ALERT: All Mt. Diablo Unified School District Schools Will Be Closed on Thursday Due to Poor Air Quality

October 11, 2017 18:52 pm · 73 comments

The following message is from the Mt. Diablo Unified School District:

As a result of the poor air quality and the ongoing wildfires, schools will be closed tomorrow, Thursday, October 12th. Your child’s safety was the primary factor leading to this decision. Currently, it is being reported that only three percent of the fires have been contained, and we expect that air quality will be even more severe tomorrow.

Pending containment of the fires, we ask that you make a short term plan for your children should we need to close on Friday. We will be in contact with you as soon as possible should that be necessary. Updates will also be posted on the district website.

Nicola Wakefield October 11, 2017 at 7:00 PM

I have nothing from Diablo View confirming this, nor is there anything on their website

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM

It’s real. We don’t report fake news.

Brig October 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Where are you getting this info mayor? We haven’t been notified.

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM

From the district.

Susan October 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM

I work at Concord High School. My supervisor called me about an hour ago to let me know that the schools will be closed. It has been posted on the MDUSD FB page. It’s real.

Dave October 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM

So the air is better at home than 1 mile away at school? Ridiculous!!!!

Rachael October 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Does anyone know if Clayton Valley will be closed?

Cecilia October 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Just received a call from shore acres stating school will be closed tomorrow pending friday….its real

A.J. October 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM

My wife just received an automated call from the district, this is indeed true news.

CHSmom October 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Just got an automated call from the school, definitely closed tomorrow and possibly Friday as well

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Clayton Valley Charter has school as far as we know. They are not part of the district, and they never send us anything.

Kim Dromlewicz October 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM

My son heard that Northgate is to be closed tomorrow from a friend who goes there. My son does not go to an MDUSD school. If the closure is to due to the smoke would it not be smarter to keep the school open so the students can be inside away from as much smoke as possible? Where do you think most of those students will be tomorrow? Out and about breathing the smoke outdoors while doing all they can outside school. Not so smart of the school and when is the day off made up?

Jenny October 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Just received phone and email message from the district.

Parent October 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Just got the call as well, which was not fake news

Not your average. October 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM

I receive a call from school it confirm is true no class tomorow they will decide depend if this got worse friday will be close too.

Not your average. October 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM

westwood,el dorado,concord high. closed

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Everyone – we don’t post fake news. If we tell you school is closed, then it’s closed. We haven’t let you down in the last 10 years, and we don’t plan to in the future. Our news is confirmed and real. Thank you for reading.

Katy hamilton October 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Just received email from Northgate. They will be closed.

Sanna October 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM

What is the FB page called for mdusd I can’t find it

Ashley October 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM

My baby brother goes to ayers elementary! Do you know if they have school tomorrow?

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Ayers is closed.

Christina October 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM

I have a family member who works for the Unified School District and she just received a call that all schools are closed tomorrow and she doesn’t have to go to work so this is not fake news

Mom of Three October 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM

I received a call from MDUSD a few ago stating that school was cancelled tomorrow and we may want to make plans for our kids for Friday just in case. I’m still waiting to hear from CVCHS. As to the air quality at home….well, keep your house closed and the kids inside.

Jerk October 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM

It’s a shame that Most Parents do not have updated Phone numbers on file with the very school that their child is attending.
Also a shame that a school has to use FascismBook

Tracy October 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM

We received an automated message from MDUSD 5 minutes ago. It is true.

Jstlies1 October 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM

If you don’t think schools should close, take it up with the school district. This site reports the news, they don’t make it. Its up to parents to keep their kids indoors.

concord native October 11, 2017 at 7:19 PM

I work for the MDUSD and we had so many children coming into the office with breathing problems yesterday. I am happy to hear that they have closed the schools tomorrow and my hopes are that these kids will stay inside. I will be really upset if I hear that Friday night football games are not cancelled. Need to put the kids first!

Original G October 11, 2017 at 7:19 PM

It’s why we come to Claycord.com to hear it first, once again.

concord native October 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Anyone who has a child in the MDUSD should NOT send them to school tomorrow….there will be NO school. You should be receiving a phone call alerting you, but take this as notice. NO SCHOOL tomorrow….and possibly Friday too.

