV isn’t thinking straight. I guess their eyes are closed to what’s going on and reading that school districts have put the safety of their students first.

If my child did go to CV, I would keep my child home until I got a green light from BAAQMD.

KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME!!

35 ConcordMike October 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Speechless!

36 Good Idea October 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM

I agree with what seems to be all of you- if you think this is a bad idea and not in the best interests of your child’s health, then keep your kids home. That is the only way to let the school know you do not agree with this decision.

37 Student October 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM

This school is a ticking bomb. I hope that they close the school down for good before my little sister is a freshman so she won’t have to deal with the same crap I have for four years.

38 Parent October 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM

CV Board and Administrators know that hundreds of kids have no choice but to walk to/from school. One of the parking lots they use is even off campus meaning those kids are walking to and from campus as well. In addition, this is not an enclosed campus. Students have no choice but to go outside in order to move from one class to the next. Today’s air quality was at unhealthy levels, tomorrow is supposed to be worse. CV cancelled today’s homecoming parade because of air quality. The parade is literally one block long but it’s ok for kids to walk to/from campus tomorrow, which for some kids is a 30+ minute walk each way. Leads me to believe it’s about the $$, and not the health/safety of the students.

39 Mama Bear October 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Wow this shows what their priorities are. I wouldn’t send my kids if they went there. People should stay indoors tomorrow, it’s supposed to be worse than today.

40 another cv parent October 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM

@CDB, what is benchmark testing? how does it affect their grades?
I want to keep my daughter home tomorrow but she should not be punished academically if she stays home.

41 unbelievable! October 11, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Now this is truly unbelievable! I cannot believe that the administration is making this call to have the students come to school. It’s nice to see that many of the other school districts put the health of the students above the mighty dollar! EVERY parent should call in to the attendance informing the school that their student will not be attending due to the very unhealthy air quality. Wouldn’t put it past CV to not cancel their Friday football game either!
Guess we shall see!

42 CDB CV Parent October 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM

#42 thank you. The kids are under the impression it effects their grades, if it doesn’t I’m not sending them to school.

43 Patricia October 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM

My son said the benchmark test does not affect their grades . Only shows how they are doing vs other students

44 Mr. Enigma October 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM

It is worth noting that CV property is still owned by MDUSD and it’s HVAC systems are run by MDUSD. So a school district with similar schools in the same geographic area has said the school is not safe enough for the health and safety of the children. Not only would I call and complain, but contact accountable parties like the county office. I bet they’ll still make the football team play regardless of health and safety.

45 CDB CV Parent October 11, 2017 at 9:23 PM

#44 embarrassing enough I don’t exactly know what benchmark testing is I just remember that last year when my daughter had them they made such a big deal of it, and her and her friends are all worried about missing them this week.

46 CV Student October 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM

This is ridiculous. It should be legally mandated that if the air reaches too bad of a quality, classes should be canceled. As a student with asthma that has to walk partially to school, I am genuinely fearful for my health. This just goes to show how capitalistic and money-hungry this school and its admin are. They are willing to risk the health of hundreds of students all so they can get another dollar. I’m disgusted.

47 Student October 11, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Cv student here, to be clear, if any parents were concerned about their children being punished academically don’t be. If your child misses a bench mark the teacher has to give them an opportunity to do it whether it’s during a lunch or brunch break or after school.

48 RCharlton October 11, 2017 at 9:44 PM

An absolute disgrace!

49 Curious October 11, 2017 at 9:45 PM

@31
Yep; they wanted that charter so bad. Great football; Go Ugly Eagles! Now . . . not so much,

50 Concerned Parent October 11, 2017 at 9:59 PM

The fact that they value money over our childrens safety is appalling and should not be tolerated.

51 Zap October 11, 2017 at 10:07 PM

Walnut Creek School District is staying open too.

52 Zap October 11, 2017 at 10:07 PM

As well as the Acalanes School District.

53 Bill Pickle October 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM

The complainers say kids should stay home from school because of the hazardous air. What difference will it make? Will all the kids who do stay home be holding their breaths until the smoke all clears?

54 Cynthia Herrmann October 11, 2017 at 10:32 PM

I am glad they are keeping school open. the kids can study inside. I bet you find a lot of kids at the movies and the mall tomorrow and not inside as they were supposed to do.

55 uh huhhhh October 11, 2017 at 10:45 PM

DON’T SEND THEM TO SCHOOL, PERIOD!!!!!!

56 TPC October 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Benchmark testing has nothing to do with GPA…it is just that, a benchmark, to determine how well students are keeping up with the curriculum.