Mama Cowell October 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Any news about the private schools in the area?
DLS/Carondelet/CVCHS/CCC?
St. Agnes etc?

M October 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM

How about Diablo Valley College? I know it isn’t a district school but it is around College Park which is going to be cancelled and there was a lot of fire and smoke around the campus.

aunt sue October 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Does anyone have info on if the Diane Adair facilities will be open??

Concerned CVCHS Parent October 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM

How is the air at CVCHS better then the air at concord less then 4 miles away.

Shannon October 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM

It is not safer for students to go to school. Majority of MDUSD schools are not self-contained. Students would have to leave the building to use the restroom. Plus, many of the schools have poor ventilation and the smoke still gets into the classrooms.

Nguyen Le October 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM

I just received a phone call from the school district saying that due to the poor air quality, schools will be closed tomorrow. Not sure about Friday though.

CV parent October 11, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Clayton Valley is holding school tomorrow. Just received the text.

Rachael October 11, 2017 at 7:33 PM

My son just found information on the remind app. An e-mail is going out shortly for Clayton Valley Parents. The notice my son received said Clayton Valley could be open tomorrow.

Dall October 11, 2017 at 7:35 PM

Stupidity. Real life and death situation are going on in this state. I’m going to to work. Our children should go to school. My Diablo is not burning.

J October 11, 2017 at 7:35 PM

good, my kid will be safer inside my house, rather then walking to and from class. she has asthma so this is good news.

jerk -not a shame, they used a lot of different ways to get the word out like phones, email, claycord, facebook …..good for them to spread the word

Bee friend October 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. My kids go to El Dorado Middle School and I am truly disappointed in our school district. We are in no way directly affected by the fires in the North Bay. If Mt Diablo was on fire and houses in Concord were affected I would feel differently.

Areis1224 October 11, 2017 at 7:37 PM

What about Loma vista adult school. Is that closed as well?

Jennifer Miller October 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Carondelet sent notification at 4:00 pm or so- yes school is on tomorrow.

Edson pedemonte October 11, 2017 at 7:46 PM

Just got a voice message from the school district that schools will be closed tomorrow due to air quality and maybe Friday also

Melissa October 11, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Really wish we would hear something from Clayton…

Lamont October 11, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Students have never been a high priority at the Charter.David Linzey, Mrs. Linzey, and Ted Meriam are more important but they are bloodless anyway.

Mika October 11, 2017 at 7:59 PM

CVCHS to remain open? Wow! Guess they breathe different air than we do!

They should cancel all the football practice and games this week as well.

HSG October 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Dianne Adair daycare centers are closed tomorrow, just received an email. Hope this helps. Stay safe everyone!

Skilletz October 11, 2017 at 8:01 PM

St Agnes still open tomorrow in Concord. Just an FYI.

Also, it’s crazy that some of you didn’t think this was valid news! How credible has this site always been? Tsk, Tsk.

Triggered CV Student October 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM

The fact that every school around us is closed yet CV is not really goes to show how much priority CV puts on its students. Nooooo, we need that one extra day of health problems so Dave Linzey can repaint the football field.

A. October 11, 2017 at 8:04 PM

Anyone know if the Walnut Creek School District will close as well?

Me October 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM

All MDUSS schools are closed FYI. We have been receiving email and voice messages. Thank you for the information claycord. Some people just need drama

anon October 11, 2017 at 8:11 PM

I work for MDUSD and I haven’t received a phone call. If I show up for work and get told to go home do I get 3 hours of pay for showing up?

Mika October 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Any word if Walnut Creek schools are open? Or the Alcalanes District?

nossica October 11, 2017 at 8:20 PM

I go to Mount Diablo Edd and I texted my teacher earlier and she said we are confirmed closed for tomorrow so the schools are actually closed tomorrow

Jalyce October 11, 2017 at 8:21 PM

I work for Dianne Adair and ALL centers will be closed tomorrow as well. Please check your email if you have a child enrolled with us. The directors have sent out a notification. Thank you.

TN October 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Berean just sent notice that school is closed tomorrow. Friday is TBD.

Teacher Teacher October 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM

As a teacher in mdusd the air quality was bad by 10:30 today. Students and teachers were covering their faces while moving between periods. So…im glad our superintendent made the call to close. Keep the kids home and if you(parents) dont have to go to work…dont go. Lets see what happens on friday.

Oy Vey October 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM

Anon #60, does the district have your current phone number? Check your profile on Employee Online or call Personnel to check.

TPC October 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM

#46 If you feel “we are in no way directly affected by the fires in the North Bay” you may want to take a step outside for a few deep breaths…have a look at the smoke-choked air…perhaps give the air quality index for our area a look. We are all being directly affected by the fires.

SeniorofCCC October 11, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Bunch of nonsense not having school around here. Bunch of whining crybabies can’t go to school cause of smoke.

lunch lady October 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM

I received a call about an hour ago from my supervisor. We are closed.
All of the complaints that the children should go to school. Remember the multi-use rooms are the only ones that still don’t have air conditioning. So today we were filled with the smell of smoke all day long,.It was very hard to breath. There was no closing of the doors or windows it is just to hot.

RC October 11, 2017 at 8:53 PM

If MDUSD schools cannot post urgent messages on their website(s), then parents who have kids attending those schools should be grateful, Claycord.com takes responsibility to inform our neighborhoods. By posting such messages on Facebook doesn’t show much professionalism, especially if they think EVERYONE has an FB account or wastes their time on such —-.

To think CVCHS doesn’t care about their students is stupid! It’s because they do care about their welfare —their students academic welfare, that they have decided,to keep school open. Yes, some students who have asthma are more susceptible to poor air quality and those students should stay home, but CVCHS needs to address those families to be sure their student(s) get the proper materials to keep up. It’s for good reason, that Clayton Valley was turned into a charter school. But, we will be looking at you CVCHS, to see how far your carry your decsion regarding post school events! Hopefully, you will know how far to go on this.

All I can say is that I am thankful our child doesn’t go to any MDUSD school! Our principal sent out a recorded phone message to every family in the school. Our school will be open for BAU and keep the students inside, as they’ve done all week. I’m sure students who haven’t or will not attend our school this week will be accommodated, so they can keep up with their respective classes. It’s this type of philosophy, which makes a non-public school a very special place and personally, I am very thankful for that!

anon October 11, 2017 at 9:02 PM

@Oy Vey, I’ve worked for MDUSD for over 25 years and I still have the same address and phone number.

CM October 11, 2017 at 9:04 PM

Is pleasant Hill middle School closed tomorrow

CLAYCORD.com October 11, 2017 at 9:05 PM

Yes, all MDUSD schools are closed.

Bojangles October 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Are the District Offices closed as well? (Carlotta Drive)

Still anon October 11, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Claycord is the real deal for news!!!!

Parent October 11, 2017 at 10:26 PM

The Dianne Adair at Tice Creek Elementry will be OPEN, since Walnut Creek school are NOT CLOSED.

TPC October 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Bojangles –
The robocall stated that district employees do not need to report to work tomorrow. Site principals should report for the first 2 hours to make sure everyone got the message that school is closed, and only cabinet and council level managers report for a normal workday. So the district office will most likely be closed for regular business.

Deep breath October 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM

@ RC

You should type 5 paragraphs next time because 3 wasn’t enough.

CVCHS parent October 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM

@ Dave #7
Is your last name Linzey, by chance?

The air quality inside our home is far better than the air my kids would be breathing between classes at CV tomorrow. One of my kids has asthma, so I’d like to think we know what’s best for our own kids.

Mint October 11, 2017 at 11:58 PM

@RC

I received a text message, an e-mail,and a voice mail from
Mt. Diablo Unified School District about the closure.

I do not know why you are so hostile…

Please check the fact first next time.

Jean October 12, 2017 at 6:36 PM

To Dave,
No, the air quality is not better at home a mile away from the school. However, at home you can keep you child inside.
It can be hard to concentrate on your studies when you can’t breathe.