57 CVCHS parent October 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM

My two kids will not be there tomorrow. They emailed their teachers, who were very understanding and said they will make arrangements for test retakes Friday or Monday.

58 CDB CV Parent October 11, 2017 at 11:17 PM

In regards to his message the kids will actually be inside they stay home, my daughter still isn’t feeling well from being outside for lunch and breaks. Stop making excuses CV you being selfish. And to those that are saying some kids will be at the movies, mall etc. that may be true but for many kids will be home to br cautious to take care of their health; it should be there right without having to be worried to suffer academically.

Good Evening,

As was reported earli,er CVCHS is open for school tomorrow and Friday. This is a decision arrived at in consultation with the CVCHS School Board and other community members. Many schools, such as De La Salle / Carondelet, Walnut Creek School District, Acalanes Union High School District and San Ramon Valley USD are all open tomorrow. Please appreciate that the air is the same at home and at school.

We will keep our rooms closed and filtered AC turned on and continue to monitor air quality throughout the day.

Thanks much for your concern.

Dave Linzey
Executive Director

59 Sara October 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Dear Dave

You had a “consultation” with the school board and community members? You are such a phony- anyone who has ever worked at the charter or been at a board meeting knows you make the decisions and the brain dead sycophants on the board nod their heads collectively whenever you want them to. There is no record of the board ever disagreeing with you about anything.

Enough of that……Thanks for being so damn stupid I hope every kid at CVCHS and their parents march down to your district office tomorrow and have a sit-in until you resign.

60 Student October 12, 2017 at 12:05 AM

I would just like to say that the schools that are staying open are only wealthy schools. For example DLS. Private and rich. Maybe CV is staying open because they want to appear rich and superior to “poorer” schools. Maybe they believe that staying open shows they’re responsible for education. Just because of those “awards” they show all over the front of the school. Regardless, they are staying open for their reputation. It is so unfortunate that they are not fully taking their students into consideration. No matter how many emails Linzey gets, he won’t change his decision. Too arrogant to have some perspective.

61 Taxpayer October 12, 2017 at 1:40 AM

Walnut Creek Schools Open, De La Salle and Carondolet Open – Antioch and Pittsburg Schools Closed Hmmmmmm … the complainers should transfer … correct decision CV.

62 Ignorant October 12, 2017 at 3:55 AM

I’m amazed at the level of ignorance on this thread and just pure whining.
Some of these conclusions that have been made are utterly ridiculous. Put down your pitchforks, there’s no big bad monster in a castle. If you are a parent, quit whinIng and keep your kid home. That’s your right as a parent with an excused absence.

63 B October 12, 2017 at 4:26 AM

No matter if the school is open, it’s always our duties as parents to make the final decision for our children’s safety. If you feel your child needs to stay home it shouldn’t matter if the school is open. Good luck

64 Air quality October 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM

Clayton Valley has all upgraded air conditioning unlike most of the other schools in MDUSD. The kids air in their classrooms are better at school than most people’s homes and for sure better than the rooms with no air at all.

65 Deb October 12, 2017 at 5:54 AM

If your child doesn’t go today, don’t call in! If it’s unexcused, they don’t get their money. I hate this school. Had one child graduate there and another is there now. It’s run so poorly. So glad my third and youngest decided on Northgate when she starts high school.

66 Parent October 12, 2017 at 7:09 AM

That’s great, Dave L! You had a “consultation’ with your Board of Directors. Remind me again of their qualifications to act as consultants regarding air quality. Ridiculous!

67 Concerned Parent October 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM

Now fellow parents you see how the school really views your children. Nothing more than a monetary unit. Question is what are you going to do about it! Answer NOTHING! You are going to whine about it and that’s it. MyChild is being transferred out as of Monday! F Dave and his money! #mychildispriceless

68 Curious October 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM

Supposing the kids do stay home, how would that be healthier than being at school? Would’t they be indoors both places? I do realize there would be a walk from the car to indoors. How long would that take? Three minutes?

I am just trying to understand how being indoors at school would be less healthy than being indoors at home?

69 D.V. Guy October 12, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Once again the KID$ COME FIR$T…………………

70 A mad yet confusion mom October 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM

I am at school and I feel like a cowly cow

71 Parent October 12, 2017 at 8:24 AM

@69 Curious

Not all kids are fortunate enough to have rides to school. Hundreds walk to/from school. Additionally, many walk to county bus stops then walk from the bus stops on Clayton Rd to campus. They will then make those same walks home at the end of the day. Additionally, there are 2200 students opening exterior building doors all day long. Students will be in gym classes that have no air systems at all (unless they put air in the gym that I am unaware of). So yes, given that, I do believe it is healthier at home where it is a much more controlled environment.

72 Anon October 12, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Whether you call in any absence or not, excused or unexcused, there is no funding if your student is absent a full day for any public school. If your student is in any class, even for a minute, the school receives full funding for the day. The only thing an unexcused absence or “not calling in” will do is give your student a truancy for the day. MDUSD closed all schools; they will probably file for an ADA waiver to the state to get their funding for the day. Since CVCHS didn’t shut down they probably can’t file for lost attendance today.

73 Concernicus October 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM

@CV Student: Welcome to the real world, kiddo. Nobody gives a rats ass about your health but you and your parents. Not school, not the law, not advertisers, nobody.

74 cvchs mom October 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM

@air quality–when did CVCHS upgrade their A/C? Did they install Hepa filters?

75 jp5air October 12, 2017 at 9:17 AM

I guess De La Salle, Carondelet, and Walnut Creek City Schools also don’t care about students health and only care about money? Where is the outrage about those schools staying open?

76 Jeff October 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM

KEEP THAT MONEY FLOWING IN BABY YEAH!!!!!!

77 Rollo Tomasi October 12, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Walnut Creek schools are open, Acalanes Union schools are open, DLS, Carondelet, St. Agnes – the list of open schools goes on. Yet nearly every commenter on Claycord directs their vitriol at CVCHS. That school’s biggest problem isn’t bad students, bad staff or bad administration. Granted, these are all problems at CVCHS and every other high school. The biggest problem CVCHS has is parents/adults that feel like complaining is actually the same as doing something.

78 Parent October 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM

@jp5air

This thread was specific to CVCHS, that’s probably why 😉 There are concerns about the other schools on the other threads. But seeing how you asked, I will say that the safety of all kids should be the number one priority, I don’t care what school they attend.

79 Voter94521 October 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM

If you want your child to stay home today just call them out sick due to air quality. Simple as that. It’s your choice, stop whining.

80 Zob October 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Ha

81 unbelievable! October 12, 2017 at 1:18 PM

at Parent #71, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT with your statement.

Perhaps if “Executive Director” Dave Linzey is keeping the school open for the students to come to school when the air quality is so poor, maybe he can arrange to transport them himself? To and from school? As you said MANY walk to and from school or take the bus and the bus stop is several blocks up the street. Hmmmm…wonder if Dave would agree to this?

82 Rollo Tomasi October 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Even when the AQI is at the “unhealthy” level, the advisory says that those with heart or lung conditions, older adults and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. If a walk to school or from a bus stop is “prolonged or heavy exertion” for your child, he or she has bigger problems than the North Bay fires.

83 How many enjoy sitting by a campfire, roasting s'mores for a few hours and worry? October 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Last night, my husband spent an hour outdoors. He said someone asked him wasn’t he worried about the smoke? He said he responded that thousands of people enjoy camping, sitting around campfires for hours, chatting, make s’mores, etc. for hours and nobody worries about health for that…he said he was pretty sure that was just as smokey or more.

84 Concerned Parent October 12, 2017 at 3:17 PM

@Rollo Tomasi – People have lost their lives and homes in these destructive fires. People are truly concerned about their children breathing this toxic air. Let’s not undermine health safety or this disaster!

85 clayton valley student October 12, 2017 at 4:41 PM

so we have to go to school but you have to postpone all of our homecoming actitvities?thanks a lot cv! you’re the worst.

86 Rollo Tomasi October 12, 2017 at 5:06 PM

@ Concerned parent 84:

At least three families that we are very close to have lost their homes, and we have other family who are there on the front lines fighting this fire. Don’t lecture me. I am simply saying that many people and public institutions are overreacting to the local presence of smoke PER THE EPA ADVISORIES.

87 asthma patient October 12, 2017 at 6:42 PM

@Rollo Tomasi, you seem to take pleasure in lecturing to everyone else. Perhaps you should know asthma is the number one chronic childhood illness that impacts education. Yesterday, the EPA advisory levels were in the second highest category, and sustained activity and exposure over prolonged time has an amplifying effect. So unless you have an expertise is respiratory health or public health policy it would appear you are not qualified to make judgement calls about the health and safety of others on the matter.

88 Parent October 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM

@83
Respectfully, I grew up camping and take my kids camping. We’ve sat around many fires just as you described. However, when the breeze blows smoke towards our faces, we move our chairs to the other side of the fire pit. My guess is your husband does the same.